The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

52 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

And this is why I hope the GM’s of the Metro teams that barely miss (while an Atlantic team with less points makes it in) goes nuclear at the GM meetings and ends this BS seeding. Top 8 make it...division winners get top seeds.  The rest is according to points...period!

I like the idea as long as its division winners and 6 by points from conferences. I have heard some people call for a total top 16 by points and I think thats just flat dumb. I also think you have to have the division winners even though the chances that 8 teams from one division have better records then all the teams in another is slim I still think you have to have the divisoin winners

People: doubts are coming into my thoughts, which turn darker every day:

- What did we see last year?  Was that a team where nearly everyone overachieved?

- What are we seeing now?  Is this a team where many are underachieving?  Or is this an unfortunately new normal?

- Is Rod Brind'Amour all that?  Last year there was a push for coach of the year.  Still agree?

- Last year: meet Petr Mrzak #1.  This year: meet his evil twin #2.

- Can an injury to a key player make that much difference?

- Have certain boys been putting their hands in a mixture of calcium oxide, gypsum and clay?  Cough, Jordan.

- Can our boys hit and stand up for themselves?  Are they all nice?  Is it necessary for everyone to be nice?

- If JW can't spark them, who can?

- A solid 2 out of 3 wins from here on out is required.  Happened last year and they did it.  Can they do it again?  The team is now into this mode.  No room for slacking.

- Will the scoreboard alone keep the fans coming, or will a drop off occur?

• Like 2

The Committee needs to jump the gun early and look for some quality rental talent to help in the points chase. Metro is too tough to wait until a week or two out from the trade deadline to pull the trigger. By then it could be too late. 

• Like 2

I posted part of this on the deadline thread, but I do think Rod needs to quickly change his goalie thoughts. Cleary coaches love having a #1 and then the back up. OK, but the main problem is that they get locked in on who the #1 should be, and how good they need to be to stay with that plan night after night. Rod is locked in on Mrazek as the #1 and this stubbornness could cost us the playoffs.

Save %

Mrazek: .900 #43 in NHL

Reimer: .920 #12 in NHL

Starts:

Mrazek: 34

Reimer: 21

Flip those starts and we are in a playoff spot right now. 

BTH Lehner: .922 #10 in NHL. If we had Reimer and Lehner, we'd be solidly in playoffs.

• Like 1

Losing Dougy hurts, but Dougy cannot be replaced and losing Dougy really makes goaltending more important. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, remkin said:

BTH Lehner: .922 #10 in NHL. If we had Reimer and Lehner, we'd be solidly in playoffs.

This...all of this!!!

I still think that Rod is a good coach, but he's still new at it. I also think that The Committee has been good more than bad, but they're also new at it. 

So here's another thing for the Committee and Rod. Using Jayson Shaya's Checker's column:

10. Haydn Fleury, now a regular in the Hurricanes’ lineup, looks more comfortable with every game. I thought he was excellent against Vancouver in the shootout win. Good for Haydn, a player who is absolutely determined to play his best every game.

My point is not to toot my horn for calling for Fleury (OK, maybe a little), but to advance the point somewhat against the grain, that the team needs to be willing to play those "brought up the right way" prospects at some point vs. just signing UFA's. Hayden Fleury is exhibit A. I will always admit that the coach and the committee know better than me, but they are not perfect either. We've been slow playing Fleury for a long time. Too long IMO. 

At some point we have to figure out how to look at guys like Ned, Gauthier, McKeown, Bean, etc. Next year Geekie might be ready. We need to finish the "draft and develop" theme out. Any team can get a ping pong ball to fall and put a Svech right into the line up. Or even the super fast rising short development type prospects like Aho or Necas. But bringing guys through that develop more slowly is also important. 

OK, we have not utterly failed at it. Foegele and Wallmark, and to some extent McGinn. But I just keep thinking how many time Rod kept scratching Fleury. I think about how McKeown was supposedly NHL ready like three preseasons ago. 

This is why I'd be very careful making a deadline trade unless it's to move underperforming prospects. This team is in a position to reload over several years with one of the best prospect pools in the NHL (and that's with Svech and Necas already graduated out of the pool). Keep piling up future talent. We've gotten pretty good at drafting too. 

No rentals is my opinion. With one position exception and one conceptual exception. I would rent Lehner. I would rent another piece if the price were payable (third rounder or less, B prospect). Hockey trade? Sure. But a hockey trade for a D man? Less exciting because next year we have Dougy back and probably Bean up. 

