The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

1 minute ago, Canesfanforever said:

@remkin  and  @gocanes0506   I wanted to bring this up to you  both  ,   Recently with the Gauthier  / Keane trade  ,    Is is possible  he is 2 years out before joining  ?   I noticed he played with the colts when Svechnikov was there  and  wonder if  for the reason   of the trade had anything to do with that ? 

Yeah Keane might be ready next year, but at 20, I'm guessing he's more of a fill in next year. Skipping over Bean after what he's done this year in the AHL would be rough. BUT Keane probably is fully ready in two years where we will still probably be full up on D and that might prompt a trade. 

Then again, trying to predict this D in two years the way the committee constantly fiddles with it, is pretty tough to do.

Bean may get his shot next year.  If so, I would hope we sign a league minimum righty defender to carry as #7. Yannik Weber or Luke Schenn come to mind.

If Bean doesn’t perform then I can see it being Keane’s spot in 2021-22.  If Bean does as well as expected, Fleury might be the incentive for Seattle to take Nino.

Edited by gocanes0506

1 minute ago, gocanes0506 said:

Fleury might be the incentive for Seattle to take Nino.

Im starting to think that might be also ,   I think Nino is the kind of player that can work great with young  talent    until  something happens to mess up that chemistry then  Nino  Turtles out  and  just stop producing .    It could very well be a mental thing for him  he needs to address with a therapist  .   Take for instance   His   ppg   with aho and turbo  last year .   The dude was on fire  and once the playoffs came around   he disappeared .    Now recently  he found something with Necas before the trade deadline  ,  I wonder if he will keep going or   bottom out  now that Trocheck is now playing with him . 

6 hours ago, beboplar said:

In retrospect, the Canes activity at the trade deadline was a surprise.  I say that in relation to trade deadlines of past seasons, but now that I get to know who TD and DW are, I guess I should not be surprised.  Losing Hamilton was disappointing, losing Pesce was crippling.  I thought they built up stock in the D type stocks to respond to this type of situation, but alas they decided to make 2 acquisitions, one with term, one rental.  They also decided to trade for a RH shooting top 6 forward.  Well, I have to say I have been touting that for only a few years now.  In the process, they gave up a lot of prospects and a 1st round draft pick they spent over $6M on, but I will say I am on board.  I was not crazy about the Gauthier deal, but it did allow the inclusion of Priskie to obtain Trocheck.

When bodies repair, we will have a lot of capable Dmen in Slavin, Hamilton, Pesce, and Brady.  Vatinen, TVR and Edmundson are UFA's.  Gardiner is still a guy I want the Canes to unload.  Fleury seems like a keeper.  Bean seems ready, and McKeown will probably walk due to lack of opportunity.  They may take a look at resigning Vatinen, who knows.  

They still need a power forward moving forward to get to the next level.

We took on Marleau's $6m cap hit but it didn't cost TD that much in actual salary.  Marleau was scheduled to receive $4.25m last year, and I'm guessing we saved a couple sheckels on that when we bought him out.  I think I heard that the Leafs pick actually cost the Canes a bit over $3m.  Not chump change, but not $6m, either.

edit:  just looked at CapFriendly and I think the Leafs 1st will end up costing Dundon $3.83m. 

Edited by LakeLivin

Michael Smith gave injury updates Canes Reinforce Lineup After Trio of Injuries

Petr Mrazek, who sustained a concussion in a violet race-to-the-puck collision with Kyle Clifford, is expected to return the earliest of the bunch. He might be out for even less than "weeks, at most," according to Canes President and General Manager Don Waddell.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Good news  ,   Hopefully he wont do it again  by playing stupid games winning stupid prizes ! 

He gave up his body to make a play, one that if he didnt make likely ends up in a goal. He played the way we all wish the while team would. It happens.

• Like 1

OBXer, I'm unclear on this Mrazek injury? It was 1st announced as "concussion", but I later understood it not to be that, but "neck injury"? Have we had that clarified?

Not sure what to make of “less than weeks at most” but healing time for concussions is hard to predict. I think there are at most 6 weeks left in the regular season. I guess it’s too soon to give up on Ned and Forsberg, but rather than trade assets for an injured defenseman who will be a UFA, I wish we had picked up a veteran goalie with NHL experience. Other than Lehner, there may not have been any studs out there, but a playoff push where 2 or 3 losses may sink the season is a lot of pressure to put on 2 minor league goalies with less than 40 NHL starts between them. Then again, Cam Ward had never been an NHL #1 goalie going into the SCF in 2006, so there’s that.

13 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

He gave up his body to make a play, one that if he didnt make likely ends up in a goal. He played the way we all wish the while team would. It happens.

There is a time and place for that and it certainly does not start at the goalie position lmao  .    Id like to see our defense men or staal   play the body   though . 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

OBXer, I'm unclear on this Mrazek injury? It was 1st announced as "concussion", but I later understood it not to be that, but "neck injury"? Have we had that clarified?

Only what Waddell has said. It is still a guessing game as far as I know.

"He's symptom-free right now. He's got more of a neck injury from getting hit like he did. He hasn't had a headache," Waddell said on Monday. "But, you go through the protocol and let time elapse. You don't know. It might linger around for five or ten days, but we don't think it's long. He's got no history of it."

Most dont seem to agree but I do feel a team needs one or 2 players that play that rougher style of game, even if only to protect the smaller skilled players who dont.

