The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

The brain trust failed the team this season.

Gardiner= F

Keeping Edmundson= D

not giving Lehner a good deal= F

Dzingle= D

Haula trade= C

Skjei trade= C

Trocheck trade= D so far

Vatanen trade= F

Reimer trade= A

Marleau trade= A

pretty bad season so far.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

That’s being kind 

Got to keep it positive since BD58 is done with that burden.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, bluedevil58 said:

I'm not mad.  Just very disappointed.

I didn’t say you were mad.  You were done being positive.

So, Don traded two roster players and two Checkers for Trochek, a guy who has 10 goals this season and since joining the Canes and playing top 6 minutes has ZERO points in how many games now, 4? But Don wasn’t done. He then gave up two Checkers and a draft pick for Vantenen (sp) an injured player who is significantly more injured than thought. Waddell and the supposed committee s**t the bed on these two with the amount of giveaway. Shameful effort. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

So, Don traded two roster players and two Checkers for Trochek, a guy who has 10 goals this season and since joining the Canes and playing top 6 minutes has ZERO points in how many games now, 4?

Trocheck was playing? 

Didn't notice.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 6:52 AM, bluedevil58 said:

Let's face it.  The team dropped the ball by focusing on the blue line and not a goalie during the TDL.  It was a legit bone head and foolish decision. 

if we're not scoring on the front lines, all that the defenders and goalies can do is limit the goals against. Trochek needs to start earning his keep just like the rest of the forwards. 

21 minutes ago, donwalrus said:

if we're not scoring on the front lines, all that the defenders and goalies can do is limit the goals against. Trochek needs to start earning his keep just like the rest of the forwards. 

Spot on... Being a one line only team, is not going to get you many wins... The talent was on this team this year, for some reason the leadership could not bring it together. Ive been very pleased that TD has spent money to do something rather than nothing. At least this is refreshing to go out and try and instead of the we like our group talk...

• Like 2

All we gave up for Trocheck that might have had any impact here after this year was Wallmark. Haula wasn’t coming back and neither prospect was likely to play in Raleigh. Trocheck has been a disappointment for sure, but I still believe he could be an asset the next two years. Wallmark is probably a career 4C, though he did show flashes of offense sometimes. For this season, the question is whether moving Marty into his spot was a downgrade and I think it was. The jury is still out on this trade. I hope over the next 2 years Trocheck makes it look better.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gardiner= F

Keeping Edmundson= D

Dzingle= D

Haula trade= C

Skjei trade= C

Trocheck trade= D so far

Vatanen trade= F

Reimer trade= A

Marleau trade= A

I think it's early on Trocheck, and Skjei, but to this point I can't really disagree. The thing about Skjei is that we gave up a first rounder for him. I still like the idea of Trochek, but I haven't watched him much before the trade, so I'm counting on the committee's NHL scouts, but given that list above, I'm less confident in them. For the Marleau trade to really stay an A, Skjei has to become the guy. Otherwise we tossed that away too.

I know there are some that will vehemently say we had no options, and so far the TD moves that we did make have not worked, but going with two unproven AHL goalies was very risky. 

The team needs a streak and while it may be fair to give the goalies some slack, they have no wins and don't seem about to let us go on a streak. 

I hold out hope. But if we don't, maybe the ticket office will get back to respecting it's customers.

• Like 1

Trocheck was a move for the long term and not the sprint.  The jury's still out on whether he's the right piece, but like Pamlico i was happy to see an attempt made rather than the Francis style of sitting on his hands.  Gut instinct is that after a few more games, or after a training camp at the least, he gets it and is the 2C for the foreseeable future.  At the very least i think he's a better fit there than Staal, and while i miss Wallmark, i'm happy with Aho-Trochek-Staal-Martinook down the middle for the time being (not 'bouncing off the walls' happy, but happy).  Must admit i'm still scratching my head on the Vatanen move - if he had even another year on his contract then i'd be all in but the ship is sinking and dude's UFA in a month.  I'm happy enough with Skjei and will be even happier if it means we can move Gardiner and/or Edmundson (or even just relegate them to the 3rd pairing) - a top 4 of Slavin/Pesce/Hamilton/Skjei has me smiling and profiling.  I do wish the team could have brought in more goaltending, but i don't think there were a lot of options at a reasonable cost.  That's what i'll tell myself at least.  Plus i think with better defense, either Nedl or Forsberg would be fine as backups.  Short answer, i think our training camp roster looks better now than before the trade deadline, and i think if the team makes it to the playoffs, it's a little better there as well.  I just don't know if it was improved enough to get to them.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gardiner= F

