The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

On 4/1/2020 at 6:07 PM, top-shelf-1 said:

You're welcome! (But please, try to save us both some time from here on out and get it right the first time.)

Are you always this sweet @(^_^)@ ?

18 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

Are you always this sweet @(^_^)@ ?

No, I was trying to out-sweet your prior post. Didn't work though.

Hey, if it weren't for divergent opinions there wouldn't be much cause for these forums. I just feel like raleighcaniac I guess (although we disagree about Pronger, who served eight suspensions, while Stevens had nary a one), in that he is exactly the kind of guy opposing fans hate but would love to have one of, because he never went outside the rules (of his day) and was absolutely dominant at his position. Which, last time I checked, was the definition of a top player.

More food for thought here.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Well the axe fell on the arena staff today.  I don't know how some will make during this time. Knowing some of them really hits home, and I hope they find work soon.

17 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

No, I was trying to out-sweet your prior post. Didn't work though.

Hey, if it weren't for divergent opinions there wouldn't be much cause for these forums. I just feel like raleighcaniac I guess (although we disagree about Pronger, who served  eight suspensions

Lol. 8? Must have forgot about 5 of them. He even checked The Biebs into the boards in a charity game  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Lol. 8? Must have forgot about 5 of them. He even checked The Biebs into the boards in a charity game  

You call that a check?  That was a tap.

On 4/2/2020 at 12:19 PM, snuffy72 said:

1. Carolina Hurricanes
The broadcast: Fox Sports Carolinas carries Hurricanes games, with John Forslund on play-by-play and Tripp Tracy doing colour.

Very Nice.   John Forslund is a class act.  I have talked to him a couple of times and he is the real deal.   His hockey knowledge is amazing and regardless of what  some may think of Tripp.....together they work.   Unfortunately I don't see how Forslund will not end up going to work for a a major network. 

Dundon should try to lock John up for more than a year. Before gravitating to hockey, I listened for many years to radio broadcasts of ACC sports. As a Duke fan, I thought Bob Harris was great, and as an ABC’er, I still enjoyed listening to Woody Durham. Both were homers, but they were paid to be. And for those of us who can remember when the vast majority of ACC games were not televised, they both did an outstanding job of painting a visual image of a game using only words. Now that he does a lot of national games, the thing about Forslund that stands out to me is his ability to call a game tailored to the home audience for the Canes (That’s hockey baby), then seamlessly call a game straight up neutral when he does national games. JF is one thing the big market teams have not been able to take from the Canes (I’m sure he’s had lots of offers). Even if we lose him for a third of our games, Dundon would be wise to lock him up to call as many games as possible. At 58, he could call games for a long time. I hope it’s here.

Tripp gets a lot of criticism from some, and he does wander off the reservation sometimes, but for a hockey simpleton like me, I’ve always thought he did a good job of breaking down plays. He sometimes goes overboard with one theme, and John does a good job of reigning him back in, but as a team I think they really work. Besides, if JF wanted a different analyst, I’m pretty sure that would have happened a long time ago.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Dude he was soooooo freakin' dirty.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Hi, folks...

Hope everyone is doing well.

Still going to work every day here in northeastern OK. Apparently auto insurance companies are "essential business" in this state. Most of our employees are working from home, though. Since I live alone, just me and the cat to give each other viruses (and other stuff).

Now I'm thinking about toxoplasmosis.... 😱

Just checking in, of course. I must be missing hockey pretty severely - I actually had a dream a couple nights ago about the Hurricanes.

Jon

• Like 2

Hi Jon,

Ironically, just heard that cats can get it, as some lions and tigers tested positive at a zoo in NY.  According to a Chinese study dogs can't get. So there's that. 

Stay safe. One day there will be hockey to discuss.

24 minutes ago, remkin said:

Hi Jon,

Ironically, just heard that cats can get it, as some lions and tigers tested positive at a zoo in NY.  According to a Chinese study dogs can't get. So there's that. 

Semantics rem, can they technically contract the disease, or just be uninfected passive transporters? My question relates to whether or not the virus can be detected in them or do they actually develop the full blown disease?

As an aside, the worst insult of this pandemic was when DG was replaced by Adam Gold. I just cannot listen to 99.9 when he's on:crybaby:

3 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Semantics rem, can they technically contract the disease, or just be uninfected passive transporters? My question relates to whether or not the virus can be detected in them or do they actually develop the full blown disease?

No idea. I can't read Chinese! Just what the article claimed some Chinese study supposedly claimed. 

So I had a second and thought I'd look at some metrics of how good this team actually was up to the point that things shut down. And the answer is pretty darned good. Our excellence was a bit obscured by games in hand and being in the dominant East and Metro. 

If you say that you are what your record says you are, then we were the 9th best team in the NHL with the #9 best points percentage. And that's what I say.

Next best IMO is goal differential. On that? We're #6.

Goals for/Game: #9

Goals against/Game: #21

PK #2

PP #6 (net)

Faceoffs: #9

team save %: #`16

23 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

Hi, folks...

Hope everyone is doing well.