Now I know most will think me crazy, but I would not been upset one bit if Carolina had gotten Lucic instead of Calgary, yes he best offensive days seem to be behind him, although he is putting up decent numbers since the coaching change. But smaller guys like Gaudreau are taking a lot less slashes and cheap shots this year than they did last. And that protection and confidence for the smaller players usually ends up in bigger numbers and less injuries. Unless its in Calgary then you get almost a frustrated as a Leafs fan.

I have been cheering for Ned. to get a chance to play for a while, but have been coming to the conclusion that he may only be an ok to good NHL goalie, which is fine except most ok to good goalies dont end up winning you a cup. A lot of good goalies dont. Kolzig, Burke.. etc

Never watched Necas up to this year, but from the games I have seen I have been really impressed. Is it just me seeing him on his highlight moments or is he really that patient and good with the puck ?

6 minutes ago, AmxCanes said:

Most dont seem to agree but I do feel a team needs one or 2 players that play that rougher style of game

The whole boards has been screaming for that since almost day 1, but no Lucic, thanks (imo).

I will let @remkin to comment on Necas properly ;)

Geekie has a rough and tumble  style  that  can gel with the canes   although  i do believe he needs more time to develop   which saves the canes from losing him  in the seattle draft .  Which leads me in to talk about just that . 

Come 2021 before the nhl draft    after the 2020 -2021 season is done    The Canes need to   look at who is worth protecting   ,   And  yes  i know   it's impossible who  will still be with the canes a year from now  ,   But   lets take a look anyways on who should be  and should not be protected  . Im going with  the 7 players  and 3 defense  and 1 goalie 

1. Aho

2. Svech 

3. Turbo 

4. Necas 

5.  Staal ( unfortunately ) 

6. Foegle 

7. Trocheck  

------------------------------------------

Defense  

1. Slavin 

2. Hamilton

3. does gardiner have to be protected ? if not  either pesce  or    Skjei 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Who ever is going to be the canes main goalie by then . 

p.s.   Is it possible to convince Staal  to   just go away ? 

Edited by Canesfanforever

Just now, Canesfanforever said:

Geekie has a rough and tumble  style  that  can gel with the canes   although  i do believe he needs more time to develop   which saves the canes from losing him  in the seattle draft .  Which leads me in to talk about just that . 

Come 2021 before the nhl draft    after the 2020 -2021 season is done    The Canes need to   look at who is worth protecting   ,   And  yes  i know   it's impossible who  will still be with the canes a year from now  ,   But   lets take a look anyways on who should be  and should not be protected  . Im going with  the 7 players  and 3 defense  and 1 goalie 

1. Aho

2. Svech 

3. Turbo 

4. Necas 

6. Foegle 

7. Trocheck  

Defense  

1. Slavin 

2. Hamilton

We don’t have to protect Necas.  

We can have enough cap space to sign/trade for a top 6 winger. Protect that person.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

We don’t have to protect Necas.  

We can have enough cap space to sign/trade for a top 6 winger. Protect that person.

Thank goodness.   3 year rule out  , right ?

8 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Thank goodness.   3 year rule out  , right ?

Yes he hadn’t officially started his professional career until this year because of the European slide rule.

24 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

1. Aho

2. Svech 

3. Turbo 

4. Necas 

6. Foegle 

7. Trocheck  

Defense  

1. Slavin 

2. Hamilton

p.s.   Is it possible to convince Staal  to   just go away ? 

If it’s any consolation, they only get one player. I know there is another choice that would let us protect 3 defensemen. No way I don’t protect Pesce. Francis would take him in a heartbeat

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

If it’s any consolation, they only get one player. I know there is another choice that would let us protect 3 defensemen. No way I don’t protect Pesce. Francis would take him in a heartbeat

No doubt about that ,  that's why i  asked if  Gardiner  has to be protected because of his m-ntc 

12 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

There is a time and place for that and it certainly does not start at the goalie position lmao  .    Id like to see our defense men or staal   play the body   though . 

I could actually read this comment, and agree 💯percent!

34 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I could actually read this comment, and agree 💯percent!

If he would have been hung out to dry and gave up a goal both of you would be singing a different tune. Also someone else mentioned it took a strange bounce off the boards, so if it didnt he very well may have played it cleanly and not gotten hit.

Just now, Derailed75 said:

If he would have been hung out to dry and gave up a goal both of you would be singing a different tune.

False.  I would not sing differently.

I am not a fan of goalies going out to the dots.  I was at the game where Khudobin made the exact same move and suffered a severe non-contact injury (caught an edge or something).  Haven't been a fan of that behavior since.

I have a question.  John Forslund never misses an opportunity to remind the fans how much ($6,000,000 in fact) was spent on the new scoreboard in the arena.  It happens to the extent that I almost feel like he was slighted on his check this past year, but they spent that much on the scoreboard type of comments.  As often as it is mentioned, it is almost like he is trying to remind someone about it.?.  Is there a story behind this or is it just coincidence?  If this has been discussed before, please forgive me for asking about it, I could not find it.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

False.  I would not sing differently.

I am not a fan of goalies going out to the dots.  I was at the game where Khudobin made the exact same move and suffered a severe non-contact injury (caught an edge or something).  Haven't been a fan of that behavior since.

That play was essentially the story of Khudobin's time with the Hurricanes - he returned and even came back for another season, but his post-injury play never matched his pre-injury play.  And his stats ever since have looked better.  No way to know of course, but i have the feeling had that freak injury never happened, he might still be the guy.  There's risk-reward, yeah, but i'll pass on those moves from a goaltender as well.

Edited by realmdrakkar
  • Like 1