The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

3 hours ago, Whaler1 said:

I think the secret in Dougie's recovery time might rest with his surgery. My guess is screws were installed to stabilize and hold the bone together to help in the healing process and if that holds true, that in turn would require another procedure to remove them again before his rehab and conditioning starts. Just a guess.  

Not arguing just sharing my experience. I broke and dislocated my ankle in my 20's. during a follow up from surgery with the doctor I asked him about removing the screws cause I had heard to get them removed before they cause you trouble. His answer was something along the lines of " If you want me to cut you open to take out something that isnt bothering you then sure I can, but if it was me I would just leave them in and only consider taking them out if they give you trouble.

Im 44 and they are still in there.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone had fibula breakage, and what their experience is.  Even so, a lot depends on the kind of break.

For ankles, I've heard about the screws staying in as being typical.

For femurs, it depends on the type of appliance.  A co-worker relayed this to us to warn us about femur breaks.  He was about aged 30, broke his femur and had a plate put on the bone externally (to the bone, not the leg).  It was subsequently removed.  It was a successful repair of a fairly minor break.  His ortho warned him to not do anything strenuous for at least 3 months, maybe longer.  He felt so good after 2 weeks, he decided to hike a mountain and it fractured during his hike (just the strenuous walking) right along the screw hole.  Had to be carried out.  His doctor did a small "told you so", and he had to have surgery again, this time with some internal rod that he'll live with forever.  His advice to us: take it easy, listen to your doctor, don't be an idiot like me.

Now, a fibula is not a femur.  Nor is it an ankle.  So... Who knows?  I would vote for him to be conservative in the healing process.

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

For an injury  like his  it's a safe bet he is done for the season  but should be able to  get back  to training camp  this year when it starts .   When a bone snaps   they have to realign  the  bone and keep it in place for the bone to mend itself back together  and   after 2 or 3 months   the bone might be healed  enough  but there is always the danger of the bone breaking again  if  to much stress is put  on the previous injury .   a more likely time table  would be  4 to 5 months of recovery  in full .  and in that mean time  he  should do what he can to prevent too much weight on that  leg of his  and he should be ready to do at the start of the season .  Im sure  Bill  and the teams doctor are working close with his to keep  the rest of his body  in shape . 

Thanks. Goes to show what I know lol

I broke my right fibula and had surgery to realign and stabilize the bone [with screws].  After a month, I ignored my doctor and put too much pressure on it.  My leg swelled like a beach ball but no additional damage was done.  6 months later, it was healed, but didn't feel "normal" for another 6 weeks or so.  Of course, I was no pro athlete, but it's long, slow process.  

Oh, and my screws are still in my leg, I choose not to have them removed.

Edited by coastal_caniac

5 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Oh, and my screws are still in my leg, I choose not to have them removed.

Better to have that as opposed to the screws that are missing from my noggin.

Bone  when it breaks   and then mends  will  look large on x-ray    and  be  more solid  around the key area  ,  but it can take anywhere  from   half a year or to a full year for the bone to look  normal  like it did before it broke .   

On 2/7/2020 at 6:54 PM, AWACSooner said:

Better to have that as opposed to the screws that are missing from my noggin.

I think they are in there, just loose.

Listening to Roddy today when he was asked about Martinook he said he didn't expect him back anytime soon

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Listening to Roddy today when he was asked about Martinook he said he didn't expect him back anytime soon

That's not good, though Marti may not be that impact player.

Can we call up Gauthier and get back to this musical chairs (aka players rotating) thing? 

On 2/7/2020 at 7:20 PM, Canesfanforever said:

Bone  when it breaks   and then mends  will  look large on x-ray    and  be  more solid  around the key area  ,  but it can take anywhere  from   half a year or to a full year for the bone to look  normal  like it did before it broke .   

Cff your depth of knowledge amazes me, I mean you seem to know the NHL down thru all the minor leagues, college players and foreign leagues. Now even radiology? Why is it that your syntax takes a back seat? Oh, BTW, once a bone fractures (snaps as you've phrased it), it never looks the same. Radiologists can always spot calluses, as in fracture calluses forever.

Necas  with Staal and Foegs ,    I think  Brindy wants to get  more insight on How Staal's offense production   would work with  Necas  .   I got a feeling it is not going to go well .  but who knows   , stranger things   happen all the time .  

