The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Canes @ Craps, 5 Oct 2019

What a dramatic win. Coming from behind and winning in OT. The Caps are good, real good and we beat them. We didn't beat them at their own game we beat them playing our game. I wasn't sure what we would see from Reimer but he seemed to get better as the game went on. Gardiner makes a statement goal and is now part of the team.

Last nights game is already in the rear view mirror.That was then and this is now. Another day, another game. Lets keep this going

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OBXer said:

What a dramatic win. Coming from behind and winning in OT. The Caps are good, real good and we beat them. We didn't beat them at their own game we beat them playing our game. I wasn't sure what we would see from Reimer but he seemed to get better as the game went on. Gardiner makes a statement goal and is now part of the team.

Last nights game is already in the rear view mirror.That was then and this is now. Another day, another game. Lets keep this going

People may disagree with me when I say this and I don't want to be negative about last years team but this is the awful truth.  Last years team, no matter how good we ended up being would have lost this game.  Think about it, we committed SIX penalties and killed them ALL against an ELITE PP in the league.  Last years team would've given up possibly 2 PP goals, maybe more and lost the game.  The Ovechin line was SHUT DOWN all night last night.  They were silent and I honestly did not know they were even on the ICE last night until the PP chances they had in the OT.  This is what I like about this team.  I know it's a small sample size but our PK has been outstanding.

I can also already tell that this team is so much quicker than last years team.  Even though we were down I LOVED the speed we showed in the first period and we really had the Caps on their heels.  If not for Holtby the game is likely over after the 1st period (Aho finally has a teammate to challenge him in speed skating, Dzingel.  Nino is quick too).  I think we'll give them fits this year.  Have to work on our second periods because that period thus far has been our worst.  We seem to always take a breath in the 2nd period.  Loved our 3rd period.  Did not like the OT despite the win (Thank you Gardiner) but I think if no penalty was called Washington would not have had the 7 shots on goal they did.  The penalty Staal committed must've been pretty obvious because usually in OT the refs just let them play unless a blatantly obvious penalty is committed.

Can't say enough about Riemer.  Even though our PK has been outstanding he saved our bacon countless times in that game including the OT.  The team owes him a dinner after his performance last night.  I'm looking forward to seeing if he can continue that throughout the year and I would not mind alternating goalies each game and maybe give each goalie 40 starts this season (but if one goalie gets hot, ride the hot goalie) and then whomever is better during the regular season make them the main goalie in the playoffs.  I'm sure Mrazek would get the bulk but I don't see Petr getting more than 50 starts.  I say he gets 45.

Again, the season is only 2 games old and we were 4-0-1 last season and then stunk until like mid December when we made our run.  80 games left to play but I've enjoyed watching this team play thus far.  If we can just avoid a horrible November and not have to worry about digging out of a huge hole I think this team will go a long way this season.  If we can beat Washington on the road of all places we can beat anybody.  I know that we can't win them all but if we can beat TB tonight it should be a statement to the NHL that Carolina is for real this season knowing how well TB played last season (62 wins) although I don't think they'll be that good this year but I could be wrong.  Both teams played yesterday so it'll be interesting to see whom will get off to a better start in the matchup today.  I would say Carolina has the advantage because the team will feed off the home crowd but you never know.  I think Carolina did pretty well last season in the 2nd set of B2B's, I think they're record was actually better in the 2nd game of the B2B than the first game.  We played TB very well last season but because of their high powered offense just could not put them away and our PK stunk in the series with them last year because they lit us up on the PP in the matchups last year.  So, with how our PK has been this season thus far it'll be interesting to see how we fare vs TB this season.  However, Brayden Point is out of the lineup due to hip surgery so they are walking slightly wounded but we need not underestimate them.

A Mrazek vs. McE matchup will be a fun one to watch.  Hopefully we can give McE the same homecoming we gave Ward last year when he played us with Chicago...we beat him.  No more OT though please.  I have no more nails left to bite. 

