The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Anaheim Ducks - Friday, October 18, 2019 - 10:00 PM

Duck...Duck...Lose image.png.54d35c6584c0ed8b80320e155c9514b5.png!

CanesLogo.thumb.GIF.5ef3f54e0f15af8778884e7c62c70ff8.GIFVs DucksLogo.thumb.GIF.d5145613bc0b1a887c149b7e7f53a07c.GIF

image.png.ec81b86c073bd7b2bbdbabb07e11cbe4.png

Honda Center - Anaheim, CA

Friday, October 18, 2019 - 10:00 PM

image.png.df1c52de00fd5365b970095bc50f2015.png              image.png.224ca500b678fe9773ad3deba4fd0d08.png

What happens when pigs and ducks square off? Well, probably not much... However, there is an important hockey game on the Honda Center ice Friday night between the Carolina Hurricanes (6-2-0) and the "Mighty" Ducks of Anaheim (5-2-0).  Both teams are looking to keep their overall momentum going in the early stages of the 2019-20 campaign.

Carolina is coming off an ugly 5-2 loss to the San Jose Sharks on Wednesday night.  The Canes were beaten by the Kane('s) hat trick early on, and never really recovered.  On the flip side, the Ducks were on the better end of a 5-2 game Wednesday night at Honda Center as they took care of the not-too-shabby Buffalo Sabres. The Canes will be looking for another rebound game in an effort to make the three-game West Coast swing a success.

Both clubs split last year's match-ups in each other's barn.  Anaheim posted a 2-1 OT win in Raleigh on November 30, 2018.  Carolina responded a short time later on December 7, 2018 in Anaheim with a 4-1 win.

For the Canes, its penalties...penalties...penalties!! They need to get this dubious stat under control.  They accounted for two Sharks power-play goals (see Evander Kane hatty) and continue to be an overall albatross for the Canes in the young season.

This team has shown they can respond after a loss, and I expect nothing less this time.  Winning on the road in adverse conditions against quality teams defines what you're made of.  Rod will have the guys ready to go and I expect to hear a lot of "quacking" and "cracking" of the opponent.

Caneshit.thumb.GIF.f3d903b9c61ef8ff2285d5e36f119f7d.GIF

Edited by surfzone365
  • Like 6

In my stat surge given earlier, I found that Anaheim has one of the best 5v5 ratios in the league.  They are pretty stingy there. Also they are number 2 in penalties so we’ll have some options for on their PP. their PK is running at 84.6%.

I feel that we NEED this win.  After the boys effort vs San Jose I expect them to come out extra motivated tonight.  Last game on the trip before they're off for a week.  The one thing they are committing a lot of at this point (penalties) is fixable.  Lets hope they minimize the penalties tonight.  The officials seem to be calling more but we still need to minimize them.  We also need to get our PP going again.  It's in a mini slump right now.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

The one thing they are committing a lot of at this point (penalties) is fixable.  Lets hope they minimize the penalties tonight.  The officials seem to be calling more but we still need to minimize them

I hope you are right here Sportsfan, but for some reason Svech seems especially inclined to commit these infractions. Giving ANY opposing team at least 5 opportunities on average to solve out PK certainly puts us at a huge disadvantage, as shown by San Jose recently. Svech's buddy Ferland may have had a hand in helping him reduce these penalties last year, and if so, another reason that he get back soon?

BTW, any news on a "call up" with Gibbons going down yesterday? Haven't seen any replacement so does that suggest going with 7 Dmen with TvR activated?

Edited by KJUNKANE

35 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

BTW, any news on a "call up" with Gibbons going down yesterday?

I haven't seen any call up. I guess we will know more after the morning skate which will be early afternoon for us.

Maybe we go with 7 Dmen. This is from the Michael's game preview

The Hurricanes assigned forward Brian Gibbons to Charlotte on Thursday, leaving the team with 11 healthy forwards and seven defensemen, a group that includes Trevor van Riemsdyk, who is working his way back from shoulder surgery. Van Riemsdyk is expected to return to the lineup, as the Canes rotate through seven defensemen for the first time this season.

Yeah I have to think if a guy is flying to Anaheim we'd have heard by now. Sort of makes sense to go with 7 D in that TVR can come back and if he has any issues we still have a full complement on D. Also, nice to roll him out and not put anyone in the press box. We have 6 days till our next game after this, so we can leave it all out there tonight. And we can pick up a Checker forward before the Columbus game on the 24th any time in the next 6 days.

• Like 1

This would be a big win. Anaheim is the stingiest team in the league with one of the best goalies. (Man, we've faced a lot of good goalies so far). The Canes meanwhile seem to have slipped back into a little bit of "Old Hurricanes" managing to create shots but not score on this trip so far not counting empty netters. 

It's an interesting strategic situation. IMO we need to get back to our game. But the Ducks are hard to score on so keeping their score down is almost a must. They are #1 in goals against per game, but also #27 in goals for. 

The standard plan would be tight checking, try to eek out a one goal win in a low scoring affair. In the end just winning would be beyond fine. No matter how. Big break after this so go full on and beat another elite goalie.

Getting a couple of extra PP's would help. This game seems like one where discipline is a winner. Stick discipline and D zone coverage discipline.

We absolutely, 100% need to stop with the lazy minor penalties! We do that and we'll get even better! We keep letting teams stay in games by giving up PP goals. It's hard to drive the offense down a man. Let's be smarter! :) Go Canes!  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

Maybe we go with 7 Dmen. This is from the Michael's game preview

Guys, please explain me how it works during the game? They rotate dmen more often and somebody double shifted on the offensive side?

