Jump to content
The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Recommended Posts

21 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Never engage a Great Dane in the open field.

That would be one of the topics to talk about in " In Season" thread after NHL news. BD58, have you know that before? :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

That would be one of the topics to talk about in " In Season" thread after NHL news. BD58, have you know that before? :) 

 

Yeah....  I am ******.  I wonder if this is a situation come May it is like ok boys playoff time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

 

Yeah....  I am ******.  I wonder if this is a situation come May it is like ok boys playoff time.

Good news is according to ESPN they wouldn't go straight in points they would do points percentage and either way we are in

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finish the season using EA Sports NHL 2020.  Each game must feature one player per period for both teams and use all the rostered players at time of season suspension before going back to a player who has already 'played' a period.  Coaches would also rotate in for OT and Shootouts. Televise the EA games so everyone knows who's behind the controls...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spyglass88 said:

Capfriendly reporting that Geekie and Forsberg sent back to Charlotte.

Keep that cap number down. Surprised they didn’t send necas down too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although what I'm about to write could go appropriately in the COVID-19 thread, I thought it needed to go here as it's about the apparent proposal the players have floated concerning the playoffs and awarding of The Stanley Cup. What I just viewed on TSN broadcast, was some of the players have gotten together and come up with the idea of a 16 team format, starting in July and August, with completion and awarding of Stanley in September. My single question from this proposal would be, HOW good would the ice conditions be, as particularly August here, as we all know, is excruciatingly HOT. Surely this is no different that any other Northern Hemisphere location, but if ice conditions which get wonky into spring and early summer are pervasive, does that increase injury risk? Thus, in my mind, when does risk exceed tradition needs? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Although what I'm about to write could go appropriately in the COVID-19 thread, I thought it needed to go here as it's about the apparent proposal the players have floated concerning the playoffs and awarding of The Stanley Cup. What I just viewed on TSN broadcast, was some of the players have gotten together and come up with the idea of a 16 team format, starting in July and August, with completion and awarding of Stanley in September. My single question from this proposal would be, HOW good would the ice conditions be, as particularly August here, as we all know, is excruciatingly HOT. Surely this is no different that any other Northern Hemisphere location, but if ice conditions which get wonky into spring and early summer are pervasive, does that increase injury risk? Thus, in my mind, when does risk exceed tradition needs? 

They would need to delay the start of next season too. No way a team could go deep into Sept playoffs the turn around start the regular season and expect to compete again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

They would need to delay the start of next season too. No way a team could go deep into Sept playoffs the turn around start the regular season and expect to compete again

 

That's the rumor.   Shortened season, similar to a lockout season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any news on Forslund? For those who follow social media, are all our players safely back home, or did some choose to stay around Raleigh? The way this coronavirus spread thru Europe, I might, if I were a player from there, decide it's safer to stay put than travel, with its own set of risks, and then be trapped in a more disease saturated, it would seem, land?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone been able to get the announced fox sports replay of the Toronto game for tonight? Despite location services being on, app tells me it can not determine that I am in the US and won’t play it.

Edited by caneswincup

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know when we'll play hockey again, but after watching the replay last night, I know this: This team is able to totally shut down any offense in the league. Which makes the nights that it is not willing to do so all the more frustrating.

 

Maybe if we just trot every keeper out there in a Ayres sweater...?

 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This simply may be a season that gets written off as incomplete and with luck next season’s puck drop begins on time. Way too many factors at play to think this season can be salvaged. Experts say the US is nowhere near close to peaking. IMO the league is ignoring reality as are many fans. Don’t ruin next season by trying to salvage this one; plus a bonus to stick it to the B’s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

This simply may be a season that gets written off as incomplete and with luck next season’s puck drop begins on time. Way too many factors at play to think this season can be salvaged. Experts say the US is nowhere near close to peaking. IMO the league is ignoring reality as are many fans. Don’t ruin next season by trying to salvage this one; plus a bonus to stick it to the B’s. 

