The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

1 minute ago, snuffy72 said:

Could you please give more details.   Is he going to the bigs?   Has the owner canned him?  So what's the scoop?

Looks like TD doing his typical thing...

3 minutes ago, snuffy72 said:

Could you please give more details.   Is he going to the bigs?   Has the owner canned him?  So what's the scoop?

I'm sure Mark is giving all he's got. 

Read through the tea leaves here:

- His contract is up

- Last year's one year extension was a rocky negotiation.

- TD has history of dumping anyone not on skates at the drop of a hat.

- JF has history with national announcing.  I'm sure he has that lined up again.  Without a home team, he could even expand it.  In other words, he's already playing in the bigs!

- Doc Emerick is not getting any younger.

Edited by wxray1

Hopefully they're quicker to give an update on this than they have been on whether the Canes are truy moving their AHL affiliation to Chicago.

Many here have predicted this day.  Now that it appears to be here, I feel gut punched and gloomy.  As someone on Reddit said, "<bad word> 2020"

That would be an epic loss. I'd have a very difficult time with that one. The guy was just called out on the Athletic as basically the best in hockey. How do you let that guy walk?

Absolute idiocy if they don't resign Forslund, guy is literally best in biz, voice of the team, amazing community presence and he's going to let him go when it certainly seems he would like to stay. Have to say, I want to like Dundon but between this and the Checkers seems like a very penny-wise pound foolish guy. He's losing me.

1 hour ago, Iron Lion said:

Absolute idiocy if they don't resign Forslund, guy is literally best in biz, voice of the team, amazing community presence and he's going to let him go when it certainly seems he would like to stay. Have to say, I want to like Dundon but between this and the Checkers seems like a very penny-wise pound foolish guy. He's losing me.

I get it but John isn’t cheap.  He has national money in his corner.  If Tom is making provisions based on the amount of games played next year, it would be in John’s best interest to get more money on the national scene. Based on Waddell’s case that is exactly what it sounds like. Probably would be similar money for less games and less travel.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I really like the combo of John and Tripp. Not sure that if John is done, I might be, too.

John is great but that is quite an extreme stance.

• Like 1

Forslund is the best in the business, and it's not even close. Between him and Gene Hart, I feel fortunate to have heard my two favorite teams win three Stanley Cups through their vocal artistry.

But like it or not, this comes with the broadcasting turf, and every broadcaster knows it when they go into it. How many people these days work for the same company for 20+ years in any industry, let alone in that one?

IMO--and I'm not disparaging it, because it is his choice to make--John is playing both ends against the middle. He learned TD's ceiling last year, and he thinks it's too low. By going public, he is hoping fan pressure will change the number. It won't, but it especially won't when it is anybody's guess when he'll even work again. He says he'd prefer to stay here--but it's contingent, apparently, on getting money that is more typically paid those doing his job in larger markets. 

Again, it's John's right to play his cards this way. But stop following the Canes because they change the play-by-play guy? If others are willing to give up Canes hockey over that--well, it's their right too, I suppose. But I'm a lot more interested in what's happening on the ice than in the broadcast booth. I don't care if they let Tripp (try to) call the games. I'd just turn down the volume, turn up Spotify, and keep right on watching.

Edited by top-shelf-1

Pretty much everyone, even enemy fans, agrees that John is top 3 talent in this biz.  It is time for him to play that up and become a national force, or go to a super large market.  It is the way of the world.  Sad for us, but the way it is.

Mark Armstrong gave more information in his news report.  It isn't in the print part of the story at this link, but Mark says that Waddell mentioned that something like 17 of 18 employees have renegotiated their contracts at LOWER base pays with clauses to raise it only if more number of games are played.  Tripp was one of those.  John was not.  DW also had the following to say (direct quote):  "if a deal to bring Forslund back doesn't get done, it'd be accurate to call it a coronavirus casualty."

BTW, I'm finding the virus to be used as an excuse to cut a lot of things that were marginal with businesses.  I do a lot of volunteer work and have found it as an opportunity to cut ties with some of the orgs I am not too close to anymore.  I just blame the virus.

(Yes, I am implying that blaming the virus is a weak back door excuse to making difficult change.  I saw a lot of the same in the 2008-09 financial crisis when a lot of things at work or in our city changed for the worst and the blame was just on the crisis.  I'm still going to be using this excuse because I like the easy way out too.)

Edited by wxray1

13 hours ago, caneswincup said:

Looks like TD doing his typical thing...

Hate it when he treats his business like a business.  Contracts by nature require negotiation.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, remkin said:

That would be an epic loss. I'd have a very difficult time with that one. The guy was just called out on the Athletic as basically the best in hockey. How do you let that guy walk?

If John wants to transfer to the Big Show I am sorry but I don't see how we can keep him from it.

9 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

John is great but that is quite an extreme stance.

Well, I sure can't listen to that guy from Charlotte that fills in for him. They better get someone good to replace him. I watch for the hockey, but it's a total package, and if part of the package stinks, I'm not going to be as interested. 

