The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

I hear you. I heard him on a podcast talk about negotiations last year. He was very professional about it but it was obvious he was angered by the whole process. Hes a pro tho, I dont think hes gonna air that grievance on TV. 

9 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

No doubt about that ,  that's why i  asked if  Gardiner  has to be protected because of his m-ntc 

I'd be gob-smacked (I love that word but don't get to use it very often, lol) if The Committee gave Gardiner a contract that forced them to protect him in the expansion draft. Regardless of how they projected Gardiner going forward, they knew they'd likely be protecting Slavin, Pesce, and hopefully a re-signed Dougie.  

53 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I'd be gob-smacked (I love that word but don't get to use it very often, lol) if The Committee gave Gardiner a contract that forced them to protect him in the expansion draft. Regardless of how they projected Gardiner going forward, they knew they'd likely be protecting Slavin, Pesce, and hopefully a re-signed Dougie.  

My Choices  as well .   Although  we will know for sure  in 1  year from now ,  Things could change in that time   and we all could be saying Skjei   should be protected over Pesce   given how   Pesce could be  injury prone . 

I know that TD gave Forslund a one year deal, and as much as you'd possibly expect from John he dropped the veil on that he was surprised by that. What I wonder though is the details. I'm guessing that Forslund has an out clause if Doc Emmrick ever retires and the national job is offered to him. Could be that TD doesn't like giving a long term deal with the out clause? I'm purely guessing here because otherwise it makes no sense to me. 

If you're lucky enough to have a guy like Forslund calling your games, you gotta lock that down.

• Like 6

When I surf around and watch games here/there or the 5 minute game highlights there are play by play/color man duos that are brutal beyond belief with terrible voices, unable to seamlessly interact with one another, pathetic homers (Boston), no voice excitement if the other team does something real legit etc. We really have a great tandem. Nothing lasts forever but I hope it does. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, OBXer said:

Michael Smith gave injury updates Canes Reinforce Lineup After Trio of Injuries

Honestly not to excited about Mrazeks quick return.  I mean a slumping goalie who is recovering from concussion symptoms.  If anyone needs there balance and to see straight on the ice it's your goalie!  Lets hope he has zero symptoms when he returns.  We can't afford to put him in for a game and than take him out half way when he is getting lit up  due to "concussion symptoms".  Happens a lot when players are rushed back.

Edited by Danimal38

2 hours ago, remkin said:

I know that TD gave Forslund a one year deal, and as much as you'd possibly expect from John he dropped the veil on that he was surprised by that. What I wonder though is the details. I'm guessing that Forslund has an out clause if Doc Emmrick ever retires and the national job is offered to him. Could be that TD doesn't like giving a long term deal with the out clause? I'm purely guessing here because otherwise it makes no sense to me. 

If you're lucky enough to have a guy like Forslund calling your games, you gotta lock that down.

I love Forslund   for his professional calling of  Canes games  and when you try to find people as good as John Forslund   it is extremely  rare .    Dundon is already in the dog house to me  on a few things he has said and done  and if he wants to be cheap and get rid of Forslund  I would never forgive  Dundon. 

Edited by Canesfanforever
  • Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 1:10 AM, Canesfanforever said:

Name me  a goalie   coming from the ahl  that was nhl ready ?  YOU CANT !    no one can really .   it takes  time for anyone  to adjust to a   new team  ,  for ned  that is going to be a thing .   And  yes ned will be fine  ,   didn't mrazek or reimer or any goalie  for that matter  ever  give up 4  goals  in a game  ?    Ned will be fine   .   And btw     what happened in the last  game would not have mattered at all  who would of been in net   given  how the defense was  against Dalas . 

Did anyone mention Matt Murray? He did pretty well coming to the NHL from the A. Sorry if it has been mentioned.

28 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Did anyone mention Matt Murray? He did pretty well coming to the NHL from the A. Sorry if it has been mentioned.

You’re not going to convince him.  He will bring up some convoluted statistics that he thinks proves his point and then he’ll act like a donkey and tell you you’re wrong.  

5 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

You’re not going to convince him.  He will bring up some convoluted statistics that he thinks proves his point and then he’ll act like a donkey and tell you you’re wrong.  

🤣😂

44 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Regular season   Playoffs
Season Team League GP W L T/OT MIN GA SO GAA SV% GP W L MIN GA SO GAA SV%

2014–15 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins AHL 40 25 10 3 2321 61 12 1.58 .941 8 4 4 456 18 1 2.37 .923
2015–16 Pittsburgh Penguins NHL 13 9 2 1 749 25 1 2.00 .930 21 15 6 1268 44 1 2.08 .923

I stand Corrected .   very surprising .  good job  @caniac6  The penguins won the cup that year . 

Edited by Canesfanforever
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

There is a time and place for that and it certainly does not start at the goalie position lmao  .    Id like to see our defense men or staal   play the body   though . 