The OK news, we managed to get out of this brutal road trip with half of the available points. Also, we are on a 98 point pace, which is pretty good, though possibly not good enough in this insane Metro. 

The bad news, we didn't have a really solid wire to wire game in the 4 game road trip. Outside of our top line we are not making plays really in any zone, we have not locked down the D, we don't even close to start on time anymore, and at least Mrazek, is mostly not the "good" Mrazek this year. 

The team is still mostly getting it done overall, and there is the fact that our expectations are higher this year. 

I would say this. This is a systemic, team failure. Adding one average NHL D man or forward is highly unlikely to fix this. So I maintain that there are only three significant trades that make sense. 1. Swapping Mrazek for Lehner somehow if Chicago falls out. 2. Finding a 2C that can be in place for at least another season after this one. But there really isn't one rumored to be available. I guess we could use a LW, and no doubt Chris Krieder would give our second line a boost. But he's the #1 trade bait player. He will cost a first rounder PLUS an A prospect just for a rental. 3. A RHD. I added this because I keep forgetting that Bean is a LHD. 

I await the committee figuring it out, but man, whatever happened to the Haula who was killing it early? 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2019 at 11:15 AM, OBXer said:

We are Done for 2020

Well, Consider this season to end, if Canes continue to play the way they have been for the past 25 games.  I'm telling you, there is no way they can make it to playoffs or do anything within playoffs with the ridiculous passing, Turnovers wherever they are on the ice, and lack of holding the puck when needed to keep possession.  The passing is horrible!  Watch how many times they pass at their feet, or pass without looking first.  Pass directly to the opposition, pass to knowwhere, ice the puck when its unnecessary.  Or passing is  with hesitation, and keep trying to pass 60 ft, instead of they guy wide open 20ft from them.   The goal tending is great enough to keep us playing thru playoffs, but why Brindamour is not dropping the hammer on Professional players making this kind of money, and their talent, to get their passing under control and eliminate all these countless turnovers.   You can not win games like this.  It's small spurts.  3rd item,  You have to trade Niederreiter and Dzingal for a serious player.  I assure you, Williams is second guessing his decision.  If you feel differently, your want or need for them to succeed is blinding you from seeing the obvious.  Watch how the other teams pass and work out of the zone compared to us.  It's embarrassing! 

4 minutes ago, remkin said:

I await the committee figuring it out, but man, whatever happened to the Haula who was killing it early? 

I'm trying to give Haula the benefit of the doubt. Loosing a baby is extremely difficult and it's surely a factor...

11 minutes ago, remkin said:

The OK news, we managed to get out of this brutal road trip with half of the available points. Also, we are on a 98 point pace, which is pretty good, though possibly not good enough in this insane Metro. 

The bad news, we didn't have a really solid wire to wire game in the 4 game road trip. Outside of our top line we are not making plays really in any zone, we have not locked down the D, we don't even close to start on time anymore, and at least Mrazek, is mostly not the "good" Mrazek this year. 

The team is still mostly getting it done overall, and there is the fact that our expectations are higher this year. 

I would say this. This is a systemic, team failure. Adding one average NHL D man or forward is highly unlikely to fix this. So I maintain that there are only two significant trades that make sense. 1. Swapping Mrazek for Lehner somehow if Chicago falls out. 2. Finding a 2C that can be in place for at least another season after this one. But there really isn't one rumored to be available. I guess we could use a LW, and no doubt Chris Krieder would give our second line a boost. But he's the #1 trade bait player. He will cost a first rounder PLUS an A prospect just for a rental. 

5 minutes ago, donwalrus said:

I'm trying to give Haula the benefit of the doubt. Loosing a baby is extremely difficult and it's surely a factor...

Haula not scoring is most likely not his fault. considering we have serious passing and chemistry issues.  I think with the right combo, he will shine.  There is no way I would remove our current goaltending,  When they get scored on like they did last night, that is not a goaltending problem.  That is a team problem.  Our Goaltending is as good as anyones, but you just can't expect them to stop shots from 10 to 15ft out wtih speeds of 70 to 80mpg pucks.  You look at all the other saves and how many close calls, our goaltenders keep us in the game.  We just have no repsonse, because we can't keep the puck long enough to increase oppty's.    Has anyone else noticed how many steps Jordan has lost?  He really is slow on the ice compared to everyone.   Passing, Passing, passing is the biggest issue

IMO this team's passing tends to go with it's entire game. It feels like a team system disfunction. We have guys well off of expected average production let alone the idea of benefitting from this go go team and producing above average. The bottom half of the forward lines are not getting it done. 

