The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
hockeybaby

Sling drops FSC

I watch the canes on FSC thru sling on my roku. As this channel has been dropped by sling, what are my options? If I sign up and pay a subscription just for canes games, thru NHL app, will I get to watch all the canes games? I don't really want to pay HULU $45 a month. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I was debating center ice but I am not sure if it is subject to local area blackouts or not.  Anyone who is local know the answer to this one?  It looks like it is 24.99 a month or 129 s year. 

11 hours ago, hockeybaby said:

I watch the canes on FSC thru sling on my roku. As this channel has been dropped by sling, what are my options? If I sign up and pay a subscription just for canes games, thru NHL app, will I get to watch all the canes games? I don't really want to pay HULU $45 a month. Any suggestions? Thanks.

There are several options depending on what you are looking for.  I have tried all the streaming services, and settled on YouTube TV.  In my opinion they probably have it down the best.  Unlimited DVR, not buggy, and easy to navigate.  You can search for specific teams, add them to your favorites, and it will find and record all their games.  Worked flawlessly unlike Direct TV who always seemed to want to record a game on a channel I didn't get.

One issue I did have last year with a few of the Canes games was when they were on the alt FSC.  For some reason there were issues when using my YTTV credentials to log in to the Fox Sports app.  When logged in I should have had access to the Canes games, but did not.  Never could find the problem or know if it was a Fox issue or a YTTV issue.  It went away late in the season, and this year YTTV added an alt FSC Carolina channel to their lineup.  I do see that all the games this season will be on the main FSC channel (no alternates) so that would be a non-issue anyway. 

Just a couple of months ago YTTV ended their relationship with ESPN3 so I lost access to lots of football games only available via streaming on ESPN3. That was a deal breaker for me so I reluctantly switched to Playstation Vue.  PSV is comparably priced to YTTV, has a similar lineup, but does still allow access to ESPN3.  I find PSV to be a little buggy, and do not like to DVR function as much.  It is unlimited, but the shows deleted I think after 28 days vs 90 for YTTV (not that big of a deal to me).  What I really don't like is that rather than just recording the games of teams I want to see, I have to select entire leagues, ie NHL, NCAA Football, NFL, etc.  I am learning to live with it, but it clutters everything up, and can sometimes take a bit to find the game I want to see.  The 2 big things I especially do not like are:

1.  If you are recording a game and start watching let's say 1 hour into it, you cannot pause.  That function is not available.  PSV does not allow pause until you get to within 5 minutes of live.  Major pain and major flaw.

2.  When fast forwarding there is no 'preview' so you have to guess where to stop.  YTTV allowed you to see when FF or RW so you could stop right where you want.  Major design flaw that would be a deal breaker to me, but not as egregious as no ESPN3.

I have heard ESPN3 may go away completely in the near future and all that content moved to ESPN+ (pay service).  If that happens I will go back to YTTV,

I also found a great app that allows me to cast the Canes preseason games using my iPhone from their website to my ROKU/TV.  It is called Web Video Cast/Browse.  I used it last night.  Easy to set up and worked great.

Sorry for the long post.......probably more than you wanted to know.

12 hours ago, hockeybaby said:

2 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

I was debating center ice but I am not sure if it is subject to local area blackouts or not.  Anyone who is local know the answer to this one?  It looks like it is 24.99 a month or 129 s year. 

I bit the bullet and shelled out for Hulu. (Which is fine; I really like having unlimited access to "Bob's Burgers" among others :)). I used Sling and liked it, but even when Fox Regional Sports was still on it, there were a few games a year that didn't get "slung" because they were on FS South, not FS Southeast or Carolinas. Or something. 

NHL Center Ice only broadcasts out-of-market games, so yeah, games in Raleigh will be blacked out for people who live here, since the contracted service (Fox Regional) pays for broadcast rights. And the away games you watch on CE will be called by the home team's announcers. (More on Center Ice here.)

So YouTube TV and Hulu TV are our only options if we want to remain with internet TV and live local.  Thanks all!  Think I am leaning towards YouTube TV myself though both have a solid product.

Edited by bluedevil58

I dont have time to play around with all the shenanigans just to watch the Canes. I may pay more but Spectrum at least gives me the ability of seeing every game on FSC here in Raleigh. One of the advantages of being in Raleigh. https://www.nhl.com/news/canes-fox-sports-carolinas-announce-2019-20-television-schedule/c-309345090

Edited by slapshot02

1 hour ago, bluedevil58 said:

So YouTube TV and Hulu TV are our only options if we want to remain with internet TV and live local.  Thanks all!  Think I am leaning towards YouTube TV myself though both have a solid product.

