The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
legend-1

Canes v Blue Jackets Oct 12th 7 PM

1 minute ago, AWACSooner said:

I seriously want to know who hates us at NHL scheduling and if there’s any way to address the crap B2B scheduling they seem to put us in...take a look at the weekends in March!

It's crazy.  If I remember correctly we had a ton of back to backs last year too, most than any other team I believe.  I mean look at Arizona, I counted, they only have 13 B2B's this year.  13 and we have what, 17!!

30 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

It's crazy.  If I remember correctly we had a ton of back to backs last year too, most than any other team I believe.  I mean look at Arizona, I counted, they only have 13 B2B's this year.  13 and we have what, 17!!

I’m not quibbling with your point, but I wonder if they schedule fewer B2Bs in the Western Conference? Travel distance is so much farther. It would be a super competitive disadvantage if say Nashville had to play a home game then fly to Arizona, California or Western Canada for a game the next day. Or the other way around. But I’m not kidding myself, the league is never going to do the Canes any favors, scheduling or otherwise. 

Uh, I'm just sayin'... Perhaps the Canes have a part in this too.  I think they have a preference for weekends to get butts in the seats.

Also the key on back to backs is whether the other team is rested. I think a lot of ours the other team is back to back also. As Columbus was.

2 hours ago, remkin said:

We go 5-0, come out flat and lose by one goal. Even mentioning the panic button is just, well, :coollaugh::rofl::coollaugh::spin:.

Blow the team up! We suck! Fire Rod. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, surfzone365 said:

Blow the team up! We suck! Fire Rod. 

LOL.  But that is how some fans are on other boards regarding this team after one stinking loss. If I remember correctly, didn't we lose one game last year too? Didn't every team lose 1 game?

5 hours ago, surfzone365 said:

New “fans” were my guess 😏

3 hours ago, remkin said:

We go 5-0, come out flat and lose by one goal. Even mentioning the panic button is just, well, :coollaugh::rofl::coollaugh::spin:.

How quickly it is forgotten when a 'stinker" for years would render a 6-2, 5-1 demoralization loss. And from 110 I didn't see a stinker, rather a diminished pace and a Torts team putting up a defensive effort to clog up the passing lanes effectively. Were we sharp, by no means. Were we, in a diminished from superlative capacity, still in the game and putting up effort to scrape out a point(maybe even 2) late, by all means. The very reason I don't care to follow the board in game is the such immediate negativity and woe is us reaction(so common to social media generations) to plays and mistakes that happen in every single game on the planet. Hockey is a game of mistakes and capitalization upon them and its that way across the board for all. I would think that a playoff run and start to this season, and the program in place/Roddy system, cap spending, etc, etc, etc, would be a deterrent to the OMG reactionary crowd, and the reality set in that the franchise in general has turned a huge corner, and will be competitive for the foreseeable future. For STH longtimers and we who live out of market and support as much as logistically possible with travel, I have to think most of us, view the relevancy and franchise notice around the league with more perspective and appreciation, and see games without so much emotional drivel as goes on here during live play. Nonetheless, the on ice product has markedly returned, and there are SOLID people, players and a knowledgeable fan base to carry it forward in place. Personally, I'm thankful for the games, a competitive team, and great fans to enjoy it with. That's where you find the value of season tix, travel expenditure, and the fun of sports entertainment.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

How quickly it is forgotten when a 'stinker" for years would render a 6-2, 5-1 demoralization loss. And from 110 I didn't see a stinker, rather a diminished pace and a Torts team putting up a defensive effort to clog up the passing lanes effectively. Were we sharp, by no means. Were we, in a diminished from superlative capacity, still in the game and putting up effort to scrape out a point(maybe even 2) late, by all means. The very reason I don't care to follow the board in game is the such immediate negativity and woe is us reaction(so common to social media generations) to plays and mistakes that happen in every single game on the planet. Hockey is a game of mistakes and capitalization upon them and its that way across the board for all. I would think that a playoff run and start to this season, and the program in place/Roddy system, cap spending, etc, etc, etc, would be a deterrent to the OMG reactionary crowd, and the reality set in that the franchise in general has turned a huge corner, and will be competitive for the foreseeable future. For STH longtimers and we who live out of market and support as much as logistically possible with travel, I have to think most of us, view the relevancy and franchise notice around the league with more perspective and appreciation, and see games without so much emotional drivel as goes on here during live play. Nonetheless, the on ice product has markedly returned, and there are SOLID people, players and a knowledgeable fan base to carry it forward in place. Personally, I'm thankful for the games, a competitive team, and great fans to enjoy it with. That's where you find the value of season tix, travel expenditure, and the fun of sports entertainment.

