The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Canes @ Craps, 5 Oct 2019

1 minute ago, surfzone365 said:

Just left the game... uh, Canes won!!!

Any nasty comments from Craps fans?

Our defenseman clowned the Caps, all over the ice.  So many one on one battles just shut down their rushes.

It was ironic that another new guy stepped up in the OT.  

The Land of Misfit Toys.....With Skill

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

This team and this coach excite me.

IKR. I love that RB's stamp is so all over this franchise for the past 12 months now. I wondered why for years that as a former captain and cup winner here, it didn't seem to generate much influence all those years as an assistant. I guess it points to a fact that in this league things are done according to the head honcho. I said so on his hiring and say now, it was the best move Dundon's made all along I think and one a lot of fans turned noses up at. It's apparent to me that he not only can handle x's and o's as a coach but must have skill at handling new pieces on a personal level and getting them comfortable in their roles within the team context. Very underrated skills for coach types IMO.

• Like 3

What a game! Didn’t comment much during the game due ... mix of emotion from ****** off 😡 to having hope to euphoria. There was no one to high five  🖐 in my vicinity after the OT goal but there were some Canes fans here to celebrate with. My voice is toast and I’m a little hammered 🍺🍺🍺.  That’s about it. Go Canes!!

• Like 4

Just now, surfzone365 said:

What a game! Didn’t comment much during the game due ... mix of emotion from ****** off 😡 to having hope to euphoria. There was no one to high five  🖐 in my vicinity after the OT goal but there were some Canes fans here to celebrate with. My voice is toast and I’m a little hammered 🍺🍺🍺.  That’s about it. Go Canes!!

👊

3 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Game...over

3 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

IMG_0472.thumb.JPG.ad00b78ddb52b05f028a02cfd7818bba.JPG

I think its clear from these 2 actual quotes what happened here.

Good win.  As said before... the upside is sky high... I feel like this V8 engine is only firing on 3 cylinders so far. And we beat 2 great teams.

• Like 2

Just now, hag65 said:

I think its clear from these 2 actual quotes what happened here.

Good win.  As said before... the upside is sky high... I feel like this V8 engine is only firing on 3 cylinders so far. And we beat 2 great teams.

It looked to me at that point that Rod wasn’t gonna challenge jack squat.  Personally, I still think their 2nd goal was high stick, and I’d have challenged it...but that’s why I’m not Rod. 

Wow, that felt good after all the junk talking. Surprised the game was not really physical at all.  Good hockey, but dang Canes got the Caps number now. Lookout, there is a new powerhouse in the metro biatisheses.  Woohooo, no revenge for the caps, just some deja vu! 

• Like 1

I liked what I saw.  I had 1 very important take away from this one.   The guy between the pipes made key saves when we needed them most.  This was against an elite team and at their home.  Good win.  Good goal tending.   Was Reimer just behind a shktty D last year?

Overall I think he had a solid game. 

10 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Wow, that felt good after all the junk talking. Surprised the game was not really physical at all.  Good hockey, but dang Canes got the Caps number now. Lookout, there is a new powerhouse in the metro biatisheses.  Woohooo, no revenge for the caps, just some deja vu! 

Yeah, I had a peak at one of their boards.  When the Canes tied it someone was like "This is eerily similar to game 7."

5 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

I liked what I saw.  I had 1 very important take away from this one.   The guy between the pipes made key saves when we needed them most.  This was against an elite team and at their home.  Good win.  Good goal tending.   Was Reimer just behind a shktty D last year?

Overall I think he had a solid game. 

BD, it was a combo of shaky blue line with inconsistent scoring up front (which was shocking given their talent down the middle)

3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

BD, it was a combo of shaky blue line with inconsistent scoring up front (which was shocking given their talent down the middle)

Yeah...  full disclosure Reimer wasn't perfect.   But it was good enough and I've seen way worse here.  I saw a Veteran goalie tonight.  I hope we can roll a 1A/1B combo in goalie this year.

I think  teams ability to choose between goalies then have just 1 horse is better.  Unless you have a Hasek, Broduer, or Roy. holby is good.  But I do not see a dominant goalie like a Hasek or Broduer was these days....

He was good enough...obviously.  There were times where he was flat out of position and Slavin/Pesce/Dougie saved his bacon.  But I’m sure they’ll work with him on that.

Folks, I'm on Ocracoke doing volunteer disaster recovery work.  People are hurting here, but looking for any sense of normalcy and optimism.

If this is the Canes new normal, I'm all in. 

Looking forward to getting home to review these 2 games.  Couldn't watch due to exhaustion.  

• Like 6

6 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

It looked to me at that point that Rod wasn’t gonna challenge jack squat.  Personally, I still think their 2nd goal was high stick, and I’d have challenged it...but that’s why I’m not Rod. 

Rod gave a nice explanation in the post game press conference that his inclination was to challenge because he thought the puck went directly in on the stick above the cross bar.   He said the ref explained to him that was not the case, it was knocked down (with a legal stick) and then tucked in.  Rod was complimentary of the ref for explaining the rule and play and not having him waste a challenge and get a penalty. 

• Like 2

Unfortunately haven’t been able to watch the games yet. 

From highlights - looks like our speed and playmaking has really come together nicely to create prime scoring opportunities. I counted like 10 in that first period. And not just any PP goal, but a tic-tac-toe beauty?! Also seems like the new guys are adjusting well. 

Hopefully can can get some sort of streaming package up and running so I can watch the games from NYC. Any recommendations? 

8 hours ago, Bing_Chow said:

The new guys are making Waddell look like a genius. Next up: Dzingel. 

I have a feeling he's going to pot one or 2 today vs. TB.  The guy is sneaky quick.  I do have to remember he does have 1 pt this season thus far (assist on the Haula goal vs MTL).  I'd love to see him dent the score sheet.  I know it's early but it does get the monkey off your back when you score your first goal for your new team.

Hopefully we can give McE the same homecoming we gave Cam Ward last year with the Blackhawks...which was a Canes win.

It has been great having a power play that is effective. I like what our team is bringing and as they continue to gel it should get even better. Hopefully the center ice preview is still going so I can watch the bolts game. I miss living in NC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Citylove3122 said:

Hopefully can can get some sort of streaming package up and running so I can watch the games from NYC. Any recommendations? 

NHL Tv streaming?

7 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

He was good enough...obviously.  There were times where he was flat out of position and Slavin/Pesce/Dougie saved his bacon.  But I’m sure they’ll work with him on that.

Agreed.  That's what our D is there for though.  What matters is he made the saves when it mattered, like in the OT when the Caps were lighting him up with shots.

34 minutes ago, Canes06cup17 said:

It has been great having a power play that is effective. I like what our team is bringing and as they continue to gel it should get even better. Hopefully the center ice preview is still going so I can watch the bolts game. I miss living in NC. 

If I remember, aren't we 2/7 on the PP this year or 2/8.  We had 1 vs MTL but I don't know if we were 1/3 on the PP that game or 1/4 and we were 1/4 vs Washington.  Regardless, it's mounds better than last season.  I love having Haula in front of the net to clean up the rebounds.  He and Staal will likely make a living there during the PP.

Anyone know our 2 PP units that are on the ice? I think Haula is out there with Aho and Teuvo but I don't know what are 2 PP units are this season thus far?  I like the PP so far though.

• Like 2