The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

13 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Isn't Ho-Sang a former #1 draft pick that can't make it? We don't need someone else's version of Zach Boychuck.

Hey  !   You leave Zach  Boychuck alone ! He Follows me on twitter  !  And probably  everyone on these forums including you  too !  😜🤣  

Edited by Canesfanforever
  • Like 1

Ho Sang? Meh. There is an upside if we can stick him in Charlotte, but not give up even a B + prospect for him. Maybe a 4th rounder and a B- prospect or something. 

The upside is the skill. I've been hearing about this guy non stop on XM for years. "It's only a matter of time. There's just too much skill." Somebody will take a chance at that much skill".  He is a eye popping slick dangler, pass first playmaker type. And in his 53 NHL games he has 24 points, which projects to 37 points. While this is not good enough to overcome the downside, it is also only his first 53 games. 

The downside? Well the NYI need skill. They are super structured, but outside of Matt Barzal they really need forward skill. And yet this guy, who reportedly oozes it, cannot make the NYI. He was in the 2014 draft (#28 overall, a point where teams take a chance on skill with downside, and I remember he was considered a bit of an ego-head case even before the draft), that means this guy was drafted 2 years before Julien Gauthier was drafted. He saw NHL ice 4 seasons ago with 24 games. Yet he still can't crack a lineup that specifically needs his skillset.

He was infamously late for his first day of Islander's training camp and demoted back to Junior hockey. He admits he's very emotional. I don't know if he's a locker room issue, but that whole side of things has been an issue for him. He boldly chose to wear #66, Mario Lemieux's number, which has not sat well with Lou Lamoriello who asked him to change it to 26. He said it was in homage to Lemieux, but it supports the idea that his ego is not small. 

There is a lot of smoke around him being a bit of a head case. If that is true, we have way too much depth to even mess with him. The only thing is that he's only been with one organization, and Lou Lamoriello does not mess around. It seems that supremely talented guys tend to get at least one shot with a different organization. It has worked, though it usually fails. The guy is the problem after all. 

Generally, I'd stay clear. But if the price is low, and our scouts think that he's matured and some of it is just a bad fit with the NYI, and we can put him in Charlotte? Maybe? But I'd still guess we are too deep to mess with all of the potential baggage. 

The coolest trivia on Ho Sang? He was trade in Junior hockey for a guy called Hayden McCool. See what I did there? And I'm not making that up.

I want to post one more post on Necas after his first game. I mentioned in the GDT, but I counted at least 5 high danger chances he created in addition to his goal. Also, the potential for (along with Gardiner) super charging our PP, will, IMO keep him on this team.

But think about this. This was a guy slated for the 4th line last night. This is a guy many thought would go back to Charlotte to make way for Goat (and Goat was good, don't get me wrong). But what he showed in game one is the elite potential I've been droning on about. My point is that if we get as much offense out of this guy as it looks like we might? Holy offensive depth chart Batman! Just another plus. Potentially a huge one. 

How deep? Not counting what Goat might do, or a Foegele that puts his skill game together with his simple game, and getting really rose colored for projecting Staal and Necas, this team has 8 forwards who can project to, or have already logged 50 point seasons. (Nine if J Williams returns). And of course Aho and TT are already 80 point guys. This is seriously insane. I'd venture to guess that no team has actually been even close to that in a long time, but it's hard to find those stats without manually going through every single team, and yeah someone else can do that if they want. But trust me, that is depth that is pretty special.

Haula, Dzingel, Turbo, Nino, Aho, and Staal have all done it. (Though Staal has come up just short in Carolina, but is 45 points rock solid). Svech is going to. And IMO Necas has it in him possibly this year, but if not, I'd up my projections for him to at least 40. 

In past years I've manually looked at every team's forward depth and going that deep on 40 point forwards is rare (let alone 50 point forwards). Tampa Bay had 3 forwards finish over 50 points last year.

If Necas can play decently on D, and hit his potential, I really think we will have 7 forwards near or well above 50 points. 

BTW, on his D, Necas was #4 on the Checkers in plus-minus at plus 20. Gauthier was -7. He is not physical, but he does back check. He is not offense only. Brind'Amour will get him better on that.

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Hey  !   You leave Zach  Boychuck alone ! He Follows me on twitter  !  And probably  everyone on these forums including you  too !  😜🤣  

Nothing against Zach, I'm sure he's a good guy, but he was drafted with high expectations, and it never worked out for him. And, I don't do twitter.

11 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Nothing against Zach, I'm sure he's a good guy, but he was drafted with high expectations, and it never worked out for him. And, I don't do twitter.

If you do ever make a twitter account and well .  Zach is like   Related image  he Will find you and he will FOLLOW YOU ! 

On 10/3/2019 at 2:44 PM, Canesfanforever said:

Aye .   He  is s good skater and  has a decent right hand shot , My only issue with him is his  physical play  .  