53 minutes ago, Caniac514 said:

Guys, please explain me how it works during the game? They rotate dmen more often and somebody double shifted on the offensive side?

That's exactly it. Rotate wingers through the 4th line. Typically rotate a bottom 3 of D men. Someone on D (see Fleury)  probably gets pretty low minutes. 

• Like 2

On occasions a Dman can be asked to skate as a forward but usually the 7th Dman is rotated in and out of the D pairs while the forwards double shift. Sometimes 7 Dmen will rotate in and out of different pairs giving the pairs different looks throughout the game. Tampa has done that. I suspect we will rotate the 6-7 Dmen. TVR is coming off an injury and can get back to game shape by skating limited and somewhat protected minutes. That's only a guess. Brindy could limit the minutes of another Dman

• Like 1

Projected lineup:  https://www.nhl.com/news/projected-lineup-carolina-hurricanes-anaheim-ducks/c-310245116. I know the Dzingel line has been good but I'd like to see a swap of McGinn and Necas. Perhaps the swap might get McGinn moving and also Necas could get the Staal line going.

Edited by slapshot02

I would assume TVR gets low usage tonight. To get him acclimated to the game and access his shoulder.  We may see this lineup for a couple of games or they could make assessment after this one to make a move during our 6 day layoff.  

Also gives us another PK based defender. Use Gardiner and Hamilton on the PP (which we should get plenty of time tonight) and have 5 defenders ready for the PK.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

It’s interesting, thank you an remkin.

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

On occasions a Dman can be asked to skate as a forward

Slavin can do that :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, remkin said:

This would be a big win. Anaheim is the stingiest team in the league with one of the best goalies. (Man, we've faced a lot of good goalies so far). The Canes meanwhile seem to have slipped back into a little bit of "Old Hurricanes" managing to create shots but not score on this trip so far not counting empty netters. 

It's an interesting strategic situation. IMO we need to get back to our game. But the Ducks are hard to score on so keeping their score down is almost a must. They are #1 in goals against per game, but also #27 in goals for. 

The standard plan would be tight checking, try to eek out a one goal win in a low scoring affair. In the end just winning would be beyond fine. No matter how. Big break after this so go full on and beat another elite goalie.

Getting a couple of extra PP's would help. This game seems like one where discipline is a winner. Stick discipline and D zone coverage discipline.

Every goalie is due for an off night.  Hopefully this will be Gibson's/Miller's off night.  Whomever is starting for them tonight.

I wouldn't call this the old Canes where they fire a lot of shots but get no goals as of yet.  Yeah, they fired 38 on Jones but they only had 23 shots in the LA game.  To me, I would need to see multiple games in a row of 30 plus shots on goal with 2 goals or less allowed.  That's just me though.  Hey, at least we haven't given up 50 shots on goal again.  That game was Reimer's best of the season to this point.  He stood on his head and only won because of him and of course scoring all those goals early.

Carolina needs to give it their all on the ice tonight.  I mean, play for their playoff lives or like it's a game 7.  It's not but my point is they're off for 6 days after this so no excuse for them to not give it their all in this game.  I know the 3rd game in 4 nights but I just think they NEED this win and they really need to come out with an urgency tonight.  Coming home after a successful CA trip would be awesome.  A 7-2 record after 9 games has a nice ring to it. 

Teams are evenly matched: Our PP is better, theirs is terrible.  They're PK is better than ours.  We both give up about the same amt of shots per game.  Their goalies have a better GA avg their ours do thus far.  Looking at that looks to be a good matchup tonight.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

45 minutes ago

Van Riemsdyk on rejoining the lineup: "It’s obviously great that we’re off to this start. It’s never as much fun when you’re watching. You’d rather be in the locker room a part of it, but hopefully we just keep it rolling tonight & have a positive end to this road trip.”

13 minutes ago, Sportsfan-1-2 said:

I wouldn't call this the old Canes where they fire a lot of shots but get no goals as of yet.  Yeah, they fired 38 on Jones but they only had 23 shots in the LA game.

I agree it's not to the point of the no finish past teams, but it was "a little" like that over the past two.  Some of that is travel, and back to back, but it's something I'd like to see get back to more than 1-2 goals per game. It's only been a couple of games, not worried, but was thinking it would be a nice night for a 5 goal night and that is less likely vs the Ducks.

Mainly just want to see us get a bit more back to our game whilst at least a few less penalties.

3 minutes ago, remkin said:

I agree it's not to the point of the no finish past teams, but it was "a little" like that over the past two.  Some of that is travel, and back to back, but it's something I'd like to see get back to more than 1-2 goals per game. It's only been a couple of games, not worried, but was thinking it would be a nice night for a 5 goal night and that is less likely vs the Ducks.

Mainly just want to see us get a bit more back to our game whilst at least a few less penalties.

I miss that Panther, Islander game (both games scored 5 or more).  I know it's hard vs the Ducks.  Boston scored 4 on them.  I'm not saying we will but it proves that Anaheim's goalies are 'human' and there defense has holes.  We just have to find them.  Hopefully we'll have a breakout game tonight because our offense has been stagnant since the Islander game after starting off hot.  But again, CBJ was the back end of a B2B, the LA game was travel and the San Jose game was B2B.  Maybe an off day is what they'll need to get their 'mojo' going again.  I keep saying this but I would love for Nino and Aho to get going.  I don't know much about them.  I know Aho is typically a slow starter (doesn't get going until November) except for last year but is Nino a streaky player offensively?