The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Some rumors circling around Twitter that Aho is out.  ???

Hope it's just some sarcastic jokers having fun with the Geekie recall.  

13 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

Some rumors circling around Twitter that Aho is out.  ???

Whaaaat??? I haven't seen anything serious happened to him, unless he fought through that? maybe something short-term, i.e. day or two?

23 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Aho is fine .    Martinook on the other hand looked like he was in pain  during the 3rd period  and i didnt see him play much ,  Hope it's nothing serious . 

Yeah Cff, just finished watching my recording and he was grimacing there at the end in a brief glimpse of him there on the bench.

13 minutes ago, legend-1 said:

Yup  ,  saw it  yesterday  and  they also  called up janne kuokkanen  . Guess the Devils are not afraid to test out their new toys  and   and see what they are made of  .   

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

Yup  ,  saw it  yesterday  and  they also  called up janne kuokkanen  . Guess the Devils are not afraid to test out their new toys  and   and see what they are made of  .   

I will never understand why this team is so hesitant to call up AHL players.   Last year's Calder Cup team was basically dismantled.   If I am a Charlotte Checker I would not have a good feel about getting a chance with the big club.   Matter of fact I would probably ask (of course very politely) for a trade.   In the past when players were called up they got to sit in the press box or were so limited in minutes played.   Seemed like a waste of time. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

I will never understand why this team is so hesitant to call up AHL players.   Last year's Calder Cup team was basically dismantled.   If I am a Charlotte Checker I would not have a good feel about getting a chance with the big club.   Matter of fact I would probably ask (of course very politely) for a trade.   In the past when players were called up they got to sit in the press box or were so limited in minutes played.   Seemed like a waste of time. 

Management has extreme confidence issues  ,  And well  if they feel strong about  calling up a player it's because  they like what they hear about them enough to  give them nhl  time ,   if not then   they continue to fester  in the ahl .   The Canes  do call up players   sometimes  but if they feel the need not to  then they wont .   

Well when you are the Nj Devils you have nothing to lose or win. That's what rebuilding teams do not what playoff teams do

• Like 1

PSA to all y’all:

the Four Points by Sheraton that’s by the Arena (next to Backyard Bistro) is now open for booking for the outdoor game.

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

Well when you are the Nj Devils you have nothing to lose or win. That's what rebuilding teams do not what playoff teams do

I sadly remember too many games in the past at this time of year where the Canes were letting the youth run amuck since there was nothing to lose.  They were fun, and sometimes surprisingly successful.  Always just a sugar high though.

I think there is something to be said for guys who are AHL studs whose game just don’t translate to the NHL. If I’m not mistaken, Zykov led the A in goals, but after short stints with the Canes (waived) and 2 other teams, he’s back in the A. I have a feeling Goat may follow a similar path. You see a guy score a lot of goals in Charlotte, or have a lot of points, but if you’re not watching him play night in, night out, you don’t have a feel for whether he has the total game, speed, hockey sense and the rest to translate to the NHL. A lot of people wondered if Goat was more ready than Necas after training camp, and now I think the answer is obvious. We have coaches in Charlotte and scouts who see them enough to know (we hope), in games and practices. Necas and Fleury were always expected to make it to Raleigh based on their draft status, and it looks like they are here to stay. Hopefully, Bean is not far behind. Pittsburgh comes to mind as a team that has called up guys out of necessity, and a number of them have been at least serviceable. Geekie made a great first impression. In his post-game interview, he said he had worked hard to get here and would have to keep working just as hard to stay. I think he understands a one game sample size doesn’t prove anything. The fact is there aren’t enough spots on a contending team for every guy who has one good camp, or was drafted in the 2nd round from Finland to make the team.

I am puzzled by all the great things I hear about our organizational depth on defense, and then we sign deHaan, Gardiner and and TVR, and  trade for Skjei rather than calling up anyone from Charlotte other than Fleury over the past 2 years. And Fleury spent half the season in the press box before injuries gave him a full-time opportunity. But maybe this is what it’s like to finally have an owner who will spend money to get the best available player for open spots rather than fill out the bottom 6 forwards and the 3rd pair on defense with guys who are not ready, or may never be, because of an internal budget that is far below the cap. Maybe we develop most prospects until they are trade currency, and only one or two each year are likely to make our NHL team. If Kuokkanen or Claeson pan out with New Jersey, good for them, but I’m pretty sure they don’t get included in a trade for an injured rental if management is not certain they are unlikely to ever contribute to the Canes in a meaningful way.

Sorry for the long post, but I guess I’m just saying after 20 years of filling out our team with low cost players we hope will be good, we are finally in a position to fill out our team with players we think have proved they will be good. And also proved they fit the playing style and character that our coach wants (goodbye Skinner, Lindholm and Hanifin).

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I think there is something to be said for guys who are AHL studs whose game just don’t translate to the NHL. If I’m not mistaken, Zykov led the A in goals, but after short stints with the Canes (waived) and 2 other teams, he’s back in the A. I have a feeling Goat may follow a similar path. You see a guy score a lot of goals in Charlotte, or have a lot of points, but if you’re not watching him play night in, night out, you don’t have a feel for whether he has the total game, speed, hockey sense and the rest to translate to the NHL. A lot of people wondered if Goat was more ready than Necas after training camp, and now I think the answer is obvious. We have coaches in Charlotte and scouts who see them enough to know (we hope), in games and practices. Necas and Fleury were always expected to make it to Raleigh based on their draft status, and it looks like they are here to stay. Hopefully, Bean is not far behind. Pittsburgh comes to mind as a team that has called up guys out of necessity, and a number of them have been at least serviceable. Geekie made a great first impression. In his post-game interview, he said he had worked hard to get here and would have to keep working just as hard to stay. I think he understands a one game sample size doesn’t prove anything. The fact is there aren’t enough spots on a contending team for every guy who has one good camp, or was drafted in the 2nd round from Finland to make the team.