Small sample size, but i was impressed with him in a couple games i've seen over the past couple years.  I wouldn't give up what we'd probably have to give up to get him, but if he could be had for say a 3rd- or 4th-rounder, i'd give him a shot.

4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

He used to follow me back when i tweeted a lot about hockey, but once i got to where i only tweeted about music, he dropped me.  Of course now i haven't tweeted in years.

9 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

He used to follow me back when i tweeted a lot about hockey, but once i got to where i only tweeted about music, he dropped me.  Of course now i haven't tweeted in years.

He’ll follow you on any/all social media. Really needs to hang up the skates and take a media gig TBH.

On 10/2/2019 at 5:12 PM, playruffcaniac said:

You must of missed the Boston series. 2nd most physical team in the NHL last season.  St. Louis was third. You got to play the physical game to compete in this league.  The canes couldn't keep up with Boston playing physical.  I want to see the canes do good this season and go back to the playoffs but they need a good physical forward to take Ferland's place.

Yeah, ol' Two-Hit Ferland. (If there's ever a Micheal Ferland action figure, the box will read: "He gets hit... he retaliates... and injures himself!") I was a big fan early and wanted him re-upped at his price--until I watched him over a full season. But I'm with you on physicality. I watched the Flyers win back to back cups as a kid. Fast is good, but fast and physical has it all over that, as the Flyer's first Cup win, over a Bruins team whose physicality was about equivalent to the current version, showed. 

I said it when he got sent down and I'll keep saying it until he's back: At their respective stages of development, Gauthier's a far better fit than Necas with this team's style, which in the end is Brind'Amour hockey. Gaut is also built to handle the 82-game sked.

I'd really like the Game Summary to name the "Media" choosing the three stars. Back in the day (said the old man) teams would do that, naming the writer and his (or her, though that was still a long way off back then) outlet. It kept writers and broadcasters honest; you'd often see an opposing player named even if their team lost. Can anyone on this board remember the last time that happened in a Canes' home win?

I get that some owners actually believe their own PR operations are the media. Don't know if TD is one of them (but I'd like to think he's too savvy for that). Regardless, Necas had a nice game in the opener, but there's no way that's a first-star performance--outside of the org wanting to either showcase him or give him a taste before he goes back down--in any other game. (Or, it was Tripp Tracey doin' the choosing.) 

I mean, every other game of the year it's going to be Haula (tied it) Hamilton (scored the winner, [even if it was in a freakin' reality show]), and Mrazek, who secured the win (in said reality show), 3, 2, 1. (Maybe Pet-r and Hams trade spots, it's six of one.)

There is no doubt: Marty's lightning fast, his tip was beautiful, and he played hard. But his head is still down way too much, especially for a guy with his speed. (In the equation S (speed) + Sh (shoulder) = CS (concussion severity) S is the variable that tells the tale, and head down with speed through the neutral zone in this league, for a guy his size, is an invitation to disaster.) He also either didn't sell the cross-check below their goal line early, or he still goes down way too easy along the boards. The first won't hurt you; the second most definitely will. For his own safety he needs another 10 pounds and a better understanding of the importance of leverage to a guy his size.

Both Aho and TT are hard on the puck despite their size because they understand that keeping/trying to get possession is more about leverage than strength, especially when you're doing it at speed (as they and all elite players constantly are). But you still need forwards who will take up for the skill guys and contribute offensively. It's a pretty sad comment that the second-best hit of your entire home opener was your keeper's straight-arm of an opposing player to defend himself. (Svech's early shoulder along the boards was good.)

Whoa, just looked back on the length. Sorry. Been away a couple of days.

Edited by top-shelf-1
punctuation

Anyways, other impressions of the opener, now that I'm back home:

The D held a sheriff's sale on real estate in our own slot and Les Habs got three twine-tingling bargains because of it. Talk about lack of physicality, you can't let players in this league waltz in your turf like that and not expect to pay for it.

Same goes for weak clears from your own zone, we had a bevy of 'em and one finally cost us. 

Mrazek absolutely had a legit gripe on the non-call (although again, with a defender in position, it probably doesn't happen). He was attacking the puck, and while he relinquished his crease, that same stick play perpetrated on any skater is interference, and it should have been that time, too.

We were three posts away from embarrassing Les Habs badly--almost as badly as the guy with Price sweater who chose to sit in the "Canes shoot twice" end, apparently so he could see up close what 10 million plus a year (never) buys. We win that game going away but for three posts. Dzingle had Price beat bad but used the wedge when a nine iron was the club.

Aho missed an elevated shot pretty badly (took the 64-degree wedge) but otherwise looks primed. No rust, just no polish yet, either. No apparent issues lingering from last season. Tonight should get him the rest of the way to ready and will be a good test.

I've said this before, but TT is probably the smoothest skater this league has seen since Rick MacLeish.

Svech is Ready.

The ice was bad; does anybody know if we finally replaced the ice plant, or are we still holding it together with scotch tape and scotch whiskey?

