The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

2 hours ago, Canes06cup17 said:

I always liked Faulk but him being traded seems to have paved the way for Dougie to shine on the power play.  Haula is making a big impact on it as well.  

Yep, back when the Faulk debate was in vogue, I'd mentioned that to me the Faulk trade was "addition by subtraction" and that's what it's looking like from my Monday Morning Quarterback seat now. It seems to have taken the wraps off Dougie now and he blossoming. To those who saw it last night on TV, and those that didn't sure need to pull it up, the post game interview with him ringside seemed to show a great deal of emotion. We Caniacs have finally given him a home and an appreciation for his talents that I have to think he's never had in prior stops? That's just what Jerks do, right?

And Haula, what a find?

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 3

Mr. Offer Sheet needs to pick it up. 

Sorry. Woke up this morning and thought that bitter taste in my mouth was acid reflux, but then after looking at the Team Sats, I realized it was something else.

Edited by sleekfeeder

Seriously?  Love lost after 3 games?  Patience.  If he don't have a point after 10 games.  Rinse and Repeat.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, cc said:

Seriously?  Love lost after 3 games?  Patience.  If he don't have a point after 10 games.  Rinse and Repeat.

I know I know. I mainly say that tongue-in-cheek, and I know he'll find the score sheet. He is very noticiable out there. Just needs to find his rhythm.

Edited by sleekfeeder

He seemed to be missing some pep in his step yesterday. He was trying to do his normal juke n jive at one point and it just looked like he was doing it in molasses. That and he jived himself right into a defender. Brindy's just the guy who can fix a lack of pep though.

• Like 4

Remember when we spent months saying

"If the Canes could only figure out how to win some of these overtime games and not leave that extra point on the table, we would be a playoff team"

I think we needed an extra hard drive to store all those posts.  Throw it away.  We even killed a full 2 minute penalty in OT and proceeded to win the game on our one chance.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DevildogKodi said:

It's really quite hidden. You won't really notice it unless you are row E or above in th few sections below the press. Probably even better if you snag the radio feed now. 

Time to see the eye doc. I didnt know they existed. Then again I dont usually spend much time looking up there.

1 hour ago, sleekfeeder said:

Mr. Offer Sheet needs to pick it up. 

Sorry. Woke up this morning and thought that bitter taste in my mouth was acid reflux, but then after looking at the Team Sats, I realized it was something else.

He's had his looks and a few posts. His goals will come,way to much talent to go on a prolonged goal drought. He just needs to relax and take the pressure off himself. He has more offensive help now and doesn't need to feel like he has to be the guy every night.

The NHL is the ultimate league of parity.  The 3-0 record the Canes have rightly earned could just as easily been 0-0-3.  Not having watched and just looking at the stat sheet, the interesting thing about game 3 is outshooting the Lightning 3-1 and having to come back.  

It's a long season, great to have such a high compete level out of the box, but need to realize the Canes will be on the opposite side of these results also.

Article on NHL.com about Slavin adapting to responsibilities of fatherhood and being alternate captain.

Sorry can’t link and I’m driving

10 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

Article on NHL.com about Slavin adapting to responsibilities of fatherhood and being alternate captain.

Sorry can’t link and I’m driving

but you are posting............

7 hours ago, hag65 said:

Remember when we spent months saying

"If the Canes could only figure out how to win some of these overtime games and not leave that extra point on the table, we would be a playoff team"

I think we needed an extra hard drive to store all those posts.  Throw it away.  We even killed a full 2 minute penalty in OT and proceeded to win the game on our one chance.

And:

"If the Canes could only get a decent start out of the gate and not have to dig themselves out of such a deep hole, we would be a playoff team".  :P

Still  a long season ahead, but I like our chances. :thumbsup:

15 hours ago, remkin said:

It's a bit early, but I'm thinking we must look pretty good on the old Hagmetrics. 

+3

:)

100 points is +18.  So a great head start, as we are on a +82 pace.      :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hag65 said:

Boomer Gordon said yesterday...

Going into last night, the East was 8-0-1 against the West.

Yeah I left that out of my playoff cutline argument. If it ends up remaining a big tilt to the East that would push up our cut line.

