The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Don’t want overlook how well the teams doing. Of the top 10 in the league right now 5 are from the Metro alone. We play in the toughest Div and Are holding our own. 

8A616C70-C4EC-42D8-B9C9-2079B359D8A8.jpeg

...and we still may not make it in!

Forslund was just on XM...highlights:

- last night was most solid effort in 2020

- Necas is gonna be a star

- Pesce is vastly underrated 

- TD and DW won’t go for a pure rental...want term

- Fleury had MRI today...more info tomorrow...expect Bean call up 

- J Willy is just getting warmed up 

- Rod actually believes that we will be a holy terror in 2-3 years 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

...and we still may not make it in!

I believe what Rod what does too. The core is young and still learning

Edited by Derailed75

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Necas is going to be a star. It does make sense that J Willy would not hit his peak jumping right back in. 

But Rod is agreeing with me about the 2-3 year window. I think it will shade closer to 2. By then Svech will be full on 100 point Svech and Necas will be a dynamic center with Aho and TT still prime. I also think Foegele will take at least one more big step up. Then Fleury and Bean will be pretty solid too. We'll have our power forward goat firing fr.....oh wait. But seriously there will be a surprise in there too from our yutes. Suzuki? Rees? Geekie? Drury? 

It will be very interesting to see what Bean brings in the next few games at least.

10 minutes ago, remkin said:

Necas is going to be a star. It does make sense that J Willy would not hit his peak jumping right back in. 

But Rod is agreeing with me about the 2-3 year window. I think it will shade closer to 2. By then Svech will be full on 100 point Svech and Necas will be a dynamic center with Aho and TT still prime. I also think Foegele will take at least one more big step up. Then Fleury and Bean will be pretty solid too. We'll have our power forward goat firing fr.....oh wait. But seriously there will be a surprise in there too from our yutes. Suzuki? Rees? Geekie? Drury? 

It will be very interesting to see what Bean brings in the next few games at least.

So you're expecting Bean call up, as I am rem? Posted that on Trade site just now?

4 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

So you're expecting Bean call up, as I am rem? Posted that on Trade site just now?

We could see a RHD called up allowing Edmundson to slide back to his natural side..

• Like 1

I'm not particularly expecting a McKeown call-up, but if the Canes don't give him a chance this season, i think the kid owes it to himself to look elsewhere.  The fact they have Gardiner and TVR stinking up the ice game-in, game-out while they have a dependable stay-at-home defenseman ready to jump in makes no sense to me.  I don't know what more the kid can do.

• Like 1

I may be the exception but I'm glad we have TVR. He is holding his own skating above his pay grade. Last game he skated 20 min, had an assist and was even on +/-.  Gardiner is the only O minded puck mover we have and has seemed to find his game skating 2nd pair. Without Hamilton it isn't perfect but they are holding their own.  McKeown probale deserves a shot here or somewhere else but he isn't going to skate top minutes and without a trade TVR is our best option. From my point of view TVR has answered the bell.

It's not like we are languishing at the bottom of the pile. We are in the hunt and currently in a Wildcard spot, 1 point out of third. 

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

I may be the exception but I'm glad we have TVR. He is holding his own skating above his pay grade. Last game he skated 20 min, had an assist and was even on +/-.  Gardiner is the only O minded puck mover we have and has seemed to find his game skating 2nd pair. Without Hamilton it isn't perfect but they are holding their own.  McKeown probale deserves a shot here or somewhere else but he isn't going to skate top minutes and without a trade TVR is our best option. From my point of view TVR has answered the bell.

It's not like we are languishing at the bottom of the pile. We are in the hunt and currently in a Wildcard spot, 1 point out of third. 

Totally agree on TVR. he gets a lot of crap on here, but he seems to be getting back to form. Gardiner does have his moments. When he's on, he makes some great stretch passes to get in the O zone quickly. He's also in the right spot defensively on numerous occasions. Unfortunately, he makes a lot of errors and it's reflected in his +/-. Would like to see both turn it up to 11. 

• Like 3

I like the way TVR plays with his mouth guard.  Comic relief.  He even makes fun of himself for it.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, donwalrus said:

and it's reflected in his +/-.

