The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Rod’s lineups don’t make sense.  We constantly put scorers on Staal’s lines. We hamper other lines with black holes.  Haula with McGinn? Why???  Necas to the 4th?  Turbo on Staal’s line?  This isn’t this hard.

• Like 4

Who will the defensive call-up be?

McKeown or Kaski because they are righties?

Bean because of his play?

Forsling because he has experience?

Im concerned that whoever gets called up will get one game and about 8 minutes of ice time, knowing Rod. So I hope we don’t waste that time on a prospect. 

• Like 1

So I take it Pesce might be out?  Or is there another D-man out that’s precipitating another discussion?

16 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

So I take it Pesce might be out?  Or is there another D-man out that’s precipitating another discussion?

Typically you take an extra defender on a long road trip. Even more so with another defender really banged up.  Those stitches could pop in practice or something.

It’s an easy flight out to wherever from Raleigh/Charlotte during this this road trip.  I personally doubt we’ll bring along any extra baggage 

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Hope not, he finished the game so unless there is a set back I think he would play 

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Reddit

I cant say I really agree with a lot of this because its doesnt account for how the D was playing at the time. For example the absolute softest goal of the season was allowed by Riemer against the Flyers. In fact I'm pretty sure the first 2 goals of that game were really weak goals that a pre wee goalie would have stopped. And while there have been some "goals Petr would like back" for the most part a lot of these early goals both guy have given up have been bad turn overs, out of position D and most recently broken sticks. And Petr has started more games. 

IMHO the bigger problem is the slow starts by the while team. The goalies have been good, not great and by no means are they making the crazy saves that were happening last year but these guys are more then serviceable and if this stat truly needs to be fixed it starts with the team coming ready to play from the puck drop.

• Like 1

Can’t argue with Reimer having earned more starts, but with compressed schedule from here on out, it’s probably going to be a pretty even split anyway. I agree with Derailed that for some reason our whole team often does not show up on time and that we have hung both goalies out to dry way too often. If we have any hope of making the playoffs, these trends need to stop now.

• Like 2

On 2/1/2020 at 8:37 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Rod’s lineups don’t make sense.  We constantly put scorers on Staal’s lines. We hamper other lines with black holes.  Haula with McGinn? Why???  Necas to the 4th?  Turbo on Staal’s line?  This isn’t this hard.

It's  an old school system style   to put scorers with grinders  to spread out the scoring  for  possible scoring on all lines   rolling like a machine .   If you stack  all  the top scorers on 1 or 2 lines  and  do things the traditional way    then it allows the other team  to focus on shutting down those 1 or 2 lines   leaving the grinder  lines alone  to play by themselves and never score .  

In theory his system  works   because it prevents  the other team to play total shutdown  with their best defense .   If it is spread out  then  the other team   has to play to stop possibly only 1 line  instead of 3 or 4 . 

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

It's  an old school system style   to put scorers with grinders  to spread out the scoring  for  possible scoring on all lines   rolling like a machine .   If you stack  all  the top scorers on 1 or 2 lines  and  do things the traditional way    then it allows the other team  to focus on shutting down those 1 or 2 lines   leaving the grinder  lines alone  to play by themselves and never score .  

In theory his system  works   because it prevents  the other team to play total shutdown  with their best defense .   If it is spread out  then  the other team   has to play to stop possibly only 1 line  instead of 3 or 4 . 

While I understand the philosophy, the lineups don’t make sense. As long as we aren’t putting 2 defensive irresponsible players on one line (i.e E. Staal and Skinner), it isn’t a big deal.  Balancing lines is one thing but putting scorers on Staal’s line is just counter productive.  Svech on Staal’s line just hurts his production. The entire defense can focus on him because pucks die on Staal’s stick and Foegele isn’t a big threat to create plays.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

While I understand the philosophy, the lineups don’t make sense. As long as we aren’t putting 2 defensive irresponsible players on one line (i.e E. Staal and Skinner), it isn’t a big deal.  Balancing lines is one thing but putting scorers on Staal’s line is just counter productive.  Svech on Staal’s line just hurts his production. The entire defense can focus on him because pucks die on Staal’s stick and Foegele isn’t a big threat to create plays.

I agree with you on Staal not being   the offensive player we all wish he would be .   But his work ethic  and  grit he brings to the ice ,  is kinda like  having a 3rd defense man out there that can win faceoffs .    The idea  is to  have Staal out there to pick up  defense  for someone like Slavin or   if he was still playing   ( Hamilton )  to  come in and   work with  Svechnikov .   Brind'Amours  hands are tied .   and one of the biggest reasons why I think  he has Staal with Svech  is   to help Svech in his own defensive way  so a defenseman could come and help out .   That's what i  have thought at least .  

35 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I agree with you on Staal not being   the offensive player we all wish he would be .   But his work ethic  and  grit he brings to the ice ,  is kinda like  having a 3rd defense man out there that can win faceoffs .    The idea  is to  have Staal out there to pick up  defense  for someone like Slavin or   if he was still playing   ( Hamilton )  to  come in and   work with  Svechnikov .   Brind'Amours  hands are tied .   and one of the biggest reasons why I think  he has Staal with Svech  is   to help Svech in his own defensive way  so a defenseman could come and help out .   That's what i  have thought at least .  

Not refuting your argument here because i wouldn't be surprised if that's the thinking, but for my own part, having a forward who can play defense out there in order to allow the defenseman to play offense seems as ludicrous as having a forward able to stop pucks in order to allow the goaltender to join the rush.  Stay in your own lane.  If Staal can't score and can't help his linemates score, then having him out there with one of the team's best scorers (if not the best) is counter-productive as all get out.  At this point i'd rather see Svech out there with Wallmark or Haula than Staal.