I don't know if Necas will stick. We could send him down for some more work or let him learn as he goes with the big club. One thing I'm amazed at is his speed. Another is his ability to make power moves. He looks like the real deal. He is making rookie mistakes but that should be expected. He has a power play goal and isn't afraid to play near the paint. You get the feeling if he can limit his mistakes and net a couple at even strength he will be a force to be reckoned with. It should be fun to watch him grow into the game

15 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I don't know if Necas will stick. We could send him down for some more work or let him learn as he goes with the big club. One thing I'm amazed at is his speed. Another is his ability to make power moves. He looks like the real deal. He is making rookie mistakes but that should be expected. He has a power play goal and isn't afraid to play near the paint. You get the feeling if he can limit his mistakes and net a couple at even strength he will be a force to be reckoned with. It should be fun to watch him grow into the game

I think he sticks, but he will have to show better on the "little things" to be sure. He made a bad clear in the last game that led to a goal. But then so did Aho, and Necas was about to have his head taken off. I think Necas' golden ticket is his creativity on the PP, but at the moment the other unit has taken over as the #1 unit. 

My opinion is based on two things. 1. The obvious next level talent. 2. The quiet assumption by Brind'Amour when Necas was hurt at the end of the season that he'd be part of the team. Necas has a disruptive talent, but it is a fairly unique one. My own opinion is that he's going to make more good plays than bad by a lot, but some of the bad ones will stand out. This is because he is figuring out what things work at lower levels but don't work in the NHL. IMO he can only figure that out by playing in the NHL. 

I'd argue that high talent players need to get through their rookie years (and often sophomore) and for D men 2-3 years, before they are tilting hugely positive. Necas has to get that time. There will be mistakes, but still net positive, and the total depth of the rest of the team will offset the negatives.

I could well be wrong, and I've been very high on Necas since even before we drafted him, so I'm biased, but I think he's at the point where he needs to be in the NHL from here on. The other thing is that he will likely get better as the year goes on, much as Svech did last year. 

50 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I don't know if Necas will stick. ... He is making rookie mistakes but that should be expected.

He had some jitters in the D-zone.  But as I recall, Offer Sheet also had quite a jitter that lead to a goal too.

Edit: GEEZ, Remkin lives here and after I posted this, I go one down and see that Mr. Island said the same thing his first sentences.   Sorry for the repetition.  :)

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

He had some jitters in the D-zone.  But as I recall, Offer Sheet also had quite a jitter that lead to a goal too.

Edit: GEEZ, Remkin lives here and after I posted this, I go one down and see that Mr. Island said the same thing his first sentences.   Sorry for the repetition.  :)

What you and rem said is what I'm thinking too. I think he sticks and will get better on the little things as the season wears on. Will see if he does. What it does point out is why coaches on an expected play off team seem to favor veterans and cracking the line up is and should be difficult. If your a rebuilding team it's a no brainier. You bring up rookies.On a expected playoff team you limit the a youth movement. We will see more youngsters, after all it is a long season and they will need to be up to the task.

I don't see any way Necas goes down.  He has looked better each game.  He seems to be an elite talent already.

Goat is off to a fast start scoring in Charlotte (I'm not sure about the -3 though), but if he is going to get a shot, it will either be because of injury or because Foegele continues to struggle.

Random thought/opinion. I think Jacob Slavin is the heir apparent to be the Captain of the Carolina Hurricanes once Jordo retires or moves on. 

Just looking at him wear the "A", the way he conducts himself on and off the ice. It's a no-brain'er. What great leadership and development 

he has shown even in the short time he's been here. Dude's got my vote.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, cclifford10 said:

I don't see any way Necas goes down.  He has looked better each game.  He seems to be an elite talent already

I have to agree with this. Several people have commented on the noticeable rookie mistakes, like the giveaway that lead to the goal, but I have also scene several plays where he is flying on the back check ahead of the D. He appears to be putting in.the work on improving his all around game, which means our coach will love him.

• Like 2

Necas is getting a lot of blame  for stuff that's not really his fault .  if anyone needs to be blamed it's   just the team chemistry is  not  in full season mode  but it's getting there .  

Fleury  has nearly been out there on every goal that went against the canes .    I like him in his offense that he can bring  but 1 little slapper is not enough .   

Edited by Canesfanforever