The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

On 3/29/2020 at 9:46 PM, coastal_caniac said:

Stopped by to say hey to everybody and I hope you and yours are coping as best as possible. 

Back atcha coastal. Hope all's well with you and yours.

On 3/29/2020 at 9:24 PM, snuffy72 said:

No Stevens you were a head hunter and often times hit players in the head from behind and the from the side.  You my friend were a dirty player....period. 

Nope, sorry, you can't just remove historical context from your assessment of a player. Shane is now 42, Stevens is 55. That hit happened 20 years ago. Willis was 22, Stevens was 35, and was from an era where it was drilled into players' heads from a very early age that guys coming through the neutral zone with their heads down paid a price. And Stevens was one of the best ever at sending them the invoice.

That hit on Willis was a totally clean hit in those days. The illegal check to head rule wouldn't be in the books for 10 more years, and the NHL's change to the standard of enforcement, which was instituted to reward speed and agility over brute force, was still five years off. (More here.)

I get that the victim was a Cane. It makes no difference. He was also in a Stanley Cup playoff game, he was born and raised in Canada, he knew what was at stake, and he knew who was on the ice.

Stevens is roundly and rightly believed to be one of the best that ever played the game. If you want to talk dirty dmen, you're totally barking up the wrong tree, so I'll throw you a bone: Nobody has been or likely ever will be as dirty as Chris Pronger.    

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Nope, sorry, you can't just remove historical context from your assessment of a player. Shane is now 42, Stevens is 55. That hit happened 20 years ago. Willis was 22, Stevens was 35, and was from an era where it was drilled into players' heads from a very early age that guys coming through the neutral zone with their heads down paid a price. And Stevens was one of the best ever at sending them the invoice.

That hit on Willis was a totally clean hit in those days. The illegal check to head rule wouldn't be in the books for 10 more years, and the NHL's change to the standard of enforcement, which was instituted to reward speed and agility over brute force, was still five years off. (More here.)

I get that the victim was a Cane. It makes no difference. He was also in a Stanley Cup playoff game, he was born and raised in Canada, he knew what was at stake, and he knew who was on the ice.

Stevens is roundly and rightly believed to be one of the best that ever played the game. If you want to talk dirty dmen, you're totally barking up the wrong tree, so I'll throw you a bone: Nobody has been or likely ever will be as dirty as Chris Pronger.    

Thank you so much for correcting my opinion about Stevens being a dirty player. 

8 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I hold the same opinion.  I watched in horror one series as Steven's took out 2 Canes during a series.  One of which was Francis.  I was there and will never forget the ref laying on Francis telling him to stay down.  With that being said, Stevens was an elite dman and a reason if not the reason the Devils were a poert house in the late 90s early 2000s.

Would take Stevens and Pronger in a minute as players in their prime. Nobody but nobody would be taking liberties against this teams youngsters, providing them with supreme confidence to score and dominate knowing a couple of men got their backs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

I think the Canes would be wise to sign her; goalie equipment none withstanding. Recommend you scroll down the article.  

http://traderumours.com/index.php?blog=14417

You trying to give me a heart attack for goodness sakes?  I would volunteer to be her personal equipment manager.  Of course I would have to clear it with the wife first. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

You trying to give me a heart attack for goodness sakes?  I would volunteer to be her personal equipment manager.  Of course I would have to clear it with the wife first. 

I don't know your wife but I suspect there's a better chance that pending UFA Robin Lehner signs with the Canes for a team friendly long term $3m contract than your wife approving your proposed new job.  :grin:

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 5:27 PM, snuffy72 said:

You're welcome! (But please, try to save us both some time from here on out and get it right the first time.)

Hello out there in Self Quarantineville,

I saw this ditty on NHL Rumors today about Compliance Buyout Candidates for misc teams:

Carolina Hurricanes: Jake Gardiner

For whatever reason, the Gardiner signing simply has not worked out as the Hurricanes had hoped. Gardiner, who was signed late last summer at a relative discount, has been a fine addition, but hasn’t been the point producer and power play ace that Carolina had hoped for. Following the deadline addition of Brady Skjei to arguably the deepest blue line in the NHL already, Gardiner and his remaining three years and $12.15MM are expendable.

02 SCF game 5 is on right now on NHL-N...yah it sucks we lost, but did any of y’all REALLY think we’d win that series given how stacked the Wings were that year?  Hell, there’s at least 8-10 of them in the HOF

Edited by AWACSooner

The Athletic (pay site) ranked local broadcast teams. Here's the top and bottom 4: 
The 2020 NHL broadcast rankings: The best and worst markets...

31. Boston Bruins
The broadcast: New England Sports Network (NESN) carries Bruins games, with Jack Edwards on play-by-play and Andy Brickley doing colour.