58 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Not refuting your argument here because i wouldn't be surprised if that's the thinking, but for my own part, having a forward who can play defense out there in order to allow the defenseman to play offense seems as ludicrous as having a forward able to stop pucks in order to allow the goaltender to join the rush.  Stay in your own lane.  If Staal can't score and can't help his linemates score, then having him out there with one of the team's best scorers (if not the best) is counter-productive as all get out.  At this point i'd rather see Svech out there with Wallmark or Haula than Staal.

I get what you mean .    The Canes do a ton of side board cycling   and  often  defense who pinch on the boards allows either a pass  to the point  or  to rotate it back down the boards  for a behind the net play  offense .     What  a lot of people dont see is Staal is a monster on the boards  and his  job is not simple  .  He has to make sure  the puck cycles  in  a zone away from other players    and to allow  that defense to  either go for a shot  or   recycle .   What im lead to believe is  given the talent on the team ,  i bet Brind'Amour  would love to have an ideal  offense  of  4  left hand shots on  left wing ,  a mix at center , and 4  right hand shots on right wing .  And (  TRUST ME I KNOW )   We  have  guys in charlotte   , geekie ,  gauthier ,    who could come in , Maybe  the reason why they are not brought in yet  is because Brind'amour   has seen them in practice   and knows they need more time to develop  .    Rod  is  working with what he can .  So this system we see   is  what can work  when you are dealing with only 2  right handed shots for forwards  that could bring in  a right handed shot from defense to make that vital play ,  And Staal is not a stupid man   , he knows what he needs to do  in case   he is needed for  a defensive pick up .   I would Argue that  Staal is our best defensive option outside of  Slavin or Pesce ! 

Im not an anti-Jordan advocate or anything. He has a very useful purpose on this team. At the same time, centering svech and turbo shouldn’t be it.  Staal is our OT win the FO guy and shutdown workhorse.  Let him be that.

Heck with 32 more games than last year, he is expected to have the same stats, 11 gs and 17 assists.  28 points in 82 games. 28!! That is with Svech on his line for a ton of the time so far.

just put the man with Marty and McGinn and go shut down an opposing team.  Cycle some other wingers with him to create matchups with other lines on the road if needed but leave the scorers off of it.

Nino/Foegele-Aho-Turbo  

Svech-Wallmark-Williams

Dzingle/Foegele-Haula-Necas

McGinn-Staal-Marty

line numbers aren’t important. Staal’s line will play a lot. Then the best playing scoring line of the night plays more (go with who is hot) then so on.  Those are three balanced and very capable scoring lines. 

svech is an underrated passer. We saw that with his pass to Williams on his correct side for a goal. Williams is an excellent passer as well. I think both would compliment each other and Wallmark is underrated as well.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

According to a graph on the Athletic our playoff chances are 61% as we project for 97.7 points heading into a tough road trip. Clearly we can't get away from Columbus, Philly and the NYI, and by extension Toronto or Florida for the wild card slot. 98 points is still a decent pace, but needless to say the next 4 games could affect that. While StLouis has been off a bit, they are still a very tough out. Hopefully we recapture some of that Western Canada road trip magic. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Is Domenick Fensore for Boston University  playing in the game  right now ?  

Just saw your message, sorry, not sure, was switching channels. He sounds familiar though.

5 hours ago, jimd said:

Just saw your message, sorry, not sure, was switching channels. He sounds familiar though.

i Saw both David Cotton and Fensore  last night  in the game  , sorry about that . 

Cotton had 2 goals  

Given  the canes chances of making the playoffs  ,  I can  not and will not feel sorry  or upset  that the canes  miss  .    Im  absolutely proud of  what they have done  so far this year  and   it would be nice to make the playoffs  im  also a realist .    This  season    has been absolutely  insane in the metro .   I dont recall  Ever    when the last time one division  held  rough shop on  the entire league   .    Knowing that the canes are also in the mix of it    makes me feel proud   .   I can hold my head up high  in saying im a canes fan  .   This team  being able to compete  with  and against any other team  given what it's make up is  is nothing short than outstanding !   Brind'Amour  was the perfect choice   for this team .  

47 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Given  the canes chances of making the playoffs  ,  I can  not and will not feel sorry  or upset  that the canes  miss  .    Im  absolutely proud of  what they have done  so far this year  and   it would be nice to make the playoffs  im  also a realist .    This  season    has been absolutely  insane in the metro .   I dont recall  Ever    when the last time one division  held  rough shop on  the entire league   .    Knowing that the canes are also in the mix of it    makes me feel proud   .   I can hold my head up high  in saying im a canes fan  .   This team  being able to compete  with  and against any other team  given what it's make up is  is nothing short than outstanding !   Brind'Amour  was the perfect choice   for this team .  

I will still be disappointed but am fully aware that as it sits right now they are in 3rd of every other division with magic beans on most of them. Yet in the Met we are struggling to hold a play off spot. 

33 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

I will still be disappointed but am fully aware that as it sits right now they are in 3rd of every other division with magic beans on most of them. Yet in the Met we are struggling to hold a play off spot. 

And this is why I hope the GM’s of the Metro teams that barely miss (while an Atlantic team with less points makes it in) goes nuclear at the GM meetings and ends this BS seeding. Top 8 make it...division winners get top seeds.  The rest is according to points...period!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

And this is why I hope the GM’s of the Metro teams that barely miss (while an Atlantic team with less points makes it in) goes nuclear at the GM meetings and ends this BS seeding. Top 8 make it...division winners get top seeds.  The rest is according to points...period!

I think nearly everyone i  ever met  agrees with this  ^