The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Talked about Dougie’s goal against Philly

About J Willy: great to add a known quantity without giving anything up; was in routine contact with him throughout the year; no timetable on return to games, but he’s ready to play if a player gets hurt 

On Svech: he wants to succeed with the team, not as an individual 

On the division: Metro is a bloodbath, and it’s frustrating to win and not get ahead

On the team: Rod Brind’Amour is the MAN!!!  Players love his style, and we don’t play prevent with the lead, which often burns us because we can translate that into mistake prone play

On Whalers Night: we’ll keep it going as long as it remains popular

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, dinz said:

3s company in New York, think Lundquist goes somewhere?

Nah...I think they trade Gorgiev at the deadline as well as Kreider

On 1/6/2020 at 9:26 PM, CanesFan2003 said:

I am hoping they lose so they don't gain any ground on the Canes since we have lost 2 in a row now.

I would be more worried about Florida and Tampa Bay.  They both seem to be playing pretty well and their division

is easier than the Metro.  It's easier to pile up points against the Ottawa and Detroits of the world.

Fantastic 5-2 home stand for us.  

we are 3 points from 2nd and 2 from third. Pens have a game in hand and Islanders have 2 in hand.  Up 4 on the Flyers and 5 on the Panthers.

All weeks are huge with this ridiculous division but.

Next 4 we have three against the Metro (wash, BJs, Isles) and the Ducks sandwiched in there.  After that we have 2.5 weeks of western teams.  Maybe we will get on a run.  We are .800 against the west or close to it this season.

The next month we have 4 metro and 10 western teams.  

Ok... so we have depth at forward, depth at defense, and I would even say depth in goal. I know TD said this week we wont be "making a splash" at the deadline but what does everyone think we WILL do and what SHOULD we do?

I think if everyone gets going we will be very dangerous come playoff time. Foegs and Wallmark have taken off despite a slow start. If Nino, Gardiner, and Dzingel take off then watch out!

I still think this team could use more grit/physicality. Theyve got guys who can play with an edge they just havent really done so to this point (Staal, Nino, Svech, Dzingel, Mcginn, Martinook, Edmundson and even Fleury). Maybe they turn it on for the playoffs?

Barring any injuries I think if we do anything its a straight up hockey move (like perhaps moving TVR or Fleury for ex). No rentals. 

We moved DeHaan after signing him to an extended contract. Perhaps we trade Gardiner if he doesnt improve? 

Its been nice seeing the Canes in all these rumors since TD took over. But now that Williams has signed theres nothing!

I really get the feeling that this team is putting things together. The D zone is better, and the goalies ate some spinach or something. 

With guys like Foegele and Wallmark playing a ppg over nearly 20 games? Heck even Nino has scored and might get on a run. 

Gardiner is probably touch and go, but he looked really good last night, which could be part of why the D is looking better. 

Of course this could slip away, but so long as we figure out how to at least somewhat limit chances in our zone, we have so much offensive depth, we are absolutely legit. Currently our near greatness is obscured by the fact that so many teams with bigger names are providing storylines in the East:  the resurgence of both Tampa and Toronto, the ongoing specter of Washington, the "why don't they lose more?" Islanders, as well as even the "how are they even close?" Blue Jackets. And to top it off, the "how can they stay dominant with WWII level injuries?, Penguins."

All of those stories eclipse ours. But I bet this is fine with almost all of the long timers on here. We'll just keep rolling at our 102 point pace and let the other teams get the press. But I can guarantee that if we keep out game at this level, no Eastern team wants us in the first round. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Ok... so we have depth at forward, depth at defense, and I would even say depth in goal. I know TD said this week we wont be "making a splash" at the deadline but what does everyone think we WILL do and what SHOULD we do?

I think if everyone gets going we will be very dangerous come playoff time. Foegs and Wallmark have taken off despite a slow start. If Nino, Gardiner, and Dzingel take off then watch out!

I still think this team could use more grit/physicality. Theyve got guys who can play with an edge they just havent really done so to this point (Staal, Nino, Svech, Dzingel, Mcginn, Martinook, Edmundson and even Fleury). Maybe they turn it on for the playoffs?

Barring any injuries I think if we do anything its a straight up hockey move (like perhaps moving TVR or Fleury for ex). No rentals. 

We moved DeHaan after signing him to an extended contract. Perhaps we trade Gardiner if he doesnt improve? 

Its been nice seeing the Canes in all these rumors since TD took over. But now that Williams has signed theres nothing!

The committee never likes to rest, but I honestly cannot see any deadline moves this year baring a major setback by a goalie. 

Gardiner seems to be coming around, and we have to like the depth on D for the run anyways. And as mentioned, our depth up front is just sick. I mean in addition to the emergence of Wallmark and Foegele, even Nino and Stone Hands are putting up points. I've mentioned it before but, if Williams goes in for either McGinn or Martinook, we will have two 40 point capable forwards....on our 4th line. Not to mention a top 5 D man offensively. 

I get the "need more grit" notion. But who would we move out? We will not be the grittiest team, but you can't have everything. I'll take the skill and hope the character grit is enough. In today's NHL I think it will be, but I get that conventional wisdom says you need grit in the playoffs. 

But I don't think it was lack of grit that got us last year. It was a hot Boston team and losing special teams. The skill injection though has our PP in the top 10 now, so I like that.

