The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Rags @ Canes. 7 Nov 19

Carolina Hurricanes vs New York Rangers

Thursday, 7 November 2019

7 pm. PNC Arena

I don’t have much as I’m quickly posting this from work so we have something else to talk about besides the 2-game losing streak.

Oh, and tonight we welcome back Canes legend Adam Fox...keep going Adam, just a few more games til we get their 2nd rounder this year!

Someone break out the anti-jinx crap...cause this team needs it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

I promised, but since you asked...

Fly away buzzard fly away crow way down south where the winds don't blow. Rub your nose and give two winks and save us from this awful jinx.

Edited by super_dave_1
  • Like 6

Something old, something new, never something dressed in blue

projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Niederreiter-Staal-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Aho-Foegele
Dzingel-Wallmark-Necas
McGinn-Luostarinen-Gibbons

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Edmundson-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

Mrazek

47 minutes ago, super_dave_1 said:

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

I know...but I want to nip this before it gets any worse 

• Like 1

Interesting Loustarinen getting the call. Heard a scout really liked him in Charlotte. I'm glad we're not going 7D again, though our development of Fleury continues to suffer.

• Like 3

Our not-so-great opponent is starting to get their act together. They won three of their last four, scored two PP goals and had a shortie on a 2/2 PK last night. If some of our guys don't drop their happy-go-lucky attitude and stick to the game plan, there is a potential that they could find themselves in 9th place in conference tonight as well.   

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, remkin said:

Interesting Loustarinen getting the call. Heard a scout really liked him in Charlotte.

As I posted elsewhere, it would seem that being called up and immediately being put in lineup, without a single practice, must be exceedingly difficult for a novice NHL player. I'm pleased to note that I've read that he plays a "mature game" as that plus fellow Finns to guide him may help the transition.

9 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

As I posted elsewhere, it would seem that being called up and immediately being put in lineup, without a single practice, must be exceedingly difficult for a novice NHL player. I'm pleased to note that I've read that he plays a "mature game" as that plus fellow Finns to guide him may help the transition.

He leads the team in goals, has 7 points in 10 games and -2 on that team is pretty good. A while ago I posted that one of Shaya's 10 thoughts was that a scout told him that Loustarinen was a guy to watch. As you mention it's hard to come up and make an instant impact, but it will be interesting to watch him, and it's good to get Charlotte guys up here. Just looking at Goat's numbers, 4 goals, but zero assists and a big -10. Still have hope for him, but yeah, Necas was the right call.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, OBXer said:

Forwards

Niederreiter-Staal-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Aho-Foegele
Dzingel-Wallmark-Necas
McGinn-Luostarinen-Gibbons

Injuries do make things look different. That 4th line is very 4th liney. Wallmark in place of Haula is a big drop off, and while I still believe in Foegele, he's still not an established first second liner. So if Staal is really our 1C, I'd like to see a much better game from him tonight. At this point I'd have him as the biggest disappointment of the year. Last year Brind'Amour called him our best player at one point. The more other guys are out, the more it hurts that he's out too.

4 hours ago, super_dave_1 said:

Fly away buzzard fly away crow way down south where the winds don't blow. Rub your nose and give two winks and save us from this awful jinx.

you might need one of your magic potions to add :)

• Like 1

Yes Rod, yes! We couldn't score in the Amsterdam red light district, and Jordo couldn't into an empty net from the top of the crease no matter who he's skating with, but by all means, LET'S KEEP AHO AND TURBO ON DIFFERENT LINES.

Despite this, I foresee a bunch of Canes-fans-only-when-the-Rags-aren't-in-town heading out of PNC arena around 8:15.

LET'S GO (BACK IN TIME ABOUT TWO WEEKS) CANES!!

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Yes Rod, yes! We couldn't score in the Amsterdam red light district, and Jordo couldn't into an empty net from the top of the crease no matter who he's skating with, but by all means, LET'S KEEP AHO AND TURBO ON DIFFERENT LINES.

Despite this, I foresee a bunch of Canes-fans-only-when-the-Rags-aren't-in-town heading out of PNC arena around 8:15.

LET'S GO (BACK IN TIME ABOUT TWO WEEKS) CANES!!

I just want one night of Aho Turbo and Svech, what could happen? Some goal scoring?

• Like 4

Last 2 games have been irritating to say the least but great teams snap out of that, I don't doubt we turn it around soon if not tonight.

54 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

Jordo couldn't into an empty net from the top of the crease no matter who he's skating with

14 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

I just want one night of Aho Turbo and Svech, what could happen? Some goal scoring?

Jordo is not—and will never be—a goal scorer, playmaker, or team leader. If his last name wasn't Staal, he'd be recognized for what he is: a solid journeyman 3rd-line center who plays hard at both ends and who will provide some help to the offense by putting up 40-45 points a season. He's a stand-up guy with a strong veteran presence, but at best he is part of the supporting cast. The team should never be in the position of having to rely on him for offense. 

I agree that a line with Aho-Turbo-Svech might get something going. The way Jordo and Ned are playing, Turbo is wasted on their line. Heck, Foegele might bring some much needed energy to the Jord-Ned line. I'd also like to see what Luo could do with Dzingle and Necas.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, remkin said:

Injuries do make things look different. That 4th line is very 4th liney. Wallmark in place of Haula is a big drop off, and while I still believe in Foegele, he's still not an established first second liner. So if Staal is really our 1C, I'd like to see a much better game from him tonight. 

Put Yossarian with TiVo and move either a useless Nino or a punchless Jordo to the 4th (or 5th) line.

23 minutes ago, spyglass88 said:

Jordo is not—and will never be—a goal scorer, playmaker, or team leader. If his last name wasn't Staal, he'd be recognized for what he is: a solid journeyman 3rd-line center who plays hard at both ends and who will provide some help to the offense by putting up 40-45 points a season. He's a stand-up guy with a strong veteran presence, but at best he is part of the supporting cast. The team should never be in the position of having to rely on him for offense. 

I agree that a line with Aho-Turbo-Svech might get something going. The way Jordo and Ned are playing, Turbo is wasted on their line. Heck, Foegele might bring some much needed energy to the Jord-Ned line. I'd also like to see what Luo could do with Dzingle and Necas.

It’s not possible for me to agree any stronger with this post!

• Like 1

Jordan is not going to be a ppg player, and he is not a finisher, but at his best he dominates possession, shuts down other forward, makes some hits, and makes at least solid offensive plays. Last game he was a turnover machine, and really looked off. I haven't been keying on him this year, so I'm not sure if that was a one off, but it was noticeable. I'm hoping he's better tonight.

• Like 2