The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

In Season Talk 2019-20

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

Again, losing Forslund would be a blow, but it's business.  I've talked with both him and Tripp a few times over the years.  They are both very approachable, and love the game and the team. 

I'm watching a Preds playoff game and the crowd is a big part. Playoff hockey with no crowd, and no Forslund is probably better than nothing, but not by much.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, snuffy72 said:

It is amazing that Doc Emrick is only making 500k.   I don't know if any sport has as good of an announcer has Doc. 

Watching games On NHL.com there is truly a lot of propped up dead meat calling the games around the league; dead man announcing. Personally I think Doc has a squeaky voice lacking in good inflection for what’s happening on the ice. NFL national game announcers are far smoother with better voice inflection. Yes I’m biased but John is head and shoulders above Doc calling the game with fingertip relevant knowledge and quality moderated excitement in his voice.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Watching games On NHL.com there is truly a lot of propped up dead meat calling the games around the league; dead man announcing. Personally I think Doc has a squeaky voice lacking in good inflection for what’s happening on the ice. NFL national game announcers are far smoother with better voice inflection. Yes I’m biased but John is head and shoulders above Doc calling the game with fingertip relevant knowledge and quality moderated excitement in his voice.  

Beautifully said, I agree on all counts. I just think John is trying to thread a needle that never has been. In a traditional market with an established owner it would probably work, but I think Dundon believes that winning cures all fan complaints, and we can't say he didn't warn us that the place he'd be spending money to make that happen is on the ice. 

17 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

.........we can't say he didn't warn us that the place he'd be spending money to make that happen is on the ice. 

Now that I agree with, he's said it on multiple occasions. 

But, that doesn't preclude Dundon and his big-daddy bucks from keeping John Forslund and making the improved on-ice product also enjoyable to watch on TV to the greatest extent possible.

Pay the man.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

But, that doesn't preclude Dundon and his big-daddy bucks from keeping John Forslund and making the improved on-ice product also enjoyable to watch on TV to the greatest extent possible.

Pay the man.

The tv presentation is part of the total product. If he wants a first class franchise, he needs the best people, and if John isn’t the best, he’s pretty darn close. I used to have the Center Ice package, and I’ve heard the announcers from all teams, and realized we were very lucky to have the team we have. 

21 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Which may not be surprising when you think about it. Gotta be a lot easier to call an NFL game than an NHL game. There's something like an average of 11 minutes of live play in an NFL game, with breaks between plays. Seems like you'd have a much bigger pool of announcers qualified to call an NFL game, which means more access to announcers with good voice "aesthetics". 

3 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Pay the man.

Easy for you (and me) to say. It's not our money.

The guy whose money it is, TD, has apparently decided--as many successful businesspeople do--that each of his ventures must stand or fall on its own, and that at this incredibly uncertain economic juncture, the best odds of making that happen with this venture come down to a decision between (1) keeping the best play-by-play man in the biz, or (2) remaining true to his promise of doing all he can to keep not just any hockey--like the crap PK and JR shoved down our throats for 10 straight years--but Stanley Cup contending hockey in Raleigh for the foreseeable future.

I'll miss John. But if that's the choice TD has given himself, I want him choosing #2.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

That is a fascinating video. Worth watching. 

6 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Easy for you (and me) to say. It's not our money.

The guy whose money it is, TD, has apparently decided--as many successful businesspeople do--that each of his ventures must stand or fall on its own, and that at this incredibly uncertain economic juncture, the best odds of making that happen with this venture come down to a decision between (1) keeping the best play-by-play man in the biz, or (2) remaining true to his promise of doing all he can to keep not just any hockey--like the crap PK and JR shoved down our throats for 10 straight years--but Stanley Cup contending hockey in Raleigh for the foreseeable future.

I'll miss John. But if that's the choice TD has given himself, I want him choosing #2.

Easy for me to say I know, but if Forslund is making $350m currently, would think worst case TD is trying to take him to $250m. So you're really going to run arguably the best play-by-play guy in the league out of town for $100m. This is a rounding error in the scheme of total costs to run/operate the team (oh, and TD is a billionaire multiple times over). Would be incredibly short sighted and cheap.

