The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Pittsburgh and Capitals should start to fade in the next 3 years.

Boston may fade if Rask falls off / goes elsewhere in UFA

St Louis, Us, Colorado, Philly, Rangers (seeing their goalies are working out) are built for the long term.

http://gocheckers.com/articles/features/statement-on-status-of-nhl-affiliation?fbclid=IwAR0VvVjU5VARvOT4khwZ9spUNHhOy8QvcYsNRsftb7i-puiUSrdBpiNSssk

I had seen this rumor 1-2 months ago and thought it was ridiculous so never shared. Well the rumors true, Canes are partnering with Chicago next year and cold shouldered Charlotte in the process?

I don't know how much say the Canes have in Charlotte, but watching them constantly bring in hired guns and taking time from our kids has been ******* me off. Wonder if it was ******* off the committee as well?

3 hours ago, legend-1 said:

http://gocheckers.com/articles/features/statement-on-status-of-nhl-affiliation?fbclid=IwAR0VvVjU5VARvOT4khwZ9spUNHhOy8QvcYsNRsftb7i-puiUSrdBpiNSssk

I had seen this rumor 1-2 months ago and thought it was ridiculous so never shared. Well the rumors true, Canes are partnering with Chicago next year and cold shouldered Charlotte in the process?

I don't know how much say the Canes have in Charlotte, but watching them constantly bring in hired guns and taking time from our kids has been ******* me off. Wonder if it was ******* off the committee as well?

Wow. Never saw that coming: the Canes are "...nearing an affiliation agreement with the AHL’s Chicago Wolves"? Glad we got the Calder already. I won't be going to Charlotte games anymore though. 

Really wonder what happened? Financial stuff, not getting our guys enough playing time? 

Just a wild guess is that we wanted something, the Checkers ownership balked, and we went looking elsewhere. Could still be a big bluff, but "nearing an argeement" seems ominous. 

Some folks speculate it's DWs Thrasher days connection to them?

Others say Charlotte was ****** we made so many moves in short times over the year constantly forcing them to do PTOs. If that's the case, get the hell over it. 

Edited by legend-1

5 hours ago, remkin said:

And now in the N and O:

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article242352706.html

All I could find in that article was a vague reference to a breakdown in the relationship, and that the Wolves would pay more.

Do we then inherit the Wolves players and whatever NHL team ends up with the Checkers gets those players?  Or do we keep players that we drafted? 

18 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

Do we then inherit the Wolves players and whatever NHL team ends up with the Checkers gets those players?  Or do we keep players that we drafted? 

We keep our drafted players, Checkers keep their fill ins.

• Like 1

I've read some more "Dundon is a jerk" pieces about this, but we don't know what caused the split.  It could be as simple as money, but it could be a difference of opinions on player development in the AHL.  Maybe the Canes are looking for certain things and the Checkers were hesitant to do that.

I've got to believe it will also suck for the AHLers who end up going back and forth between the two teams.  Must be a lot more convenient to hop in the car for a 2.5 hour drive than have to fly.  I wonder if any Checkers used the train? Might take a little longer, but they could just study game tape (or play fortnite) the whole time.

• Like 1

I left the board (took a break) after it turned into political sniping and juvenile insults.   I wasn't going to come back until an announcement was made.  Then Mrs. wxray tells me about this (see still reads the N&O) and I took a peek here to see if it was safe.  Maybe not safe, but at least some of the name calling has stopped. 

So, this is really interesting news.  It kind of follows with Dundon's style, doesn't it?  Remember when he came on.  Actions were swift, direct and harsh.  (Ron Francis, Chuck Kaiton, and my favorite topic, Larry the organist.)  The fact that this situation is resolving harshly should not surprise us.

A thought about travel.  In an optimal world, it isn't too bad between O'Hare and RDU.  The problem is we know air travel is not optimal these days.  Especially O'Hare in the winter.  The good news is that the Allstate Arena is literally next to the airport.  A player could live in that neighborhood and be 10 or 15 minutes from the airport or arena no problem.  In a large metro area like Chicago, that matters.  Believe me.  If the arena were, say, in Naperville, that would be a real hassle.  Travel is certainly better than upstate NY or MA.

