Svech missing a wide open net.

9 hours ago, CanesFan2003 said:

Are you kidding me?

9 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

Svech missing a huge wide open net...

9 hours ago, Caniac514 said:

:facepalm2:

I guess he made up for it.  😎

Was there last nite.  October, Tuesday, Western team -- a light crowd, but probably the best for those parameters in 10 years.

It was kind of a tense boring game the first 45 min or so.  Lots of phone checking by the crowd.  But everything changed after the lacross game broke out.  Svetch single-handedly:

• Fired up the crowd, big time
  • Fired up his team
  • Demoralized Calgary

It was all different after that goal, and life was good at the old hockey rink.

• Like 3

Morning everyone.  I could not believe that goal and like slapshot said the goalies reaction was priceless.  He basically said did he just do that to me, did that just go in?

Good news is besides the win is that we have one of our scorers getting hot.  Haula has cooled off a bit but Svech is getting hot.  Now, we have to get Aho and Nino hot and I know we don't play them again for a while but we have to beat CBJ this season too.

Calgary really played us well and I was thinking that we would get shut out tonight and it would be one of those nights and I'd be saying to myself (if we did get shutout), when the last time the Canes got shutout 1-0 on their home ice?  Anyway, SO didn't not happen.  Mrazek played well again.

Calgary looked fast too but it was nice to see us matching them.  This was one of the fastest games I've seen the Canes play this year.  Both teams had chance after chance in the first period.  Carolina got more to their game in the 2nd and third but even if we had lost 1-0 I really enjoyed watching that game.  Svech's first goal was the only way to beat Rittich at the time.  I knew it would be some fluky goal like that to get us on the scoresheet and Haula's screen on the PP goal was a thing of beauty.  Our PP is clicking at like 22.9-23.9 %.  Can't say our PP is horrible now like we were this time last year.  Our PK came through big when it counted, especially at the end of the game.  Got two more games now on this home stand against Detroit and NJ.   Very winnable games but Detroit beat us twice last year and NJ beat us twice last year (granted both their wins were in their barn).  These teams won't be a cakewalk and I hope Carolina comes prepared to play because it's a B2B.  They then go a one game road trip to Philly.

I also want to congratulate the team for tying the franchise record for wins (8) and points (17) in the month of October.  The last time this happened was the season we won the cup.  We were 8-2-1 in October in 2005.  Our home and road records are nearly IDENTICAL.  That team was 5-0 at home in October and 3-2-1 on the road.  This team is 5-1 at home and 3-2-1 on the road.  Very interesting.

Keep it going Carolina.

• Like 1

We stuck to the plan and to my observation really pushed it home in the 3rd.  Nice job by Captain JS to keep things on track and motivate.  His 65% FO not to be overlooked as compared to EL's 40%.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 2ndsacker said:

The ice in front of the net just opened way up when he has the puck behind it. After watching highlights tonight, Goalies will be asking their coaches "how do I defend THAT...lol

While I loved it and it was cool to see, that move is kinda like a wrap around.  It don't work many times, if it did you would see it tried more.

7 minutes ago, cc said:

While I loved it and it was cool to see, that move is kinda like a wrap around.  It don't work many times, if it did you would see it tried more.

I dont know how many times he tried it last year but at the beginning of the year interview as a rookie he said he was going to get a lacrosse goal. He basically Babe Ruth'ed the NHL

16 minutes ago, cc said:

The sneak attack is a much higher percentage play than either of them, holding the puck behind the net while deking from side to side just long enough that the keeper doesn't know which side you're on--and by the time he figures it out, the puck is sliding between his skate and the post, or under his leg. Last guy who could do it pretty much at will was Bobby Clarke.

And I'm really dating myself. Which is not to be confused with dancing with myself.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

Some Russian sport sites start that this is the first lacrosse style goal in NHL history

Too much Wadka.

team looks GREAT  this may the year we do it  , I also see how the flames are doing in year two bill peters 

Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. 

Late to the party! What a game last night against a good Calgary team. 

What else is there to say? Svech and Aho are getting better and better, while the rest of the team does their thing. Love where we're at and feel there is still room to continue getting better. 

12 hours ago, Red_Storm said:

Attendance 13,864, not bad for a Tuesday night versus a western conference Canadian team.

It looked and sounded like a lot more, especially after Svech went all highlight reel on us.

22 minutes ago, sleekfeeder said:

I'm not gonna lie. That win last night had some extra sweetness to it.

I wish they'd of started Skol clapping the moment they won, just to make sure Lindy saw it.

Was concerned for a while Lindy was feeding off the crowds boos and that would be the difference.

Edited by legend-1
  • Like 4

When Svech scored "The Goal" last night, Mrs. Feeder  thought that something awful had happened. She saw the expression on my face and the way I got up off the couch, and frantically looked around the room for our child, dog, cats, anyone and asked OMG what happened??!! Then of course I had to explain I just saw the goal of the year. She watched the replay and agreed. 

18 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

Svech is pretty good...

11 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

He might stick as an energy guy or something

But even if he doesn't stick right away he's still waiver exempt, so we can send him back and forth between Raleigh and Charlotte with no risk of some other team taking a flier on him and making a claim.  :thumbsup2:

Edited by LakeLivin

2 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

But even if he doesn't stick right away he's still waiver exempt, so we can send him back and forth between Raleigh and Charlotte with no risk of some other team taking a flier on him and making a claim.  :thumbsup2:

I know this was in jest but must he go to the OHL if he doesn’t make the team?  He is under 20 still.

40 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I know this was in jest but must he go to the OHL if he doesn’t make the team?  He is under 20 still.

I dunno, good point, lol.  But the important thing is, if we have to send him back to Barre we don't have to worry about anyone else plucking him off of waivers. :P

edit: on a serious note, what about sending an under 20 player down for a conditioning stint if needed?  Could he go to Charlotte, or would he need to go back to his junior team?

Edited by LakeLivin

28 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I dunno, good point, lol.  But the important thing is, if we have to send him back to Barre we don't have to worry about anyone else plucking him off of waivers. :P

edit: on a serious note, what about sending an under 20 player down for a conditioning stint if needed?  Could he go to Charlotte, or would he need to go back to his junior team?

Conditioning stint would be different.  They are on “loan”

12 hours ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Last guy who could do it pretty much at will was Bobby Clarke.

I used to watch Clarkie do that all the time, does that make me old?

• Like 1

Here's a question on Svech's very unconventional goal I've been thinking about and hope someone can answer. It 1st occurred to me at the time, but when I watched the recorded game after I got home, it was also brought up by Tracy. The issue about the puck being above the cross bar concerned me that the goal would be disallowed. However, my question is I thought that rule applied to pucks BATTED out of the air or redirected when the stick is above the crossbar. Svech's stick blade carried the puck thus was in constant contact with the puck, it was not batted. Thus, would that rule apply? 

I'd like to see deflections above the head being the only thing disallowed, it's a pretty skilled play to deflect a shot onto the net. I suppose that can't be a thing because everyone's head is a different height but still.