The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Id like to bring up something about Nedeljkovic   ,   Ned is not a bad goalie ,    he still needs  some work at the nhl level   in order to improve  his level of  play .   He can wow you with how good he can get the puck out to his team mates and  make long passes  Better than  any goalie that ever played for the canes  ,  Once he  get  adequate   defense  in front of him  i believe he   can  do well in net ,   The  key areas to his  games that need improving   and with time it will come  are his angles   , his rebound  control ,   his glove   , and  5 hole .    I can only hope  the team  playing in front of him will only help out   where he is struggling  with and  in time  adjusting to the pace  of the nhl  his level of play will improve .   As for   Forsberg   i  have zero tale of the tape on his   performance so i can't  give my opinion on him yet .   

5 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

The  key areas to his  games that need improving   and with time it will come  are his angles   , his rebound  control ,   his glove   , and  5 hole .  

So you are saying that all of the most important areas of his game all need improving?  Great.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, wxray1 said:

So you are saying that all of the most important areas of his game all need improving?  Great.

Lol, so yeah he needs to learn how to goal tend basically?  Lets hope it's not that bad, might as well throw in there that he needs to work on keeping puck out of net.  I think Ned does fine if he gets a few more starts.  However we can't afford to wait for him to get comfortable so he better step it up now and make the most of his dream coming true, 2 injuries close to playoff time, cmon Ned, this is your chance to earn the big $ next year and be a hero. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wxray1 said:

To be honest  i just don't know where he is time table wise .  It could be 2  , 5 ,  or 8 games   and you know how  young goalies are ,   This was Neds first time at home playing against Dalas of all teams .    Ned should of been with the team at the start of the season   if you ask me  but  given the time table ned has to work with   the canes  just have to step up their defense and  stop leaving  poor ned  out to dry .    It would not  have mattered last night if  the canes had Lehner   , circa 2006  cam ward ,  or  Bobrovsky  out there  cause  goals were going to   be scored  on  them the way the canes played like defensively  last  night .   Today i suspect   our Goalie coach is  working with him today in practice   and   Ned  just needs the experience   of  the Nhl   ,    I   don't see the sky falling  yet  but  there is reason to be concerned .   

11 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I   don't see the sky falling  yet  but  there is reason to be concerned

I think this is how I see it too. Of course the wildcard (pun intended) is we don't have a lot of time or games to get it right.

• Like 2

The positives   you can take away  is 

Ned  is so damn good with his stick  and passing the puck .   He just might be the best  the canes ever had  who can  get it out long distance to his team mates .  and his  corners  are not  bad either ,    i like how  ned can dig in deep and get to post to post  fast  .  

Skjei   in his first  game   we almost saw the young  man   get a goal  and   as the game picked up i liked how   his defense picked up  better ,  With some time   im sure he is going to love this team  like he did  the rangers .

Trocheck  Fit like a glove , the guys shot might be  off  some  but you know how it is  , new team  nerves and jitters ,  The dude can flat out skate   !   and was not afraid to skate with the puck !  

The Canes definitely upgraded   at the deadline . 

Also side note ,  don't let the  score indicate to you all what kind of goalie ned  is , Remember what the canes did to Carter Hart or Thatcher Demko ?  Now look at both of those goalies . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

FWIW: D (Fleury and Edmunson in particular) let the goaltending down yesterday...but, he could have played much better.  As a small goalie, he needs to come out more and play the angles better.

I saw him in Florida years ago and although a very competent stick handler, I thought size wise he wasn't big enough to be a starting/starring NHL goalie.

Edited by Chas44

Disappointed that the Checkers brought in Condon, first of all he's freakin terrible and if you're gonna be terrible at least be terrible with our own prospects.

• Like 2

One game is an unfair sample size to rate the trades. In the long run it appears we got better. The problem is at the moment we need a sprint not a marathon. We are running out of time and games. A week ago I thought we could challenge for third in the Metro but with 20 games remaining  we are 5 pts in back of third and would need to leap 3 teams. I have put that idea aside, it could still happen the way the Metro beats itself up but has become more unlikely.

Now we are 3 pts out of the first Wildcard and 2 pts out of the last Wildcard. That means we aren't a win away but two wins away coupled with two losses by the other guys to climb back above the cutline. Doable for sure but concerning.

A little over a week ago someone mentioned watch out for the Rangers. I posted I will watch out for the Rangers when I was forced to. Well the time has come. Rangers and Florida both nipping at our heels. Another scoreboard or two to watch.

I haven't given up. We have a good chance to make the playoffs. As good as the others in contention but if we aren't careful we could be looking for miracles instead of chances to make the grade.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

To be honest  i just don't know where he is time table wise .  It could be 2  , 5 ,  or 8 games   and you know how  young goalies are ,   This was Neds first time at home playing against Dalas of all teams .    Ned should of been with the team at the start of the season   if you ask me  but  given the time table ned has to work with   the canes  just have to step up their defense and  stop leaving  poor ned  out to dry . 

Sorry, but this just sounds like fanboy excuses. Ned had previously made 2 NHL game appearances and earned a win in his start but he needs more games to be ready? Dave had about 22 minutes to wrap his head around actually dressing for an NHL game and maybe 5 more to realize he was going in, if Ned isn't ready with his previous experience then wave him and get Booth or someone else up here.

As for your other point, yes the team did not do "poor Ned" any favors at all. Ned played a decent game last night, neither bad nor great, but what you would expect from a call up. Hopefully last night was the result of our D not having had a chance to shake out the kinks of having two D suddenly playing their off side and one entirely new to the team and system. Hopefully the bugs get worked out today and tomorrow, or we bring up a RHD if needed.

