The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
surfzone365

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes Vs Anaheim Ducks - Friday, October 18, 2019 - 10:00 PM

2 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

You think not? He might hit like Ferland skating but that fight was better than I remember Ferland being in fights?

I kinda remember Ferland's fights being a bit more feisty than that, but I could be mis-remembering.

Still, not a bad fight by Edmunson. I'll take it if it inspires the team.

14 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

If we'd played like this from the start we probably wouldn't be digging out of a 4-goal deficit.

No doubt. Legs weren't there and you need no mistakes when that happens. Encouraging to see some of our game reappear when down that way.

4 minutes ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Does the snake have teeth? If not, wonder how much he got paid to let a snake bite him.

Well, I've never heard of "de-toothing" a snake, so I assume so, yes.

And I have no idea. I just found the gif.

19 minutes ago, Quackattack22 said:

Not at all impressed with the Canes...you needed a dive to get back into the game...refs gave you two goals...

Cool post BD58 version of the Ducks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Dirty hit, looked like boarding to me.

Take your homer goggles off bro...clean shoulder to shoulder hit...and no, puck was in the process of being released...hence, hooola, was eligible to be destroyed by Manson...

I stayed up to watch the game and I wish I hadn't.  That was terrible.  From the start of the puck they look disinterested.  That SHG should not have happened and Silfverberg's goal should not have happened.  A lot of breakdowns.  Mrazek was due for a bad game but I blame this more on the team in front of him than him.  Nice to see Fleury get his first goal.  Unfortunately, the fight had to wake us up a little but good to see we stick up for one another.  After the fight we showed life and actually started playing better than Anaheim but it was already too late.  The team looked really slow.  Brindamour even said the team had no flow and it was 'gross'  Anaheim was outskating us and everything.  I was really surprised and I was thinking to myself: Is this the Hurricanes, they're slow.  When this team is on they can skate with any team.

This is exactly what I was afraid of folks.  We get off a to a hot start beating everybody, including TB and now we can't score and the team looks completely different.  I don't want to scroll back through the posts but I think it was gocanesforever2003 that said what if this team was caught off guard by their quick start and after losing to CBJ of all teams they're starting to lose confidence in each other.  I don't think it's that, I think it's just a slump that every team goes through in the regular season.  Like I mentioned a while ago, teams will have stretches of poor play and every team is going to have a losing streak.  We have one thus far (2 games). The last 4 games including the win in LA we just haven't been playing with a passion or fire like the first five games.  A lot of players are pressing: Aho, Nino to name a couple.  These two have GOT to get going.  I know it's early but I'm getting tired of waiting.  Haula and Hamilton can't do it all unless someone clones them to where it's just Haula's and Hamilton clones skating on the ice. 

Anyway, with their play of late makes me wonder if the November-December collapse is coming causing us to have to dig out of yet another hole like we had to last year.  I hope not and they take these 6 days to work on a few things and maybe even tinker the top two lines at practice to see which works best.  Of all people McGinn does NOT belong on the top two lines.  I'd much rather have Foegele up there.  He was great in the playoffs last year and he deserves a shot to get more ice time to see what he can do.

According to Brindamour he's optimistic on Haula's injury and that he doesn't think it's that bad.  I hope he's right and we see Haula on the ice next Thursday.

Also, we only committed two penalties.  Hopefully, that's a good sign but it could also mean our overall play was horrible, so bad that we didn't commit any penalties.  Hopefully, the team will play better in CBJ, but of course I said this as well vs Anaheim and look what happened.

I also agree with Quackattack, the hit on Haula was clean, it's just unfortunate that Haula got injured.  It was similar to the hit Clutterbuck gave Van Riemsdyk in the playoffs last year.   Fortunately, for us, Haula wasn't holding his shoulder (injury is lower body) and he must've skated off on his own power.  I didn't see what happened when he got up because I think it went on a commercial break after the trainer came out so I don't know if he was helped off the ice or skated off on his own power. I did like our teams response to the hit however.

Edited by Sportsfan-1-2

We're a perimeter team again. Not willing to do the hard work to get to the middle and stay there, fanning on shots on the few times we do (looking at you, Neiderreiter) sacrificing possession at their blue line by dumping the puck deep instead of carrying it in (even with our own net empty and an extra skater!), and super sloppy through the neutral zone (where games are won and lost) all night long.

And I'm about fed up with Aho sliding the puck five hole on every breakaway. Change it up, SeaBass.

The Ducks looked good in every zone, were fast, and were hungry for every puck. We did not, and were neither.

Edit to add: Totally clean hit on Haula, his head was down a moment longer than is safe in that situation and he paid the price. I thought I heard John say upper, not lower body. Looked like ribs to me, he was crunched into the sill of the boards and clearly had the wind knocked out of him. Good to see Ed respond and fire the boys up, but that's a good hit in this or any other league all day long.

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1

Thoughts:

First, good job to those of you who stayed up the entire game to watch that flaming dumpster fire.  What is it about California that causes us to play like a hot mess every season?

Second, congrats Haydn on your first goal...but you and the rest of the blue line were the root cause of the loss when you decided to not even get off the bus til over halfway though the game. 
Petr had a bad game...Reimer had a bad one Wednesday night.  I’m withholding further judgement on the goaltending situation for a few more games.

Clean hit on Haula, hope he heals up before the BJ’s game.

I’ll give Nino credit for actually trying last night.  Aho?  Not so much.  I hope he just didn’t turn into Skinner 2.0.

If the Puljujarvi/Ho-Sang rumors are true, it had better happen during the next six days.  
Other than a few lines, I’m not seeing team chemistry yet and we need to fix that immediately, or else we’ll be back in our usual Nov/Dec slide.  
Ed is about the only guy willing to play physical from start to finish...rest of em are cream-puffing their way down the ice.

And can the mods please ban this Ducks troll?  There have only been two sets of fanbases in my pilgrimage that have been utterly rude and nasty to either myself or my family...and the Ducks are one of them.  Blues were the other.

Rod needs to knock heads together on a few things and right this ship fast, cause the last two games eerily remind me of or usual early season doldrums.

• Like 1