Keeping Edmundson= D

Dzingle= D

Haula trade= C

Skjei trade= C

Trocheck trade= D so far

Vatanen trade= F

Reimer trade= A

Marleau trade= A

Justin Williams = B+ 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thickburglar said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/sami-vatanen-injury-status/c-315888210

We thought he would be ready in early March. How did we screw this up? 

it almost sounds like we thought he was ready, then he stepped on the ice for practice and something happened that revealed the true extent of his injury and he's gonna sit for a while before stepping back on the ice even to practice. Either way, dont think it matters much for this team's overall chances this year. I dont think he's THAT much of a stud defender

2 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Trocheck was playing? 

Didn't notice.

The ONLY thing I've noticed about Trochek (at least a few times) is the guy can skate through defenders and get to the net. Just seems like when he does it, he's kinda going solo with no wingers ready for passes or rebounds...I think the guy has potential, but something isn't clicking right now with him and our "system"

• Like 3

13 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gardiner= F

Keeping Edmundson= D

Dzingle= D

Haula trade= C

Skjei trade= C

Trocheck trade= D so far

Vatanen trade= F

Reimer trade= A

Marleau trade= A

This is a bit of Monday morning QBing.  Fair to say all on this site were happy with the Haula trade, surprised/pleased with the Dzigel signing, pleased with the Faulk/Edmundson trade, very happy about the Darling/Reimer deal (even if Reimer was just used as trade bait).  I was pleased they resigned Petr.  I was perturbed/****** they signed Gardiner at all, and for 4 years was ^^^^.  Trading for Vatanen while McKeown gets gray hair down in Charlotte was sad to me.  Trocheck needs more than 4 games before he becomes Victor Rask.  The Marleau trade?  $6+M for a pick that got traded away for a player you rate a "C"?  I would say the Marleau trade now looks like an F.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, beboplar said:

This is a bit of Monday morning QBing.  Fair to say all on this site were happy with the Haula trade, surprised/pleased with the Dzigel signing, pleased with the Faulk/Edmundson trade, very happy about the Darling/Reimer deal (even if Reimer was just used as trade bait).  I was pleased they resigned Petr.  I was perturbed/****** they signed Gardiner at all, and for 4 years was ^^^^.  Trading for Vatanen while McKeown gets gray hair down in Charlotte was sad to me.  Trocheck needs more than 4 games before he becomes Victor Rask.  The Marleau trade?  $6+M for a pick that got traded away for a player you rate a "C"?  I would say the Marleau trade now looks like an F.

I disagree about Gardiner. Maybe the 4 years was a gamble but 4 mil for him was CHEAP at the time with how high expectations for him were. de Haan is a 4.5 mil cap hit for Chicago and Faulk is 6.25 mil to compare 

14 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gardiner= F

Keeping Edmundson= D

Dzingle= D

Haula trade= C

Skjei trade= C

Trocheck trade= D so far

Vatanen trade= F

Reimer trade= A

Marleau trade= A

go, hate to disagree with your statement as all are relatively accurate, but hindsight is always more accurate?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

go, hate to disagree with you state as all are relatively accurate, but hindsight is always more accurate?

Then again, most of us were elated when we got Mongo from Chicago

I don't think mgmt has enough respect for our 3rd/4th lines while trying to plug holes in the top 6.  Solid players in the bottom 6 are what carries a team when the 1st/2nd lines get in a funk.  Plus trading or letting Centers walk who have proven their worth makes no sense. Not to mention in a pinch they can play top 6.  When Doc Ryan was here his by-year numbers were 11g/29pts, 15g/38pts, Then he goes to Calgary and his numbers are 13g/38pts, and this yr so far 10g/29pts. Being paid 3.1m for that type of consistent effort hes had over 4 years is too much? IMO, no. Walmarks numbers last season were 10g/28 points and this season 11goals/23pts. He was probably on his way to 14 goals and 30 points. Exactly what you hope a 4C will do for you along with PK. He was a bargain at 675k/yr. I like my 3/4 line grinders (like a McGinn), they add their element to make the game better and its a rare day they don't pull their weight as a line.

Edited by raleighcaniac