6 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Same guy who did this podcast after the Ayres game. Worth re-watching, it got me smiling all over again.

Edited by LakeLivin

11 hours ago, Iron Lion said:

(oh, and TD is a billionaire multiple times over). Would be incredibly short sighted and cheap.

It's not a rounding error when you multiply it across several years, and when you consider the cost if the other (reportedly) 17 other high-paid staff had not agreed to cuts. It's a lot of money. 

TD's a billionaire because he's made tough business decisions, and he clearly isnt about to start peeing that hard-earned wealth away. Nobody's going to stop watching Canes games because there's a different PBP guy, and he knows it. All he did was ask John to pitch in like (literally) everybody else, during a crisis with no end in sight, in order to keep his job. In John's case, the word is that he was to get paid by the game, which essentially means TD isn't going to pay him until there are games again. John refused. John loses his job.

It's not trigonometry. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

It's not a rounding error when you multiply it across several years, and when you consider the cost if the other (reportedly) 17 other high-paid staff had not agreed to cuts. It's a lot of money. 

TD's a billionaire because he's made tough business decisions, and he clearly isnt about to start peeing that hard-earned wealth away. Nobody's going to stop watching Canes games because there's a different PBP guy, and he knows it. All he did was ask John to pitch in like (literally) everybody else, during a crisis with no end in sight, in order to keep his job. In John's case, the word is that he was to get paid by the game, which essentially means TD isn't going to pay him until there are games again. John refused. John loses his job.

It's not trigonometry. 

I hated to give this a thumbs up but I did because it's TRUE. I will dearly miss the best play by play guy in the business but I watch every game Shaya called and will watch John's replacement as well

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

I hated to give this a thumbs up but I did because it's TRUE. I will dearly miss the best play by play guy in the business but I watch every game Shaya called and will watch John's replacement as well

I hate the whole situation, Derailed. Losing John, losing the season, and debating whether a freakin' billionaire is being cheap or prudent... when our country's lost 130,000 people for no good reason, and their families couldn't even bid them farewell. 

• Like 1

Per Chip:

Waddell says he talked with John Forslund yesterday and has "left the door open."

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, remkin said:

Per Chip:

Waddell says he talked with John Forslund yesterday and has "left the door open."

Here's hoping cooler heads prevail once seasons and playoffs happen like they always have. Until then, NBC will likely be John's primary employer.

I can't help but wonder how Torontonians and Edmontonians feel about an influx of ~480 players and staff coming to each of their cities from the worst-affected country on the planet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

I can't help but wonder how Torontonians and Edmontonians feel about an influx of ~480 players and staff coming to each of their cities from the worst-affected country on the planet.

Yeah, we're all terrible people here.  

14 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Yeah, we're all terrible people here.  

Not sure i saw any such implication.  I wonder the thing top shelf wonders.

3 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

Not sure i saw any such implication.  I wonder the thing top shelf wonders.

Do we have to infect every thread with this topic?  Is there any room for fun?

Sorry.  I'll take a time out.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Do we have to infect every thread with this topic?  Is there any room for fun?

Sorry.  I'll take a time out.

I didn't mean to offend, xray. I just put myself in the shoes of people in both those places (both of which I've visited more than once). The outbreak in the northeast was due in no small part to people from the most-affected countries at the time flying into the region's three busiest international airports. Now people who have spent several weeks training in what is currently the most affected country, where cases are still spiking, are heading to a country that has been largely spared. 

I'm sorry if noting the parallels harshed your mellow, but now more than ever, and whether we like it or not, reality is for people who can't handle drugs. :)

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

First, this is a subgroup of people who are quarantining, and have tested negative every other day for weeks.

Second, they will be in their bubble, not out on the streets.

Finally, this is hockey, and that is Canada. 

I'm pretty sure they're good with it.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

If Twitter profiles are official then Forslund only has NBC listed now.

Yes my go to source is Twitter.  LOL Not being smart. I am old and have never twitted.

22 minutes ago, cc said:

Yes my go to source is Twitter.  LOL Not being smart. I am old and have never twitted.

John removed the Canes from his Twitter bio.