The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Rod is a legend with Canes fans, but he is only under contract through next year. He worked a miracle last year, and not just by making the ECF. The Canes were badly in need of a culture change to shake off 10 years of losing. And Rod provided it. No way I’d give up on him so soon, even if he was not the franchise’s most beloved player. I might consider changes at the assistant level. Unlike Peters, who seemed to draw names from a hat every 10 minutes to set up his lines, Rod seems to make changes very incrementally. And having lost 2 of his top 3 D, he has struggled with how to distribute his defensive talent for best results. But Pesce has only been out 3 games. Maybe this 4 day break will give the coaching staff time to better pair their defensemen. TD doesn’t strike me as someone who will put up with long-term underperformance by his HC, but I’m pretty sure Rod still has his confidence now. My biggest concern with Rod lately is his inability to motivate the team to start on time and play 60 minutes of hockey every game. But I’ve seen far more good than bad from the Canes under Rod, and don’t think he is or should be on the hot seat. If they are not meeting the bar this year, remember it was Rod who raised it where Mo, Mueller and Peters failed.

• Like 4

A reminder when posting articles from other sources

7. RESPECT COPYRIGHT LAWS
Sharing news items is welcome but you must post a link, or give proper credit in standard news format to the author/source instead of reproducing the entire article.

• Like 1

Forslund is great for many reasons. But lately I've appreciated his modesty, his humor and his ability to drop commentary right into his play by play. When he says "shot from the point no tip available", or a shot is "easily handled" by X goalie, he is also building a feel into the call that the team is not quite getting it done on that play. Over the course of the game it tells part fo the story well beyond who passed to whom. He does it on the good side too. He's also been willing to call out officials and players when it is part of the story of the game but without over doing the homerism. John's call works at every level. Casual fans get a nice call of the action, and seasoned well informed fans get the inside stuff. And this is even before his riffs with Tripp. 

Shaya seems like a decent guy, and his calls are not terrible. But to steal and switch up Lake's analogy, Shaya is like Wallmark while John is Aho.

But rather than fear his leaving, I just try to enjoy his being here for as long as it runs.

• Like 5

March is tough. It's a gauntlet of back to backs, 3 in 4's never more than one day off etc. It's frankly nuts. But this team absolutely could get on a roll.

It has not really come together after Dougie went down, but now we have key players trying to integrate into a new team. This is a known challenge. One of Boomer Gordon's main contentions against rentals is that they have to adjust and by the time they do it can be over. (The other 2 are giving up assets for said rental, and the effect on the room of guys who have been major factors getting their ice time taken away by the rentals (see Pittsburgh). So will our guys adjust quick enough?

The main question in my head is going with 2 AHL goalies. Bringing one up is an entirely different scenario IMO. It's not just their save percentage, it's that the team plays differently. We rallied around the Zamboni driver, but not around the AHL guys so far.

But if we at least get Mrazek back, and pick a back up, and the new guys mesh a bit, and we get to our best game, we could go on a run. Or not. But we are due for one.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, remkin said:

The main question in my head is going with 2 AHL goalies. Bringing one up is an entirely different scenario IMO. It's not just their save percentage, it's that the team plays differently. We rallied around the Zamboni driver, but not around the AHL guys so far.

That's my question also rem, and to all who are in the throws of searching for the one culprit to blame, frankly there is not a single one, not Rod Brind'Amour, nor everyone's favorite whipping boy Gardiner, either of the 2 new traded players or their 3rd injured one, the bemoaned chemistry we lost in Wallmark or the 2 "new" goalies, but a combination of ALL. For those laying the blame on Brindy, and please, I'm not his apologist, but imagine attempting to reintegrate parts in this entire team that has been riddled by KEY player injuries? Just pointing to Pittsburgh, and saying they have weathered a similar storm, to me, is not the equivalent, as players they've replaced were done so with granted at times lesser players, but at least they were familiar with the system, Trocheck and Skjei were not. Ned and Forsberg were not all that aware.

Then, lets look at the new goalie tandem. As good as people might think they are, quoting their "holy" statistics in the AHL, and granted one or both of them MIGHT BECOME at this level, their idiosyncrasies must be integrated into the complex overall puzzle formed by 18 other players.