I do give Columbus credit.  They played shut down hockey after they grabbed the lead and at times during the game they looked 'faster' than us, which I found odd because we are a fast team.  We blitzed the Islanders with our speed.  I guess we were a little gassed from the B2B because when I watched the game our players looked slow from the start like they were running on fumes at times, either that or CBJ's defense was just that good the entire game.  CBJ had a B2B too with travel so can't really use that as an excuse.  Korpisalo played great.  CBJ has always given us fits so I was not surprised this game was as close as it was.  It could've gone either way.  Very evenly matched.  Just got to get a win on their ice a week from this Thursday as payback.  If we lose, might as well lose a close one rather than getting blown out IMO because when you lose a close game it tells the fans we gave it our best but came up short.

Gotta get off to a good start on this road trip.  I know it's early, but it's important they get a point, if not a win in LA.  Get back on track.  This road trip includes another B2B so survive these three games and then recharge the batteries.  After Friday don't play again until the following Thursday at CBJ.

1 hour ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

If I remember correctly, didn't we lose one game last year too? Didn't every team lose 1 game?

I'm using your post to make a wider point, not really meaning to pick on you as much as it might seem. This is really to all of those fans on other boards and to the broader uncertainty out there. There is a built in fear based on all the years past. I get it, but that doesn't make it more accurate, really it's a bias.

The difference between the start of last year and the start of this year is so different that last year's start is, IMHO, irrelevant. At the start of last year Svech was a wide-eyed 18 year old rookie. To start last year TT, while very respectable, and very good, was coming off a 64 point season, and Aho a 65 point season. Victor Rask, coming off of a 31 point year was looking to have a worse one (and there was no Nino). To start last year we still had a guy we call Mongo, and Mrazek was coming off a season so bad that he career would have ended here if he had been below average. Those were our goalies. Last year, while we loved the ultimate Captain, Brind'Amour was as green as a head coach as Svech was as an NHL player, and having never even head coached a Junior hockey team. We had just traded Lindholm and Hanifin, and Hamilton was shaky and had not arrived into anywhere near the form we see today. 

Last year, we looked back to a previous year where the Canes had fallen off the pace, and were back in the mushy middle for the millionth time, finishing with 83 points at #21 in the NHL. They had a season goal differential of -28. They had not proven they could even sniff the playoffs. That's what last year's fast start team was coming off of. 

This year's team, is building off of a 45 game run to end the season that was third best in the league (or was it second), followed by a defeat of the SC champs, and a run to the ECF that continued that 45 game winning pace until Boston. This year's team is playing the same game that did all of that. They haven't perfected it, but for those 5 games, they did get to it. But this year's team is better than last year's team.

This year's team now has two historical ppg players in Aho and TT. This year's team has Nino instead of Rask. This year's team has Hamilton at his best, and Gardiner. This year's team is missing J Williams (for now) but picked up three players to replace him: Dzingel, Haula, and Necas. This year's team has a Svech that is better, stronger, more confident and at least at the moment on a 109 point pace (so is Dougie). This year's team has a healthy Jordan Staal, though I guess so did the start of last year's team. This year's team is also getting offense from Slavin and Pesce at a rate way higher than historical. This year's team has Warren Foegele and Lucas Wallmark past their rookie seasons. This year's team has a Mrazek who did what he did over most of last year and playoffs. 

This year's team is the continuation of the proven success of last year, only improved. 

Yes, anything can happen. The mighty do fall. Etc. And I get people's need to be cautious, and need to see more to believe for real. But this year the optimism is based on facts and proven results over many many games in many conditions, including the playoffs. I'll get out my huge bowl of crow pie if I'm wrong, but this year's start, while the same on paper, is very different. Last year's start hinted about what this team might become. This year's start is confirmation of what this team is.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, remkin said:

I'm using your post to make a point, not just to contradict your point. To the broader uncertainty out there. There is a built in fear based on all the years past. I get it, but that doesn't make it more accurate, really it's a bias.

The difference between the start of last year and the start of this year is so different that last year's start is, IMHO, irrelevant. At the start of last year Svech was a wide-eyed 18 year old rookie. To start last year TT, while very respectable, and very good, was coming off a 64 point season, and Aho a 65 point season. Victor Rask, coming off of a 31 point year was looking to have a worse one (and there was no Nino). To start last year we still had a guy we call Mongo, and Mrazek was coming off a season so bad that he career would have ended here if he had been below average. Those were our goalies. Last year, while we loved the ultimate Captain, Brind'Amour was as green as a head coach as Svech was as an NHL player, and having never even head coached a Junior hockey team. We had just traded Lindholm and Hanifin, and Hamilton was shaky and had not arrived into anywhere near the form we see today. 

