The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

One more game to hit game 50, need to be +10 to be on 98 pt pace, we are +10, so a tie or win has us on pace.  Worst case scenario we are a pt behind pace at all star break.

Glad to be getting our dry spell out of the way at this point in the season with the break coming up which usually changes your mo anyway.

Ask TB if they would rather have a slump now or in the first rd of the playoffs.

As we go into the break, it is a great pre-break by Canes standards. 61 points and 29 wins.

we are 6 points out of 2nd and 2 out of 3rd (magic bean).  Yet we are 1 point from 6th place in the division as well. Columbus and Philly are one point behind.

a +27 goal differential (6th best in the league) is very good for us. Columbus and Philly have a  +7 and +8 goal differential, respectively.  That is a big difference between the teams to only be up a point. Islanders are +11.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

As we go into the break, it is a great pre-break by Canes standards. 61 points and 29 wins.

we are 6 points out of 2nd and 2 out of 3rd (magic bean).  Yet we are 1 point from 6th place in the division as well. Columbus and Philly are one point behind.

a +27 goal differential (6th best in the league) is very good for us. Columbus and Philly have a  +7 and +8 goal differential, respectively.  That is a big difference between the teams to only be up a point. Islanders are +11.

There is adequate reasons to be optimistic.  One of the things that has concerned me about this team the past couple of years is their lack of RH shooting forwards.  They just doubled their demographic from 1 to 2 with the addition of JW.  I was at an AHL game tonite between San Diego and Tucson.  I wouldn't say there were more RH shooting forwards than LH, but it was mighty close.  At least 2 on every line and sometimes 2.  I would like to see the Canes head in that direction and hope to see Gauthier back up soon.

10 hours ago, beboplar said:

One of the things that has concerned me about this team the past couple of years is their lack of RH shooting forwards.

That has been a concern I share. I'm more comfortable now that J Willey is back. Unlike Dmen that I believe have a distinct advantage playing on their natural side I think their are plenty of forwards that can play and thrive on their off side. But when you are so over loaded with in our case left shooting forwards I think you lack some of the variety of shots and positioning that make a team more dangerous.

Before I turn to the A to bring up another right shot forward I'm inclined to see how it goes with the team now that J willey has been added to the mix.  So far so good and we are still in a playoff spot.

7 minutes ago, OBXer said:

That has been a concern I share. I'm more comfortable now that J Willey is back. Unlike Dmen that I believe have a distinct advantage playing on their natural side I think their are plenty of forwards that can play and thrive on their off side. But when you are so over loaded with in our case left shooting forwards I think you lack some of the variety of shots and positioning that make a team more dangerous.

Before I turn to the A to bring up another right shot forward I'm inclined to see how it goes with the team now that J willey has been added to the mix.  So far so good and we are still in a playoff spot.

All 4 goals I saw in last night's AHL game were scored by RH shots.  That's the glove side for most RH goalies.  Someone with a lot of time on their hands might want to look into the disparity between the percentage of goals scored by LH and RH shooting forwards compared to their numbers in the league, respectively.  Considering the relative absence of goal scoring recently by the Canes, I think they would want to look for reasons why, since the talent level and motivation seem there.

1 hour ago

This got lost in yesterday's game shuffle, but the have placed Dougie Hamilton on injured reserve. Rod Brind'Amour: "We're counting that he's done for the year. That's kind of how we're looking at it. If something changes, that'd be great, but we're not counting on it."

This is a simple roster designation, which frees up a spot on the 23-man active roster. Should the team spend to the upper limit of the cap (through a call-up, trade, etc.), LTIR could come into play for cap relief.

My LTIR assumptions were correct.  IR to gain a roster spot.

i think he is done unless we make a deep playoff run.

Edited by gocanes0506

This STeven Lorentz kid is having a pretty good season down in Charlotte. He, Geekie, Kouk, Gaut, Bean. All good choices for a "look" IMO.

-Sleek

8 days, 21 hours, 20 minutes, 14 seconds. Geez, the boredom of winter with no Canes hockey and none after tonight. What do people with other sports interests do in january. :spin:

Quick mention on ESPN's Wysh list this week. The article is about how big the gap between the east and the west is this year. He makes the statement that "The Penguins, Canes, and Caps are a combined 46-9-8 against the west, WOW!"

