The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Canes @ Flyers (round 1). Tuesday, 5 November 2019

3 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

The Shaya Curse.

Can't blame this one on Shaya.  The Hurricanes simply didn't show up.  And against another division team, no less.  They don't correct his edit, they're going to deserve every bit of missing the playoffs.

Edited by realmdrakkar
typo
  • Like 2

What on earth is happening here?   Teams have figured out if they put relentless back pressure on the Hurricanes that we don't handle it very well.   New Jersey did the same thing.   Our "structure"....whatever that is does not work under these conditions apparently.   Wow I am not believing what I am watching.   Well on to the movie channel to see what's on there. 

That was a sloppy affair for the most part. I don't want to pick on one guy, but Staal looked horrid. Every puck that went to him was a turnover, couldn't make or take passes, and missed his PP shot from the slot. The whole team was off, but I wonder if he's playing hurt or something. Too much talent on this team to lay that out there. No panic, but time to tighten this up fast. And I agree that the 7 D men is not working. How is Gauthier doing in Charlotte. Why not give him a look? Bleh. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, remkin said:

That was a sloppy affair for the most part. I don't want to pick on one guy, but Staal looked horrid. Every puck that went to him was a turnover, couldn't make or take passes, and missed his PP shot from the slot. The whole team was off, but I wonder if he's playing hurt or something. Too much talent on this team to lay that out there. No panic, but time to tighten this up fast. And I agree that the 7 D men is not working. How is Gauthier doing in Charlotte. Why not give him a look? Bleh. 

Gauthier is pretty meh right now. He has points but his off the puck / 200 foot game is back to scary level.

20 minutes ago, PamlicoPuck said:

Glad I went to bed after the first period. Looks like we are going through another identity crisis.

Calendar flipped to November...like clockwork 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, remkin said:

I don't want to pick on one guy, but Staal looked horrid. Every puck that went to him was a turnover, couldn't make or take passes, and missed his PP shot from the slot.

Rem, with one or two games being the exception, I’ve had this opinion the entire season.  Last year, injury gap aside, he was consistent in the face off dot, threw his body around, and had way more consistency in his game.  This year has been a solid regression to the 17-18 season...

A few years ago, I was all aboard the “trade him” train...mostly because I felt his play wasn’t worth that monster contract JR laid on him.  If this play continues, even with the C, I can hear the train horn sounding in the distance.

11 hours ago, remkin said:

I don't want to pick on one guy, but Staal looked horrid. Every puck that went to him was a turnover, couldn't make or take passes, and missed his PP shot from the slot.

Maybe looks aren't deceiving.  He seems to have gotten a "surfer dude" look.  Hang loose, dude!

12 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Gauthier is pretty meh right now. He has points but his off the puck / 200 foot game is back to scary level.

☹️

12 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Given how craptastic the entire Chex team is playing right now, I’m not surprised at all.  
I’m beginning to hope a few trades are being discussed cause we need more consistent firepower...again!

I watched most of the game, not all. The game was ragged at times and we never seemed to get into any kind of flow. Without Haula and Martinook we really never had much of a net front presence or grit. That at least gives me some hope that when one or both return we will be a better team. At least play with more of an edge.

I didn't think the Flyers were that good. In the end they were better than us and I guess that is all that counts.

At the moment our best players aren't playing their best. That has to change. We are still in a good spot because of our early start but seasons can slip away with extended losing streaks. It is far from woe is me time but it is time to self examine and step up

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OBXer said:

I didn't think the Flyers were that good. In the end they were better than us and I guess that is all that counts.

Neither were the Devils...we are playing down to them

• Like 1

Meh, just a couple losses, no big deal.  We will be fine. When it becomes 4-5 in a row than I'll join the OMG whats wrong with this team commitee.  Until than, 2 and 3 game losing streaks will happen to every team in the league a few times this season.  

47 minutes ago, Danimal38 said:

Meh, just a couple losses, no big deal.  We will be fine. When it becomes 4-5 in a row than I'll join the OMG whats wrong with this team commitee.  Until than, 2 and 3 game losing streaks will happen to every team in the league a few times this season.  

I get it...but it’s the HOW we are losing these games...it reeks of attitude and lack of mental fortitude 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I get it...but it’s the HOW we are losing these games...it reeks of attitude and lack of mental fortitude 

Yeah maybe no J Willy and Martinhook in the room.   Still you'd think they would remember what it took last year that Willy taught them. 

• Like 1

I'm not concerned about the team's play or the leadership. Considering we were 6-7-2 on Nov 6th last year (with the leadership everyone can't seem to let go of in place) and the third worst team in the conference, I have NO issue with how the Canes are doing. So we laid an egg. It happens. It's also a long season. If you told me in September we'd be sitting where we are today, I'd have laughed. I'd have laughed even harder if you told me we'd be 4 games over .500, Haula would be leading the team in points/goals and we'd be doing it without Aho, who would only have 5 goals (2 of those empty netters). I was hoping for a .500 record by the end of October to keep us on pace for the season. This team is good and they're for real. That ridiculous run last year was not a fluke and it's carried into this season.      

20 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Can't blame this one on Shaya.  The Hurricanes simply didn't show up.  And against another division team, no less.  They don't correct his edit, they're going to deserve every bit of missing the playoffs.

You guys dumping on Shaya better get used to him....Doc Emerick ain’t getting any younger and we all know who the heir apparent at NBC is. I don’t see Tom Dundon spending an extra dollar to hire a broadcaster palatable to all of us here!

13 minutes ago, RickD_99 said:

I don’t see Tom Dundon spending an extra dollar to hire a broadcaster palatable to all of us here!

John’s heir ought to be the guy currently recovering from tumor removal...NOT Shaya

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

You guys dumping on Shaya better get used to him....Doc Emerick ain’t getting any younger and we all know who the heir apparent at NBC is. I don’t see Tom Dundon spending an extra dollar to hire a broadcaster palatable to all of us here!

Can we give the "Dundon is cheap" thing a rest?  Damn, he bought a first round pick for $6m

• Like 4