So, to me again, this has to be a nightmare scenario for ANY coach, but I will say it again, I have the utmost confidence that Rod, if any coach can, can pull it off as he has LIVED and experienced that type of upheaval as player, so as well as anybody, sees it thru their eyes.  The question though is, do we have time over the next month and what, 18 short games in what amounts to a "murder's row" finish? 

No disrespect to others opinion, but my eye test says, Rod plays favors to J.Staal and has lost the room. This team had several periods of not showing up long before Hamilton went down, so I dont blame it on injuries... Week after week of the same mistakes with no improvements, says coaching staff doesnt know how to fix it, or the players refuse, or cant.......I am out of the excuse kool-aide mode....

• Like 3

This team will be fine. March is tough, but it is also an opportunity: To step up. I expect this team to take full advantage of it. 

For the team to do as well as it has since losing Pesce and both its keepers (three of six possible points) while also integrating new players and two AHL keepers bodes well. Ned looked night-and-day more comfortable last night and pretty much got the team a standings point all by himself. Mrazek is fueled by emotion, and he's going to have plenty to work with when he's back, especially if he's back against Philly, who took a pass on re-signing him. 

The next few days will be about finishing our new guys' transitions to the system, and hopefully Sami will be a part of that. But either way, it's easy to forget that, no matter what the tickets or schedule say, the playoffs start in March. Last night's final result was a disappointment, but clawing back in a game like that simply would not have happened for this franchise as recently as two years ago.

We said this same thing about this time last year, and it's no less true now: You gotta believe.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

This team will be fine. March is tough, but it is also an opportunity: To step up. I expect this team to take full advantage of it. 

For the team to do as well as it has since losing Pesce and both its keepers (three of six possible points) while also integrating new players and two AHL keepers bodes well. Ned looked night-and-day more comfortable last night and pretty much got the team a standings point all by himself. Mrazek is fueled by emotion, and he's going to have plenty to work with when he's back, especially if he's back against Philly, who took a pass on re-signing him. 

The next few days will be about finishing our new guys' transitions to the system, and hopefully Sami will be a part of that. But either way, it's easy to forget that, no matter what the tickets or schedule say, the playoffs start in March. Last night's final result was a disappointment, but clawing back in a game like that simply would not have happened for this franchise as recently as two years ago.

We said this same thing about this time last year, and it's no less true now: You gotta believe.

I don't think we are playing terrible.  Wr just don't come out on time or have minor break downs that leads to devastating results.  No team can truly recover from losing the caliber of dmen in Hamilton and Pesce.   Then you throw in both goal tenders going down and it's like a double whammy.

• Like 1

In the last game  against the habs   The canes were using different lines  ,  I wonder if the SAT  line is done , Cause i saw  Aho  and turbo with other people  and svech trocheck and necas playing with each other.   

Edited by Canesfanforever

I agree with those who say there is "no one to blame". There really isn't. We have a team that is good, not great, and we stayed in the hunt until now. In fact, we're still in it despite the serious hand we've been dealt with injuries, etc. The difference between good teams and great teams is that great teams can withstand a little more adversity, mostly because they've got a built in cushion in their record. But a lot has to do with the caliber and experience of the players. This is a young talented team, but there are holes. We are down several guys at the absolute worst possible time. It's nobody's "fault", it's just the way it is. Will they become great and overcome it, or will they be the good team we know they are and fall a little short due to the adversity? Personally, I think they'll fall a little short....and while I'm not okay with that, I understand that sometimes you do everything right and things you can't control get in the way. One thing is for sure, given the situation, I'm not calling for anyone's job or their captaincy over this.            

• Like 1

It is a coaching problem i see ,   A lot of guy are out of position  playing for themselves instead of playing as a team .   Making boneheaded mistakes  on both sides of the rink  and to play chase  and once they do have the puck they  turn it over   .   This is not a winning formula  for success ,   Don't believe me ?  Take at look at what the other top teams are doing precisely  and  watch how they  get the puck to each other with poise and   strong team play ,   Then  look at  how the Canes play and you will see  how vastly  different  the team play is seriously lacking  . 

