The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

27 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Other than the primary assist and point he looks to be a great fit in St. Louis, genius.

Is this sarcastic? Coastal I honestly can't tell. Lol. You're so good sometimes.

3 minutes ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Hey, just realized there is a game on MBCSN tonight, didn't realize the season started today.

Will be curious to see how Faulk does... Blues vs Caps.

I have not turned on the St Louis game(couldn't find) but watching Toronto vs Ottawa. Senators look terrible.

Mildly interesting article by S Civ in the Athletic. (yes, now that I've finally coughed up the money, I'm liking it), about the whole Gauthier vs Necas thing. If you have a subscription it's: https://theathletic.com/1261886/2019/10/02/inside-the-hurricanes-decision-to-cut-julien-gauthier-and-why-hell-be-back/.

Basically cap issues kept us at a 20 man roster. Gauthier was better than Necas in preseason, Brind'Amour labeled him most improved, but Necas has more upside and especially PP potential. Gauthier needs to work on his away from the puck game, and finally, Gauthier will be back up at the first opportunity. 

Gauthier was not happy about not making it. (I add: I'm sure that Brind'Amour had a good chat with him that he'd have made it just about any other year, but there are opportunities every year to get back up, and he made the decision tough and everybody was really impressed, and we're watching you close to get back up, now go work on....)

14 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not sure he's "clueless" go, or rather smart as a fox, inviting all kinds of click bait criticism?

I can't say because I never, ever read the guy. But he must be getting the click bait part right, because he never gets the actual part right. Yet he's still out there.

ESPN ranks NHL defenses:  https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27749352/carolina-hurricanes-top-ranking-all-31-nhl-defenseman-groups-2019-20

l

1. Carolina Hurricanes

Even after the Justin Faulk trade, the Hurricanes still have the deepest and most complete set of defensemen in the league from top to bottom. They can all skate, they can all move the puck and they're all typically underrated in most circles. Jake Gardiner is the latest addition to the crew, and he's a perfect fit, which makes it even more remarkable that he fell right into their laps on a team-friendly deal.

With Gardiner added to the group, Rod Brind'Amour has some interesting chess pieces to deploy, and it'll be fascinating to see how he decides to use them. It'll presumably be situationally dependent. If they're trailing and looking to generate offense, he can stack Gardiner and Dougie Hamilton together. If they're nursing a lead and looking to shut things down, he can go back to ol' reliable with Jaccob Slavin and Brett Pesce, who have made their bones as one of the league's most devastating shutdown pairings over the past couple of seasons.

It almost doesn't matter who is on the third pairing considering the top four, but now there's a legitimate opening for Haydn Fleury to seize a full-time gig. Speaking of openings, now that Faulk and his high-volume, low-efficiency shooting on the top power play is gone, hopefully the Hurricanes will fully unleash Hamilton on the league. He's still one heck of a player even if they don't, but it's tough not to daydream about the potential results if a team would just fully entrust him with all of the meaty offensive minutes he could handle.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Aye .   He  is s good skater and  has a decent right hand shot , My only issue with him is his  physical play  .  

The ?? though Cff was meant to say, How pray tell would this team even begin to consider this player in its present Cap state?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Hasn't Ho-Sang long had the reputation of somewhat of a head case?  I'm asking, not making the statement. 

But if we were interested, why wouldn't we have just claimed him off of waivers instead of giving up assets to acquire him? 

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Hasn't Ho-Sang long had the reputation of somewhat of a head case?  I'm asking, not making the statement. 

But if we were interested, why wouldn't we have just claimed him off of waivers instead of giving up assets to acquire him? 

Trade means we wouldn’t have to keep on his the nhl roster. If we claimed him, we would have to offer him back to the Islanders before we can put him on waivers to be sent down 

47 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Trade means we wouldn’t have to keep on his the nhl roster. If we claimed him, we would have to offer him back to the Islanders before we can put him on waivers to be sent down 

Good point; I'm assuming we could then give him up to 9 NHL games and a max of 29 days on the Canes roster before we'd have to re-subject him to the waiver process. 

But anyone with more knowledge than I about any potential "personality issues"?  And Ho-Sang is an RFA next year; if we didn't project him as having a good chance to help us this season I wonder where he would fit in w.r.t. our other yutes?.  We're looking at NHL time for Goat this year, Bishop is a solid 4th line fill in, Geekie seems to be a strong 2020-21 possibility, etc.

Edited by LakeLivin

37 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Good point; I'm assuming we could then give him up to 9 NHL games and a max of 29 days on the Canes roster before we'd have to re-subject him to the waiver process. 

But anyone with more knowledge than I about any potential "personality issues"?  And Ho-Sang is an RFA next year; if we didn't project him as having a good chance to help us this season I wonder where he would fit in w.r.t. our other yutes?.  We're looking at NHL time for Goat this year, Bishop is a solid 4th line fill in, Geekie seems to be a strong 2020-21 possibility, etc.

All True points .   I think  Ho-Sang  would be a nice fit  if did end up becoming  a Career Year player  and then if the price was too steep  the trade bait would certainly be worth it .   Just my  thoughts on the  guy . 

Well, he was put on waivers, and 30 teams passed. That's all I need to know. Since the draft has 7 rounds, we can offer a conditional 8th rounder.

Edited by caniac6

15 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Well, he was put on waivers, and 30 teams passed. That's all I need to know.

The same could be said regarding Forsberg, Forsling, McKeown, Gauthier, Bishop ))))))

3 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

The same could be said regarding Forsberg, Forsling, McKeown, Gauthier, Bishop ))))))

Those guys are all in Charlotte, right? So, we need another guy for the Checkers?

11 minutes ago, cclifford10 said:

Why would somebody trade for a player that could have been had for free on the waiver wire earlier this week?

Same reason people were wanting  Zykov  or McElhinney .   

15 hours ago, Bonivan said:

Gauthier didn't go thru waivers. He would have been claimed! He is waiver exempt all year.