The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Los Angeles Kings - Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 10:30 PM

California Dreamin'

CanesLogo.thumb.png.9c15d8aca43c282fdc2d86bed3d39439.png  Vs  KingsLogo.thumb.png.0ab7ad59dc7c873ad4e3c73126b3b6e7.png

Staples.jpg.9c6480744ff71360494c990d1969ae31.jpg

Staples Center, Los Angeles, CA

October 15, 2019 - 10:30 PM

FSCR.jpg.5312cfabb6eaf491df7e034556d94eb2.jpg              FSW.jpg.53db75e75712e36c57701d05e3c81234.jpg

Here we are! It's our first Western trip of the year. The Carolina Hurricanes (5-1-0) will kick off the season's first notable foray outside the Eastern Time Zone when they visit the Los Angeles Kings (2-3-0) Tuesday night at Staples Center. Carolina will look to rebound from a disappointing home loss to the Columbus Blue Jackets on Saturday night. The Kings lost 5-2 to Las Vegas on Sunday night in LA.

The Canes and Kings have played each other fairly even in recent years.  Both teams split last season's contests; LA taking the first meeting 2-0 on December 2, 2018 at Staples Center and the Canes crowning the Kings 6-1 on February 26, 2019 at PNC Arena. This is the typical case of two clubs going in opposite directions. Los Angeles would be hard-pressed to be considered a shell of their championship days earlier in the decade.  Carolina has risen from the ashes of obscurity into a real NHL threat.  The common denominator: Justin Williams, whom is playing for neither team at the moment.

Carolina has been playing spectacular hockey to start the season.  However, trips to the sin bin have been an achilles heel for them thus far.  Thankfully, penalty killing has been strong, but this will be something to watch and work on as the season progresses.  Another area to watch: Sebastian Aho. Personally, I am not worried as I feel the lad will find his groove soon enough. Many eyes will be on him, nonetheless, to be the factor we know he can be for the Canes.

Get your coffee, Red Bull, Monster, smelling salts, or whatever keeps your eyes open.  You'll wanna stay up for this one!

Carolina Hurricanes Stats Leaders - Source: NHL.com

CarStats1.thumb.GIF.1eaee43305c920878f34966a3b11861a.GIF

CarStats2.thumb.GIF.425ec372be6d2afb77d325a868c368e4.GIF

Los Angeles Kings Stats Leaders - Source: NHL.com

LAStats1.thumb.GIF.0e3215c82d0a0233a7d4a5891bdec167.GIF

LAStats2.thumb.GIF.c73426161adbedd4cd75b6f7ee69cfbb.GIF

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 6

If things get off to a not so great start, I'd like to see:

Svech-Staal-Turbo

Nino-Necas-Aho

Dzingle-Haula-McGinn

Foegele-Wallmark-Gibbons

Take some responsibilities off of Aho to try and focus him. Let Necas taste center. IMO he's been great so far.

55 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

If things get off to a not so great start, I'd like to see:

Svech-Staal-Turbo

Nino-Necas-Aho

Dzingle-Haula-McGinn

Foegele-Wallmark-Gibbons

Take some responsibilities off of Aho to try and focus him. Let Necas taste center. IMO he's been great so far.

Moving Aho to wing is a viable option but only if that line continues to struggle. I'm not sure Necas is ready to skate center and it could do more harm than good. Also Dzingle, Haula and Necas are our best line at the moment. I don't think you mess with success. I think it is up to Aho to find game. Your best player should be your best player no matter who he skates with and Nino, Aho, TT line has the talent. I say give them a few more games to get going

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Brindy after practice today (Monday)

Brindy Talk

Long trips are overrated.  Short is better.  Bonding comes from working through hardships, not long trips.

Aho could do better.   Line has created opportunities.  Some concern about giving up goals.

Likes Gibbons, proven guy played in the league, can be counted on.  Doesn't take a minute off.  Undersized, so he has to battle and I like that.

5-1 is great, but we can play better.  All about the next game.