I think whats best  for the offseason this coming summer is to get rid of  Dean and Jeff and the goalie Coach     and replace them with people more competent  at those positions  because what ever they have been telling the rest of the Canes players  has fallen on deaf ears   and for god sake   rename  who  the Captain should be   because  guys in the locker room  turn to their Captain  for leadership  and I  have yet to see it  with Staal !        

I've been looking at the boards more sporadically recently so sorry if this point has already been made and I missed it. But a simple thing that stands out to me is that our special teams have declined. Our PP is currently #12 in the NHL, with 41 goals on 193 opportunities (#1 is Edmonton with 56 goals on 191 opportunities). I don't remember our ranking early in the season but our PP was on fire, which Dougie played a huge part in, and that translated to more wins.  Edmonton is showing a PP at full potential, and that 15 goal difference between us and them could be worth who knows how many wins. In this league of parity (especially in the East and especially in the Metro) PP and PK make a huge difference. If you're Boston, Tampa, and Washington and have a PP that is ALWAYS a threat you end up with that extra handful of wins. Our PP1 line with SAT and Dougie is capable of hitting that elite level but we need Dougie for it. 

Then our PK is #13, also middle of the pack, but we give up the #1  MOST PP opportunities (226) to other teams. This is probably due another issue--all those soft penalties we give up--and that to me is the most coach-able problem we have.  

I'll say again, teams go on runs. While March looks daunting, we have 4 days off to get the new guys on board and hopefully get Mrazek back. There are surely "ifs" that have to come together, but if they do, this team is due a run. If Skjei settles in, If Vantanen contributes, if Mrazek gets back (or at least close to back), and if Trochek settles in and lifts the games of his wingers, it can all come together. There is a pretty good team in there. Will it come out and come together? I really don't know, but I know it could.

The crammed in, nuts schedule has one upside, it could also lead to a run. If the team gets hot, they are playing constantly. If they find their game it could be easier to stay on it. Last year the team played far better when it was playing a lot than when it had time off. It could happen.

• Like 1

93c99361d6542dfa7fdf8a5fcfaae976_reasona

Brind’Amour says it doesn’t look like Mrazek is close to returning.

Brind’Amour says Vatanen got in some skating before practice.

Aho with Nino, Teuvo; Staal with Dzingel, Williams; Trocheck with Svech, Necas; Martinook with McGinn, Foegele.
  • Like 1

So, keep looking for a win for an AHL goalie. Maybe get some help on RHD. 

But mainly I like the notion of Trocheck, Necas and Svechnikov. Trocheck and the star kids. Not sure how they'll mesh, but if Trochek gets that line going it could be dangerous.

• Like 2

So SAT line is broken (Rod saying "told ya" in the background) :) 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Trocheck and the star kids.

That could fly

1 hour ago, remkin said:
Aho with Nino, Teuvo; Staal with Dzingel, Williams; Trocheck with Svech, Necas; Martinook with McGinn, Foegele.

This looks good on paper, if Nino can wake up.

20 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I agree. Lots of doom and gloom on these boards. If we were like the pens and lost our last 6, yes then panic mode. I have a feeling we will have a big winning streak when we start again.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, remkin said:

I'll say again, teams go on runs. While March looks daunting, we have 4 days off to get the new guys on board and hopefully get Mrazek back. There are surely "ifs" that have to come together, but if they do, this team is due a run. If Skjei settles in, If Vantanen contributes, if Mrazek gets back (or at least close to back), and if Trochek settles in and lifts the games of his wingers, it can all come together. There is a pretty good team in there.

Rem, have you pulled permits yet for your new island?  😉 😇

• Like 1

Canes have 10  tough teams   and 6  they should beat in march.   Saying the canes can split  the 10   with  the tough and win  5   and then  win 4  out of the 6  easy teams ,   They are looking at 18 more points .  Canes sit with  75 points      they could get to 93 points  .  The question is  ,  Is it   enough to  get them a playoff spot  ? 

Edited by Canesfanforever

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Rem, have you pulled permits yet for your new island?  😉 😇

Not quite there yet, but I'm checking the weather for this year. Now my long term island is in full development though!

5 hours ago, remkin said:

Oy. Freakin'. Vey.

3 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

This looks good on paper, if Nino can wake up.

No, it looks like Roddy still doesn't get it: You don't split up your only scoring line. You read your vets the riot act, ending with, "Remember Haula? You all could be next."

• Like 1