The loss of Dougy is big. Personally I don't see the replacement being as big of an issue as goalie. If Mrazek is back to the cold side of his historical hot and cold, that will be the thing. Maybe time to look at Ned? It would be hard to actually do though. Still, bringing up a seasoned, hot AHL goalie worked pretty well for the team we just got whupped by. 

• Like 2

I’ll take Fluery over TVR any day of the week. TVR is overpaid v. his contribution while Fleury is not. As far as the goalie thoughts go I realize Petr has let some save-able shots hit the twine but our D is nowhere near as good as how they were touted to start the season. Pete’s been badly hung out to dry on any number of occasions. Our D was absolutely brutal, to include the forwards in the Blues game. I do agree that at this point Reimer may be the better of the two but Petr has also won us games this season standing on his head. Fix the semi-porous D first then assess the goalie situation. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 10:43 PM, raleighcaniac said:

I’ll take Fluery over TVR any day of the week. TVR is overpaid v. his contribution while Fleury is not. As far as the goalie thoughts go I realize Petr has let some save-able shots hit the twine but our D is nowhere near as good as how they were touted to start the season. Pete’s been badly hung out to dry on any number of occasions. Our D was absolutely brutal, to include the forwards in the Blues game. I do agree that at this point Reimer may be the better of the two but Petr has also won us games this season standing on his head. Fix the semi-porous D first then assess the goalie situation. 

I read and reread this raleighcaniac, and while I can somewhat agree with your sentiment, I also believe that Petr's positioning makes it much easier to "hang him out to dry"? 

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I read and reread this raleighcaniac, and while I can somewhat agree with your sentiment, I also believe that Petr's positioning makes it much more to "hang him out to dry"? 

I see the out of position point however him playing the way he does allows him to make saves others cant and this gives up rebounds. If the D does their jobs those rebounds dont hurt. A prime example is the first Blues goal. Through traffic Petr makes the save but gives up a rebound that shouldn't be a big deal however theres solid 6 feet of open ice between him and the D and the only person there is Blais. If theres any semblance of a D game being played Blais should be unable to get a stick on the puck or at least just get a swipe at it allowing Petr to make the stop, but that didnt happen because 2 defenders were way more out of position then Petr was.

Edited by Derailed75
  • Like 1

My point in the above post is not that Petr isnt a problem he is but he is far from the only one. The forwards have been bad, the blue liners have been bad, the goalies have been bad, the starts have been bad and at times the team has been bad at holding on to leads. Unless he could put a 25 yo Patrick Roy or Dominic Hasek in goal just about any other goalie would lose these games. Petr is just a part of the problem, so is Nino, Gardiner, Aho, Svech, Staal, TVR, McGinn, Riemer, Dzingle, Haula. 

That's a lot of guys not doing as well as they should be. Kinda hard to succeed in the NHL's toughest division with that many people not playing to their fullest. Some are worse then others obviously Aho and Svech are having good seasons but how many break aways has Aho had and not scored? How many of Svechs blind passes have ended up going to other way? 

As for the guys I didnt mention only Turbo is really exceeding expectation the rest are just playing where we thought they would. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

My point in the above post is not that Petr isnt a problem he is but he is far from the only one. The forwards have been bad, the blue liners have been bad, the goalies have been bad, the starts have been bad and at times the team has been bad at holding on to leads. Unless he could put a 25 yo Patrick Roy or Dominic Hasek in goal just about any other goalie would lose these games. Petr is just a part of the problem, so is Nino, Gardiner, Aho, Svech, Staal, TVR, McGinn, Riemer, Dzingle, Haula. 

That's a lot of guys not doing as well as they should be. Kinda hard to succeed in the NHL's toughest division with that many people not playing to their fullest. Some are worse then others obviously Aho and Svech are having good seasons but how many break aways has Aho had and not scored? How many of Svechs blind passes have ended up going to other way? 

As for the guys I didnt mention only Turbo is really exceeding expectation the rest are just playing where we thought they would. 

100% agree with the above, and would add coaching to the not performing at its fullest. I have no doubt Rod is MORE than capable of doing this job. My biggest concern is motivation. These guys just dont seem to want it like they did last season. Also seems like we struggle with player development... Most seem to stay status quo or regress...

• Like 1

A Team is  only as good as their Goalie .    Take a good look at philly this year  or  St.Louis  last year ,   Failing teams  until  their goalie was  finally used   and then  success .   Im  just going to sit here patiently  and wait  for Ned to get the Call up  that should of happened straight out at camp ! 