The BBQ sandwich was like twice the size of last year's. Maybe it was just opening-night generosity, but Mrs. Shelf and I were glad we didn't get the chips with it; Not needed.

Great fan experience overall. The new scoreboard is freakin' awesome. The light show with the wristbands was kinda cool, but pretty much ended with a whimper when the game show for the Flyers trip started to look like "The Mystery Al Capone's Vaults." Too many moving parts (and electronic keypads), but the concept was ambitious if nothing else, and it's always good to stretch yourself so you'll know where the boundaries lie.

ON TO THE DISTRICT!

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Mrazek absolutely had a legit gripe on the non-call (although again, with a defender in position, it probably doesn't happen). He was attacking the puck, and while he relinquished his crease, that same stick play perpetrated on any skater is interference, and it should have been that time, too.

I've said this before, but TT is probably the smoothest skater this league has seen since Rick MacLeish.

The BBQ sandwich was like twice the size of last year's. Maybe it was just opening-night generosity, but Mrs. Shelf and I were glad we didn't get the chips with it; Not needed.

I Dont know. I think the refs got the call correct on Petr. It was actually Hamiltons stick that got Petr in the mask.BBQ sandwich was huuuuge. Just my opinion and 2 cents but I though TT had the best overall game of everyone. Steady all game and actually raised his shot attempts which is good to see.

Edited by slapshot02
  • Like 1

It was definitely Hamilton's stick. But while there was no penalty, that stick not only impeded Mrazek's movement, but literally pushed him away from where the shot went. In my mind, despite being hung out to dry, Mrazek makes that save if Hamilton hadn't pushed him out of position. I take this as a long term positive because it would take one goal off the board for Mrazek, making his outing pretty dang good in terms of save %.

• Like 2

End of the day you can't let a skater cross your goalie but if Petr notices he's leaving his crease sooner he was actually in perfect position to make the save. One extra frantic push and a savable situation goes in the goal. He's actually not even in the crease when Dougie's stick touches him.

Other thing I learned was that play was ridiculously fast because trying to freeze frame the action on Youtube to see what happens and when was a pain in the *edit*.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

It was definitely Hamilton's stick. But while there was no penalty, that stick not only impeded Mrazek's movement, but literally pushed him away from where the shot went. In my mind, despite being hung out to dry, Mrazek makes that save if Hamilton hadn't pushed him out of position. I take this as a long term positive because it would take one goal off the board for Mrazek, making his outing pretty dang good in terms of save %.

agreed, and Mraz was challenging and quiet and in position all night long. His poke check late in the second was also a thing of beauty, and helped the Canes get to the room down only one, which they absolutely had to do.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

In that case you are absolutely right. I totally missed that.

I had to go back and re-watch it too...

Pete’s poke checks are heart attacks waiting to happen for the fan base, but man are the awesome as long as they keep working! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I had to go back and re-watch it too...

Pete’s poke checks are heart attacks waiting to happen for the fan base, but man are the awesome as long as they keep working! 

Agreed.  I remember that amazing poke check he did against Mattheson vs Florida in OT last year that led to Aho's GWG assisted by Nino.  I love Mrazek's emotion after a big win or a big stop like in the SO last game.  It makes this team so FUN to watch.  His saves are stellar too.  If he and Riemer can play well all year this team will be fun to watch all year.  I get pumped when I see great saves.

36 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

Agreed.  I remember that amazing poke check he did against Mattheson vs Florida in OT last year that led to Aho's GWG assisted by Nino.

I was there for that one...almost had a coronary 

Don't know if this has been mentioned.  There is a wall of huge screens showing the television broadcast in front of press row.  It's a great plus if you sit high in that upper bowl on the sides.  Behind all the NC State banners. Don't know if it's on the other side too.

IMG_1813.thumb.JPG.bd49f23fd449ce419bc21b66c1e2347e.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

Don't know if this has been mentioned.  There is a wall of huge screens showing the television broadcast in front of press row.  It's a great plus if you sit high in that upper bowl on the sides.  Behind all the NC State banners. Don't know if it's on the other side too.

IMG_1813.thumb.JPG.bd49f23fd449ce419bc21b66c1e2347e.JPG

It's just near the press boxes. I mentioned when we moved up from the club a couple years ago.  You get the wonderful whole ice view, and the big screens on broadcast delay for instant "replay".

30 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

It's just near the press boxes. I mentioned when we moved up from the club a couple years ago.  You get the wonderful whole ice view, and the big screens on broadcast delay for instant "replay".

It’s that old? I guess I need to get out more often

9 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

It’s that old? I guess I need to get out more often

It's really quite hidden. You won't really notice it unless you are row E or above in th few sections below the press. Probably even better if you snag the radio feed now. 

I always liked Faulk but him being traded seems to have paved the way for Dougie to shine on the power play.  Haula is making a big impact on it as well.