Making it through the East in the playoffs though is going to be an insane gauntlet for any team that makes it. What I like most about us, is our lack of fear of good teams. That gives us a shot in any series. Just ask Washington. 

I'd also add that TD was on XM and said not to expect us to be buyers at the deadline. He does not believe in mortgaging the future unless the deal is extremely compelling. 

Those extremely compelling deals are pretty rare.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I'd also add that TD was on XM and said not to expect us to be buyers at the deadline. He does not believe in mortgaging the future unless the deal is extremely compelling. 

Those extremely compelling deals are pretty rare.

I think what he said was we wont be big game hunting at the deadline (paraphrasing).  We would do a small, depth deal that made sense because (as you mentioned) we don’t want to mortgage the future.

Edited by gocanes0506

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think what he said was we wont be big game hunting at the deadline (paraphrasing).  We would do a small, depth deal that made sense because (as you mentioned) we don’t want to mortgage the future.

Make sense, I missed the first part of that discussion. I don't know, it might be rose colored glasses, but baring two injuries to either defense or up front, or a goalie, I don't even see a depth move. I guess adding a bruiser maybe for the grit, but at least at the moment, I would probably take the no deal bet if all stays well. Admittedly though this committee never rests, so could be a bad bet.

The best news of the weekend is the bounce back from Reims and Mrazek after a shaky December for both.  They both have the ability to take us all the way.  Rough stretches will happen with any goaltender, its a hard job.  Its all about bouncing back and having more good stretches than rough ones.  Great to see even though both were shaky we still got some wins in December because its a team game and guys stepped up and got it done when the goaltending was mediocre   Havent been able to say that in 10 yrs

About grit:

Someone called in on The Aftermath last night and asked Forslund about the Canes lagging behind other teams in hits.  John pointed out that teams hit more when the opponent has the puck, and that more hits can indicate a team that's behind and chasing.  I took it that his feeling was that it's important to be physical in the right way. I'm grossly paraphrasing, wish I could pull up his specific points. 

I don't pretend to know how much physicality is needed to win in the playoffs.  Sure, Blues won the Cup last year.  But who was the more physical team last season, Canes or Caps?  And it wasn't long ago that teams that seemed to emphasize speed were winning it (Pens and 'Hawks?).  To me, one critical physical aspect that Canes have seemed to correct is sticking up for teammates.  The Canes of a couple years ago were embarrassing on that front. Last year and this year, seems like players have each others backs a lot more.  

Edited by LakeLivin

30 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

About grit:

Someone called in on The Aftermath last night and asked Forslund about the Canes lagging behind other teams in hits.  John pointed out that teams hit more when the opponent has the puck, and that more hits can indicate a team that's behind and chasing.  I took it that his feeling was that it's important to be physical in the right way. I'm grossly paraphrasing, wish I could pull up his specific points. 

I don't pretend to know how much physicality is needed to win in the playoffs.  Sure, Blues won the Cup last year.  But who was the more physical team last season, Canes or Caps?  And it wasn't long ago that teams that seemed to emphasize speed were winning it (Pens and 'Hawks?).  To me, one critical physical aspect that Canes have seemed to correct is sticking up for teammates.  The Canes of a couple years ago were embarrassing on that front. Last year and this year, seems like players have each others backs a lot more.  

I agree with Forslund . Hits have long been a measure of who doesn't have the puck, and speed and skill have long passed physical intimidation for cup wins. This is of course, not to say that you don't need physicality to get through the playoffs. Just that  you don't need to be the biggest baddest team out there.  Also, while a jarring hit can be very disruptive, our game is clearly positional and lots of stickwork. I am amazed at how Aho can relieve a guy of the puck without touching him.

Spector's rumors quote a couple of stories that say we should go after Lundqvist or Price. It also says they probably  wouldnt accept a trade.... So that sounds like a mute point. 

Also says Vegas should consider trading a forward for Gardiner. 

1 hour ago, cane-addict-1 said:

As much as I’m still on the “trade him” bandwagon...no...we got another forward for free (ok, so $700K + bonuses) and that trade would mean another of our guys has to sit.

3 hours ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Spector's rumors quote a couple of stories that say we should go after Lundqvist or Price. It also says they probably  wouldnt accept a trade.... So that sounds like a mute point. 

I wonder if the guys who throw that kind of stuff out there think at all before letting fly, lol.  Price is 32yo and his cap hit is $10.5m for the next 6.5 years.  You don't have to be a Canes fan to know that profile wouldn't mesh with a team like the Canes.

I think the days of monster long term contracts for anyone but McJesus level players are gone...too many teams being burned lately.

Just to add credence to my feeling that the NHL is a league of parity and that any team beats any team on any night, today the NJ Devils, last in the Metro, beat the Tampa Bay Lightning, who had won 10 in a row, on the same day NJ fired their GM.

10 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I wonder if the guys who throw that kind of stuff out there think at all before letting fly, lol.

No different than any "posting".  Weve never seen this kind of thing on this board have we.

1 hour ago, cc said:

No different than any "posting".  Weve never seen this kind of thing on this board have we.

It's a little different when they are supposed to be media types. I have seen this thing on other sports forums, in fact I have seen total BS "my friend drives a limo and picked up so and so at the airport" then all of the sudden the local teams reporters post it as a rumor. It's kinda fun to do that and find out which reporters follow your forums.