Sadly, I think we are headed that way too.  However, it makes sense that NHL have contingencies to start up over the summer, as we've seen, just in case they can do something like play to an empty arena.

 

Fall likely won't be a picnic either.  Good chance next season, or at least a huge part of it, is in jeopardy too.

 

BTW, if they do attempt to extend the 19-20 season past July 1, 2020, won't it require extraordinary agreement among players and management to deal with the "year end" contract expirations?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 12:44 PM, KJUNKANE said:

Any news on Forslund? For those who follow social media, are all our players safely back home, or did some choose to stay around Raleigh? The way this coronavirus spread thru Europe, I might, if I were a player from there, decide it's safer to stay put than travel, with its own set of risks, and then be trapped in a more disease saturated, it would seem, land?

 

Out of self quarantiine.

https://www.wralsportsfan.com/john-forslund-no-longer-under-coronavirus-self-quarantine/19010442/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NHL has an update.  Answers one of my questions.  As for the rest, confirms to me that NHL management is, uh, optimistic.

https://media.nhl.com/public/news/13915?sf119618002=1

 

Quote

On March 15, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended against gatherings with 50 people-or-more for a period of eight weeks. How does that impact the NHL’s timeline on determining when the season can resume?

We will continue to monitor developments during the 60-day window prescribed by the CDC. Assuming events are tracking positively, we would hope to be able to begin providing high-level guidance on the potential of opening a Club training camp period roughly 45 days into the period covered by the CDC’s recommendation.

That's April 30, if you do the math, that they'll talk about it.  May 15 to resume meetings, practice, etc.  My gut feel is this is very optimistic.  Imagine a player or two in the NYC area having to isolate.  How will that work? 

 

Quote

How will the League handle Player contracts that expire July 1 in the event the season’s end is delayed?

Any decision we make on the schedule and critical dates calendar during the off-season ultimately will be done in conjunction with the NHLPA and, in that context, the parties will discuss how best to accommodate the resumption of play determinations that are ultimately made.

Answers my question.  Yep, they'll have to work with the NHLPA on going past July 1.

 

There are other gems in there too, the most surprising being they think 20-21 will start on time even if the playoffs go into August.  Read at your own leisure.

 

Edited by wxray1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Cotton signed an ELC, 2 year one!

 

His older brother, who was a senior at Sacred Heart, signed a one year ELC as well.

 

Im a little surprised David came on board but we did clean out Charlotte this trade deadline.

 

Cottons signed

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

David Cotton signed an ELC!

 

His older brother, who was a senior at Sacred Heart, signed a one year ELC as well.

 

Im a little surprised David came on board but we did clean out Charlotte this trade deadline.

 

Cottons signed

Love this move. I don't keep up with college hockey like I'm sure several on here do, but at least it shows that the Canes can have a presence and not lose out to some of these mega teams?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point about how we've cleaned house in Charlotte, go canes. I have been worried that he might look at our prospect depth at forward and go UFA to try to find a weaker prospect pooled team. But good to have them. While his brother Jason is a Hobey Baker finalist and near the top of the NCAA in goals, he's also 25, which greatly lowers his NHL shot, but both are big guys with good hands, so it's definitely good to get a look at them. David at 22 was #12 in the NCAA in points per game, would seem to have the more likely path.

 

Most of our top prospects are in Juniors or Europe, but 3 of the NCAA guys did well. The Cottons were #12 (David) and #24 (Jason) in ppg, and Jason was tied for #4 in goals.

 

Our top college prospect though is still Jack Drury who at 1.39 ppg was #4 in the NCCA as a sophomore center. And he was actually #2 in the nation in goals per game played with 20 goals. Also reportedly plays a two way game. Hoping we can sign him this offseason. If not, he'll be a rising Senior at Harvard and may well decide to go UFA also. This is a legit NHL prospect that we can't let walk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We subtracted Eetu, Gauthier, and Kuokkanen from the organization and potentially adding Geekie to the NHL roster.

 

We will probably add a few to Charlotte:

Cotton, Cotton, Bokk?, Mattheos will be healthy, Henman?, and Drury?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...