The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

I have to give everyone a hand.  :applause:  I haven't been on for a couple of days and I expected everyone to be taking the pipe.  I don't hear no fat lady.

Hang in there, we are gonna get this.  We lost a lot when we lost Pesce and the 2 sieves.

• Like 6

The fat lady may be warming up, but she hasn't stepped on stage yet. I still am hopeful we can pull it off.

There is no doubt that this team is dealing with adversity—Dougie, Pesce, and both goaltenders out, PP & PK on the decline, and some players having poor seasons (Staal, Gardiner, maybe Nino). There's no one player or coach who shoulders most of the blame—it's a team thing. But it seems to me that two things need to change team-wise for us to make the playoffs. 

First, we've got to start moving the puck up the ice and into the O-zone without dumping and chasing (and typically giving the puck up) or our D-men taking shots from the blue line without anyone within a mile of the net. We're just lazy—it's easier to dump or take long shots than making good passes, everyone getting their butts up the ice quickly, and creating chances to score. To me, that's a coaching thing and needs to be corrected.

Second, we've got to have intensity the moment we hit the ice. As everyone has noted, we're showing up late and spotting the other team one or more goals to start. It's not clear why our mental focus is so lacking at the start of games. You would expect professional athletes to have learned to self-motivate, but that simply does not happen on a regular basis with us. We've seen the team come out ready to play in the 3rd and close the gap or even eek out a close win, so it CAN happen with this team. Rod, the assistants, Jordan, and JWilly (or whoever else) need to figure out what's going on and fix it. We can't keep showing up mentally one or two periods and expect to make the playoffs.

Of course, we got to have everyone elevate their individual games and our AHL goalies have got to come through (and get Mrazek back), but from a team standpoint, the above two issues need to be solved. We've got to come together as a team on the ice.  

Edited by spyglass88
  • Like 1

Now that Brindy says Mrazek won't return soon out playoff hopes will live and die with Ned and Forsberg. Ned looked good in relief against Montreal. Lets hope he can continue to give us a chance. It will take a team effort in front of these two.

Brindy's line tryouts continue. Nino was skating with Aho and TT yesterday. I guess the SAT line becomes the NAT line. I hope they are as irritating to other teams as Knats at a outdoor party. That puts Svech with our new center and Necas. That could finally get us some secondary scoring. Will see,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Now that Brindy says Mrazek won't return soon out playoff hopes will live and die with Ned and Forsberg. Ned looked good in relief against Montreal. Lets hope he can continue to give us a chance. It will take a team effort in front of these two.

Brindy's line tryouts continue. Nino was skating with Aho and TT yesterday. I guess the SAT line becomes the NAT line. I hope they are as irritating to other teams as Knats at a outdoor party. That puts Svech with our new center and Necas. That could finally get us some secondary scoring. Will see,

If the plan is to put Svechnikov on Trocheck's line with Necas, I like it.  Trocheck is  RH center and it makes sense to have a good scorer on his left wing, and in this case he gets scoring on both wings.  Aho and TT need to be paired with a power forward.  Not saying Nino is the answer, but looking forward, if they shuffle the deck, that is a player they need to go get.  This seems doable in the off season, as JW will surely retire and Marleau's deal will be off the books.

Spyglass, I couldn’t agree more about too much dump and chase and too many point shots. Though 3 of those point shots found their way in against Montreal (one tipped), we keep seeing shot totals slanted our way, but high danger shots are obviously not. We have skilled guys who can shoot the puck, but too often, rather than cycle the puck or try to hold the zone while a play develops, we settle for a shot from the blue line and a lot of those get blocked and set up odd man rushes the other way. And we are dumping the puck in when we don’t even have players in the zone yet, resulting in easy clears. This to the point where TT dumped the puck in to change during the 3 on 3 against Montreal, resulting in a breakaway goal that cost us a point. I know sometimes you have to dump the puck to make a change, but it seems like we just do it by default. It looks like the guys are either being coached to dump the puck, or have not been coached to cut it way back. Rod and company need to get this corrected now. It really makes large parts of our games almost unwatchable. But no one has heard me yet when I yell at my television.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

But no one has heard me yet when I yell at my television.