• Like 1

I want to see Dzingel with Trocheck and Foegle. Don't ask. I just do. 

Edit:

Let me back this a little. I think Staal, McGinn, and Nookie have had abysmal seasons IMO. You could throw Nino in that as well. 

I get the big body checking line thing with Foegle/Staal/Nino, but he has a nose for the net with speed and size. Gritty. Reminds me 

of a poor mans Cole. Dzingel has actually amassed a decent amount of points while being on the "4th line" quite a 

bit. He clearly has skill. Any takers?

Edited by sleekfeeder

I  wonder if Svechnikov told management about Joey Keane    which would explain   why the move to get him  by trading goat .    and yes i know im late   on talking about this  and they had   no faith in priskie . 

4 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

I want to see Dzingel with Trocheck and Foegle. Don't ask. I just do. 

4 hours ago, sleekfeeder said:

Dzingel has actually amassed a decent amount of points while being on the "4th line" quite a 

Yes Sleek I'm a taker. I like that combo a lot, Trocheck speed, Foegs physicality, and no doubt amassing 21 assists with that ice time is indicative that DZ can get the puck into scoring scenarios. Not satisfied that his Defensive play is above average, but he can certainly be a 50-60 point guy with just a little more time with one of our scorers. When Haula started so well, it was pretty much him getting the puck to where Haula(when he was motivated) could work with it. 

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 12:09 AM, Canesfanforever said:

The  key areas to his  games that need improving   and with time it will come  are his angles   , his rebound  control ,   his glove   , and  5 hole .    I can only hope  the team  playing in front of him will only help out

I am confused Cff? Your previous comments suggested he was hyped for last night's game, attested to apparently by his unswerving I'm assuming focus on what, playing some video game on Twitch thru which you've apparently made some type of contact? And although our 1st game post-trade deadline exposed a shaky D, Ned certainly did not reassure me that he's ready for the NHL by making anything other than routine stops? Certainly nothing close to an OMG stop.

Now, you're listing 4 critical areas he needs work on, leaving what, 1 other, namely blocker side? He's played in the AHL for roughly 150 games and still needs to work out these flaws? You also mention one of his strong points, and I did see that last night, being his puck handling. Well that's good, but if he's unable to keep the puck out of the net, what good does the puck handling do?

Finally, I know you feel like I'm "picking on you", but I'm merely trying to understand the frequently conflicting characterization you give of this player. I'm personally concerned that his game is more AHL than NHL sound. Unfortunately at this critical juncture in the season, this team cannot afford to give him "2, 5 or 8 games" to figure it out.  

37 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I am confused Cff? Your previous comments suggested he was hyped for last night's game, attested to apparently by his unswerving I'm assuming focus on what, playing some video game on Twitch thru which you've apparently made some type of contact? And although our 1st game post-trade deadline exposed a shaky D, Ned certainly did not reassure me that he's ready for the NHL by making anything other than routine stops? Certainly nothing close to an OMG stop.

Now, you're listing 4 critical areas he needs work on, leaving what, 1 other, namely blocker side? He's played in the AHL for roughly 150 games and still needs to work out these flaws? You also mention one of his strong points, and I did see that last night, being his puck handling. Well that's good, but if he's unable to keep the puck out of the net, what good does the puck handling do?

Finally, I know you feel like I'm "picking on you", but I'm merely trying to understand the frequently conflicting characterization you give of this player. I'm personally concerned that his game is more AHL than NHL sound. Unfortunately at this critical juncture in the season, this team cannot afford to give him "2, 5 or 8 games" to figure it out.  

Name me  a goalie   coming from the ahl  that was nhl ready ?  YOU CANT !    no one can really .   it takes  time for anyone  to adjust to a   new team  ,  for ned  that is going to be a thing .   And  yes ned will be fine  ,   didn't mrazek or reimer or any goalie  for that matter  ever  give up 4  goals  in a game  ?    Ned will be fine   .   And btw     what happened in the last  game would not have mattered at all  who would of been in net   given  how the defense was  against Dalas . 

5 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Name me  a goalie   coming from the ahl  that was nhl ready ?  YOU CANT !    no one can really .   it takes  time for anyone  to adjust to a   new team  ,  for ned  that is going to be a thing .   And  yes ned will be fine  ,   didn't mrazek or reimer or any goalie  for that matter  ever  give up 4  goals  in a game  ?    Ned will be fine   .   And btw     what happened in the last  game would not have mattered at all  who would of been in net   given  how the defense was  against Dalas . 

Tim Thomas.

6 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Jordan Binnington 

I'm not going to bash Ned. The bottom line is the D didnt play very well and he could have been better. With that being said let's hope the skaters have had some practices to gel and Ned and Forsburg get comfortable enough to keep us in it

• Like 4

Im not so worried about the Canes goalie issues as I am the inconsistency of play. Without stringing some wins together real soon, we will be shopping for a goalie a lot sooner...

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Neither of them were  nhl ready .   Try again  . 

Yah, Jordan was so not NHL ready, that he came in last season and led the Blues to the STANLEY CUP!

Try again.

3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Yah, Jordan was so not NHL ready, that he came in last season and led the Blues to the STANLEY CUP!

Try again.

Far different situation  and   he was not ready  .    He thought   oh  im just going to  come to the nhl  play some games ,  we are so far behind we will   play out the season .   he wasnt told   he had to win games or miss the playoffs  ,  and that st louis blues defense  dug in deep .   They kinda had a rally cry to help them ,  do the  canes  have that ?