You mean like clinging to a 2 goal lead with 22 games left and every point counts, playing against one of the teams you are in a fight for a playoff spot?

I say that sounds like the time and place.

5 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

I love Forslund   for his professional calling of  Canes games  and when you try to find people as good as John Forslund   it is extremely  rare .    Dundon is already in the dog house to me  on a few things he has said and done  and if he wants to be cheap and get rid of Forslund  I would never forgive  Dundon. 

Look, in the grand scheme of things we watch the games when Shaya calls them and we will continue to do so. Dundon knows this so that fact that John is the single best play by play guy any team employs really doesn't matter to him. I would hate if John left but would understand it. John is ready for the bigs prime time games for a national network, you cant expect Dundon to pay a salary comparable to what John is gonna make when he makes the leap. 

Hes a legend no doubt but his talent long ago past what his position pays and every day he calls another Canes game is a bonus for us

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

Look, in the grand scheme of things we watch the games when Shaya calls them and we will continue to do so. Dundon knows this so that fact that John is the single best play by play guy any team employs really doesn't matter to him. I would hate if John left but would understand it. John is ready for the bigs prime time games for a national network, you cant expect Dundon to pay a salary comparable to what John is gonna make when he makes the leap. 

Hes a legend no doubt but his talent long ago past what his position pays and every day he calls another Canes game is a bonus for us

Dundon has made it clear that his business model includes providing the most entertainment to the fans as possible.  So the question might be whether he sees that only applying to the in-house experience, or if he views maximizing the experience of the larger fan base as ultimately contributing to the revenue stream as well.  

But even if so I also question whether once Forslund gets the national network call if he'll match a national salary for a home team announcer.  

Edited by LakeLivin

13 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Dundon has made it clear that his business model includes providing the most entertainment to the fans as possible.  So the question might be whether he sees that only applying to the in-house experience, or if he views maximizing the experience of the larger fan base as ultimately contributing to the revenue stream as well.  

But even if so I also question whether once Forslund gets the national network call if he'll match a national salary for a home team announcer.  

I get that but answer honestly, you gonna stop watching if he leaves and Shaya takes his place?

Just now, Derailed75 said:

I get that but answer honestly, you gonna stop watching if he leaves and Shaya takes his place?

Of course not.  And I've noted that I don't think Shaya is that bad. He's just unfortunate to be filling in for Forslund.  If I can switch sports for my analogy, it's rare to get a Steve Young that comes in right after a Joe Montana.

While we are talking about broadcasting, I know that I'm sounding like a broken record, but one of the great pleasures in my early formative years after having discovered hockey(I'm embarrassed to admit how recently that was compared to most on here it seems), but on the 75 mile ride back  from the RBC Center in those days, was listening to Mike Maniscalco(The Big Rig as he's known today), on The Aftermath. When they replaced him, the show IMHO lost a lot. Presently its truly hard for me to listen to it with the present host, Alec Campbell. The format Appears to have changed, without call ins which added a lot, but now is Campbell dragging things out, and a brief interlude from Forslund, the latter all I care to hear.

I guess the reason I share is I wonder if anyone knows who in charge that I can share my displeasure, and do you think it will do any good? Anyone else on here have similar feelings? I realize its not the same as the discussion above on Forslund's TV broadcasts, but Lake, I'm sorry in regard to your reflection, Shaya just does not do it for me either and I do realize it's because of who he might have to follow? I think Abby Labar could honestly do a much better job, but I'd love for the organization to preview The Big Rig there? 

On 2/27/2020 at 10:48 PM, Canesfanforever said:

No doubt about that ,  that's why i  asked if  Gardiner  has to be protected because of his m-ntc 

Only a full NMC clause has to be protected.  Staal is the only Cane that is required to be protected.  You can see each teams

list of eligible and exempt players on capfriendly.com by clicking on interactive, then Seattle Draft simulator. 

13 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

We watched when they were really bad, and I'd be lying if I said our broadcast team wasn't part of the reason we were so loyal. I can honestly say that if Shaya takes John's place, I won't watch as much. I've done that this season. The announcers are part of the whole package.

9 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

While we are talking about broadcasting, I know that I'm sounding like a broken record, but one of the great pleasures in my early formative years after having discovered hockey(I'm embarrassed to admit how recently that was compared to most on here it seems), but on the 75 mile ride back  from the RBC Center in those days, was listening to Mike Maniscalco(The Big Rig as he's known today), on The Aftermath. When they replaced him, the show IMHO lost a lot. Presently its truly hard for me to listen to it with the present host, Alec Campbell. The format Appears to have changed, without call ins which added a lot, but now is Campbell dragging things out, and a brief interlude from Forslund, the latter all I care to hear.

