The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

Wonder if Bettman will use blow up dolls to fill the stands like a South Korean soccer team did.

1 hour ago, cc said:

While this might be so. It’s a looong way from this to actual play. Like October maybe.

The idea is for players who are going to be in the shindig  is to quarantine for 14 days and then   a 2 week practice ,  and then every team  in the playoffs except the  bye week teams will be playing .  

Im  not sure which hub cities   are going to be hosting  but it's thought to be    a few .    i just hope it's within reason of time zones and not some bs  to have to stay up late to see the canes play .   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

NHLPA   agrees to terms  and votes yes .   The playoffs are on ! 

It's a big step but we might want to cool our jets just a tad.  Here is the full statement released Friday night:

"The Executive Board of the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA) has authorized further negotiations with the NHL on a 24-team return to play format to determine the winner of the 2020 Stanley Cup. Several details remain to be negotiated and an agreement on the format would still be subject to the parties reaching agreement on all issues relevant to resuming play."

Edited by LakeLivin

7 hours ago, legend-1 said:

Wonder if Bettman will use blow up dolls to fill the stands like a South Korean soccer team did.

If he did I’d imagine they’ll all be Ov fans. 

Agreement is on concept.  The devil is in the details.

For example, creating a 100% isolation bubble.  I can tell you if they think they can do that, it is nearly impossible.  Even if you sequester teams at hotels, the service staff can't be bubbled.

I finally ventured out this week to help in some hurricane relief.  It was my first real foray out there, for example, we've only done grocery pickup the last 2 months, never setting foot in a store.  I felt a need to take a chance and get out to help instead of constantly running scared and drawing pity to myself.  We ended up finishing a bedroom for a family in need (severely disabled father).  The bedroom was stripped and down to the studs since hurricane Florence, only usable as storage.  Imagine, 2 years, no bedroom for the kids.  We left it with solid walls and a new floor, ready to go for sleeping.  I've never seen kids so excited in my life!  They couldn't contain themselves as they finally had a bedroom again.  The risk to me was well worth it.

Anyway, my little venture out proved to me that true isolation is nearly impossible for the service industry.  You can't weld people's doors shut.  And it is difficult to continuously wear full PPE.  Even when you do (as we were doing - wearing masks), you make mistakes after working hard.  It all sounds good in theory, but is extremely difficult to do.  I have even greater respect for the health care workers front line.  Nothing like that bead of sweat on your brow driving you nuts.  Or that tickle on your nose under the mask.  Etc.

So, the NHL will likely have to rely on high rate testing, while still trying to keep the bubble up as much as possible.  I think some of the details to be worked out include how to test, what to do if it is positive, and just how to isolate all the parties involved as good as possible.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, legend-1 said:

If all of the coaches and players bring a couple with them, they can use the carpool lanes.

Canes and Bolts reported as the two teams voting against the 24 team playoff. No idea as to whether it was because of the number (21 teams have earned a chance to play off, imo) or something bigger. 

Edited by LakeLivin

I don't know why we voted against it either. We would have been far better off with a points percentage based top 16 playoffs. And possibly even gotten a bye in some other scenarios if there were fewer teams and points percentage weighed league wide. I also think we're not super thrilled at getting the Rangers. I thought one set up had us playing Florida. Interesting to see if we get an answer of sorts on that.

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I don't know why we voted against it either. We would have been far better off with a points percentage based top 16 playoffs. And possibly even gotten a bye in some other scenarios if there were fewer teams and points percentage weighed league wide. I also think we're not super thrilled at getting the Rangers. I thought one set up had us playing Florida. Interesting to see if we get an answer of sorts on that.

I'd be shocked if a 16 team playoff was ever a real consideration given that there were 4 or 5 Western teams within tenths of a percentage point for the last two spots.  But 24 is an arbitrary choice; it's not like it provides an even schedule like 16 or 32 would.  As long as you're using byes (or play-ins, call it what you will) I wonder if the Canes preferred a 20, 21, or 22 team playoff?  From a "fairness" perspective, any of those make a lot more sense than taking 24 teams.  

