The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
legend-1

Canes vs. Islanders Oct 11th 7:30 PM

I enjoyed this game. I keep seeing that Haula move to the net. Big time hockey has arrived.

• Like 2

Didn't participate during the game because I was too tired to pick up a keyboard.  My takeaways.

- Svech is ridiculously dangerous out there.  Other teams have to respect him for his forecheck and shot.  Turns out he has mean playmaking skills and their respect for the other aspects of the game have opened up his playmaking game.

- New guys!

- Aho and Nino: they are mad at themselves for not participating enough on the score sheet.  It will come.  They have motivation.

- Mrazek continues to be good enough.  Maybe not all world, but good enough for this team.  I'm not going to completely ding him on Johnny's shot.

- Johnny's antic of blowing the smoke off his gun probably led to some motivation for the Canes

- Pesce's interview was eye opening.  "Management (yes, he included them all) is letting us (D) play up their in the weird areas."  I've noticed that when that happens, the F's have had discipline to cover for the hot D boys.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

Great win.  We're 5-0 and Aho only has 1 point all season and Nino has no goals but he has 3 assists.  Nino may be on the verge of breaking out.  He had a really good game last night (2 assists and his line was all over the ice last night).  Can you imagine how better this team will be when Aho and Nino start getting hot?  Wow.  Scares me to think about it. 

Stop the penalties.  Our PK is getting work and is a tad better this year than last year at this time and our PP is much better last year.   I think overall as the season goes on our PK will be even better than last year (it's only 5 games old).

Something about Haula's play this year tells me he's going to be comeback player of the year in the NHL.  He's on fire and with his net front on the 2nd PP unit he's going to create a lot of goals on screens and get a lot of garbage goals. 

Hamilton will likely have 20 goals this year.

I like what Brindamour said about the 5-0 start.  He said it's irrelevant.  We're just trying to win the the day.  I love that.  Don't even focus on the record.  Just focus on each day and trying to win.  Now, I know we're not going to win every game but with the way we're playing, I really don't want us to lose a game, but at the same time, when we do get our first loss, how will we respond to that loss next game.

Right now we've beaten some really good goalies: Price, Holtby, Bobrovsky, Greiss (whom owns us) and we get at least 3 on each of them.  We don't have a game yet of scoring LESS than 3 goals.  It shows you how good offensively this team is right now.

Don't slack off tonight against Columbus.  They may be 1-3 of the year but they've always given us fits. 

It was nice to finally see us beat Greiss in the regular season.   Win tonight and make it a great weekend heading on the road trip.

I know it's early but this team is far and away better than last years and it's been fun to watch them play.

8 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

From the live view, in the third, Rod was able to change forwards on our cycles at will because the team was so dominant on the puck.  

And that's how you protect a lead: play in their end.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

It appears serious injury may have refocused the drive and motivation of Haula, a very good player even before injury and turned him into a beast. HE'S FEARLESS in dirty ice at a level no Canes forward has equaled in many a year. I'd say sniper but he wants to score from closer in than snipers do. And he's an All World interview. As well spoken and comfortable as he is at poking pucks into the net. Some called it a gamble signing, but I'm inclined to think RB sized him up pretty well in the character and motivation department. He sure as hell fits into what Roddy wants done.

This team is generating traffic in front like it never has before, and he's a big reason. I'd be very surprised if part of the vetting process for both him and DaZee wasn't this question: Will you own the slot?  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

It appears serious injury may have refocused the drive and motivation of Haula, a very good player even before injury and turned him into a beast. HE'S FEARLESS in dirty ice at a level no Canes forward has equaled in many a year. I'd say sniper but he wants to score from closer in than snipers do. And he's an All World interview. As well spoken and comfortable as he is at poking pucks into the net. Some called it a gamble signing, but I'm inclined to think RB sized him up pretty well in the character and motivation department. He sure as hell fits into what Roddy wants done.

This times ten.  Agree with everything you said.

Favorite new indulgent post game ritual. Watching opponent players and coaches post game interviews on NHL.tv. Most used verbiage: "speed." "Aggressiveness". "That's a really good hockey team over there". "we couldn't match their _______!" .....The blank with a lot of fill ins. 🥂🥂 FUN times to be a Caniac.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

Right now we've beaten some really good goalies: Price, Holtby, Bobrovsky, Greiss (whom owns us) and we get at least 3 on each of them.

I dislike that the one guy you left out was probably the best goaltender we've faced yet.

• Like 2

Oh, one other good stat about this game— Attendance was 14,875.  Not including opening night, last season it took until December 22 to have a game attendance top that mark (most Canes home games were in the 10,500 - 11,500 range during that October-December span).  

• Like 1

Wow. Just Wow. How long we have waited for this moment? Well...some of us have been on here for a long long time trying to find a ray of hope in the muddled mixed play of yesteryear. No more. Now is the time to rejoice and soak it in. We have one of the legitimately best teams in the NHL. All of the love the media throws on Las Vegas? We are in many ways, Vegas East. Of course we're our own thing, don't take it wrong, it's a big complement. The point is that we're legit. I know that makes some people uncomfortable, but I'm going to start owning and enjoying it. We are for real. This team is insanely deep, and plays a perfect style to take advantage of it. This team just keeps coming at you. All 4 lines, all 6 D men, just about all the time. 

The thing is, we played this way most of last year, but really dialed this play in for the previous 5 months including playoffs. The other thing is that this 5 game streak has been against 5 very good teams and goaltenders. Obviously I'm not saying we're going to go 82-0. 80-2 maybe, but not 82-0. But I am saying that this is a slam dunk playoff team. 

"But it's only 5 games", they say. Don't offend the hockey gods, blah blah blah. No, it's not just 5 games. It's been over 60 games. That is enough sample size. This team will have some down patches. We may not win the President's Cup. But the playoffs? Make your hotel reservations. It's not just that we're firing on all cylinders, because the Aho and Nino cylinders are not in full sync yet, it's that we have sooooo many cylinders. 

Dzingel hit his second cross bar last night yet still has 4 points and 2 goals in 5 games.  We have seven players at .8 ppg or higher. M'boy Necas had 3 points in 5 games. Did anyone have Svech on 130 points this season? 

Who has been bad? Nino? No, he's making plays and getting danger chances, he's a good shooter, his points will come. Aho? No, maybe pressing a bit, but he's been a slow starter and he's looking better and better, and he's never bad. Foegele? Well I wanted to see more offense, but he's gritty and shaking things up, and it probably it still to come. Goat? Come on, one NHL game with 4th line minutes? Edumdson? Oh heck no, that guy has been amazing. With all of our high powered offensive D men (D have scored in every game), this guy has been the rock, and must feel like that to the opposition. He has been much better than I thought. 

Just go down the roster. No passengers. Lots of guys up to par, and more guys showing their stuff. 

Could it fall apart. Anything's possible. But the only way I see it would be if our goaltending went south. But on that, just remember that goalies tend to struggle early, and that we have one, maybe even two really viable options in the AHL. 

So...:D is what this is. After all of these years of average at best, the best is now and it's way above average.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Red_Storm said:

Oh, one other good stat about this game— Attendance was 14,875.  Not including opening night, last season it took until December 22 to have a game attendance top that mark (most Canes home games were in the 10,500 - 11,500 range during that October-December span).  

And it's back to back weekend games. Those tend to split the crowd. I'm going tonight. 

While the early returns are encouraging I am still curious to see how we will play against the “heavy” teams like Boston and St. Louis. I think Anaheim fits in that category as well so we should know pretty soon...