• Like 2

Well this is the first time I can remember us 11 games over .500 midseason since.............................maybe 2006 or somethin. 

And we are still only 1 point into the wild card spot.  Just our luck, we finally get good and so did everyone else. 

OK,  had this thought, but don't feel like actually researching it. Here it is. The East is far better than the West again. But the Cane's schedule is slanted West until really March. Is this an East trend though? Does this mean that all of the teams in the East will be playing the other teams in the East in March? 

If this is true, it would seem that the projections for the playoff cutline would come down. Not only can East teams no longer get fat on West teams, but will be playing each other where someone has to lose. 

Now this is true for us too, but maybe it's a little less ominous than it seams. Of course then we have to know if our chief competitors are also playing every other night all March with 4 back to backs and 4 three in fours. But at least the cut line might drop a bit. Right now we are the cutline at 100 points. Which would be a record for at least the past 11 years.

• Like 1

Drumming up discussions and hopeful positives.....

Scott Wheeler is doing his 2020 prospect pools.

His criteria:

*Under 23 years old. We now know that by the time a player turns 23, he is largely done the steep upward progression we see in prospects and will begin to plateau.

*Not currently in the NHL, with rare exceptions for players who I believe could still bounce between levels and aren’t yet considered full-time NHLers by their teams. Though this is the only arbitrary section of the criteria, preference for exemption was given to teenaged players, rather than 22-year-olds.

*Either signed to an NHL contract or selected in the entry draft, without the expiration of either of those rights.

4 of the bottom 12 listed are metro teams.

Columbus 31

Caps 29

Pens 28

Isles 24

The metro might dip start dipping in competitiveness over the next 4-5 years.  Crazy to think Columbus absolutely was decimated in FA and has the worst farm. 

I would expect us to be around 3-7

Suzuki, Rees, Kuok, Gauthier, Bean, Sellgren, Eetu the center, Eetu the goalie, Bokk, Cotton, Geekie, etc. The biggest knock for us will be top line / top line pairing level prospects.  All of ours are in Raleigh already.  

8 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Quick mention on ESPN's Wysh list this week. The article is about how big the gap between the east and the west is this year. He makes the statement that "The Penguins, Canes, and Caps are a combined 46-9-8 against the west, WOW!"

So it’s like Tampa’s record last year after 63 games.

To add to the post above Devils come in at 17, fell from 3rd with their young guys on the roster.

The rangers, us, and Flyers remain. Rangers will probably be up there although KK and that sly defenseman wont be on the list (2 of the top 3) and a few will have aged out.  Philly has 2 of their top 5 on the roster so we’ll see where they end up.

for us we’ll see how they pull the rankings. Drury, Bokk, Suzuki and Sellgren have been on fire since the WJC with two of them recovering from injuries. Goat and Kuokkanen have been on fire lately as well. A couple of others are coming around after slow starts.  Does that weigh in or were the rankings made before they started excelling? We did lose Necas off the list.  

In the end, I think the 3 remaining to be placed will be forces in the metro over the next decade.  The teams are young and the cupboards are still full.  Of course only development and GMs stand in the way at this point.

Edited by gocanes0506

Looks like we are searching for a winning combo.  Thanks Chip for the practice updates

Line rushes: Staal centers Nino, Turbo; Aho with Foegele, Svech; Haula with McGinn, Williams; Wallmark with Martinook, Necas. Dzingel appears to be extra forward.

On D, Slavin paired with TvR; Gardiner and Pesce; Fleury and Edmundson.

Brind’Amour says Reimer to start tomorrow. Undecided on extra forward.

I kind of figured Dzingel would get the box. A lot of guys to pick from after that start yesterday. Necas is probably on the short list for next up unless he does something tomorrow.

On the plus side get Reimer's rust off. On the negative, there will probably be rust. We are going to need both goaltenders and maybe even some Ned time by March.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Looks like we are searching for a winning combo

One combo RB seems uninterested in trying - putting Stone Hands out with checkers instead of scorers...

• Like 1

Williams with Haulas a good thing, he's not gonna let him get away with being lazy. At least not without him hearing about it.

• Like 1