This is not only tied to the D.  Lack of offensive production from the line pairings he plays with has to be considered.(Typically Foegele,Staal,Wlliams)  Correct?  Which is why Plus/Minus can mislead.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cc said:

This is not only tied to the D.  Lack of offensive production from the line pairings he plays with has to be considered.(Typically Foegele,Staal,Wlliams)  Correct?  Which is why Plus/Minus can mislead.

Can't argue with that ;)

15 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I guess if he's at practice they'll see how he does, but maybe no need for a call up. If we did call, I'd go Bean.

51 minutes ago, remkin said:

I guess if he's at practice they'll see how he does, but maybe no need for a call up. If we did call, I'd go Bean.

I have to admit, I liked what Fluery has done. He's built a good season, and is not a crutch or liability. With that being said, ID LOVE to see Bean in a pro game.

• Like 1

Based on my impression of Brindy's preferences, if a L-shot D is called up I wouldn't be surprised if it were Forsling.  23 yo with 122 NHL games under his belt vs. 21yo, 2 NHL games Bean.  Note that I've seen neither of them actually play.

Chex stats:

Forsling    51 games, 8G,  16A,  24P, +24

Bean        49 games, 7G,   31A, 38P.   -7

• Like 3

Got my auto-renew invoice for 11-game plan plus parking.  Up 8% from last year.  TD needs to pay for the scoreboard.  :)

🤑

Edited by wxray1

When I start looking at playoffs and how things may pan out eventually the loser point catches my eye and just how frickin dumb it is. Columbus doesn't even remotely deserve to be in this discussion of playoffs at 13 OT losses. 

Geez oh pete does the loser point **** me off.

Without the loser point:

Pens 74

Caps 74

Flyers 68

Bruins 76

Lightning 80

BJs 60

Canes 68

Isles 66

Florida 64

4 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

When I start looking at playoffs and how things may pan out eventually the loser point catches my eye and just how frickin dumb it is. Columbus doesn't even remotely deserve to be in this discussion of playoffs at 13 OT losses. 

Geez oh pete does the loser point **** me off.

Without the loser point:

Pens 74

Caps 74

Flyers 68

Bruins 76

Lightning 80

BJs 60

Canes 68

Isles 66

Florida 64

Yes, this year.  A year where the Canes have been good at OT and SO.

In a different year (like most of the last 10), we may think differently.

I began watching hockey casually during the 2002 SCF appearance, and bought my first season tickets after 2006. I guess I’m not stuck on tradition like some might be. The 3 on 3 OT and shootout to me are exciting parts of the game. Since all teams have exactly the same chance to pick up “loser points”, I don’t see how awarding them unfairly affects the standings. I’ve seen suggestions that each game be worth 3 points. Regulation win would be worth 3. OT or SO win gets 2 with OT/SO loser getting the 3rd point. That would be one way to place more value on regulation wins, but I’m not sure it’s any less perfect than the current system. 

30 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Yes, this year.  A year where the Canes have been good at OT and SO.

In a different year (like most of the last 10), we may think differently.

I think theres only 2 seasons in the last 10 years where the loser point did us any good. The 10-11 playoff race and maybe last year. More often then not it's cost us 2-3 draft positions while also missing the playoffs by over 10 points. For instance did the Canes teams with 16 and 15 OT losses really need loser points to feel good or their proper draft position in the long run? We still missed by over 10 points, loser points just seem like putting lipstick on Hamilton.

2 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I began watching hockey casually during the 2002 SCF appearance, and bought my first season tickets after 2006. I guess I’m not stuck on tradition like some might be. The 3 on 3 OT and shootout to me are exciting parts of the game. Since all teams have exactly the same chance to pick up “loser points”, I don’t see how awarding them unfairly affects the standings. I’ve seen suggestions that each game be worth 3 points. Regulation win would be worth 3. OT or SO win gets 2 with OT/SO loser getting the 3rd point. That would be one way to place more value on regulation wins, but I’m not sure it’s any less perfect than the current system. 

I'm pretty much with you on all points.

The 3 pt. suggestion makes a lot of sense, and mostly gets push back from traditionalists.   It has not gotten consideration by the people who run the show.  I guess the big deal is you can't equate points very well with the past.  But I'm with ya, I wish they'd do it.

One important change they DID make this year is that tie breakers start with RW instead of ROW.  That's already had an effect on day by day standings when compared to the old ROW system.

4 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Since we all walk into the season knowing the rules, I agree loser points aren't unfair. But the overall idea is brutally flawed is what I'm getting at.