10 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I'd be shocked if a 16 team playoff was ever a real consideration given that there were 4 or 5 Western teams within tenths of a percentage point for the last two spots.  But 24 is an arbitrary choice; it's not like it provides an even schedule like 16 or 32 would.  As long as you're using byes (or play-ins, call it what you will) I wonder if the Canes preferred a 20, 21, or 22 team playoff?  From a "fairness" perspective, any of those make a lot more sense than taking 24 teams.  

They need the TV revenue from the CHI and MTL markets.  24 is no accident.

1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

Follow the money. These are dollar decisions, not competition decisions. 

This...totally this.

if it was truly about the players, then they would’ve called it and reset for October

6 hours ago, wxray1 said:

They need the TV revenue from the CHI and MTL markets.  24 is no accident.

5 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Follow the money. These are dollar decisions, not competition decisions. 

I know, and in spite of how much it offends my sense of "fairness", on an intellectual level I've come to accept 24 teams.  The NHL isn't a high school sport; at the end of the day it's about money.

Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

I don't know exactly how to feel about playoffs now.  Playoff hockey in an empty arena?  It's going to be weird.

Yes it is weird   but  once  you get pass the absence  of fans   then  it's  just  becomes  a normal run of the  mill  sport .    Since the lockdown    when AEW   had fans one  week to having none at all    i still ended up enjoying   what im watching .     I think  sports might go the same route   and  have everyone tested  including   workers    and such to make up for a small  percentage of fans to  watch  the games .  Not sure  if  that will  be of any help but  it at least feels  comforting to see people enjoying things .   

19 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

I'd have to run it down but the hockey guy on youtube mentioned that one of the formats gave us a bye. I have to think we were angling for that. I don't know how much we focus on matchups, but one format had us playing Florida, which IMO is a better matchup for us than the Rangers. 

Were they trying to get Montreal and Chicago in for more viewers? Had to be a consideration. 

One tweak I'd favor is that the play in game team with the higher seed get last change for the series. They won't do that, but will probably just give it to them one more time. There just seems that there ought to be some advantage for a team that just missed a bye playing a team (Montreal) that had essentially no chance to make the playoffs in the pre Covid world.

I too watched a tiny bit of Korean baseball last night. It was different but the same. Obviously everything going on in the field of play was the same. It was weird that they put cutouts of people in the stands behind the plate, but not the rest of the stadium. In a weird way it worked. It just looked, oddly, more right as you watched the pitch from behind the pitcher to the plate to see figures back there. Since I rarely pay much attention to whoever's back there, the cutouts were sort of like flimsy background in cartoons. Not great, but better than nothing. That said, I don't think this works for hockey. The bottom line though? Watching live sports without a crowd is much better than watching no sports or old games. 

It will be interesting to see what the NHL comes up with to make the experience unique. Trying to convince us there are fans there is not going to work. But embracing that this is a fully made for TV event could be interesting. I'm sure there will be some hits and some misses, but rolling out puck tracking, player tracking, more in game interviews, I really haven't thought about the specifics, but hopefully there are some interesting twists. 

Once we start up, interest will build. Suddenly there is real hockey and playoffs to boot. Just hope we don't get bounced in the play in.

Yeah, I'd wager that the revenue associated with bringing in the Chicago and Montreal markets was more of a consideration than anything that had to do with fairness or logistics. 

With respect to that one Korean soccer team that used blow up dolls; one thing that would seem weird to me would be seeing the "fans" with their mouths constantly in a position as if they had seen the most remarkable play in the history of sports. Those type plays only happen on very rare occasions!

22 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

I don't know exactly how to feel about playoffs now.  Playoff hockey in an empty arena?  It's going to be weird.

