The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
super_dave_1

GDT Oct 6 Bolts @ Canes 5PM

8 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

that was just a team expecting to win by grinding some.

Exactly. Never thought I'd see that team look like that or any team almost look like they were playing for the single point while leading a game. Mid second, they were gassed, frustrated and knew what was coming. Dump n (not even) chase hockey. And they were still up a goal when it started. We clogged up center ice and had them scrapping after two or three break ups just to reach center and be able to dump and get off the ice. Dominating the dominators.  Worth all 250 miles there and back. Too many years of cussing about money and time spent heading home is thing of the past. Love what RB has accomplished here in making a product worth it all. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Again, not trying to be a wet blanket, I just didn’t hear about this. Kind of a big deal.

If we put ourselves in a position where this tiebreaker is needed then we did not take care of business.  Just my opinion.  2 points anyway you get them is just fine.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

Let's also give credit to strength and conditioning coach Bill Burniston. :thumbsup: 

And Doug Bennett and Brian Maddox.  I have some tiny insight into this, and let's just say it is completely different than 3 years ago.  They've modernized things significantly.  It matters!

It was nice to be back and watch a game.  Pretty exciting.  Sure, we need a regulation win sometime, but points are the most important.  Keep winning anyway you can the tiebreaker won't matter.

And when did Slavin become a winger?  :)

What a win. I went from can we do it again to we did it again. Very impressive.

I thought J Staal got a little lost in the accolades. What a play he made along the boards in OT. He used his strength to get the puck, skated down the ice with a purpose, held McE's focus and made a stellar pass to Slavin for the game winner. It was a perfect ending.

• Like 5

Until otherwise proven we are an elite team.

Last season Eastern Conference finals team.  Team that just beat the 2 eastern conference division champs in a back to back.   Undefeated team.

This is now my position.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, cc said:

I am typically a half full guy. The difference between 6 and 0 points is the slimmest of margins. Let’s open up the margin.

I agree 100%.Keep the foot on the gas and open up some margins. The point I was trying to make is that I love the way the team looks and I never feel that we are out of a game since last year. In past painful years with our offense including PDG, Boychuck,Gerbe,Terry,Bowman,Dalpe,HWSNBN.....I never felt we had an offense that could compete offensively let alone making a comeback. 3 games,3 wins, comebacks, OT wins and shootout wins which were always the kiss of death. I feel confident with this offense and defense that we always have the tools to win where in the past we had way to many holes. After 3 wins and a 1 pt lead in the Metro, it's going to be a battle again in the toughest division in the NHL, we just need to keep the system rolling. Exciting times and we are built for the future.

29 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Exciting times and we are built for the future.

This is indeed an exciting time, and we are built for the future.  Look at the ages on the roster.  Only 4 players 28 or older (2 at 31yo are the oldest). 10 are 25 or younger.  That's half the roster.

Capture.thumb.PNG.e8205bceb2292373d6802e6e0a106eb6.PNG

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Chuffy_McChufferson said:

Pretty chuffed Dougie wasn't one of the defensemen we traded this offseason.

Re-reading the thread after watching the game on DVR late. Lot of good points, but this one strikes me. Not only Dougie, but Pesce too. Both had been either on the block or at least in the rumor mill, and right now I agree it is so good we kept them both. Of course sans DeHaan and Faulk every bonefide top 4 D man is even more important, but that aside, Pesce is still a rock back there. Dougie though, may have found a home. I haven't gotten through the whole thread yet, so someone may have commented on this, but Dougie has a sort of different personality, and the ovation the crowd gave him after the game and the way Brind'Amour handles guys and the room we have just seems to fit him. And when Dougie is feeling it, he is a pretty elite D man. I think this might matter when it comes to re-upping him. I'm guessing he's going to want to stay here, and that would be good for us.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

About damn time we’ve said it and not meant it as a joke!

Speaking for myself, since I've been saying it. It is no joke. There is an ironic call back to past coaches who have said the words, but the irony is that now I mean it!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hopper915 said:

PP%= 28.6%

PK%=88.9%

This. The goal is for special teams to index to 100% or better when added together. 117.5 is amazing. It's probably unsustainable, but even if it stays close, nice.

They say the PK is more important, and that may be true, but I'd argue for this team and this fan base the PP is more important. It is a new optic. It says, elite talent. It bumps up scoring. It fixes an old old sore. 

PP's get hot and cold, but ours isn't just scoring, it's passing the eyeball test of, well, passing. We are moving the puck like the best PP's do. To me that suggests it can continue to be very good, and that would be fun.

Just as an aside, we don't win any of the past three games without a PP goal. Our prior PP's would not have scored in all of them and frankly would have been likely to score in one of them.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, remkin said:

Re-reading the thread after watching the game on DVR late. Lot of good points, but this one strikes me. Not only Dougie, but Pesce too. Both had been either on the block or at least in the rumor mill, and right now I agree it is so good we kept them both. Of course sans DeHaan and Faulk every bonefide top 4 D man is even more important, but that aside, Pesce is still a rock back there. Dougie though, may have found a home. I haven't gotten through the whole thread yet, so someone may have commented on this, but Dougie has a sort of different personality, and the ovation the crowd gave him after the game and the way Brind'Amour handles guys and the room we have just seems to fit him. And when Dougie is feeling it, he is a pretty elite D man. I think this might matter when it comes to re-upping him. I'm guessing he's going to want to stay here, and that would be good for us.

