Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

So a 20-man roster to start the season.  That's interesting.

 

I'm guessing CAP concerns and TVR on injured list who will be back at some point played into the decision. I can't imagine we won't carry as extra player when we head west later this month. But yeah it is interesting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, OBXer said:

 

I'm guessing CAP concerns and TVR on injured list who will be back at some point played into the decision. I can't imagine we won't carry as extra player when we head west later this month. But yeah it is interesting

I think we'll see it run as a business and money saved where it can be saved.  When you have guys 2 hours away that can go up and down with no waiver issues, I get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, OBXer said:

 

I'm guessing CAP concerns and TVR on injured list who will be back at some point played into the decision. I can't imagine we won't carry as extra player when we head west later this month. But yeah it is interesting

So, does anyone have a final figure as to where we sit relative to the Cap? And do we think this is going to be a constant struggle thru this year to stay within the Cap, and Waddell possibly seeking out some type of trade for relief?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, does anyone have a final figure as to where we sit relative to the Cap? And do we think this is going to be a constant struggle thru this year to stay within the Cap, and Waddell possibly seeking out some type of trade for relief?

spotrac is showing us with an estimated  $1,777,667 in cap space. I don;t know if it will be a constant struggle but it appears cap space will play into decisions this year. i wouldn't rule out Waddell making additional moves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know that we, myself (a big fan and biased toward him) included, hoped Necas would have had a more eye popping, productive camp. But what I'm seeing is a brain trust that sees the massive upside and is going to roll with Necas this year. I could very well be wrong, but I think Necas will have to play himself out of a slot that is his to lose. The final kicker for him is the PP. 

 

The team ID"d the previously mentioned three areas of concern on the PP. 1. QB 2. Elite playmaker 3. Sniper/net frront. The is no question to me that Gardiner is #1, and I think he'll have a big impact there. But I had always assumed Haula was #2. But as good as he is, I now realize that guy is Necas. And he has that elite level in him that is beyond Haula. If Necas produces points with playmaking on the PP, he will not see Charlotte again, IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, OBXer said:

spotrac is showing us with an estimated  $1,777,667 in cap space. I don;t know if it will be a constant struggle but it appears cap space will play into decisions this year. i wouldn't rule out Waddell making additional moves

I guess I hadn't realized that much had been trimmed off, going from several million over to now $1.7mil under? How pray tell did that happen, or is that based on Williams not resigning yet and TvR on injured reserve. Guess I'm still not conversant with "Cap", and don't for instance understand how "injured reserve" works vs Cap? Seems like there so many innuendos that these figures take on to me, it's no wonder the bigger venues always seem to find loopholes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I guess I hadn't realized that much had been trimmed off, going from several million over to now $1.7mil under? How pray tell did that happen, or is that based on Williams not resigning yet and TvR on injured reserve. Guess I'm still not conversant with "Cap", and don't for instance understand how "injured reserve" works vs Cap? Seems like there so many innuendos that these figures take on to me, it's no wonder the bigger venues always seem to find loopholes?

 

Well CapFriendly has at $1,100,250 in cap space so I guess it depends who you look at

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we on this board like to be positive, but also to temper expectations. But gotta report what I see. The Athletic currently has the Canes as projected for the 6th best record (really tied for 5th with Nashville) at the end of the season, projecting 100.1 points. This puts us ahead of such teams as Vegas, Washington, Pittsburgh, Calgary and San Jose, and around 20 other teams. 

 

Just for fun, we are the first team listed in the Metro, so if they are future tellers, we'd win the Metro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, remkin said:

I know we on this board like to be positive, but also to temper expectations. But gotta report what I see. The Athletic currently has the Canes as projected for the 6th best record at the end of the season, projecting 100.1 points. This puts us ahead of such teams as Vegas, Washington, Pittsburgh, Calgary and San Jose, and around 20 other teams. 

 

To me, it's all going to come down to chemistry.  On paper we look a lot better than last year, but we swapped out a lot of parts (including Willy) and until we see how they fit together . . .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, remkin said:

I know we on this board like to be positive, but also to temper expectations. But gotta report what I see. The Athletic currently has the Canes as projected for the 6th best record (really tied for 5th with Nashville) at the end of the season, projecting 100.1 points. This puts us ahead of such teams as Vegas, Washington, Pittsburgh, Calgary and San Jose, and around 20 other teams. 

 

Just for fun, we are the first team listed in the Metro, so if they are future tellers, we'd win the Metro. 

I liked it better when we were picked to finish last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cc said:

I liked it better when we were picked to finish last.

I get it. Part of me does too. It is sort of nice to finally get some respect though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK let's balance the upside with some headwinds. The Canes are ranked #11 toughest schedule in terms of goalie match up. That is, our goalie vs. theirs. Most nights, this prediction says, we'll be facing a goalie better than ours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, remkin said:

OK let's balance the upside with some headwinds. The Canes are ranked #11 toughest schedule in terms of goalie match up. That is, our goalie vs. theirs. Most nights, this prediction says, we'll be facing a goalie better than ours. 

Especially if it’s their backup ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Especially if it’s their backup ;)

I have to think one of the main downsides of getting newfound respect will be less backups. Of course historically that hasn't mattered! But this is a new day in Raleigh! And nothing like starting it all off against one of the best in the league tomorrow.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I'm more interested in wins within the same timeframe. That said, you can't judge hits based on preseason--if you can judge them at all, and I'm not sure anybody can.

 

Since he came up, Fleury has been the only Canes defender to consistently play the body first in our own corners. That doesn't always show up in the stats as a hit, but he tends to come out of those tussles with the puck--which is the whole point.