I am puzzled by all the great things I hear about our organizational depth on defense, and then we sign deHaan, Gardiner and and TVR, and  trade for Skjei rather than calling up anyone from Charlotte other than Fleury over the past 2 years. And Fleury spent half the season in the press box before injuries gave him a full-time opportunity. But maybe this is what it’s like to finally have an owner who will spend money to get the best available player for open spots rather than fill out the bottom 6 forwards and the 3rd pair on defense with guys who are not ready, or may never be, because of an internal budget that is far below the cap. Maybe we develop most prospects until they are trade currency, and only one or two each year are likely to make our NHL team. If Kuokkanen or Claeson pan out with New Jersey, good for them, but I’m pretty sure they don’t get included in a trade for an injured rental if management is not certain they are unlikely to ever contribute to the Canes in a meaningful way.

Sorry for the long post, but I guess I’m just saying after 20 years of filling out our team with low cost players we hope will be good, we are finally in a position to fill out our team with players we think have proved they will be good. And also proved they fit the playing style and character that our coach wants (goodbye Skinner, Lindholm and Hanifin).

That's a lot to take in ,   I agree  with  your post  for the most part    just want to add somethings   . 

The Checkers staff do  give Waddell and  Brind'Amour   scouting reports  periodically  if they think a player is ready or not  for  the hardships of  elevated  skill  in the NHL  .    If a  player felt overwhelmed  to the pressures   it's  mostly due to the demand  on their  body and mind .   

With that being said    in the case  for development   each  players game , It    might have a certain criteria   that needs to match their given role ,   For example with  Fleury   ,   Hayden Fleury  based on how he was projected vs  reality   were two different things ,    Lots of people thought that with Hayden  Fleury   that his confidence  , net presence  and Endurance  were only going to be 2 to 3 years out  ,   well  2014  is a long time ago  and    it took lots of time for his maturity to come in  and weight  and  frame  to be at the nhl level .    

Then you have a freak of nature like Svechnikov  who was already nhl ready  at the tender age of 18  .   Both players developed   differently   for their given role  and took  different paths . 

Svechnikov  is  a power forward  who will get faster and stronger and bigger in time 

Fleury is a Two Way defense man  and  will grow into his role  in due time . 

A lot of teams  will do the same thing the canes  are doing   and  it could take many years for players to make their nhl debut . 

I dont  think it will be  too long till we start seeing some more  guys the canes drafted some day  make their way to the nhl .     

Edited by Canesfanforever

4 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

So forsberg and  mrazek till reims  gets back . 

Looks like it, but they could still easily switch Forsberg and Ned if Forsberg has a bad outing.

If it was close to a tossup, I wonder if the fact that Forsberg is on a 1-way contract and Ned a 2-way factored into the decision to keep Forsberg instead of Ned?

17 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

If it was close to a tossup, I wonder if the fact that Forsberg is on a 1-way contract and Ned a 2-way factored into the decision to keep Forsberg instead of Ned?

I would imagine the only factor that would have mattered is who gives the team a better chance. If the answer was "toss a coin" because they are going to be backing up the rented mule AKA Petr, Ned probably went down to keep him playing.

28 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

I would imagine the only factor that would have mattered is who gives the team a better chance. If the answer was "toss a coin" because they are going to be backing up the rented mule AKA Petr, Ned probably went down to keep him playing.

Unless Reimer comes back soon, the backup will see action either every Saturday or Sunday from here on out 

22 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Unless Reimer comes back soon, the backup will see action either every Saturday or Sunday from here on out 

If Chex don't have away game on Friday Canes can easily call up Ned

1 hour ago, DevildogKodi said:

Just out of curiosity, do you have an opinion as to which of Ned or Forsberg gives the team a better chance right now?  Both looked really solid in their last game.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

Just out of curiosity, do you have an opinion as to which of Ned or Forsberg gives the team a better chance right now?  Both looked really solid in their last game.

Agree, but I wonder if the committee is looking to give Anton more shots at starting in order to dangle him as trade bait this summer.  We know what we have in Ned...since we drafted and developed him 

1 hour ago, DevildogKodi said:

I think the factor is Mrazek and Ned play similar games and you dont want two similarly styled goalies (according to Forslund).  Had Reimer came back first, we may have kept Ned.  

Forsberg looks better imo and his contract probably finishes it off. Easy to swap em out if he stinks on his back to back game.

I know surfzone absolutely hates the guy though, but compared to Ned I think he's better. So Forsberg will probably get yanked Sunday just to make me a liar.

19 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

I never really thought about it that way but yeah, TD seems to be more into making trades than drafting and developing. That became much more clear after this trade deadline. 

About the D specifically, Francis's M.O. was drafting and developing from the defense out, and now we have TD/Waddell deciding what to do with the fruits of that strategy. It was Francis who picked Bean, Fleury, and Hanifin in the top 10. So far we have traded Hanifin and gotten Dougie (this was a gamble on Dougie trending back up after some underperforming seasons and it worked bigtime). Fleury is looking like he's surviving if not thriving as a bottom pairing guy. And then there's Bean who is going to hit the point Gauthier hit, where his stock is high from AHL play so we need to decide if he'll become a starter for the Canes or get traded.