The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

11 minutes ago, thickburglar said:

Hmm. He had shoulder surgery in spring 2018. Cannot be good if that same shoulder is re-injured. 

The injury was almost like what you see with an Achilles heel.   One minute the guy is fine.  He makes a small move, nobody is touching him, and he is down bad.

Except it wasn't his achilles.  So wondering if something repaired just decided to tear or something.  Not good!

Yup I thought Mrazek was concussed. Those are very unpredictable, but best case is about 10 days, and 85% are back in 2 weeks. The schedule is our friend in this though. 

It is not crazy to extend the style we got to with our EBUG in net to what we might do with two AHL Goalies. And Ned and Forsberg both have NHL games. Of course so does Ayers. 

You could name drop a couple other mid season AHL goalie call-ups like Binnington and Murray. Those would be the major success stories. But our guys should be able to hang with most teams barring situations like facing Ovechkin on the power play. 

53 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I heard them say it was the leafs 1st round pick  

Not quite accurate Cff. Jamie posting over on canescountry qualified this to be "the lowest of the 2 1st round picks" in this draft. The pressor scheduled will probably clarify all info about these deals. 

21 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not quite accurate Cff. Jamie posting over on canescountry qualified this to be "the lowest of the 2 1st round picks" in this draft. The pressor scheduled will probably clarify all info about these deals. 

If so,  then I feel even better about this deal.  Funny thing is I was thinking wouldn’t it be nice if we could structure it that it was the lowest of the two pics? But I didn’t know we could actually do that. 

Losing prospects via trades has never bothered me too much and particularly since the league evolved to the dynamic of so many 18-19 yo's who can jump right in and play high level within their 1st year.  With the real impact type guys breaking in and excelling early on, it leads me to think that the 20-22 year old prospects, while still developing and D men requiring longer and having big upside, those big upsides are more in line with average NHL play and careers, and the loss of them a whole lot simpler and cost effective to replace through drafting and developing the pipeline.

In trading for today's younger yet veteran players, I like the fact that we got players with term, saying they at least had the confidence of management to have been willing to dish out term on their contribution to their teams. Just because their teams were willing to part with term contracts, doesn't mean they aren't fits for what Rod does here, and in fact it at least looks like both guys will fit that bill. I've seen enough of Trochek this year to see where he can help us setting up our more prolific scorers, and if paired with Svech or TT(at times) and he's willing to build a net presence, he'll get plenty of high quality chances himself. Our top guys can pass and set up borderline scorers with the best of them, and if he gets anywhere close to the ice time on the 2C, he will turn out to have improved our team. Skjei and Vatenen, I like Skjei better. Big body, move the puck, couple things needed and probably an upgrade from anybody we got now that isn't named Slavin or Pesce.

Addition by subtraction that Haula appears to have turned into, for all the various reasons everyone states, will not be missed here, the early start was smoke and mirrors based on what it has looked like since November. I liked the play of Wallmark as he had this knack for scoring drought ending goals that on several occasions got us out of a serious lull of a game or two, but his overall game wasn't doing enough to capture anything more than 4th line minutes.

OVERALL, the org showed it's willing to move forward and within a year or two become a regular playoff fixture contending and not pretending. Ill spend money and support that attitude long as I'm on the top side of the grass.

• Like 5

At the end of the day  you have to ignore what the canes gave up  and look at what they acquired !  Are the Canes better now than  they were yesterday ?  Yes  with Bacon on top !  Can the Canes   be in a playoff spot let alone   go deep ?  Find out next week on Dragon ball Z ! 

CAROLINA HURRICANES

Carolina Hurricanes
PROJECTED CAP HIT Tooltip : $82,601,553
PROJECTED LTIR USED Tooltip : $2,078,802
PROJECTED CAP SPACE Tooltip : $977,250
CURRENT CAP SPACE Tooltip : $5,250,000
TODAYS CAP HIT Tooltip : $90,930,665
ROSTER SIZE: 23
CONTRACTS: 41/50
RESERVE LIST: 68/90

6 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Hamilton was LTIR’d. His season is done.

Assuming the Canes  need to think long term here  Vatanen is going to be a free agent after the season .   Canes are walking a thin line  dancing around the cap . I'd assume   the cap is going up after this year ? 

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

Assuming the Canes  need to think long term here  Vatanen is going to be a free agent after the season .   Canes are walking a thin line  dancing around the cap . I'd assume   the cap is going up after this year ? 

Well, they’re gonna need that increased cap to pay Svech after next season...and Necas soon after that.

• Like 3

Just now, AWACSooner said:

Well, they’re gonna need that increased cap to pay Svech after next season...and Necas soon after that.

I just remembered  Patys  contract done , then HWSNBN  then  Faulks  that frees up  for a good chunk of money . 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Hamilton was LTIR’d. His season is done.

Season done, but I think he can come back if we make post-season?

And Cff, who is Patys?

Surprised we stuck with Ned and Forsberg if Mrazek and Reimer are out “long-term. Hopefully, one of them pulls a Bennington. But having not acquired even a serviceable backup by trade, if Ned or Forsberg go down before Mrazek/Reimer return, we will be calling, and actually playing, one of our ECHL goalies. Petr really put us in a tough spot when he decided to leave the crease and go halfway back to Raleigh to play the puck. Situational awareness missing. With Reimer already injured, no one play is worth the risk he took. Let’s hear it for our new tandem.

12 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Season done, but I think he can come back if we make post-season?

That is true we can activate him come playoff time

45 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Surprised we stuck with Ned and Forsberg if Mrazek and Reimer are out “long-term. Hopefully, one of them pulls a Bennington. But having not acquired even a serviceable backup by trade, if Ned or Forsberg go down before Mrazek/Reimer return, we will be calling, and actually playing, one of our ECHL goalies. Petr really put us in a tough spot when he decided to leave the crease and go halfway back to Raleigh to play the puck. Situational awareness missing. With Reimer already injured, no one play is worth the risk he took. Let’s hear it for our new tandem.

Ned is fine ,  I've talked to  him   over the months when he is streaming on twitch playing  fortnite ,   and you could tell  he has been hungry to prove he is ready for the nhl .  Forsberg   from what i heard blackhawks fans say   is they thought he was ready to take the reigns    but then he got over played   and maybe injured . So that kinda put a halt to his  play at the time   .  So i can expect both will split time in the net like Petr and  Reims do anyways .   they were both doing good in Charlotte  before the call up 

Edited by Canesfanforever

16 hours ago, thickburglar said:

Hmm. He had shoulder surgery in spring 2018. Cannot be good if that same shoulder is re-injured. 

He opted for a non-surgical rehab of the shoulder at the end of the season rather than the surgery about a week after the initial announcement.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Ned is fine ,  I've talked to  him   over the months when he is streaming on twitch playing  fortnite ,   and you could tell  he has been hungry to prove he is ready for the nhl .  Forsberg   from what i heard blackhawks fans say   is they thought he was ready to take the reigns    but then he got over played   and maybe injured . So that kinda put a halt to his  play at the time   .  So i can expect both will split time in the net like Petr and  Reims do anyways .   they were both doing good in Charlotte  before the call up 

AHHH, an insider track to the goalie. That's where your insight comes from, I feel better now. I just hope his enthusiasm is matched by his play. Guess we are about to find out in the next few days?

• Like 1