I commented on Dougie in the post-game Bolts thread rem, something like this, but mine was on the postgame interview that Maniscalco did and the look on Dougie's face says it all. This guy, and all his rumored quirks, HAS found a home with us Jerks, and what better one than this. He was very close to tears I believe as the fans were yelling his name. I am so happy for this as I've had his jersey since day 1.

Edited by KJUNKANE
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, hag65 said:

Until otherwise proven we are an elite team.

Last season Eastern Conference finals team.  Team that just beat the 2 eastern conference division champs in a back to back.   Undefeated team.

This is now my position.

Agree. The most likely thing was that we were far more likely to be the team that played Jan - ECT, since that was a long run and the most recent play of this team. But there was always the question of whether the changes or just time would lead to a different team showing up. These 3 games is the same team, if not improved. That team was on a 118 point (or something like that) pace. This team is on a 164 point pace. OK, I keed, but this team is playing like a team that could push well past 100 points. Not just the wins, but the game. And that's with our best player and a few others not in their groove yet. 

1 hour ago, super_dave_1 said:

This is indeed an exciting time, and we are built for the future.  Look at the ages on the roster.  Only 4 players 28 or older (2 at 31yo are the oldest). 10 are 25 or younger.  That's half the roster.

Capture.thumb.PNG.e8205bceb2292373d6802e6e0a106eb6.PNG

And the pipeline. Oh the pipeline. And the 2 picks in the first three rounds next year. 

I posted a bit on some of the guys in the system in the "in the system" area, but I just realized  I forgot to add Dominik Bokk in there. 

If we were a stock I'd buy a lot of it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, remkin said:

Dougie though, may have found a home. I haven't gotten through the whole thread yet, so someone may have commented on this, but Dougie has a sort of different personality, and the ovation the crowd gave him after the game and the way Brind'Amour handles guys and the room we have just seems to fit him.

Yep, the chant was a little humbling for him I think. Don't think he thought he'd be a rockstar in this market last December. And for me, it hasn't just been scoring but I think he took on Tripp's moniker of "digging in" on the backend. I sit behind our D two periods and I notice him willing to take more hits than early on last year to at least move a puck out of high danger. And he also seems to be thinking more conservatively regarding the up ice breakout pass, and concentrating on NOT making the giveaway that creates high danger. I have to think Roddy's handling of him and his high profile role has helped him make the right adjustments.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

This. The goal is for special teams to index to 100% or better when added together. 117.5 is amazing. It's probably unsustainable, but even if it stays close, nice.

They say the PK is more important, and that may be true, but I'd argue for this team and this fan base the PP is more important. It is a new optic. It says, elite talent. It bumps up scoring. It fixes an old old sore. 

PP's get hot and cold, but ours isn't just scoring, it's passing the eyeball test of, well, passing. We are moving the puck like the best PP's do. To me that suggests it can continue to be very good, and that would be fun.

Just as an aside, we don't win any of the past three games without a PP goal. Our prior PP's would not have scored in all of them and frankly would have been likely to score in one of them.

Looking on NHL.com they have our PP at 33.3%, essentially tied for #5 in the league.

OK, as I watched the first periods of this game I thought I'd be coming on here and posting about how the story is that just a couple of mistakes can cost you, and how it is so tiring that a team like Tampa can barely show up, bury 3 goals on a few shots and walk out with a win. And all of that is true. But it's not the story. 

The story for me is that this team's ability to come back on 3 solid teams with 3 outstanding goalies, is a clear indicator of how much depth of talent we have. 

Here's the thing. We are not yet firing on all cylinders. We are getting to our smothering forecheck and dominant possession game, but we are still not consistent at finishing or tight D zone. We are #19 in shooting %. Not terrible, but we will be better. We are not filled with Tampa-like snipers, but we have more finish to go with our Finnish than #19. Aho, Dzingel, and Neiderrieter will start scoring goals. I think Foegele is off a bit, and even though he's been good, I think Svech has another couple of levels, to name just a few.

Also, does anyone keep a stat on most pipes hit? The past 3 games seems like a lot of pipe and out shots. 

On the  D side. Necas heard footsteps and coughed one up, and Aho had a very weak clear attempt both of which led to Tampa goals. I think that will get better too. 

So, we have less D zone mistakes and get to that next level of finish, and it's going to be fun.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, threeman33 said:

Stamkos has to say this, and he has plenty of good points as did Johnson.

But I believe the Cane's D had a factor in it after a shaky first period that saw some uneven play from our forwards back checking.  And the Cane's puck possession (a simple game) was outstanding.  

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 1