The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Apparently Dougie would have been ready for regular playoffs if this whole thing hadn't happened. 

So presumably we keep our draft pick from the Vatanen deal since he didn't play at least 5 games. So in terms of that deal we get squadoosh, but we really only lose Kuokkanen in terms of future NHL. I have to think with Dougie back we don't use Vatenen even if we end up with more games, but then, who knows? This is the best I could find on the deal:

New Jersey receives a 2020 4th round pick if Vatanen plays in 5 regular-season games this season. The pick upgrades to a 2020 3rd round pick if Vatanen plays in 12 regular-season games this season, or if Carolina makes the playoffs and he plays in 70% of their playoff games.

But I read that if he plays in zero regular season games it's no pick. This could be significant if there is a small regular season and then playoffs. I'm thinking we still don't have the actual language of the deal. What if he plays in zero regular season games but 75% of playoff games? 

I know, I know, third and fourth rounders rarely make much of the NHL. But two guys we drafted in those rounds did: Pesce and Slavin. So no sense just giving them away. 

Anyways, with Dougie back, doesn't seem to be much need to put Vatenen into enough games to lose picks. Also, having a guy come in de novo and bump other guys off the ice messes badly with team chemistry. Just ask Pittsburgh. 

A bit of minutia hockey talk in these trying times...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

I don’t see much deep dive info these days. Are the players all still local or have some gone home to wait out where the season goes?

Your answer is in the latest press release:

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-weighing-options-staying-busy-during-pause/c-316573384

Strength and conditioning coach Bill Burniston, who Brind'Amour called "the best strength coach in the world," has been heavily involved in developing individualized fitness plans for the players. Some remained in Raleigh. Others are abroad. Some have access to weights and other equipment. Others are more limited in what's available to them.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

Cap staying at 81.5 million or close to it for a couple of seasons possible according to LeBrun.

another blue check source said the cap was staying at 81.5 million for next season. Lebrun squashed that as sure thing because of the discussions of the above.

It looks like the season may be done; on thin ice at best. If that’s the case how many Vets like J. Willy and others league wide just call it a career like a number of Vets (Ronnie F) did in the 04/05 lockout?  

22 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

That game will air tomorrow, Monday April 20, followed by Game 2 on Tuesday, Game 4 on Wednesday and that great Game 7 on Thursday.

Strange it is the CBC rebroadcast of the game and not OLN/NBC’s.  Such a huge difference in watching hockey in SD vs. HD, my poor eyes...!

Getting nervous.  Haven't been able to socialize this 50 pounder.  He lives with a Great Dane though so at least he has that.  I hope all of you are safe and sound. 

20200420_213451.jpg

20200420_212902.jpg

20200416_131713.jpg

• Like 1

I enjoyed game one of the 06 series last night. One of advantage of getting older is memory isn't as sharp as it once was. Most rewinds are almost a new experiance

• Like 1

On 4/20/2020 at 7:13 PM, Red_Storm said:

Strange it is the CBC rebroadcast of the game and not OLN/NBC’s.  Such a huge difference in watching hockey in SD vs. HD, my poor eyes...!

Watched the replay of Games 1 and 2 of the 2006 Finals.

What really stood out to me, was how Fast that team was! And they had some Thump!

I had forgotten how fun that team was to watch, I think that team was faster than what we have today.

And certainly a lot heavier and more physicality and hitting.  Sure do miss Ward, Walin, Commodore, Wesley, and Heidcan.

And the Power Play was lights out good!

And did I mention how Fast rhey were?

Thought for the most part this year's team and last year's were pretty darn good and fast. But they look like an AHL team compared to the 2006 team.

The 2006 Canes would sweep the 2019-2020 Cane's team in a playoff Final.

2 hours ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Watched the replay of Games 1 and 2 of the 2006 Finals.

What really stood out to me, was how Fast that team was! And they had some Thump!

I had forgotten how fun that team was to watch, I think that team was faster than what we have today.

And certainly a lot heavier and more physicality and hitting.  Sure do miss Ward, Walin, Commodore, Wesley, and Heidcan.

And the Power Play was lights out good!

And did I mention how Fast rhey were?

Thought for the most part this year's team and last year's were pretty darn good and fast. But they look like an AHL team compared to the 2006 team.

That same team, though, in Game 6 got whipped 4 to nothing and it could have easily been 7-0 or worse.  They were an embarrassment and wouldn’t have beaten the 2019-2020 Canes or anyone else in the league that night.  Hockey is such a funny, fickle game!  (At least we don’t have to actually watch that Game 6 again!)

2 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

That same team, though, in Game 6 got whipped 4 to nothing and it could have easily been 7-0 or worse.  They were an embarrassment and wouldn’t have beaten the 2019-2020 Canes or anyone else in the league that night.  Hockey is such a funny, fickle game!  (At least we don’t have to actually watch that Game 6 again!)

They did it on purpose so they could win at home.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Give this team some time though. That team was full of fully developed veterans plus Staal and Ward. This team's best days are yet to come as most of the core stars haven't peaked yet, and that's not counting the Geekie, Suzuki, Bean, etc.'s. That cup team was much more loaded than a lot of people outside of our fanbase realize though. I've been making that case for years.

Pretty awesome article from Sara C who interviewed Hedican, A Ward, and Burnside about our cup run.

The best is Ray Whitney calling Hedican before he signed.  Hedican telling him we were a couple of guys from winning the cup. Ray questioning him in not so nice words. Hedican believed though.

The LaRose digital camera story.

One of them saying that PK was not happy about the giant group photo with the cup.  Seems like a very PK thing.

Watching this game 7 brings back a lot memories.   On a side note I thought I would share something positive with all of you.  I currently have a daughter and today we found out we are having a boy.  Exciting times and I will get to see what it is like to have a son and a daughter. 

• Like 6

I was listening to NHL XM briefly yesterday and they were talking about playing games regionally.  They mentioned 4 regions and Raleigh was one place. Not sure if we've been marked as a possible site or not, but they said Raleigh.

36 minutes ago, remkin said:

I was listening to NHL XM briefly yesterday and they were talking about playing games regionally.  They mentioned 4 regions and Raleigh was one place. Not sure if we've been marked as a possible site or not, but they said Raleigh.

I believe Raleigh was recently eliminated because of our bad practice facility 

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

I believe Raleigh was recently eliminated because of our bad practice facility 

Ah.

NBC sports has power ranked teams by long term outlook: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nhl-power-rankings-teams-best-160015908.html.

Canes are #8. 

I think there is a lot of recency bias there though. They front load team like Pittsburgh, Boston, St. Louis, Washington. It's just so hard to see that teams will fade as their superstars finally age out (ask Detroit). I can see all 4 of those teams fading in a few years as we rise. I think they are more of a now and near future group.  I agree that Colorado has straddled here and future very well, and Tampa just seems to keep reloading, but I'd move us to #3 if we are talking a few years out and on.