Aho/TT/Svech and Necas (especially since he's a rookie) are. After that it's pretty bad. 

Haula, due to his torrid start, and low total games, is still on a decent pace, but he is pointless in 10 of his past 11 games. 

Dzingle is on a 43 point pace, which is not terrible, but he's supposed to be a goal scorer and he's on a 12 goal pace.

Nino. Yikes. 10 goal pace, 34 point pace. What the heck? How can a guy be soo good and then sooo not good?

Wallmark. 33 points, 15 goal pace. Actually pretty average for 3rd line center. Not tops, but decent. And he's logged 4th line minutes and linemates. 

McGinn, 9 goal/19 point pace. Love his energy, but he's had enough time to disprove he's a 4th liner. 

Martinook is at 9G, 19P pace, but he's been battling injuries this year. Still a decrease from last year. 

But I'm saving the worst for last. Jordan Staal is the Captain of the team and I can't help wondering if there is something more to this. He is routinely listed as our FIRST line center. He is on pace for 10 goals and 28 points. This is below the bottom tier for 3rd line centers. He is an above average 4th line center at this point. He is slow, his stone hands have turned to steel. If he had to do that All Star target thing, he'd still be out there. Brindy loves him, but that can be a problem if he's not getting it done. This is the coach's ideal as the best player on the team (last year at least). This is the Captain. This is a problem.

So we are, as I've mentioned before, devoid of high end centers by line after Aho. (That is guys who are in the tops for their line designation). Mostly, we don't have anyone even close to 2C production. I think this team simply needs to get Haula going, because Jordan is just stuck in the mud, and Wallmark is currently a nice third line center.

Finally, it's hard to see a deadline deal that changes this. Maybe Kreider (the next production need is LW2, and he's good and fast and drives offense), but that's a long shot and the price is huge. 

It is still more than possible that Brind'Amour and the braintrust get the whole thing back on track. I'm still hoping for that, because I still believe we have enough talent to get in.

• Like 1

Im not going to say Brind'Amour is to blame  for these losses  ,  However  I am  looking at the goalie coach and the other 2 assistant Coaches  as part of the problem and not fixing the problems .    When we loss  Mike Bales   I had a feeling  Tom Dundon  was not interested  in who it would be  ,  just more of a hire  because there so happen to be a vacancy  . 

1 hour ago, Graff12! said:

Haula not scoring is most likely not his fault. considering we have serious passing and chemistry issues.  I think with the right combo, he will shine.  There is no way I would remove our current goaltending,  When they get scored on like they did last night, that is not a goaltending problem.  That is a team problem.  Our Goaltending is as good as anyones, but you just can't expect them to stop shots from 10 to 15ft out wtih speeds of 70 to 80mpg pucks.  You look at all the other saves and how many close calls, our goaltenders keep us in the game.  We just have no repsonse, because we can't keep the puck long enough to increase oppty's.    Has anyone else noticed how many steps Jordan has lost?  He really is slow on the ice compared to everyone.   Passing, Passing, passing is the biggest issue

How you can see the not so uncommon picture of Mrazek just a few posts above yours Graff12! and still say "not a goaltending problem" is beyond me, unless you are his kin? For whatever reason, Petr just cannot stay in goal and it's becoming more frequent.

• Like 1

93c99361d6542dfa7fdf8a5fcfaae976_reasona

Canes went haywire late in that period. About as loose a play as they’ve had this season. No discipline at all.

I think loose is the word, and lack of discipline is the three words. Rod has worked to let the guys play loose so that they can make plays without being too worried about making mistakes. Overall it has worked. But the pendulum has swung a bit too far to loose. 

To me "loose" at it's worst, means unfocused and not full effort. The key, clearly, is to be loose, but not too loose. To still maintain the drive and the battle, and the discipline while still having fun. At the moment, things have tilted the wrong way, and IMO a deadline deal won't affect that much. On the other hand, if we can reign it back in a bit, then this same team can start playing like it did last year. 

Now if I knew how to do that, I'd be getting paid for this. 
  • Like 1