The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Canes @ Flyers (round 1). Tuesday, 5 November 2019

4 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Can we give the "Dundon is cheap" thing a rest?  Damn, he bought a first round pick for $6m

I soooo agree with this sd. I pointed out elsewhere that our owner comes under enough fire from outsiders, particularly the Francophile prudes, that fans of this team don't need to propagate the "cheapness" tag.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

You guys dumping on Shaya better get used to him....Doc Emerick ain’t getting any younger and we all know who the heir apparent at NBC is. I don’t see Tom Dundon spending an extra dollar to hire a broadcaster palatable to all of us here!

I'll never get used to him. Future broadcasts will be played with the volume turned off.

11 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Can we give the "Dundon is cheap" thing a rest?  Damn, he bought a first round pick for $6m

Yeah, time to put this one to bed. Spending close to the top of the cap ain't cheap.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slapshot02 said:

I'll never get used to him. Future broadcasts will be played with the volume turned off.

Years ago, when the NFL first started doing Thu night games that were on the NFL Network, there was a problem with the audio from the booth.  The whole first quarter was played with no narration.  They turned up the field and stadium sound a bit.  It was great.  I wish that there was a way to have that option for all games.  Just the sounds of the game.  I don't always need somebody explaining to me what I'm watching.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 2

On the thought of "dumping on Shaya" put forth, honestly, he needs no help? And God help us if he ever becomes the primary broadcaster, because he's just so monotone, there's no enthusiasm there? I put forth elsewhere that I'd much rather Abby broadcast than Shayla?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Years ago, when the NFL first started doing Thu night games that were on the NFL Network, there was a problem with the audio from the booth.  The whole first quarter was played with no narration.  They turned up the field and stadium sound a bit.  It was great.  I wish that there was a way to have that option for all games.  Just the sounds of the game.  I don't always need somebody explaining to me what I'm watching.

It's just my opinion and I can understand how some feel he isnt that bad. When you currently  have one of the best anything else is a let down. I agree with some that the big rig may be a better choice when he is healthy than to have the Curse do another game. In case it is Shaya the next time John is away, I am prepared.  

https://images.app.goo.gl/7qhmFiFhG9tjP3Hg8 

Edited by slapshot02

18 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

In that case you're right. Forcing out Chuck Kaiton with an 80% pay cut is unforgivable IMO though 

I don't think Dundon is cheap on players. But outside of that...not quite sure. He only gave Forslund a one year deal. He tried to underpay GM's, Chuck. Maybe he's getting better.

Seems to me his first order of business in taking over was to level expenditures in the long term, so he could get a good picture of the business model in place here that had been losing money for how ever many years. Those off the ice costs of running and building a successful franchise had to be assessed if for no other reason than to know in real time numbers HOW MUCH he would have to work with to bring the on ice product up to respectable levels. He was a newbie to hockey, but not to making money. There is very little past loyalty and sentimentality in the minds of mega spending entrepreneurs, and making tough yet unpopular decisions are what that plate is fared with. I won't ever fault him for that, considering what it was he was taking majority ownership of.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

I don't think Dundon is cheap on players. But outside of that...not quite sure. He only gave Forslund a one year deal. He tried to underpay GM's, Chuck. Maybe he's getting better.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Forslund preferred a one year deal as it leaves him more open to take a national job. The quality of Forslund's call is probably a big factor in Chuck's departure. I can't say I find any decline in quality/enjoyment when I am listening to the simulcast call (albeit it's usually in the stadium) over Chuck.

Who here would go hire someone to do a job that is already being done by someone else?

Dundon isn't cheap, he is frugal. He will break out the wallet if he sees value.

Apparently he didn't see any value in hiring an outside GM when he was happy with Don Waddell's work as GM and President of Operations. Both situations look very much like 2 for 1 specials...

Now trying to get back to the thread:

Anyone else notice that Jordan's eyes have a darker/sunken look like someone fighting something off? I noticed a couple games back, particularly his left eye, ny first thought was maybe a stick/puck had caught him high.

Edited by DevildogKodi
Getting back on topic

9 minutes ago, DevildogKodi said:

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Forslund preferred a one year deal as it leaves him more open to take a national job. The quality of Forslund's call is probably a big factor in Chuck's departure. I can't say I find any decline in quality/enjoyment when I am listening to the simulcast call (albeit it's usually in the stadium) over Chuck.

Who here would go hire someone to do a job that is already being done by someone else?

Dundon isn't cheap, he is frugal. He will break out the wallet if he sees value.

Apparently he didn't see any value in hiring an outside GM when he was happy with Don Waddell's work as GM and President of Operations. Both situations look very much like 2 for 1 specials...

Now trying to get back to the thread:

Anyone else notice that Jordan's eyes have a darker/sunken look like someone fighting something off? I noticed a couple games back, particularly his left eye, ny first thought was maybe a stick/puck had caught him high.

I listened to an interview with Forslund about his one year deal. He was clearly not happy about it, and actually said he'd have liked a longer deal, but he gets that's how Mr Dundon does business. I'm sure that Forslund has an out clause if he gets offered Doc Emrick's job, and maybe that made Dundon unwilling to go past a year. Again, Dundon has not been cheap on players so far. He has us at the cap. But the stuff about wanting to pay GM's low is not really frugal. It worked out, but not paying for a quality GM can be penny wise and pound foolish, especially given the payroll they manage.

On Staal, I would not be surprised if he's fighting something the way he played last game.