You need to hang out with me more.  They can hear me yelling from OK

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Spyglass, I couldn’t agree more about too much dump and chase and too many point shots. Though 3 of those point shots found their way in against Montreal (one tipped), we keep seeing shot totals slanted our way, but high danger shots are obviously not. We have skilled guys who can shoot the puck, but too often, rather than cycle the puck or try to hold the zone while a play develops, we settle for a shot from the blue line and a lot of those get blocked and set up odd man rushes the other way. And we are dumping the puck in when we don’t even have players in the zone yet, resulting in easy clears. This to the point where TT dumped the puck in to change during the 3 on 3 against Montreal, resulting in a breakaway goal that cost us a point. I know sometimes you have to dump the puck to make a change, but it seems like we just do it by default. It looks like the guys are either being coached to dump the puck, or have not been coached to cut it way back. Rod and company need to get this corrected now. It really makes large parts of our games almost unwatchable. But no one has heard me yet when I yell at my television.

Hate to tell you bdc, but "cycling the puck" does not seem to be our forte either? Too often, we cycle, and cycle and cycle, only to lose the darn thing. It drives me crazy when I see other teams do so, and get a shooter score. Unless it's our youthfulness, I can't understand why our players can't master it?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Hate to tell you bdc, but "cycling the puck" does not seem to be our forte either? Too often, we cycle, and cycle and cycle, only to lose the darn thing. It drives me crazy when I see other teams do so, and get a shooter score. Unless it's our youthfulness, I can't understand why our players can't master it?

They don't practice that .    Their game is a  heavy forecheck  and create turn overs   tactic  .   and when they have guys in position they  roll into  1-2-2 trap .   The defense come  into add to that 4th offense  from time to  time ,  instead of the center taking over that job , it's for anyone really.  

38 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

They don't practice that .

And you know this how? Besides, my comment merely was an observation that from time to time, they DO attempt to "cycle the puck without much success. Now however you want to label it, and I do agree that our identity rests on a heavy forecheck to create turnovers, but not 1-2-2 trap?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

And you know this how? Besides, my comment merely was an observation that from time to time, they DO attempt to "cycle the puck without much success. Now however you want to label it, and I do agree that our identity rests on a heavy forecheck to create turnovers, but not 1-2-2 trap?

The 1-2-2  trap is when   the Canes are defending the lead mostly .  Watch that toronto game again , or   if the canes get good enough  lead  in their next game hopefully  watch how they defend it ,   it's   only  in the blue line   of the canes defense zone .   they do it all the time .   when they are chasing   for a goal they tend to go with a wing lock  style   play the boards  with heavy   focus for a dump and chase which   a lot of people dont like  and I  understand why   but and once they are in   a lot of  their games is  behind the net offense , i think the 4th line  plays a crash the net style  .    Brind'Amour   has the troops   play differently   based on the play of the game  be it  they are  chasing or defending  .      Im not a fan however of their diamond  / shooting hybrid  pp  style  since  it tends to complicate matters more then help  them .   

Their  choice in pp  needs to change and seriously .

Edited by Canesfanforever
  • Like 1

Offsides rules are changing next year, the trailing foot can be lifted above or behind the line as long as the elevated trailing foot doesn't pass the line.

I personally loved how black and white the rule was. Every call was understood by the fan and not subjective. Which is not how the NHL operates. Some fans are gonna say the skate blade was past the line others aren't. 

Some fans have whined they don't care if it's a smidge offsides and it was ruining the game. Ok, well I don't care if the puck didn't fully cross the goal line it's ruining the game for me too? What a dumb argument, sometimes this game of inches screws you, you don't change the rules for the inches you do/don't like.

Should be if any portion of either skate breaks the plane of the blue line before the puck AND the player isn’t in possession, then it’s offsides.

I can’t fathom why they can’t make it that simple!

19 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Should be if any portion of either skate breaks the plane of the blue line before the puck AND the player isn’t in possession, then it’s offsides.

