The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Los Angeles Kings - Tuesday, October 15, 2019 - 10:30 PM

I'm a bad fan.  I was so tired last night I completely forgot.  I came to this board for my morning reading and decided to just plow through this thread to get a feel for the game.   Ya'll are very entertaining.  :)

Nice job boys!

• Like 1

Just an FYI Aho got the goal on that shorty.  Apparently, the shot was redirected off his skate.  Just maybe that will get him going.  Great win.  Time to do it again tonight.  Just survive this west coast swing and then have  a well deserved semi vacation (6 days off after Friday).  Nino still snake bitten.  Had more chances in this game.

I have a feeling Reimer will be in net tonight.  He'll be facing another one of his former clubs.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

First Did not watch live-  5 Am comes to early.   However in watching the highlights it looked to be an entertaining and also nailbiter for some reasons.  Appears to follow what we expected for this team at least until they "figure it out.  Having the personnel and skill to cover up our areas for improvement is something we did not used to have.  And mostly importantly, good goal tending hides all.    On to the next.

1 minute ago, cc said:

First Did not watch live-  5 Am comes to early.   However in watching the highlights it looked to be an entertaining and also nailbiter for some reasons.  Appears to follow what we expected for this team at least until they "figure it out.  Having the personnel and skill to cover up our areas for improvement is something we did not used to have.  And mostly importantly, good goal tending hides all.    On to the next.

1st- was strong in first minute and a half then was lucky to hold on to the tie. 2 iffy penalties called.

2nd- dominated by the Canes. I think their 2nd shot was a 200 foot one that they used to relieve pressure. Missed some good ones to make it a more comfortable lead.

3rd- back and forth. I don’t feel like LA threatened to score until 2 later penalties. Tbh, I blinked and we only had 7 minutes left.   They may have been 2-3 whistles the first 13 minutes. Last 7 took the same amount of time as first 13.  

Ugly win is still a win.

• Like 1

Didn't watch, work and all.  Thanks to everyone who stayed up, good stuff.

Necas.  The kid belongs in the NHL and isn't going anywhere.  That third line is rocking right now.  What a beauty of a game winner!

Glad to see Mrazek come off that ugly .888 he was carrying around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hockeynjune said:

LOL, ugly but a "W". Glad it wasn't Taylor's fault. 

SMH at the Taylor jokes from last night.  The best comment was John. Tripp talked the banner and them covering it up. John was talking about seeing the fuss on social media.  “I saw the news about the banner. It had my attention for 3 seconds.”

Tripp was making it out the TS is a big Canes fan and watching from home. 

• Like 1

Nice bounce back game. A big woooooooo for all that stayed up. I wasn't one of you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coastal_caniac said:

Necas.  The kid belongs in the NHL and isn't going anywhere.

Necas is the new Svech. Little less power, more puck handling skill, and finding a real comfort level winging the half wall on the PP. The seam pass is finally a weapon in our arsenal. In a couple years the two of them may be the best linemates in hockey under 22 years of age. :yahoo: And I like that the little rough schooling Svech got from Ovi seems to have generated  some right nasty attitude in the lad. Complete with chirp and full blown mouthy, "I'm not a rookie anymore old fart. Not taking any of your crap"

It was a nice quality road win.

Get on the board early and hold the lead.

Keep the puck in their end and apply constant pressure, but not get crazy and out of position.

I thought the game was exciting, IMHO.

22 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

He is saying until Goat can do something more at this level, even on a fourth line, he will likely just be another guy that might make it somewhere else.

In the bigger scheme of things, I don't see the Canes trading for Puli.......;first of all, I would have to learn how to spell his name, which, of course, should be the primary reason for not making the trade.  Second of all, looking at the pool of $ that should be spent moving forward, I would surely like to see the Canes try and extend Haula, who is making a very nice impression.  Plus, I know how to spell his name.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2ndsacker said:

Necas is the new Svech. Little less power, more puck handling skill, and finding a real comfort level winging the half wall on the PP. The seam pass is finally a weapon in our arsenal. In a couple years the two of them may be the best linemates in hockey under 22 years of age. :yahoo: And I like that the little rough schooling Svech got from Ovi seems to have generated  some right nasty attitude in the lad. Complete with chirp and full blown mouthy, "I'm not a rookie anymore old fart. Not taking any of your crap"

I have been pumping Necas' tires for, well since Francis sat down after announcing him on draft day. But while I thought this kind of production was in his potential, I did not expect him to look this good this soon. There has been a move in the NHL to making that seam pass you mention. Ever since the coining of the term Royal Road to describe moving the puck across the ice to make the goalie move. Teams have always tried to make that pass, but lately it's really evident. Necas has that in his arsenal to the point that in a couple of years, if not sooner, he might be the best at it in the league. 

In the post game interview with Mrazek, Tripp mentioned that Alvarez who takes shots in practice said Necas has one of the best shots on the team. Considering he is a playmaking guy with disruptive speed, adding a shot, could move Necas up to the ppg range, which is star range. I mean he's at .71 ppg now. 

Necas scored .812 ppg in his rookie year in Charlotte, which would flatly project to .38 ppg in the NHL or about 30 points. BUT Necas was a rookie, so he's on the rise, and Necas has obvious special skill. He was creating space in NHL preseason and regular season games even last year. It seemed reasonable to project a rookie Svech-like total for this year or around 40 points, which is very solid second line production. He's on a 57 point pace now, which for a rookie would be amazing. 

Guys have runs, and cool off. I'm not sure Necas pushes 60 points, but if I were setting an over/under line on him if he plays 80 ish games, I'd go 55, and not be surprised if he beat that. That's a heck of an add for a team that is already getting huge contributions from additions Haula and Dzingel.

Anyways, running on a bit, but I've long held that our superstar Cadre could include Necas, and be Aho, TT, Necas, and Svech up front as well as Dougie and Slavin on the back. We have a lot of other very very good players, but that's a pretty good ultra core. 

Was this the first game we have won without a defensemen not being on the score sheet? Nice to know we can do that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, remkin said:

But while I thought this kind of production was in his potential, I did not expect him to look this good this soon

Yep. Seems to me he's found a comfort and belonging level sooner than Svech even did during the first full year. Playing with his line, a couple of quite seasoned guys as well, is maturing his personal expectation I think. The really soft touch on the slot pass last night said trust all over it, a subtle thing. Unexpectedly, but so far our best line night in, night out.

43 minutes ago, 2ndsacker said:

Yep. Seems to me he's found a comfort and belonging level sooner than Svech even did during the first full year. Playing with his line, a couple of quite seasoned guys as well, is maturing his personal expectation I think. The really soft touch on the slot pass last night said trust all over it, a subtle thing. Unexpectedly, but so far our best line night in, night out.

Of course, Necas had a full year in Charlotte, Svech started right off in Raleigh.