The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Really hope we can get Drury in. Bokk IMO needs to get over here. Puistola and Honka being Finns could come over. Love to see Suzuki and Rees, but they're locked in to staying in Canada unless they make the big club, which is a long shot. 

I see Geekie with a strong shot at the Canes roster next season, so a reload in Charlotte with as many of the next wave of prospects as possible would be good.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Really hope we can get Drury in. Bokk IMO needs to get over here. Puistola and Honka being Finns could come over. Love to see Suzuki and Rees, but they're locked in to staying in Canada unless they make the big club, which is a long shot. 

I see Geekie with a strong shot at the Canes roster next season, so a reload in Charlotte with as many of the next wave of prospects as possible would be good.

i dont know that Honka will come over but Sellgren probably will.  

I presume that Jason Cotton was undrafted.  I wonder if signing him was a sweetener to help encourage David to forego free agent status and sign with the Canes?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Speaking of Geekie, his stats aren't listed on the website for this year's team. 

I think that's because they formally reassigned him to Charlotte after the season was put on hold. Same with Forsberg.

Edited by LakeLivin

On 3/23/2020 at 7:44 AM, wxray1 said:

Sadly, I think we are headed that way too.  However, it makes sense that NHL have contingencies to start up over the summer, as we've seen, just in case they can do something like play to an empty arena.

Consistent with at best a heavily modified schedule/playoffs to salvage this season, if there will be any season at all...allow each team to play 4 more regular season games so there can be no be-atching about being screwed out of a WC playoff position for those teams like us who are just in and several others who are just out. Then, make first two rounds best of 3, semi final best of 5 and final best of 7. Last game played should be June 30 to accommodate free agency/NHLPA isssues. Make it a sprint. Play to empty rinks if need be but with heavy TV coverage. I remember the 1982 NFL strike shortened season where teams played 9 games. Redskins won rings. Their kicker Mark Mosely won the NFL league MVP award as well.  

17 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I think that's because they formally reassigned him to Charlotte after the season was put on hold. Same with Forsberg.

Usually guy's stats stay there even when they go down. The roster page loses them, but the stats stay on there unless they get traded. No huge deal, but would be nice for him. 

1 hour ago, remkin said:

Usually guy's stats stay there even when they go down. The roster page loses them, but the stats stay on there unless they get traded. No huge deal, but would be nice for him. 

That certainly makes more sense.  I'd even like to see stats for players traded while they were still with the Canes. 

Yes.  I actually watched the last half of the third period and found myself being quite into it.  I need real hockey back.

• Like 1

OK, I admit it, I have no idea about NHL 20. But I do wonder how on Earth we win a simulated game in that situation? Are they using stats from the actual game, or season long stats? How good did they make Ayers? Just seems like such a long shot. 

I didn't see the virtual game but I did read about it.  They had the Canes winning 7-5 (Nooky with the empty netter). 

Must have been a very fast paced game as Ayres made 73 saves (.936) and  Frederik Andersen made 117 (.951).   

Edited by LakeLivin

Just out of curiosity I googled Ayers stats and clicked on ESPN's site (.800 save % fyi).  But what was really interesting is that on that page they have a link to a story on Bauer switching over to make medical gear.  And the picture they used to link the story featured a Canes goalie.  Mrazek?  Reimer?  Ayers?  No, no, and no.  It was the Canes old away jersey, so perhaps  McEllhinney?  Maybe they went all the way back to Cam Ward?  Wrong again.  I didn't recognize him so had to look him up.  

Alves.thumb.JPG.67c37fa7fdd9b69a401764b3fd70f69c.JPG  

How the heck did they end up using Jorge Alves, who has a grand total of 7.6 seconds of NHL ice time, as the poster boy for a current story on Bauer making medical gear, lol? 

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Just out of curiosity I googled Ayers stats and clicked on ESPN's site (.800 save % fyi).  But what was really interesting is that on that page they have a link to a story on Bauer switching over to make medical gear.  And the picture they used to link the story featured a Canes goalie.  Mrazek?  Reimer?  Ayers?  No, no, and no.  It was the Canes old away jersey, so perhaps  McEllhinney?  Maybe they went all the way back to Cam Ward?  Wrong again.  I didn't recognize him so had to look him up.  