Here's what they're doing in Germany for the football matches. Sidelines are empty but the end zones of the stadium including the first sections on either side that are officially sideline seats are filled with 12,000 cardboard cutouts of fans and celebs at each end. This one German player for FC Bayern Munchin had a penalty kick and scored and they panned to his cutout in the 'crowd.' He had a smug look picture for the cutout. They are also piping in a low to medium volume of crowd noise and crank it when a goal is scored. Sounds corny but it works and it turned an empty stadium of lemons into a stadium of lemon aid of 'crowds cheering.' The league should have fun with this and put in cardboard cutouts of celebs etc along with the hockey fan cutouts. At the very least they better be piping in noise otherwise the mikes will be picking up a lot of interesting chirping...

Capture.JPG

8 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Here's what they're doing in Germany for the football matches. Sidelines are empty but the end zones of the stadium including the first sections on either side that are officially sideline seats are filled with 12,000 cardboard cutouts of fans and celebs at each end. This one German player for FC Bayern Munchin had a penalty kick and scored and they panned to his cutout in the 'crowd.' He had a smug look picture for the cutout. They are also piping in a low to medium volume of crowd noise and crank it when a goal is scored. Sounds corny but it works and it turned an empty stadium of lemons into a stadium of lemon aid of 'crowds cheering.' The league should have fun with this and put in cardboard cutouts of celebs etc along with the hockey fan cutouts. At the very least they better be piping in noise otherwise the mikes will be picking up a lot of interesting chirping...

Capture.JPG

This would be great if we were a host city.  Go through every old game to hear all the “huge caniacs” Tripp has proclaimed. Put cardboard cutouts of them in the stands wearing Canes gear. May not have enough room.  

Edited by gocanes0506

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

This would be great if we were a host city.  Go through every old game to hear all the “huge caniacs” Tripp has proclaimed. Put cardboard cutouts of them in the stands wearing Canes gear. May not have enough room.  

Did you know the mayor of Munich, Dieter Reiter, is a huuuuge caniac?

• Like 3

Holy crap there's a lot of detail they put out regarding this phase 2.  I mean a LOT of very specific detail.  Do you like to read?  Have at it.

https://nhl.bamcontent.com/images/assets/binary/317017544/binary-file/file.pdf

A few snippets below.  Sadly, they failed to make a statement about cardboard or blow-up fans in the stands:

In Phase 2, the first step in resumption of League activities will be to allow Clubs to reopen each of their training facilities in the Club’s home city, to permit gatherings of small groups of Players (i.e., maximum of six(6) Players at any one time, plus a limited number of Club staff), to engage in individualized training activities on a voluntary basis, as set forth in detail below.

Players who do not maintain permanent residences in the Club city (or near an alternate location referred to in Paragraph A),including AHL Players,shall be provided separate hotel accommodations for the duration of their participation in the Club’s Phase 2 activities(as well as any Phase 3 Training Camp activities), including family-appropriate accommodation if their families are accompanying the Player. Players without permanent residences in the Club city (or near a chosen alternate location) shall also be provided with, or reimbursed for the cost of, a rental car for the duration of Phase 2.The accommodations must be of the same high quality provided to Players during the Regular Season.

Laboratory-based RT-PCR testing shall be administered to all Players and Club personnel designated to have “Player Access” (see Paragraph I(2) below)forty-eight (48) hours prior to any person returning to Club training facilities in order to detect active or recent infection (with results to be available within twenty-four (24) hours). For individuals whose results are not received within twenty-four (24) hours, such persons shall not utilize Club training facilities until results are available and indicate a negative testing result.

TissuesAll Player benches shallhave two (2) boxes of tissues on each bench affixed at each end.

Antiseptic Wipes2 containers of antiseptic hand wipes (with alcohol) shall be placed on/or in proximity to;oEquipment tools and stick tools. oThe visiting room weight cart

Edited by wxray1