Seems to me that all areas of the game are so tri-dependent on each other with fine lines between which parts can fall off a little WITHOUT causing noticeable damage to the others. If one aspect gets level and consistent, it tends to rub off and become a cause/effect and others improve(or look to) to we armchairs. 

On 2/5/2020 at 6:32 AM, wxray1 said:

- What did we see last year?  Was that a team where nearly everyone overachieved?

- What are we seeing now?  Is this a team where many are underachieving?  Or is this an unfortunately new normal?

There was over achievement last year with that run, but I think there was a little more 'ready to play" on almost every night. This team's underachievement, the maddening thing for me, is that it doesn't underachieve on the whole when you look at all the teams in the bunch and such tight points. It vastly under achieves generally about a period to a period and a half a game, and even with that major shortfall, it's been enough to win as many or more in regulation than all 4 teams directly in  front of us. THAT to me is almost astounding, that we can give away 30 minutes a night and yet still be a team to be dealt with when at close to our best for the 30 other minutes. It isn't the play, the ability to outclass teams at times, or anything else that we don't have. What we don't have at present is the simple ethic of realizing they're 60 minute games in this league, and you either play them that way, or buy yourself a new set of clubs come April.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Goalies haven't been great but they aren't the primary reason for failure. Fix the D and suddenly the goalies look better. Check out the attached chart. Carolina is pathetic. https://cardiaccane.com/2020/02/05/carolina-hurricanes-petr-mrazek-yield-starting-job-james-riemer/

It felt like we were giving up quality chances, but if I'm reading that chart right, we are off the charts bad. We seem to give up a ton of 2 on 1's also. 

I can't call out both goalies. In fact given all of the juicy chances we allow, Reimer might even be close to great. Mrazek may have an excuse for bad numbers. No matter how we slice it though, a run of starts for Reimer makes sense.

Overall I'd say we are trying to transition from a feel good, "one year crazy run" story to a consistently good team.  We are still very young in terms of our star players, and still lack a franchise goalie. Given that, it's been decent so far. Of course the schedule is going to demand our A game most nights for this year's team to get there. Can we get to that? We about to find out.

54 minutes ago, remkin said:

Overall I'd say we are trying to transition from a feel good, "one year crazy run" story to a consistently good team.  We are still very young in terms of our star players, and still lack a franchise goalie. Given that, it's been decent so far. Of course the schedule is going to demand our A game most nights for this year's team to get there. Can we get to that? We about to find out.

We'll TD was very clear he intends and promises to make this a consistently good team, not a flash in the pan.  So here we go.  The rubber hits the road now.

Edited by wxray1

Am curious, any word on Dougie? I guess I'm curious as everyone on here knows that people in general heal at different rates, and as a corollary to that, it would also be nice to know if the fracture was displaced or non-displaced? But I just keep hoping that Dougie may be one with accelerated healing, returning before the estimate of when he ON AVERAGE will be ready to play.

I think the secret in Dougie's recovery time might rest with his surgery. My guess is screws were installed to stabilize and hold the bone together to help in the healing process and if that holds true, that in turn would require another procedure to remove them again before his rehab and conditioning starts. Just a guess.  

12 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

I think the secret in Dougie's recovery time might rest with his surgery. My guess is screws were installed to stabilize and hold the bone together to help in the healing process and if that holds true, that in turn would require another procedure to remove them again before his rehab and conditioning starts. Just a guess.  

I completely agree Whaler, but the question still remains if he heals "fast" and if so than he recovers quicker.

• Like 1

Well, it has only been three weeks though it seems like months. If everything goes ok I don't expect his to start skating again until the end of March.

57 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

Well, it has only been three weeks though it seems like months. If everything goes ok I don't expect his to start skating again until the end of March.

For an injury  like his  it's a safe bet he is done for the season  but should be able to  get back  to training camp  this year when it starts .   When a bone snaps   they have to realign  the  bone and keep it in place for the bone to mend itself back together  and   after 2 or 3 months   the bone might be healed  enough  but there is always the danger of the bone breaking again  if  to much stress is put  on the previous injury .   a more likely time table  would be  4 to 5 months of recovery  in full .  and in that mean time  he  should do what he can to prevent too much weight on that  leg of his  and he should be ready to do at the start of the season .  Im sure  Bill  and the teams doctor are working close with his to keep  the rest of his body  in shape .