I guess the reason I share is I wonder if anyone knows who in charge that I can share my displeasure, and do you think it will do any good? Anyone else on here have similar feelings? I realize its not the same as the discussion above on Forslund's TV broadcasts, but Lake, I'm sorry in regard to your reflection, Shaya just does not do it for me either and I do realize it's because of who he might have to follow? I think Abby Labar could honestly do a much better job, but I'd love for the organization to preview The Big Rig there? 

The contracts can be complex.  Ultimately, the team has a say.  Specifically John, Tripp and Mike are part of the team operations.   Alec is different, but I would venture the team has a say in what Capitol does.

If you want contacts.  For the team, Mike Sundheim would probably be a good start.  For the radio, try Brian Maloney.  (http://www.capitolbroadcasting.com/about-us/)

The radio and TV landscape have changed through the years.  I was a listener right from the start, I think on WPTF (680).  Times change, and right now they've landed at Capitol, which is part of the WRAL empire.  To me, it is too bad Curtiss Media doesn't play in this space.  Oh well, I think they are done with sports.

The radio aspect has interesting history with many changes through the years.  Heck for the first 5+, there was no pre or post, so that stunk.  Then it started up, and I can't remember who got mixed out with the big change between '06 and '09.  I do remember  Mark Roberts (Brain Game and Ford spokesperson) had a brief run on the radio doing Alec's job.  It was, uh, interesting.  Didn't last long.

The calls right after the game were fun, and I miss those.  You have to wait a long time now to get to the calls.  I'm usually home and brushing my teeth by then.  Many of the calls were useless, though.  But fun.  The Goodmon's run as tight a ship in business as Dundon, so I think you are seeing an optimization of advertising revenue in lieu of fun drunken calls from people on the road.  😵

I guess I've come to accept it for what it is.  But I think feedback is useful for those more inclined.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised to see Abby get a promotion.  She's one of the best in arena talent we've had.  She did very well in Mike's stead on TV.

Edited by wxray1

11 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Seems like hockey play-by-play announcers need a skill set that's different from what commentators, color analysts, or even play-by-play announcers from other sports need.  Gotta know all the opposing teams numbers for each game and be able to immediately recognize what's happening, by who, and then quickly and intelligibly communicate it throughout a game of continuous action (not to mention the quickest team sport there is).   I do get what you're saying about the communication style/ tone of Abby or Maniscalco; much more pleasant to the ear than Shaya.  But I'm guessing the play-by-play job isn't one someone could just step into without a lot of prior experience.  Maybe the team could audition Abby or Rig and quickly get a pretty good idea if there was any realistic chance of somehow grooming either one to eventually take the reins?  But I'd be very surprised if either could effectively do it immediately.  All speculation on my part though, lol.  

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 1

Maybe the mods should give the announcers their own thread. That being said, no one really knows what was the sticking point in Forslund’s contract negotiations this year. Maybe it was money, but maybe it was wanting more freedom to call national games, and finding a balance on how many would be allowed. If it’s only for 40 games a year, I want Forslund to call Canes games as long as possible. But I would watch no matter who does play-by-play. For many years I had Center Ice and watched a lot of out of market games. The quality of announcing varied widely, but I watched the games that interested me for the hockey, not the commentary. If John leaves, I would not assume Shaya will take over. He’s just who is nearby and available right now for what is a fairly rare occurrence. There are lots of guys calling hockey games at lower levels that would jump at the chance to land an NHL job. And like Tripp seems to be growing on many around here, whoever steps in can grow into another fan favorite given time. Hope we keep Forslund a long time and keep an open mind if he moves on. We know he’s the best, and should want him to take his career as far as possible.

After having only HNIC for a long time, then finally getting center ice and realizing just how good our announcer are and how bad a lot of other teams are. Forslund/Tripp do a great job and seem to have a good chemistry. And while Jack Edwards is a serious homer, he also several time a game will point out praise for the opposition players, and love or hate him, he is decent at his job, and better than a whole lot of others. All that needlessly being said....

I agree with pretty much everyone here, wanting Forslund to stay with the canes. Its a huge part of what makes the games more enjoyable to watch, because there are some games i would like to watch but cant sit through the announcers.

Carolina Hurricanes: Rod Brind’Amour needs a fire under his seat

Rod Brind’amour is a Hurricanes legend. Historically great on the ice, off the ice. With the way the season is going so far should he be on the hot seat?

Edited to remove copyriight content. Follow link to read the editorial

Have a Snickers Caniac_fan. Edmundson pulls his weight. Gardener is merely ok. It’s weak at this point for Tripp to say he’s almost fully adjusted. Gardiner should be an offensive force at this point and he’s not even close. Staal I agree with you. Trocheck is a meh for

me at this point. Choked on the breakaway against Habs backup goalie. I never wanted Roddie as a HC but he heavily proved me way wrong. He’s the best HC we’ve had since Lavy no question. Last, none of us are privy to locker room dynamics or how well coaching staff meshes with mgmt. 

Edited by raleighcaniac
  • Like 3