16 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Well, I sure can't listen to that guy from Charlotte that fills in for him. They better get someone good to replace him. I watch for the hockey, but it's a total package, and if part of the package stinks, I'm not going to be as interested. 

I just hope they change the break music and graphics. They're 15+ years old and look (and sound) like it.

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Yes, I am implying that blaming the virus is a weak back door excuse to making difficult change. 

I hear ya, but the employment numbers back then were not hit on a scale like this. Unemployment peaked at 9.9 percent. We've already seen "official" numbers over 14% with government economists suggesting it's over 16. Yet John expects his full pay, and apparently a raise, when he hasn't worked since March and we don't know when there will even be another full season.

I gotta tell ya, if I'm Dundon, I'm doing the exact same thing, thanking him for his service and wishing him good luck. People are lucky to be working at all right now. Not the time to demand the same or a higher contract for a job you're not even doing.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I hear ya, but the employment numbers back then were not hit on a scale like this. Unemployment peaked at 9.9 percent. We've already seen "official" numbers over 14% with government economists suggesting it's over 16. Yet John expects his full pay, and apparently a raise, when he hasn't worked since March and we don't know when there will even be another full season.

I gotta tell ya, if I'm Dundon, I'm doing the exact same thing, thanking him for his service and wishing him good luck. People are lucky to be working at all right now. Not the time to demand the same or a higher contract for a job you're not even doing.

Not disagreeing with you at all, actually completely agreeing.

I'm just saying the virus is an easy PR way out.   Expect to see a lot more virus blaming everywhere.

Look, after last year's 1 yr extension for John, we knew it was a difficult negotiation.  We talked about it at the time that the writing is on the wall.  Is the virus a 'factor' this year?  Yep.  So, sure, blame it all on the virus, even though it is only a factor.    The major factors are: 1) John is in probably the #1 strongest negotiating position for an announcer in the NHL, and 2) TD needs to reduce or keep his budget level.  This started last year before the virus was even in a bat.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1

I'm still hopeful something will get done, but not banking on it.  It may be inevitable that John leaves one day for greener pastures (pun intended), we have all acknowledged that.  That day just may be sooner than we like I guess.

2 hours ago, cc said:

If John wants to transfer to the Big Show I am sorry but I don't see how we can keep him from it.

I have no problem with John moving up (outside of really missing his calls, because that is part of the enjoyment). But that is not what he's saying in the quotes listed above:

“Would never close the door (on the Canes) but he has to move forward.”

“Not my wish to leave..”

And most hard to hear “I don’t want to go off into the sunset, but today I am.”

"Not my wish to leave" is fairly explicit. 

Does anyone know what John makes from the team? I don't get the feeling that it's a budget buster, but I don't know. If he wants to stay, but is being forced into el cheapo, then the term "penny wise and pound foolish" comes to mind. John will be calling a lot of those playoff games too. I guess TD wants to be clear that no one is above the organization (well almost no one), but the unlikely fact that the Canes have the highest rated local play by play guy in all of the NHL? Doesn't that have some value? Listening to John and Tripp has become part of the experience. Shaya seems like a decent guy, but it's night and day. This is the image the team is projecting to anyone and everyone who watches or listens to a Hurricanes game.

I'm hoping it's all negotiating. 

As far as the national job, didn't Doc Emrick do games locally for a long time while doing national games too? I get the feeling that there is only one full time national gig and as long as Emrick is there he has it. If John were offered the full time national gig, wouldn't he just say that? Who wouldn't understand? But that is not what he's saying.

Per the N&O, TD wants Forslund’s pay tied to revenue. So no fans in stands or fewer games played equals less money. Also said Tampa Bay’s play-by-play guy retired and was an option, along with Seattle. Doesn’t sound like he is giving up doing local broadcasts to go to NBC. Except for the few games with Shaya, I’ve never experienced a Canes broadcast without JF. If Dundon sticks to his guns on pay, that’s going to change, and top broadcasters aren’t going to be lining up to replace him. When you’ve listened to the best for 20 years, it’s going to be hard to get used to someone else. Tripp resigned, but I think with his Harvard education, he’s smart enough to know there are no other suitors. But I don’t watch to hear Tripp’s analysis.

• Like 1

It appears that there is still a chance Forslund could be back. If doesn't appear it is a good chance but a chance.

With or without JF

Theres a petition to TD to sign Forslund on change.org.

I signed it.

However. A local play by play guy will only make so much. John is well beyond the normal skill level of a local play by play guy and for years has been getting national games. I would love for the Canes to keep him but honestly NBC can double anything TD would pay. We all want Rolls Royces but most of us have to roll with Chryslers. 

That's how I see it. I would be more then thrilled to find him filling in for us once in awhile when he has nights off. You know where his heart and home are so he shouldn't be far away.

Good luck John the past 24ish year have been great.