The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
gocanes0506

Nov 9th, Canes @ Sens 7pm, FSCR

Image result for ottawa senators vs carolina hurricanes

The Canes are in a slump that they need to get out of. Rod needs to a reason to change his current resting face.

Image result for ottawa senators vs carolina hurricanes

The Sens have the same record 4-5-1 in their last 10 as the Canes. The difference in the standings is the Canes started 5-0-0 and the Sens started 1-4-0. The Sens are tied for last in the Atlantic with the Red Wings.

The Canes have to start early in this game with Nilsson in goal.  Nilsson has respectable numbers in the net with a .923 sv percentage and a 2.92 GAA.  

The Canes cannot get beat this game.  We should expect the canes to dominate possession as most of the Sens players are negative for Corsi.  This is also a game where the PK could gain some confidence.  The Sens PP has a 7.64% success rate so far. 

I hope to see some different lines as our offense has really struggled to maintain possession or gain momentum.  We have really struggled with sloppy possess and misplays of the puck.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

Pageau, Namestnikov, and Duclair are the three we need to key in on.  And if Borowiecki (or however you spell his name) starts laying into Jordo with hits, and Jordo doesn’t respond, I will be most displeased.

There is a weird thing in hockey, at least in Cane's hockey. There is a subtle extra something that takes our game from possession and pressure, to beating the goalie. Similarly on D, there is an extra notch that keeps the game in lock down nearly the whole game vs. sudden, big let downs leading to A+ chances against. 

There is too much depth of scoring talent, even with Haula out, to be having so much trouble converting shots to goals. Considering we got out to our lead against very good teams and now as was pointed out elsewhere, 0-5 against weaker divisional opponents, is almost proof that the team has played down to the level of the other team. It's been subtle. Like I was saying above. We look pretty good overall, and dominate in shots, but somehow just can't beat the goalie. We look pretty good on D for long stretches, then give up 3 or 4, two on ones against in a short span. 

But that's how this team loses or wins. Getting that little bit of extra to finish or to keep the D locked longer. Getting net front, getting that stick position, making that hit, that little extra to go top shelf vs goalie crest, etc. Every NHL team has really good players on the roster, even the bad ones. If this team starts reading it's own press and letting up just that last little bit, we get the Canes of old. Lots of shots, few goals, few shots against, lots of goals against.

How am I such an expert at this? I've been watching it for years. A lot of us have. That's why it's so hard to take a 4-2 loss in a 42-17 shots our way game. Because that was Canes hockey under Bill Peters. We've seen it before: over and over and over.

But this team has far more skill and finish in its line up than past years. This team really doesn't have a good excuse. (Okay, except it's a very young team, but it was last year too).

So go out there and take the Sens as seriously as any top tiered team. Go to 10 on the meter. Stop this slide and start another winning streak. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, remkin said:

There is a weird thing in hockey, at least in Cane's hockey. There is a subtle extra something that takes our game from possession and pressure, to beating the goalie. Similarly on D, there is an extra notch that keeps the game in lock down nearly the whole game vs. sudden, big let downs leading to A+ chances against. 

There is too much depth of scoring talent, even with Haula out, to be having so much trouble converting shots to goals. Considering we got out to our lead against very good teams and now as was pointed out elsewhere, 0-5 against weaker divisional opponents, is almost proof that the team has played down to the level of the other team. It's been subtle. Like I was saying above. We look pretty good overall, and dominate in shots, but somehow just can't beat the goalie. We look pretty good on D for long stretches, then give up 3 or 4, two on ones against in a short span. 

But that's how this team loses or wins. Getting that little bit of extra to finish or to keep the D locked longer. Getting net front, getting that stick position, making that hit, that little extra to go top shelf vs goalie crest, etc. Every NHL team has really good players on the roster, even the bad ones. If this team starts reading it's own press and letting up just that last little bit, we get the Canes of old. Lots of shots, few goals, few shots against, lots of goals against.

How am I such an expert at this? I've been watching it for years. A lot of us have. That's why it's so hard to take a 4-2 loss in a 42-17 shots our way game. Because that was Canes hockey under Bill Peters. We've seen it before: over and over and over.

But this team has far more skill and finish in its line up than past years. This team really doesn't have a good excuse. (Okay, except it's a very young team, but it was last year too).

So go out there and take the Sens as seriously as any top tiered team. Go to 10 on the meter. Stop this slide and start another winning streak. 

I say lets go to 11.

• Like 3

Other obligations will keep me from tuning in tonight, so someone give them an extra yell or two for me.  Any players, meanwhile, who fail to tune in tonight need to be benched, demoted, or skated until Craig MacDonald pukes.  Or all 3.  Show up and win the games you should win, and this team would be in second in the conference right now.  Play down to the level of your competition and you end up barely clinging to the second wildcard spot.  This isn't about missing Haula, Martinook, and/or Williams - the talent is there to win these games.  The drive hasn't been, though.  Show up with chips on your shoulders and play to win and this game is in the bag.  So do it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Other obligations will keep me from tuning in tonight, so someone give them an extra yell or two for me.  Any players, meanwhile, who fail to tune in tonight need to be benched, demoted, or skated until Craig MacDonald pukes.  Or all 3.  Show up and win the games you should win, and this team would be in second in the conference right now.  Play down to the level of your competition and you end up barely clinging to the second wildcard spot.  This isn't about missing Haula, Martinook, and/or Williams - the talent is there to win these games.  The drive hasn't been, though.  Show up with chips on your shoulders and play to win and this game is in the bag.  So do it.

Drive lags when there's no leadership.

projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Niederreiter-Staal-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Aho-Foegele
Dzingel-Wallmark-Necas
McGinn-Luostarinen-Gibbons

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Gardiner-Pesce
Edmundson-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

Reimer

Rem points out the slim, slim difference between talent level, which we can now pretty much match anyone with, and the few years experience of being a top tier team and icing that same game every time out, which even with effective leadership, we don't possess. Our capability level lacks nothing, but unfortunately we have to work UP to that game level without it coming naturally as it does for teams that start on time and finish stronger than they started through the experience of doing it over seasons(IE Caps, Isles, B's). That does start with putting lesser teams in their place, and we 'll get there. I should think they, knowing they are talented, would be learning that lesson over the last three weeks and start putting it on display tonight about two weeks late.

Looks like Haula is gonna be out awhile...put him on IR already so I can make moves on my fantasy teams