The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Canes extend lease with PNC arena for 5 more years.

A. 5 more years in Raleigh.

B. What happens after that? Downtown arena?

3 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Canes extend lease with PNC arena for 5 more years.

A. 5 more years in Raleigh.

B. What happens after that? Downtown arena?

You got B wrong...we move to Quebec after that ;) 

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Well I wanted to say Houston for B but I figured I would stay positive 

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

46 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Well I wanted to say Houston for B but I figured I would stay positive 

To me, Quebec is funny.  But for some reason Houston isn't. 

On 5/9/2020 at 11:50 AM, Canesfanforever said:

Can we just say the trade for Sami Vatanen  was stupid as hell ? 

we traded for him?  who?  I don't even remember its been so long.  Oh yeah, that trade.  

On the plus side Waddell said that Hamilton and Vatanen would be available for the season and playoffs if they happen.

What I find interesting is that I think the deal for the draft pick hinges on him playing at least 5? regular season games. Right now they are kicking around playing about 5 regular season games before the 24 team playoff thing. Could be we hold him out of one of them and keep our draft pick and still get to use him in playoffs? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, remkin said:

On the plus side Waddell said that Hamilton and Vatanen would be available for the season and playoffs if they happen.

What I find interesting is that I think the deal for the draft pick hinges on him playing at least 5? regular season games. Right now they are kicking around playing about 5 regular season games before the 24 team playoff thing. Could be we hold him out of one of them and keep our draft pick and still get to use him in playoffs? 

I'd be gobsmacked (love an opportunity to use that word, lol) if they brought back the whole league to play a limited number of regular season games.  I'm thinking about the costs, logistics, and payoff (none that I can think of) for teams that have no chance at a playoff.  Everything considered, an expanded playoff of 20 or 22 teams makes so much more sense to me. 

It will be interesting to see how things like trade conditions and bonus incentives are handled, regardless of whether the season restarts or not.

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I'd be gobsmacked (love an opportunity to use that word, lol) if they brought back the whole league to play a limited number of regular season games.  I'm thinking about the costs, logistics, and payoff (none that I can think of) for teams that have no chance at a playoff.  Everything considered, an expanded playoff of 20 or 22 teams makes so much more sense to me. 

I haven't heard a plan to bring the whole league back. The idea of a few regular season games was brought up mainly because the bye teams realize the huge disadvantage they'd face playing teams that had already played real games. I think what they're kicking around is that only the 24 teams that are in would play a few games that would count in terms of the ordering of things for those 24 teams, and the final standings, (as points percent) to line up those 24 teams only.

I guess in theory Pittsburgh or Calgary could get into a bye, but the rest would just be shuffling the teams some. The main thing would be to get some real games in before playoffs so that the bye teams would only be at a slight disadvantage for having to sit.

But would they still be regular season games as far as our Vantanen deal? 

I just watched on FSS the  OT between Carolina and Boston game 7 2009 where Scott Walker scored with a little over a minute left.  It was his 1st playoff goal in his career.  If my memory serves me his wife had been battling cancer during this time.   As his teammates were congratulating him he was tearing up pretty hard.  My wife and I met him at the airport in Raleigh after that season ended.  He was having breakfast with his wife and he took the time to talk to us.   Later he saw my wife again in the waiting area and talked to her quite a bit about hockey and what a great team the Hurricanes had.   He was as down to earth as they get.   I sure do miss live hockey games but it is fun watching some of those great moments of the past.   Here's to hoping the NHL does not jump in too soon and put all these top athletes at risk just for the sake of a Cup.  I would rather we cancel the season and figure out how to start the 2020/2021 season.  Just my humble opinion !!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, remkin said:

I haven't heard a plan to bring the whole league back. The idea of a few regular season games was brought up mainly because the bye teams realize the huge disadvantage they'd face playing teams that had already played real games. I think what they're kicking around is that only the 24 teams that are in would play a few games that would count in terms of the ordering of things for those 24 teams, and the final standings, (as points percent) to line up those 24 teams only.

I guess in theory Pittsburgh or Calgary could get into a bye, but the rest would just be shuffling the teams some. The main thing would be to get some real games in before playoffs so that the bye teams would only be at a slight disadvantage for having to sit.

But would they still be regular season games as far as our Vantanen deal? 

If they draw up a schedule for more regular season games, I wonder how they'd do it to make it fair?  Instead of that I was thinking they could take the teams with byes and let them play "exhibition" games against each other while the "play-in" games were happening.  The teams could make the exhibition games as competitive as they felt would benefit themselves, and they'd start their actual playoff series fresh off playing instead of being idle for the week of the play-in games. 