Alves.thumb.JPG.67c37fa7fdd9b69a401764b3fd70f69c.JPG  

How the heck did they end up using Jorge Alves as the poster boy for a current story on Bauer making medical gear, lol? 

Because Jorge is the last goalie to use a Bauer stick?

I doubt that's true, but man, Warrior has made a name.

Brings back memories of my childhood.  We all wanted CCM gear.  It was the "real stuff."  I was so dang excited to get that wood and plastic street stick.  I can still remember softening the plastic over the stove to get it some curve.  I ended up wearing it down an inch with all the play on the streets of Chicago.

Ah, memories.  Seems like that's all we have these days.  Or simulations.  What?  Simulations?

BTW: I think it is great what Bauer is doing.  Those are some mean looking face shields.  Makes a lot of sense for them to do that too.

Edited by wxray1

On 3/28/2020 at 8:02 AM, wxray1 said:

Brings back memories of my childhood.  We all wanted CCM gear.  It was the "real stuff."  I was so dang excited to get that wood and plastic street stick.  I can still remember softening the plastic over the stove to get it some curve.  I ended up wearing it down an inch with all the play on the streets of Chicago.

Our street hockey sticks and goalie gear were made by a company called Mylec (which still exists, by the way). On the ice, CCM gear was okay, but I never understood everybody's love of Tacks skates. Way too much toe space for me; I've been a Bauer guy forever.

Cooper (which does not exist anymore, bought by Bauer) was my preference for gloves--until I got a pair of JOFAs in high school. Pretty sure I had to launder my shorts after slipping my digits into those the first time, and apparently somebody else at the rink really liked 'em too: They got lifted.

3 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Our street hockey sticks and goalie gear were made by a company called Mylec (which still exists, by the way). On the ice, CCM gear was okay,

We were just a bunch of city kids getting surviving with the cheapest junk we could get.  Having anything with a brand name was The Bomb.  Our gloves were, uh, made by Grandma?  Not sure, nobody had hockey gloves.

Speaking of Bauer.  Watched last night's game.   Mac was using a Bauer stick.  Have no idea why they dug up Jorge.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

We were just a bunch of city kids getting surviving with the cheapest junk we could get.  Having anything with a brand name was The Bomb.  Our gloves were, uh, made by Grandma?  Not sure, nobody had hockey gloves.

Speaking of Bauer.  Watched last night's game.   Mac was using a Bauer stick.  Have no idea why they dug up Jorge.

There's probably not too many on ice photos with Bauer displayed as prominently as it is in that picture.  On the other hand, Jorge played for a grand total of 7.6 seconds.  It borders on amazing that someone even had a chance to snap a picture of him in goal, lol.

So I have a question.  Been wondering about this for years.  Did Scott Steven's end the career of Shane Willis?  Always been in the back of my mind.  Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

So I have a question.  Been wondering about this for years.  Did Scott Steven's end the career of Shane Willis?  Always been in the back of my mind.  Thoughts?

I would guess that he sure helped ending his career earlier than Shane Willis wanted it to.  Scott Stevens in my book was one of the dirtiest players around.   When he went to the Hall of Fame at the same time that Ron Francis did I just wanted to throw up.  It was because of A holes like him that so many players suffered from concussions.   I remember him saying that all he did was to "finish his checks".    No Stevens you were a head hunter and often times hit players in the head from behind and the from the side.  You my friend were a dirty player....period.   

19 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

Scott Stevens in my book was one of the dirtiest players around. 

Absolutely.  Tom Wilson is an angel compared to Stevens...and Matt Cooke

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 2:23 PM, LakeLivin said:

There's probably not too many on ice photos with Bauer displayed as prominently as it is in that picture.  On the other hand, Jorge played for a grand total of 7.6 seconds.  It borders on amazing that someone even had a chance to snap a picture of him in goal, lol.

My money's on somebody Jorge knows knows somebody :)