Last year, we looked back to a previous year where the Canes had fallen off the pace, and were back in the mushy middle for the millionth time, finishing with 83 points at #21 in the NHL. They had a season goal differential of -28. They had not proven they could even sniff the playoffs. That's what last year's fast start team was coming off of. 

This year's team, is building off of a 45 game run to end the season that was third best in the league (or was it second), followed by a defeat of the SC champs, and a run to the ECF that continued that 45 game winning pace until Boston. This year's team is playing the same game that did all of that. They haven't perfected it, but for those 5 games, they did get to it. But this year's team is better than last year's team.

This year's team now has two historical ppg players in Aho and TT. This year's team has Nino instead of Rask. This year's team has Hamilton at his best, and Gardiner. This year's team is missing J Williams (for now) but picked up three players to replace him: Dzingel, Haula, and Necas. This year's team has a Svech that is better, stronger, more confident and at least at the moment on a 109 point pace (so is Dougie). This year's team has a healthy Jordan Staal, though I guess so did the start of last year's team. This year's team is also getting offense from Slavin and Pesce at a rate way higher than historical. This year's team has Warren Foegele and Lucas Wallmark past their rookie seasons. 

This year's team is the continuation of the proven success of last year, only improved. 

Yes, anything can happen. The mighty do fall. Etc. And I get people's need to be cautious, and need to see more to believe for real. But this year the optimism is based on facts and proven results over many many games in many conditions, including the playoffs. I'll get out my huge bowl of crow pie if I'm wrong, but this year's start, while the same on paper, is very different. Last year's start hinted about what this team might become. This year's start is confirmation of what this team is.

Agree with everything you said.  My only concern is this: Even though we made the playoffs last year we had an atrocious November through mid December.  Now, I know it was new faces and everything but it seems like from many fans this team seems to start well and then fade around November just like last year.  Fortunately, they dug themselves out of a hole.  Now, the question is this and I'll try to word it in a way to make sense:  Is the November-early December struggles this team seems to go through every year some sort of bad karma this franchise has that can not be shaken no matter what or was it due to the team not being as good then as it is now in regards to roster and overall coaching?  I mean, we are much deeper and improved in every aspect.  Last 50 games (not counting playoffs) Brindamour as coach is 35-13-2 (that's more wins than TB and Boston, for now, in that time frame).  So, to me it could be a little of both. 

Again, I am sticking to my prediction: This team could win 50 games this year IF they stay healthy and avoid the November-Dec issues they've had in years past.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

38 minutes ago, remkin said:

This year's start is confirmation of what this team is.

Exactly. While only 5 games, it was a consistent 5 games of effort, high end skill plays, and pushes in 2nd and 3rd and OT from a team in the learning curve of expecting to play that way. And lucky or adrenaline based runs don't usually last for more than a game or two. They won't alway play great, but it is the indication of a group that knows it now has their own and a fanbase's expectation to REMAIN at least moderately consistent at a level better than average. It points out the differences you highlight in last year and this year. All the new things in play, ie. Youth, inexperienced coach etc, last year, are now moot and for better or worse, the situation has graduated from a group thinking it could compete, to a team, with the quickly maturing additions from both years, that knows it's supposed to be good. Like you, I'm convinced they will be. And keeping no crow in the cupboard for now.

Edited by 2ndsacker

I really don't think we'll see a big sag. This road trip will be a good gauge. I'd like us to get them all, but really 5 points of the 8 available would be 2-1-1, leaving us 7-2-1. But even 1-2-1 leaves us 6-3-1 with two home games left to finish out the month. 

The schedule itself does play out interestingly. November is a pretty decent month. It's spaced out pretty well. 7-8 home to away. I will say this. I expect us to have a very good November. Not just because of the even spacing, but the teams. We finish with a home Washington, away Tampa back to back, so that's not great, but the rest of the month we face very beatable teams. 

Just looking at the schedule itself, December is brutal. 5-8 home away. A big, bad West coast trip with Edmonton (now undefeated), VAN, CGY, WPG, and COL. Then that first game back after a mega road trip (hard to win) vs Florida followed by a game in Toronto. Really, that 7 game stretch is so brutal, that we would do well to be well in the lead before that. But I think we will have a big lead by then.

If we are cleanly in a playoff slot as the New Year starts, we are golden. The entire month of January save 2 games is at PNC, and the far west coast swings are done. 

Thing is, it's more how we play than the schedule. And that's what has me smiling!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

The time zone differences probably account for some of the discrepancy as there are the CBA restrictions on how many games in a given time.

You only need to be +1 after 7 games to be on a 94 point pace.

We are +4 after 6 games.  We're on a 137 point pace.

If we are +4 after 28 games we are still on a 94 point pace.  That means if we go .500 over the next 22 games (11-11) we are still on a reasonable playoff cutline pace.

You don't have to win them all.

• Like 2