Nino has been fine, lots of opportunities, just snake bitten.

We’re seeing a parity of options and (hopefully) balance that we haven’t seen before in some time. I’m not overly concerned about a couple players being quiet from time to time as long as others are stepping up and getting the job done. 

Seeing how they respond is entertaining in itself, and I think they will.

I guess Brind'Amour didn't really say why Goat went back down. Reading between the lines, he kept saying Gibbons plays hard and doesn't take a shift off. Maybe Gauthier did? Maybe just not having last change wanted a guy with NHL games under his belt for the road. Seems like the press avoided why Goat down and focused on why Gibbons up.

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

I guess Brind'Amour didn't really say why Goat went back down. Reading between the lines, he kept saying Gibbons plays hard and doesn't take a shift off. Maybe Gauthier did? Maybe just not having last change wanted a guy with NHL games under his belt for the road. Seems like the press avoided why Goat down and focused on why Gibbons up.

I didn't get to see Goat in preseason, but the Goat I saw vs what was being described in the preseason forum were two very different things. He looked extremely timid, at least to me.

Brindy did say Gibbons had a good camp and he has been in the show before. I get the impression Brindy wants experience and the ability to get maybe a couple more minutes from the 4th line.

It is my hope Goat gets more minutes and on a scoring line in the A. I don't think we have seen the last of him.

And to think I just got home from LA yesterday...should've stayed out there longer ;)

Don't take the Kings lightly, even though they just got stomped by VGK last night and probably won't make the playoffs.  They were easily the 2nd worst team in the league last year and SHUT US OUT in their barn.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OBXer said:

Moving Aho to wing is a viable option but only if that line continues to struggle. I'm not sure Necas is ready to skate center and it could do more harm than good. Also Dzingle, Haula and Necas are our best line at the moment. I don't think you mess with success. I think it is up to Aho to find game. Your best player should be your best player no matter who he skates with and Nino, Aho, TT line has the talent. I say give them a few more games to get going

I've been reading a lot about this; fans wanting to mess with the Dzingle-Haula-Necas line to get Aho going.  Right now this is our best line.  Don't touch it.  Aho has to snap out of it himself and I agree, I'd say give them a few games.  Before the CBJ game the Islander game was easily his best game of the season in regards to chances. 

Nino is starting to wake up because he's getting chances and he had two assists vs the Islanders.  Even though I'm concerned for both of them I do think it's only a matter of time.  They're goal scorers and goal scorers always find a way to score.  I just hope Nino does not have a repeat season last year when he was in Minnesota when he only had 9 goals in like 46 games before he broke out here with us.  I'm sure Aho is frustrated, I'm sure both are frustrated but they got to keep doing what they're doing. 

I'm guessing the goalie will be Quick and I hope we light him up pretty 'quick' tomorrow night and often.  Carolina has to come out with a better start than they did vs. CBJ.  Start the road trip off with a positive note.

In regards to the game, I don't know how I'm going to do it.  I work Wednesday of course as I'm sure most of us do.  Maybe, I'll go to bed my usual time and set my alarm to get up at 10:30, that way I can get some sleep before the game and then of course lights out immediately after it's over.  I could also catch some of the replay they show at about 6:00 in the morning on Wednesday morning.  This is what I hate about West Coast games.  Many fans on the EC are already asleep by the time there team plays out West.  I wouldn't think there would be many fans up tomorrow night that are Carolina fans, I could be wrong though.

I've NEVER been a coffee drinker so that's out of the question for me.

Don’t drink coffee anyway if you plan to sleep after the game is over. I can’t stay up because adrenaline alone would keep me awake for an hour after the game unless it’s a blowout one way or the other. That’s why God created the DVR!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dinz said:

Great GDT,  wonder if its Quick, or i dont know who the kings backup is..

Jack Campbell is the backup

Quick was bad last year and hasn't started off any better this year. I could easily see Campbell tomorrow.

and now I'm seeing LA/NJ trade rumors revolving around Quick so I think theres a decent chance we see Campbell.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, legend-1 said:

I didn't get to see Goat in preseason, but the Goat I saw vs what was being described in the preseason forum were two very different things. He looked extremely timid, at least to me.