All in all, nothing surprises me with Dundon.  He will continue to shake things.

Oh, and maybe in the future when the world returns to normal, this will be a great reason for me to go visit my family.  I went to a Wolves game a few years ago on a visit.  It was fun.  Very different.  Not sure I am into indoor fireworks hanging off the jumbotron (with associated debris raining on the ice), but hey, it is the AHL.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Not sure I am into indoor fireworks hanging off the jumbotron (with associated debris raining on the ice), but hey, it is the AHL.

Better than the magnesium sparklers the entire arena lights off before every game in the DEL.

I haven't been to a Hurricanes game in probably a decade but i've been making it to a handful of Chex games each year since they moved back to Bojangles. Of course i watch every Canes game on television as long as i'm home.  This won't make a huge difference to anything there - i'll still watch the Canes on FSC and will still attend a handful of Chex games no matter who their parent is.  It's definitely a strike against the whole 'Carolina's team' thing when the largest city in either Carolina is the top affiliate for someone else, but life goes on.  There is a fair-sized contingent of Chex fans who weren't fans of the Canes to start with and are already jumping up on Facebook saying they're happy with the news (and of course i've already seen a couple FB comments saying this is proof Dundon's going to move the team 'back to Hartford' [LOL] and others that he's going to move the team to Charlotte [double LOL]).  I do think both teams will lose many (but not all) of the 'traveling' fans who drive from Charlotte to Raleigh or Raleigh to Charlotte to see the other team play.  The Checkers will suffer more from this, but it is what it is.  Honestly wouldn't surprise me if Charlotte ends up back in the ECHL.  Maybe not immediately, but before the decade's through.

• Like 1

We wanted to go to more Chex games, but it was a difficult haul for us.  Getting home that late was just a killer.  Greensboro is doable, CLT was just a bridge too far for us.

I read several of the articles online, the N&O was the best one for details. My take from the overall reading between the lines is that the Canes and Checkers have been having a rocky relationship lately, atleast that is how I interpret not getting your agreement in place until halfway through training camp last year. With Vegas buying an AHL franchise to move and dropping Chicago, it forced Chicago to go looking. Given the Wolves previous history with DW and the appearance of a troubled relationship between the Carolina club's, the Wolves decided to approach the Canes with an offer that sounds better than our current one.

The Checkers can counter with a better offer, stand fast hoping that the proximity between the clubs is worth more, approach the Panthers looking for a deal, or plan to go it as an independent. From the statement made by the Checkers I am guessing they are relying on the proximity or reaching out to the Panthers.

4 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I've got to believe it will also suck for the AHLers who end up going back and forth between the two teams.  Must be a lot more convenient to hop in the car for a 2.5 hour drive than have to fly.  I wonder if any Checkers used the train? Might take a little longer, but they could just study game tape (or play fortnite) the whole time.

The way the roster is trending, it will take an injury for AHLers to make the roster.  

TBH most young guys would probably prefer Chicago versus Charlotte.

30 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

The way the roster is trending, it will take an injury for AHLers to make the roster.  

Wouldn't that contribute more to "back and forth" than "earned" call ups?  But I hear you on desirability; I'm guessing young players might weight social life more than weather. 

4 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

I read several of the articles online, the N&O was the best one for details. My take from the overall reading between the lines is that the Canes and Checkers have been having a rocky relationship lately, atleast that is how I interpret not getting your agreement in place until halfway through training camp last year. With Vegas buying an AHL franchise to move and dropping Chicago, it forced Chicago to go looking. Given the Wolves previous history with DW and the appearance of a troubled relationship between the Carolina club's, the Wolves decided to approach the Canes with an offer that sounds better than our current one.

The Checkers can counter with a better offer, stand fast hoping that the proximity between the clubs is worth more, approach the Panthers looking for a deal, or plan to go it as an independent. From the statement made by the Checkers I am guessing they are relying on the proximity or reaching out to the Panthers.

I did a little poking around on the Internet on my lunch hour.