Still going to work every day here in northeastern OK. Apparently auto insurance companies are "essential business" in this state. Most of our employees are working from home, though. Since I live alone, just me and the cat to give each other viruses (and other stuff).

Now I'm thinking about toxoplasmosis.... 😱

Just checking in, of course. I must be missing hockey pretty severely - I actually had a dream a couple nights ago about the Hurricanes.

Jon

Hey Jon...go figure, most of Tinker is essential too, who knew?  ;)

Btw, probably not going to any pre-season games in Tulsa this year...gotta move to Shreveport in August.

40 minutes ago, remkin said:

So I had a second and thought I'd look at some metrics of how good this team actually was up to the point that things shut down. And the answer is pretty darned good. Our excellence was a bit obscured by games in hand and being in the dominant East and Metro. 

If you say that you are what your record says you are, then we were the 9th best team in the NHL with the #9 best points percentage. And that's what I say.

Next best IMO is goal differential. On that? We're #6.

Goals for/Game: #9

Goals against/Game: #21

PK #2

PP #6 (net)

Faceoffs: #9

team save %: #`16

Couple thoughts: 

• when it comes to goals, before seasons start, who'd a thunk our offense would rank 12 spots better than our defense?  Of course, it's hard to know exactly what that means with ordinal rankings.
  • what does "net" PP mean?  I'm thinking special teams differential? (PP goals - PK goals)?  Because I can't believe our PP alone ranks that high, regardless of how you measure it.
  • we might be #9 in points % won, but we also have to be near the top when it comes to inconsistency, lol,  Don't know how you'd measure it, but that's what was so frustrating about this edition of the Canes.  
  • save % right in the middle, which is what most thought we needed to be competitive.
  • that goal differential is a nice, shiny stat. 
Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Couple thoughts: 

• when it comes to goals, before seasons start, who'd a thunk our offense would rank 12 spots better than our defense?  Of course, it's hard to know exactly what that means with ordinal rankings.
  • what does "net" PP mean?  I'm thinking special teams differential? (PP goals - PK goals)?  Because I can't believe our PP alone ranks that high, regardless of how you measure it.
  • we might be #9 in points % won, but we also have to be near the top when it comes to inconsistency, lol,  Don't know how you'd measure it, but that's what was so frustrating about this edition of the Canes.  
  • save % right in the middle, which is what most thought we needed to be competitive.
  • that goal differential is a nice, shiny stat. 

Net PP and PK includes the effect of short handed goals for and against. Regular PP was #8, still very good for us historically, and PK was #4. Pretty close to the same but we were good at shorties and not allowing them.

Save percentage was better than I expected it would be, but still average. Probably the best metric is goals allowed above expected, but not sure where to find that. It accounts for the quality of chances faced.

Still, given how young this team's core is, things look pretty good.

I was going through prospects  for upcoming years in future drafts and   i  saw  a few players  that could be  either the next   franchise players teams could build around to  potential  generational talents   in the year of 2022 and 2023 . 

I wonder which teams  currently have their sights set on  potential to tank those years  just to make claim for  the prospects  i saw .   i will  show you all what players im talking about . 

Ivan Miroshnichenko  - 2022

Matvey Michkov  - 2023

Connor Bedard   -2023 

Shane Wright     -  2022

Isaac Howard  -  2022

Matthew Savoie    - 2022 

https://sports.yahoo.com/unique-nhl-playoff-format-looking-120007829.html

I have not looked anything hockey related for like 3 weeks but I'm ready to get back in. Interesting article that mentions the possibility of a 31 team playoff, and using neutral sites for some games. Whether they do the 31 team thing, or just end the regular season and send the current top 16 in, there will be an asterisk next to this season regardless. The Canes would roll in with the best D in the league, with Dougie (All Star) and Slavin (All Star) plus four top pairing guys. Could we pay them all though? 

On 4/7/2020 at 5:10 PM, AWACSooner said:

Hey Jon...go figure, most of Tinker is essential too, who knew?  ;)

Btw, probably not going to any pre-season games in Tulsa this year...gotta move to Shreveport in August.

Huh, imagine, that. The military, essential. ;-)

I hope things go well in Shreveport. I wouldn't love the heat+humidity, but that's me. I did live in Eastern NC for a while (civilian employee at MCAS Cherry Point), so I understand what the combination's like.

Will you be able to get your live-hockey fix there?

On 4/7/2020 at 12:01 PM, remkin said:

Hi Jon,

Rem,

Then it's a good thing my cat is afraid of the outdoors and doesn't go out to the cat nightclubs and mingle with those feline rogues who aren't taking precautions. 😆

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JonKerfoot said:

Huh, imagine, that. The military, essential. 😉

I hope things go well in Shreveport. I wouldn't love the heat+humidity, but that's me. I did live in Eastern NC for a while (civilian employee at MCAS Cherry Point), so I understand what the combination's like.

Will you be able to get your live-hockey fix there?

Well, they have the junior league Shreveport Mudbugs...but yah, Dallas is still 3 hours away, so no difference (other than the trip down I-35 became the trip across I-20).