30. Pittsburgh Penguins
The broadcast: AT&T SportsNet Pittsburgh carries Penguins games, with Steve Mears on play-by-play and Bob Errey doing colour.

29. Minnesota Wild
The broadcast: Fox Sports North (FSN) carries Wild games, with Anthony LaPanta on play-by-play. Colour duties are split between multiple commentators: Mike Greenlay, Lou Nanne, Wes Walz and Ryan Carter.

28. Colorado Avalanche
The broadcast: Altitude Sports carries Avalanche games, with Marc Moser on play-by-play and Peter McNab doing colour.

4. St. Louis Blues
The broadcast: Fox Sports Midwest carries Blues games, with John Kelly on play-by-play and Darren Pang doing colour.

3. Vegas Golden Knights
The broadcast: AT&T SportsNet Rocky Mountain carries Golden Knights games, with Dave Goucher on play-by-play and Shane Hnidy doing colour.

2. Dallas Stars
The broadcast: Fox Sports Southwest carries Stars games, with Josh Bogorad on play-by-play and Daryl Reaugh doing colour.

1. Carolina Hurricanes
The broadcast: Fox Sports Carolinas carries Hurricanes games, with John Forslund on play-by-play and Tripp Tracy doing colour.

• Like 5

1. Carolina Hurricanes
The broadcast: Fox Sports Carolinas carries Hurricanes games, with John Forslund on play-by-play and Tripp Tracy doing colour.

Very Nice.   John Forslund is a class act.  I have talked to him a couple of times and he is the real deal.   His hockey knowledge is amazing and regardless of what  some may think of Tripp.....together they work.   Unfortunately I don't see how Forslund will not end up going to work for a a major network. 

Thanks for that Lake. Maybe someone who knows TD might want to forward it to him so he can try to lock down Forslund. If you pay for the site the analysis is pretty deep on all markets. We know that we love our guys as we were #1 on local love for John and Tripp, but we were also #1 in out of market praise. This quote confirms what we already know:

Forslund, in particular, earned praise from around the NHL for his call of the play. Many argued he was the best active commentator in hockey and his name was used as a byword for quality.

Nice stuff on Tripp too though.

I'd add to Snuffy as well. John and Tripp have both been very friendly, modest and engaging on the occasions that I've gotten to speak with them. 

• Like 1

Buccigross recently got pissy that the Bruins broadcast gets such a bad rap, called it one of the top 5 in the league. He cited lots of things such as quickness to a replay and quickness to get replay angles as his reasons. They might actually have a great telecast but frankly you'd never know with Edwards calling it. Can you really tell if a broadcast is good if someones dragging fingernails across a chalkboard?

Some of me also thinks you'd have to be a play by play guy to notice those sorts of things. I'm not exactly whipping out a stop watch on how fast a replay shows up on my screen.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

2. Dallas Stars
The broadcast: Fox Sports Southwest carries Stars games, with Josh Bogorad on play-by-play and Daryl Reaugh doing colour.

1. Carolina Hurricanes

I’ve told y’all for years that John and Daryl should be paired up for playoff games...they are the best in the business...and best friends too 

1 hour ago, snuffy72 said:

1. Carolina Hurricanes

Very Nice.   John Forslund is a class act.  I have talked to him a couple of times and he is the real deal.   His hockey knowledge is amazing and regardless of what  some may think of Tripp.....together they work.   Unfortunately I don't see how Forslund will not end up going to work for a a major network. 

I'm thinking there's an outside chance he stays, no idea how good of a chance, though.  Forslund is 58yo and still has a 16yo daughter. A national gig would double the extensive travel he already does,  I wonder if his age and family might keep him around for a couple more years, at least until his daughter leaves the nest? 

• Like 1

On 3/31/2020 at 5:27 PM, snuffy72 said:

Stevens was still dirty.  He knew he would hurt people and did it anyway.  There is no excuse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

I’ve told y’all for years that John and Daryl should be paired up for playoff games...they are the best in the business...and best friends too 

I know there was at least one game in recent memory where they did.  Not sure it was a playoff game.

All I remember was that it was outstanding.

3 hours ago, cc said:

Stevens was still dirty.  He knew he would hurt people and did it anyway.  There is no excuse.

Clean =/= legal.  Stevens usually kept things legal, but he was a very dirty player.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I'm thinking there's an outside chance he stays, no idea how good of a chance, though.  Forslund is 58yo and still has a 16yo daughter. A national gig would double the extensive travel he already does,  I wonder if his age and family might keep him around for a couple more years, at least until his daughter leaves the nest? 

Emrick did both Devs and national games for a long time.

I think the majority of these guys literally live for the job, especially play-by-play guys. The best make it look easy. It isn't. They are like virtuoso singers or musicians, and also like them, doing it seems to preserve their youth. Only in their minds of course, but attitude is a big contributor to longevity.