Edited by LakeLivin

20 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Supposedly we will be playing NYR with the Capitals waiting on the winner, if we started today.

Whelp, it was fun while it lasted...

9 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

If they draw up a schedule for more regular season games, I wonder how they'd do it to make it fair?  Instead of that I was thinking they could take the teams with byes and let them play "exhibition" games against each other while the "play-in" games were happening.  The teams could make the exhibition games as competitive as they felt would benefit themselves, and they'd start their actual playoff series fresh off playing instead of being idle for the week of the play-in games. 

I might be in the minority on this but I really don't have much interest in them doing some weirdo summer league that is supposed to be the finish of the 2020 season.  The reasons are:  1.  Players will not be in great shape and there will be summer league injuries that will keep them out next season  2. Whoever wins it just won't feel quite as satisfying and real as grinding for 9 months for the Stanley cup, it will just feel like, eh they won that weird pandemic season where they played some odd format in the summer.  3. It will affect how and when they start the next season,  I would prefer to scrap it and start on time with a full season next year.  Let this be the year that it was cancelled and lets move on and open training camp in September.   

However, if they do go ahead with it I will be watching and screaming for the Canes, but it will have a very weird unreal feel to it.  I won't hate on it, but it just seems like it will be a cheap end to a season where someones awarded the Cup and it's not really a big deal. 

• Like 4

Right now the plan is straight into the playoffs.  Top 4 per conference get a bye.  They will play each other in a 3 meaningless games in a round robin to get games in and shake off the rust.  The remaining 8 would be in a bracket style best if 5 series.  5v12 (4 waiting), 6v11 (3 waiting), 7v10 (2 waiting) and 8v9 (1 waiting).  No regular season games.  

Edited by gocanes0506

Really hard to keep up with where the decision makers are at. Yesterday teams were talking like exhibition games wouldn't cut it in terms of bye teams having a disadvantage to teams coming off of a playoff series. I guess there is no perfect solution. Still better to have a bye than have to play in IMO. 

4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

When Canes fans on a forum  all come to an agreement   Excited Michael Scott GIF by efitz11 | Gfycat

image.jpeg.9fd722442b2a6dc80d384f333dc14250.jpeg

• Like 1

No one's going to remember this years cup team fondly, no one's going to say what a great team they were. Their going to laugh at the joke of the playoffs that led to that team winning and forever downplay that teams "achievement"

1 hour ago, legend-1 said:

No one's going to remember this years cup team fondly, no one's going to say what a great team they were. Their going to laugh at the joke of the playoffs that led to that team winning and forever downplay that teams "achievement"

Unless the Canes win.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, caniac6 said:

Unless the Canes win.

Digging  a best out of 5    against the rangers ,  to then face the lightning in a best of 7 ?  to then maybe take out  our arch rival  the capitals  in a best of 7  who wants revenge from last year , to then  face the winner  of the other bracket which  could just end up being boston again  in a best of 7  to then   make it to the finals  of who ever the hell it could be in a best of 7  ?    if that happened  and the canes won the cup ?   do the canes get a cookie  to go with that cup ?  for unbelievable  cup road of all time ?  yep  it's  a pipe dream if anything !  

Winning the Cup, is winning the Cup. No-one can take it away from whoever it will be. And those rings will be just as big and shiny when they hold it up as any another ring.  If this actually happens, we'll see who has the best coaching staffs and which players ate to many bon bons. Best goalie is still Carey Price. Whoever the hottest keeper turns out to be will win the Cup.  That script doesn't change.

3 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Winning the Cup, is winning the Cup. No-one can take it away from whoever it will be. And those rings will be just as big and shiny when they hold it up as any another ring.  If this actually happens, we'll see who has the best coaching staffs and which players ate to many bon bons. Best goalie is still Carey Price. Whoever the hottest keeper turns out to be will win the Cup.  That script doesn't change.

That much is true .    The majority of cup winners had a hot goalie going in . 

On 5/20/2020 at 10:47 PM, AWACSooner said:

Whelp, it was fun while it lasted...

Remember that one year the Canes snuck into the playoffs and came up against the defending champs who had swept the Canes during the regular season? Remind me how that turned out, I cant seem to remember.

1 hour ago, Canesfanforever said:

NHLPA   agrees to terms  and votes yes .   The playoffs are on ! 

While this might be so. It’s a looong way from this to actual play. Like October maybe.