It appears that more than half (about 18 or so) of the current AHL teams are owned by the NHL club with which they're affiliated (Vegas with the ex_San Antonio Rampage, the Iowa Wild owned by the MN Wild, etc.). That makes me think that TomD approached Michael Kahn, owner of the Chex and, supposedly, the owner of a small percentage of the Hurricanes, about buying the Chex from him and he said "naw, I don't wanna do that." TommyD then said something like "okay, we'lll look elsewhere for our AHL affiliate."

This is just me blue-skying, of course. It would be rather funny, in an ironic sort of way, if the Hurricanes bought the Wolves and moved them to Charlotte, causing the Chex to move closer to the Panthers in order to make a better affiliation pairing.

Odd, though, that the Chicago Wolves aren't affiliated with the Blackhawks. The Blackhawks AHL affiliate is the Rockford Ice Hogs, I believe. Rockford's not that far from Chicago in the big scheme of things, but to be able to call up a player by sayign "grab a cab, we need you here tonight for the game" would be the ultimate.

On 4/30/2020 at 7:02 PM, JonKerfoot said:

I did a little poking around on the Internet on my lunch hour.

It appears that more than half (about 18 or so) of the current AHL teams are owned by the NHL club with which they're affiliated (Vegas with the ex_San Antonio Rampage, the Iowa Wild owned by the MN Wild, etc.). That makes me think that TomD approached Michael Kahn, owner of the Chex and, supposedly, the owner of a small percentage of the Hurricanes, about buying the Chex from him and he said "naw, I don't wanna do that." TommyD then said something like "okay, we'lll look elsewhere for our AHL affiliate."

This is just me blue-skying, of course. It would be rather funny, in an ironic sort of way, if the Hurricanes bought the Wolves and moved them to Charlotte, causing the Chex to move closer to the Panthers in order to make a better affiliation pairing.

Odd, though, that the Chicago Wolves aren't affiliated with the Blackhawks. The Blackhawks AHL affiliate is the Rockford Ice Hogs, I believe. Rockford's not that far from Chicago in the big scheme of things, but to be able to call up a player by sayign "grab a cab, we need you here tonight for the game" would be the ultimate.

Outside of Toronto where people have to wait 90+ years to get around to getting Season Tickets, having your affiliate in the same town doesn’t make a lot sense.

Edited by gocanes0506

On 4/30/2020 at 10:47 AM, LakeLivin said:

Me and Mrs. Storm have taken the train to Charlotte a couple times over the years for Checkers games and to do other city stuff while there, pretty convenient way to get there for those in Raleigh that haven’t done it.  A break in the Canes affiliation is unfortunate.  I guess, from the reports, Chicago was a better financial deal and perhaps the Chex played a game of chicken that the ‘One Carolina’ marketing would win out.  Still it is too bad, I liked having the in state affiliate, but can’t blame the Canes for going with a better deal.

The one good thing about this is that it's at least hockey related. 

On the one hand I'd miss going to Checkers games. On the other hand I only actually went to two.

On 4/30/2020 at 2:55 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Maybe for the social life, but on a typical AHL salary, the higher cost of living might not be a plus.

I went to one Checkers game - in the Calder Cup finals last year. I had thoughts of going back periodically, especially for playoffs, but have no interest if they aren’t a Hurricanes affiliate. I guess time will tell if having Hurricanes prospects drove the box office any in Charlotte. One downside if they affiliate with the Panthers is that according to the N&O, the Panthers affiliates have not had any recent AHL success. I think winning will drive ticket sales more than ties to the Canes. I don’t see this as really affecting the Canes, but it is kind of sad. I think it was already clear that in the Dundon era, sentimentality counts for squat. If they’ll abruptly cut ties with Francis and Kaiton, Charlotte’s brief tenure with the Canes means very little. I hope this decision was driven by which affiliate would better groom our prospects.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nhl-reportedly-making-aggressive-pitch-142317907.html

NHL is pushing for the draft to be in about a month, on June 5th or nearly a month earlier than usual.

If they just do it by points percentage, we'd pick #19 in round one, (moving up from our #23 due to the trade conditions on that pick). 

And we'd pick #13 (from NYR) and #23 in the second round.