The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

10 hours ago, beboplar said:

Just to add credence to my feeling that the NHL is a league of parity and that any team beats any team on any night, today the NJ Devils, last in the Metro, beat the Tampa Bay Lightning, who had won 10 in a row, on the same day NJ fired their GM.

They beat the Caps 5-1 on Saturday too! 

31 minutes ago, thickburglar said:

They beat the Caps 5-1 on Saturday too! 

Right.  In professional sports these days, the regular season has turned into an avenue to entertain and to make $.  The playoffs are a medium to produce champions.  Star athletes routinely skip All Star games, even absorbing financial penalties, and good teams don't get hung up on winning every game, because come the playoffs, every team who makes it in starts at 0-0.  Make it in, make it in healthy, make it in strong, make it in with momentum.

12 minutes ago, cc said:

Another example-  Toronto has been described in this forum as "Crazy good".  They have lost 3 in a row including getting shelled in their last game 8 to 4.  There are no guaranteed wins.  Take your foot off the gas for a second and you can be toast quick.  I would hope and expect JW will help in this area.

hopefully crazy good enough to be the 11th pick in the draft.  One can dream.

• Like 2

Kinda looks like these days that some of the MOST skilled teams in about any league, come to believe their own hyping praise, and think they can just turn it on and off at will. TB looks like they've decided to play at the halfway mark. I even think the Canes at times hear their team being propped up by the "so much talent" moniker and forget to bring the work to the ice with them. Like CC said of his presence, a JW hanging around would laugh in their face at any such nonsense, and hopefully get the consistency to a more even keel as it evolved into last year. 

Two sided coin of STAT musing.. Who can complain about the monumental improvement in our post regulation play in the Roddy era. With Metro points at such a premium over two seasons, it could be easily said it has been the difference in our taking a place among the haves(7 OT wins this season alone). Yet....the stat exists this season of having gained fewer points than anyone in the league in the OT column, highlighting an inability to get 1 goal games into overtime as some of our tight points competitors are more adept at. The 14 points gained in OT is OBVIOUSLY strong, and all needed, but improving that stat in games we may be trailing late in 3rd's towards March could go a long way towards making a huge difference again. Nights you don't have a winner's edge, find enough to scrape out the point. It doesn't have the same downside and sarcastic effect (hey we got a point)as it did for seasons. The winning side of hockey changes a lot of stats relevancy and changes in the sum of things, what they meant. 

• Like 1

The team doesn’t have “it“ this season.  So far “it” is ready to play and constant effort. If you listen to Rod / read Sara that seems to be the most discussed thing. 

really disappointing.  The voice of motivation must not be there.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

The voice of motivation must not be there.  

Here’s hoping he suits up tonight 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

The team doesn’t have “it“ this season.  So far “it” is ready to play and constant effort. If you listen to Rod / read Sara that seems to be the most discussed thing. 

really disappointing.  The voice of motivation must not be there.  

I think the "it" you are referring to is leadership.  JW will hopefully provide a boost in that regard.

However, the "it" they don't have this season is the physical element.  The forward line may be more talented with the additions of Dzingel, Haula, and Necas, but losing players who present problems for the opponents such as Ferland and Saku is costing the team.  I don't get to watch the games, but I'm not even sure what Dzingel has been doing.  Haula and Necas, along with Wallmark, have certainly added some scoring. 

The internal "it", besides JW, that I would like them to try, is promoting Gauthier.  He has rebounded from a tough demotion at training camp to have a good season at Charlotte.  This is a very middle of the road team, and needs a little tweaking.  Certainly the Hamilton injury is going to be a challenge to respond to, but that's the reason they have Bean, Priskie, and McKeown down on the farm, right?

• Like 3

At this point, bring em up...if they’re holding them down to protect them from Seattle, who cares?  We are only losing one player!

55 minutes ago, beboplar said:

I think the "it" you are referring to is leadership.  JW will hopefully provide a boost in that regard.

However, the "it" they don't have this season is the physical element.  The forward line may be more talented with the additions of Dzingel, Haula, and Necas, but losing players who present problems for the opponents such as Ferland and Saku is costing the team.  I don't get to watch the games, but I'm not even sure what Dzingel has been doing.  Haula and Necas, along with Wallmark, have certainly added some scoring. 

The internal "it", besides JW, that I would like them to try, is promoting Gauthier.  He has rebounded from a tough demotion at training camp to have a good season at Charlotte.  This is a very middle of the road team, and needs a little tweaking.  Certainly the Hamilton injury is going to be a challenge to respond to, but that's the reason they have Bean, Priskie, and McKeown down on the farm, right?

The “it” is coming to the ice ready to play which leads to a lack of effort and slow starts. It a personal thing among each player with leadership across the organization not holding them accountable.

it is the theme of Rod’s pressers and Sara’s write ups.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, remkin said:

Dougie is out with a broken fibula.

Considering where Hamilton place on the team has risen to since his arrival, obviously this hurts.  

That said, in this league of parity, the Canes have been playing at par all year.  They have 3 good internal options to run with while he is gone.  Bean would provide the best offensive spark, but plays the left side, correct?  Both Priskie and McKeown play the right side, and maybe one or two are promoted if they can find a taker for Gardiner in exchange for a physical forward.

And the *edit* that slew footed him will get ZERO discipline...just like the *edit* on that team who concussed Tukka with the flying elbow 

Matthew Perrault is right, DPS is a total JOKE! 

Broke my fibula at about Dougie's age and did not need surgery. Minimum, six weeks folks.  My recovery was closer to 12 weeks.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Just blow the darn whistle due to BJs having too many men on the ice and it doesn’t happen.  Cruel fate sometimes.  Fix your refs, NHL.  😠

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, remkin said:

Dougie is out with a broken fibula.

Fortunately, if there's a ray of hope, is that the fibula is certainly less necessary than tibia, and players heal fast. Several even play on it but in this advanced age orthopedics, they might even have more unique ways of speeding recovery such as the technique used recently on Alabama's quarterback, even though that was a different  problem.

19 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Broke my fibula at about Dougie's age and did not need surgery. Minimum, six weeks folks.  My recovery was closer to 12 weeks.

Fibula is easier repair than tibia...so here’s hoping he’s back by end of season IF we make a playoff push

• Like 1

Last night was the perfect example of insult to injury. Ya gonna go lay and egg and get pounded in a big game, fine, whatever. To go get beat up and lose a key player and the game really stinks.

Edited by sleekfeeder

CHANCE to shine in the "so much depth at the blue line" department. Rostering 7 all season would have you think they'll just move ahead status quo, but IMO it's darn time to find out if the depth in Charlotte is as billed. And not just for 1 guy, give 3 or 4 a shot and see who cuts the mustard. Not only do you find some things out, you see if the ones having 'issues' up here become expendable in the short term(trade deadline).

Edited by 2ndsacker

Headline just popped up on my phone, Slavin replaces Dougie. It's great and sucks all at the same time. A worthy replacement is all I can say.

• Like 5

From Big Mike on the FB page:

I have gotten a lot of messages from people saying they want to do cards for Dougie so let's do it! Anytime during this upcoming 5 game homestand, you can drop off a card with me at the promotions kiosk outside of section 109. On top of the cards being dropped off, I love meeting all of the Caniacs! It seems like I am going to need a very big box! Unlike Haula's situation, I think that "get well soon" as well as humorous cards are appropriate in this situation. All of my preschool kids love chanting "Dougie...Dougie at random times throughout the day so they will definately be making cards! Spread the word!

• Like 1