I've had Youtubetv for a few years and thinks it's great. My only issue is they added about 20 channels a few months ago and raised the price to 45 a month. Not a bad deal but of the channels they added I really only watch 2. Here in SoVa it's my only streaming option with locals though

3 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

I dont have time to play around with all the shenanigans just to watch the Canes. I may pay more but Spectrum at least gives me the ability of seeing every game on FSC here in Raleigh. One of the advantages of being in Raleigh. https://www.nhl.com/news/canes-fox-sports-carolinas-announce-2019-20-television-schedule/c-309345090

I have Uverse, which does a good job carrying all the games, even on the deep alternate channels.  However, Uverse doesn't have NHL network on anything except the ridiculously expensive "get everything, and we mean everything" package, so that blows.  Spectrum is definitely your best choice for NHL and the home team.  I hate to give them any kudos, but they deserve it here.

DISH satellite worked great for me, and you can also stream tv shows instead of watching on a conventional TV if you so desire.  Unfortunately they've dropped their Fox Sports packages.  But doesn't DirecTV still carry the Fox sports packages?  I'd guess that they also have an option to stream their content just to keep up with DISH.  Not sure what the costs are or whether you have to commit to a specified time period to get free installation.

Edited by LakeLivin

5 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Playstation Vue has FSC as well.

The upside to streaming is you can still watch the games when you travel.  I have a Roku stick I carry with me.  Plug it into the HDMI port in the hotel tv, and I have FSC no matter where I am at.

On 9/28/2019 at 7:21 AM, bluedevil58 said:

Get a VPN.

Um, I think Spectrum dropped it too.  FSCR is not showing up in the guide or the Spectrum app as on Monday.  I will be calling them today to see what is going on.  Needless to say, I will be making alternate arrangements for Thursday if they do not answer to my satisfaction.  In case you are wondering, going to games during the week is not an option for me at this time. 

Edited by ironman87

I'm just searching for NHL streams in reddit. You can even get home stream there with John and Tripp. Drawback is that there are no commercials there so no Marley Girl

1 hour ago, cc said:

With the new deal, Dish and Sling customers will immediately regain access to the Fox channels and networks, a Fox spokesperson said.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/06/tech/dish-network-fox-corporation/index.html

Thank Goodness

Do you know for sure that Canes games will be coming back on DISH?

DISH dropped Fox Sports Carolinas last July.  The article doesn't mention FSC at all, rather it seems to be about a couple other channels that DISH dropped 2 weeks ago.  And I don't see any Canes games on the channel guide.   Boy, I sure hope that we'll get the Canes back, but here's an excerpt from the article: 

"Nearly two weeks ago, as the companies were in the midst of tense contract negotiations, Fox blocked customers of Dish and Sling TV (owned by Dish) from accessing its local channels in 17 markets. Dish also removed access to Fox's cable networks FS1, FS2, Big 10 Network, Fox Soccer Plus and Fox Deportes.

Dish said on September 26 that Fox was seeking a double-digit percentage-rate increase for carrying its local channels. Dish also said Fox wanted to "force bundle" its local channels with its cable networks, which Dish said would hike prices for its customers. Dish offered Fox a short-term contract extension to maintain consumers' access to the channels during the negotiations, but Fox turned it down, Dish claimed.

With the new deal, Dish and Sling customers will immediately regain access to the Fox channels and networks, a Fox spokesperson said."

EDIT: I just called the FOX Sports Regional providers phone line and they specifically said that DISH isn't carrying Fox Sports Carolinas.  :mad:
Edited by LakeLivin

1 hour ago, ironman87 said:

I have switched to YouTube TV.  It is a far superior experience to Spectrum.  I get everything I want at a much lower price.

Isnt it amazing?

I spoke too fing soon. Sinclair still not playing. It’s the “other” fox they agreed with. I ain’t got no options where I live. They don’t give a crap.

Edited by cc

4 hours ago, ironman87 said:

I have switched to YouTube TV.  It is a far superior experience to Spectrum.  I get everything I want at a much lower price.

Nice if you have options. I don’t. I live in da boonies.

Well I've finally found an option.  Its HULU plus live TV and Dish Flex pack.  The combined cost is less than I pay now.

55 minutes ago, cc said:

Well I've finally found an option.  Its HULU plus live TV and Dish Flex pack.  The combined cost is less than I pay now.

You must have much better internet service than I.  Here's the HULU recommendations:

*Viewers may be able to stream at a reduced video quality with 1.5 Mbps.

I can only get 0.75 Mbps.  :( 

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

You must have much better internet service than I.  Here's the HULU recommendations:

*Viewers may be able to stream at a reduced video quality with 1.5 Mbps.

I can only get 0.75 Mbps.  :( 

Dag thats friggin dialup speed.  I should not be complaining.  I did check and thanx for highlighting this.  I have 10 Mbps at the moment.  They are trying to sell me a 40 Mbps upgrade.