I think you're right. It has to be hard to make that transition. That's why I think he'll get the yo-yo treatment until he breaks that timidity. 

There is always the hard to reconcile thing about not putting guys in the wrong roles when they come up. Since Martinook is the guy who went down, that's a 4th line spot. So, at least in theory, based on prior comments, a 4th liner should have come up rather than putting Gauthier on the 4th line and giving him low minutes, undoubtedly telling him "don't screw up". And expecting him to have the kind of confidence it takes to score in the NHL. 

It may make some sense to have given the kid a taste after his strong camp, but it also make sense to not keep him on the 4th line, but rather get back to top line minutes in Charlotte, and bring up a career 4th liner. 

I think I might have focused too much on Gibbons in the two preseason overmatched yutes games, because I wasn't impressed with him. But that's why I'm still not GM, despite all my applications for the job. In theory, it makes more sense to bring in a guy tailored for the job of the 4th line. 

16 hours ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I've been reading a lot about this; fans wanting to mess with the Dzingle-Haula-Necas line to get Aho going.  Right now this is our best line.  Don't touch it.  Aho has to snap out of it himself and I agree, I'd say give them a few games.  Before the CBJ game the Islander game was easily his best game of the season in regards to chances. 

Yes, keep this line together by all means. I'd like to see Svech play with Aho and Turbo. Both Nino and Aho are searching for their games. Keeping them together on the same line seems counterproductive. 

Nino has been getting chances all year. He truly is snakebitten. He just needs to get one and they'll come in bunches. Aho is off a bit. Part of that is our expectation of him as the best player on the ice. It's not that he's been bad, he just hasn't been a difference maker. I agree with the idea that he will be. I don't know if it's the big contract. Not getting a letter even after Martinook went down, or just his typical slow start, or something else, but he is a notch off and that is the difference between pretty good and dynamic. 

This trip would be a phenomenal time for him to find it. And no time better than this game for the entire team to show back up.

I'm seeing a few on here are balking at the time of this game, but I'm good to go. Ready for a new streak to start, led by Nino and Aho!! I don't have the concern about Aho that is appearing on here, this is a pattern we've seen since his 1st start for whatever reason? Maybe he needs this little trip to get him going?

Or maybe he wants Puljujarvi on board?

Edited by KJUNKANE

Well Puljujarvi is at 5 goals and a ppg and at the top of his team in Finland after 11 games, and the Oil supposedly like Gauthier. So it's not crazy. (Not saying I'd make that trade though).

• Like 1

I'd rather see Quick in goal and here's why.  According to many fans and with games I've seen the backup from the opposing team start we seem to make the backup goalie look like a Vezina winner.

2 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I'd rather see Quick in goal and here's why.  According to many fans and with games I've seen the backup from the opposing team start we seem to make the backup goalie look like a Vezina winner.

That was last year, and years previous. Hopefully those times are in our rearview mirror? Is a lineup out yet?

4 hours ago, remkin said:

Nino has been getting chances all year. He truly is snakebitten. He just needs to get one and they'll come in bunches. Aho is off a bit. Part of that is our expectation of him as the best player on the ice. It's not that he's been bad, he just hasn't been a difference maker. I agree with the idea that he will be. I don't know if it's the big contract. Not getting a letter even after Martinook went down, or just his typical slow start, or something else, but he is a notch off and that is the difference between pretty good and dynamic. 

This trip would be a phenomenal time for him to find it. And no time better than this game for the entire team to show back up.

Agreed.  I keep saying I think Nino will breakout before Aho because his all around game has been better.  Aho does NOT look like himself.  I know he's always started off slow but when was the last time in October Aho had 1 point (an EN goal) in 6 games. At times he looks lost on the ice.  Nothing like last year, which is what is concerning me.  I'm going to find that witch that put a curse on him and I'll let you fans know when that wicked witch is dead.☺️

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2