I can’t fathom why they can’t make it that simple!

I can answer that the trailing foot rules allows for more offense which is what every league strives for because it helps bring in casual fans.

I actually kind of liked it the way it was yet I understand the idea behind the proposed change but Legend is right this is going to make a black and white rule subjective.

I'm thinking that with tracker in the puck and something on the player, maybe even in the skate, that one day there will be some sort of beam sent out right at the line that will automatically tell if the puck or skate went over first. But for now it will be easier to call on video review with this rule.

8 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'm thinking that with tracker in the puck and something on the player, maybe even in the skate, that one day there will be some sort of beam sent out right at the line that will automatically tell if the puck or skate went over first. But for now it will be easier to call on video review with this rule.

With the tracker in the puck  , I would only be assuming they use that tech  to determine if a goal is scored  when it is buried  underneath  players / goalie     to register if it crossed the  line ?  

4 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

With the tracker in the puck  , I would only be assuming they use that tech  to determine if a goal is scored  when it is buried  underneath  players / goalie     to register if it crossed the  line ?  

could be. I don't know. Seems probable eventually.

4 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Offsides rules are changing next year, the trailing foot can be lifted above or behind the line as long as the elevated trailing foot doesn't pass the line.

I personally loved how black and white the rule was. Every call was understood by the fan and not subjective. Which is not how the NHL operates. Some fans are gonna say the skate blade was past the line others aren't. 

Some fans have whined they don't care if it's a smidge offsides and it was ruining the game. Ok, well I don't care if the puck didn't fully cross the goal line it's ruining the game for me too? What a dumb argument, sometimes this game of inches screws you, you don't change the rules for the inches you do/don't like.

If they want a sensible rule change on offsides it should address how long the team that scores was in the offensive zone. Now, if a team enters the zone, keeps the puck in play for 30 seconds or more, or even scores on the second or third shot, the goal can be disallowed on review if the entry was offsides, even if the (barely) offsides entry did not contribute to the goal being scored. There should be some way to quantify whether the offsides entry contributed to the goal being scored. Otherwise, it’s a less meaningful missed call than the 5+ that happen to the Canes in every game.

Legend, I don't think this rule is going to increase the subjectiveness of offsides. Think about how much time is wasted by refs staring at video trying to decide when/if the foot was off the ice. Now the review will no longer be worried about elevation just how far forward.

Something that the Canes broadcast   , mostly  Trip  has been harping on  is the idea of having another ref   up in   a box  watching the game with video screens   for him to see all  the stuff that goes on during the game   and if   someone were to   have a penalty   then the video ref judge  could signal to  the ref on the ice to blow his whistle and inform  him   of the incident .       so that  penalties   that would get called out   that there would be no mistake  of claim  for  embellishment , or trip  or  cross check  .    

and all of this crap is going to lead to games taking 3.5 hours.  I am all for getting it right but at some point they have to draw the line.  I can live with a missed call here and there.  I know it seems that we have had many as of late, but so have other teams.  I think it all washes out with a large sample size to be honest.  I just hope they don't ruin the pace of the game with a bunch of nonsense and every 3 minutes players are standing around waiting for a damn review to be completed.  Let the Refs ref and the players play and all will have fun!  

So the gist of the situation is if you don't like a certain NHL rule, give it a season or two and they'll change it.  No reason the refs suck - they have to learn a whole new set of rules every season.

1 hour ago, Tightlinez said:

and all of this crap is going to lead to games taking 3.5 hours.  I am all for getting it right but at some point they have to draw the line.  I can live with a missed call here and there.  I know it seems that we have had many as of late, but so have other teams.  I think it all washes out with a large sample size to be honest.  I just hope they don't ruin the pace of the game with a bunch of nonsense and every 3 minutes players are standing around waiting for a damn review to be completed.  Let the Refs ref and the players play and all will have fun!  

Image result for it's super easy barely an inconvenience gif

On 3/3/2020 at 9:26 AM, OBXer said:

Let's face it.  The team dropped the ball by focusing on the blue line and not a goalie during the TDL.  It was a legit bone head and foolish decision.