 

Now, if you're talking about intimidation, okay--with Fleury, you'd be barking up the wrong tree. But that's why we have Roddy.

The Canes feature a lot of fast skating, finesse type players.  The three additions, Gardiner, Haula, and Dzingel, all have injury histories.  Other teams will try to push the Canes around and the Canes need an answer besides their coach talking from the bench.  While Svechnikov may be a power forward, you hardly want the player with conceivably the highest ceiling being that guy, but he may have too.  Besides him, I only see Marty, Nino, and Edmundson.  Staal and Fleury are big, but don't play that kind of game.  McGinn has that edge and won't back down, but he is not real big either.

We will see if this becomes a factor in the Canes season.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, beboplar said:

The Canes feature a lot of fast skating, finesse type players.  The three additions, Gardiner, Haula, and Dzingel, all have injury histories.  Other teams will try to push the Canes around and the Canes need an answer besides their coach talking from the bench.  While Svechnikov may be a power forward, you hardly want the player with conceivably the highest ceiling being that guy, but he may have too.  Besides him, I only see Marty, Nino, and Edmundson.  Staal and Fleury are big, but don't play that kind of game.  McGinn has that edge and won't back down, but he is not real big either.

We will see if this becomes a factor in the Canes season.

You can't hit what you can't catch.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, remkin said:

I know that we, myself (a big fan and biased toward him) included, hoped Necas would have had a more eye popping, productive camp. But what I'm seeing is a brain trust that sees the massive upside and is going to roll with Necas this year. I could very well be wrong, but I think Necas will have to play himself out of a slot that is his to lose. The final kicker for him is the PP. 

 

The team ID"d the previously mentioned three areas of concern on the PP. 1. QB 2. Elite playmaker 3. Sniper/net frront. The is no question to me that Gardiner is #1, and I think he'll have a big impact there. But I had always assumed Haula was #2. But as good as he is, I now realize that guy is Necas. And he has that elite level in him that is beyond Haula. If Necas produces points with playmaking on the PP, he will not see Charlotte again, IMO. 

I wouldn't categorize Necas as an elite playmaker based on performance.  Maybe one day he will grow into that role, but who knows.  He is slight, not physical, and too often looks a little lost.  He is still really young, and while I hope I am pleasantly surprised, I do not see him sticking in the NHL this year.  So far the hype has exceeded reality, but that is not uncommon with young players.  If the Canes were way short on talent, then I see leaving him up as they would have no other choice.  That is not the case this year, and based on camp performance I would have preferred to see JG on opening night.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, remkin said:

OK let's balance the upside with some headwinds. The Canes are ranked #11 toughest schedule in terms of goalie match up. That is, our goalie vs. theirs. Most nights, this prediction says, we'll be facing a goalie better than ours. 

This might also mean that they are just underestimate our goalies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with both bebopper and top coincidentally above, the problem being that some teams(i.e. Washington) seem to scheme to somehow manage to "catch" those vulnerable players. Just wishing we had a slight bit more deterrence? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think not just the Metro, but the entire East is going to be brutal. I like our chances, but we can't take anything for granted. 

Edited by sleekfeeder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, reelpirate5 said:

I wouldn't categorize Necas as an elite playmaker based on performance.  Maybe one day he will grow into that role, but who knows.  He is slight, not physical, and too often looks a little lost.  He is still really young, and while I hope I am pleasantly surprised, I do not see him sticking in the NHL this year.  So far the hype has exceeded reality, but that is not uncommon with young players.  If the Canes were way short on talent, then I see leaving him up as they would have no other choice.  That is not the case this year, and based on camp performance I would have preferred to see JG on opening night.

I do mean elite potential. He thinks the game and makes plays at an elite level based on his experience to date. I am much more optimistic than you, (and others here too) that this game will translate into elite playmaking at the NHL level, and that it will happen this year. But then, I thought he'd stick last year, so full recognition I could be wrong again. 

 

What I'm seeing, and I could be over reading this, is that Brind'Amour seems to have him locked in. He's got him on the first PP unit, and when he injured his neck it wasn't about it being a shame since he's trying to make the team, but rather that it was a shame because we want him ready for opening night. I'm reading the tea leaves partly, and partly relying on my own opinion based on watching him make plays. Then, I'm also projecting the kind of player that fits today's NHL. And guys who see the ice, and make passes across the ice, (and the royal road), make the D and goalie move. Washington did this to us alot, but I see many teams trying more and more to make that type of play. Necas is IMO elite at that sort of play. He still has to figure out how to get consistent at it at the NHL level. BUT how does a young player learn to do it at the NHL level if he's not in the NHL? 

 

But it is absolutely possible now that Gauthier has come on so strongly that the team sends Necas back down. They did it last year. But I'm just putting a bet on that not happening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

This might also mean that they are just underestimate our goalies.

It's based on past performance BUT I fully agree. Because they could play better, especially Reimer, And if so? We rock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CAROLINA HURRICANES

Carolina Hurricanes
PROJECTED CAP HIT Tooltip : $79,950,289
PROJECTED LTIR USED Tooltip : $0
PROJECTED CAP SPACE Tooltip : $1,549,711
CURRENT CAP SPACE Tooltip : $1,549,711
TODAYS CAP HIT Tooltip : $79,950,289
 
This from Capfriendly now has TVR on IR, & Max McCormick on SOIR - Season Opening IR. Not sure what the difference is, but I'm sure it has to do with cap savings vs IR time. No one on LTIR.
 
20 man roster has got to be for cap savings(who thought I'd ever say that about the Canes!), & probably since no one was picked up on waivers. Send em down save a little cap space. then either guys come off IR, or you do a couple of call ups for the west coast trip.
Edited by rocheccw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...