Regarding last year, I do think this team will avoid the atrocious November they had before they're run.  It was Brindamour's first season and he was getting acclimated to the game.  Now that he knows the game and knows the players and the players know his system and style of play I don't think we'll have the awful November we had last year but only time will tell.  But this team is already deeper than last year.  I mean Haula and Dzingel on the 3rd line.  Wow, not many teams have 20+ goal scorers on their third line.  We really have 3 scoring lines.  That is REALLY deep.  Just have to stay healthy but it's good Haula has not missed a step from his injury and surgery he had last year.

I've read on paper this team is a lot better and deeper than last years.  That's on paper though.  Everyone thought the Lightning were going to win the Cup last year with their talent and look what happened.  It's why the games are played.  So far so good, but small sample size.  I think we'll know how good this team is after 15 games or so.

Fix the stupid penalties and our 2nd period play and we're golden.

As much as I enjoyed watching the shootout win at home, there is just something special about seeing 20,000 silent Caps fans.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Folks, I'm on Ocracoke doing volunteer disaster recovery work.  People are hurting here, but looking for any sense of normalcy and optimism.

If this is the Canes new normal, I'm all in. 

Looking forward to getting home to review these 2 games.  Couldn't watch due to exhaustion.  

Thanks for your help on the coast. A tough situation. I had very minimal damage this go around. Many people displaced. Any help is greatly appreciated for those in need.

15 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

The Carolina Hurricanes we’re heavily boo-ed 🤷🏻‍♂️

Seems like a rivalry is shaping up. Makes this win all the sweeter. 

I'm very late to this party so I'll go with less than 20 thoughts. A few though.

I'm always trying to project from a series of games, what the future might look like. These two games are very very encouraging. There are a lot of reasons, but here are my biggest two:

1. Goaltending. Two games, both goaltenders facing off vs two Vezna caliber goalie and two good teams. So far, goaltending is on target. I firmly believe playoffs are 95% if we keep getting good goaltending.

2. PP. A weakness for years, so far, this is a whole different animal. Not just that we're firing at 28.6%, but the way it looks. It looks like a really good NHL PP. The committee deserves some credit for this. Necas, for any weaknesses he has to work out, is a skilled passer and so is Gardiner. And TT always has been but now it's unlocking his skill more too. Aho, Svech...nice. So, instead of the puck getting stuck with Faulk bombing away, there is movement. If this PP stays in the top 1/3 of the league AND we get good goaltending? 99%.

There is a lot more good, but I'm going with those two main points.

Yes, Washington was back to back, but it's so early in the year. We faced their #1 goalie, who played like it. They were at home. They were out to teach us a lesson. We stood easily toe to toe, and given that we took 6 freaking penatlies, including one in OT and still won? Nice. 

This team has added speed and upgraded skill to last year's team. The question on my mind was this. Would this year's team look like the team that made the run and playoffs? Or would we regress to the way we started the year? All indications are that this team is picking up right where it left off. This is not the Canes of old. This team gets quality chances in bunches, has elite speed, a very good PP so far, a top 5 D, and, it appears at least average, if not better goaltending. Yes, it's two games, but with all the new faces, I expect them to gel more, not less, and Aho and Nino not yet on the sheet? Good stuff.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Folks, I'm on Ocracoke doing volunteer disaster recovery work.  People are hurting here, but looking for any sense of normalcy and optimism.

Looking forward to getting home to review these 2 games.  Couldn't watch due to exhaustion.  

Good stuff wxray, I've been down there several times for work and it's a mess.  I know they appreciate folks like yourself providing support.  Thanks!!

• Like 1

Gotta stop the penalties.  Other than that I see the typical gel process taking place, and with that some

mistakes. I’m ok with that as long as there is discipline and improvement to not keep stepping on the same land mines over again. 

14 hours ago, wxray1 said:

Thank you so much x-ray. If I weren't back working FT myself I'd be right there with you. That island is my favorite place on earth and the people are the best you'll ever meet. Thanks again for helping them.