The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Of our current, healthy Defencemen who can play their off side?  If we don't have any that can do it, I suppose we would call up either McKeown or Priskie and put them on the bottom pairing. 

With McKeown in the system longer and more of a defencive, defenceman I guess he would be my choice.

I just don't think Keane has been in our system long enough to bring up, but stranger things have happened.

Whatever we do, whether pull off a decent, sensible cost effective hockey trade in goal or D, or call ups that make the most sense experience wise, what we have to do all variables considered is, PROVE we have the org depth and ability to overcome injury on a level with what the pens have done. Our injuries, this latest barrage, aren't necessarily "star" level like pitt,  but all three have shown time and time again in this topsy turvy season, how critical their play and quality of it, has been to OUR success nightly. So we're overcoming just as much if we do. Several players in CLT are NHL ready, but just NHL ready and ready for the kind of grind and battle we face down this stretch is a different colored horse. I'm of the mind to throw some youngins into the fire in this scenario, while knowing what we have in current roster, and see where that leaves us moving into coming seasons depth wise. Unwise and costly trades and trying to mesh them in with this team's proven inconsistency, is more risk than likely playoff reward IMO. See what we got. There are clearly weaknesses in the teams we have to outdistance, Isles been fading for a while, not sold on CBJ either, so our chances are not nil, even if playing unproven commodities, and in the dizzyness of this metro season, we could somehow miraculously catch lightning in a bottle. 2 cents.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SAT_Line said:

Of our current, healthy Defencemen who can play their off side?

Brindy once said something like if you can play hockey, you can play hockey.  But with our current group Edmunson is currently playing his off-side Fluery has although in my opinion both are better on their natural side. Still they can and do.

Another option at least in the short term is to dress 5 D and an extra forward

13 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Nice idea...but is it feasible with our upcoming schedule?

Just now, AWACSooner said:

Nice idea...but is it feasible with our upcoming schedule?

I did say short term

16 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Really? 

2 minutes ago, cc said:

Really? 

I said option, I said short term. No I don't think that is what we will do. I think we will make a trade or sign BOGO

37 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I did say short term

I get that Xer, but even the short term is brutal...Stars, Avs, and Habs aren't exactly gimmes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I get that Xer, but even the short term is brutal...Stars, Avs, and Habs aren't exactly gimmes.

If whoever we have come Tuesday night play with the focus and determination we played with Saturday, I still like our chances. Maybe some adversity has been needed to light a fire under everyone’s butt night in and night out.

Whatever the hell THAT was last night needs to be bottled and sprayed on the boys for every single game from here on out

So no word officially on the injuries? 

Again, I'm concerned about going with two AHL goalies. So unless either Reims or Mrazek is thought to be ready to go in the short run...but then we did just call up both AHL goalies, so that seems unlikely.

I'm speculating here, but Mrazek probably had a concussion. Otherwise, he'd have probably gone back in instead of the zamboni driver. If so, he'll be out for at least 10 days most likely. 

I will say this. While March is brutal, the first 4 days of March are off. So, I guess, if we think Mrazek could be back in 10 days, the AHL boys would have to start and back up only 3 games. In fact, we'd have 12 days of recovery in there. The problem with concussions though, is that they're unpredictable. 85% are good to go within 14 days. But the other 15% can be much much longer. 

But just to point out that even if both guys were out for close to 2 weeks, at most we'd need to give our AHL guys 4, maybe 5 starts. And 12 days or less would be 3 starts/backups. 

6 hours ago, remkin said:

I'll build off of this post because I agree. Unless McKeown has shown issues this year (I only put this since I don't know), he is the guy I'd call up. Not only RHD, but as you point out, the most solid defensively of all of them. Shaya called him, I think, the most important Checker in their cup run, or something like that. He was at the top of the AHL in +/- for the two previous seasons. He was declared NHL ready by Canes brass THREE years ago. Pesce is solid. McKeown is solid. 

Priskie is improving, but his forte is offense, and he doesn't even have a full pro season yet. Don't know Kaskie, but Keane would be the longest shot of all. Still only 20. No time to even learn the system in the AHL. He's a future future IMO.

Bean is the highest end guy, but he is a LHD so how many guys do we want on their off side? 

McKeown. Maybe Bean. Of course, that's just my opinion.

I think he is this year's Andrew Poturalski.  Will give his all, not get a call, then pack bags for greener pastures.  Unfortunately for Andrew P, he has spent most of this season injured here in San Diego, but you get the point.

New owner. Storm surges. Jerks. Svech goals. Aho Stardom. Zamboni driver miracle. If nothing else, the canes have morphed into the viral darlings of hockey. Even drive by sports fans now know there's a hell of a fun team in ole NC. "Come follow the CAROLINA HURRICANES. We got the #1 T-Shirt business on the planet." LOL

12 hours ago, beboplar said:

I think he is this year's Andrew Poturalski.  Will give his all, not get a call, then pack bags for greener pastures.  Unfortunately for Andrew P, he has spent most of this season injured here in San Diego, but you get the point.

Yes. I'd go further though. While Poturalski was a highly effective AHL player he seemed overmatched in the NHL. McKeown has just never gotten a look. Probably not a great time in history to be a defensive defenseman. It points out that the NHL bottom pair defensive guys, a lot of them, are there because they got a look and managed to get in enough NHL games to be thought of as an NHL defenseman. My guess is the McKeown is as good as most of them, but just can't get a look. 

Partly this is because the committee, and frankly Brind'amour, are very hesitant to play "non NHL" D men. Exhibit A is how hard it was for Fleury to get the kind of consistent ice time he needed to get his NHL game down. I've heard from several sources, including NHL D men, that it takes about 200 NHL games for a D man to "get it" at the NHL level. That takes investing in your players. But we keep signing the CDH's and Gardiner's of the world, and even now contemplating trading for an "NHL" defenseman. I get the reason, and I'm not even saying it's wrong, but there is a downstream price. And the embodiment of that to me is McKeown. If he were a LHD, he'd already have fallen behind Bean.

But we traded to get McKeown, and developed him into a very solid D man at the AHL level. Get him some NHL games. Even many of the young gun stud D men of the league have times in their first couple of years where they don't look great. IMO we need to re-*edit* how we develop D men. It could be argued, (because it was on here over and over, that X young D man just isn't that good). Again, that guy has only a handful of NHL games. 

As much as I lament McKeown, my bigger fear is that we botch Bean and/or our new shiny objects Priskie and Keane. 

well guys, Rod has come out and said all three casualties from Saturday are gone long term...so here comes the Ned/Anton show

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

well guys, Rod has come out and said all three casualties from Saturday are gone long term...so here comes the Ned/Anton show

8 minutes ago, thickburglar said:

So Pesce was a shoulder injury? I thought he got cut by Tavares' skate. 

When I go back and look at the play, JT never touched Pesce.  He stuck his stick out with his right arm and then starting wincing in pain.  It was weird.