The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Canes @ Slugs, 14 Nov 19

Working on on the page thing...  

Is it bad of me to be happy they reassigned the goal originally credited to Skinner, or that the refs ignored his easy fall late in the game?

On the fall... This drove me crazy when he was a Cane too.  Forlund's call on it was classic: "Skinner goes down.  No call.  They'll moan."

Edit: page 14.  Mission accomplished 💪.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wxray1 said:

Working on on the page thing...  

Is it bad of me to be happy they reassigned the goal originally credited to Skinner, or that the refs ignored his easy fall late in the game?

On the fall... This drove me crazy when he was a Cane too.  Forlund's call on it was classic: "Skinner goes down.  No call.  They'll moan."

Edit: page 14.  Mission accomplished 💪.

Always extra sweet to beat the Slugs. He can get his precious goals-We will take the wins. 😀🏒😉

Replaying the end of the game just to hear them boo.

i feel like Doc Hudson from Cars when Lightning is yelling about how much he hates Bessy.  
“sweet music” Doc said.  

Early in the game, might have even been pre-game Tripp mentioned that Skinner had scored in (all) of the rematch games, but the Canes had won them partly because Skinner gave the goals back with bad D plays. He clearly implied that this was an issue here too. Not that we didn't already know that, but I'm not sure if Tripp or John had said it before. Yes, a lot easier when he's not on the team anymore, but still. 

And on that note, while the guys are and should be homers, they are also honest about at least some guys. It wasn't a mind blowing gaff, but when Fleury's shot was blocked leading to the breakaway goal, Tripp made it clear that shot was a bad decision. Tough love for a guy fighting to stay on the roster. 

On Skinner it was ironic that Buffalo fell so far last year while he put up 40 goals. Is it happening again this year? Not really fair to him probably, he was an even player on a decidedly minus team. But then again, he scored 40 goals. So, to get to even, a net 40 goals had to go in against while he was out there. May not have been directly due to him, but it does make one think maybe even with the lack of return on him, the trade was worth it. OK, well now that he is flush with his massive contract that we aren't on the hook for, take "maybe" out of that sentence.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, remkin said:

It wasn't a mind blowing gaff, but when Fleury's shot was blocked leading to the breakaway goal, Tripp made it clear that shot was a bad decision. Tough love for a guy fighting to stay on the roster. 

They also admitted his desperation devensive play which prevented a pass on 2 on 1.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bonivan said:

They also admitted his desperation devensive play which prevented a pass on 2 on 1.

Yeah, I was just pointing out their willingness to call guys out. I still like Fleury. I recently posted on it. Young guys need NHL minutes to figure this stuff out. That shot was ill advised, but not a massive gaff. Just something he'll learn the more he plays. One more elaboration on it is Fleury.

Even after moving Faulk, our top 6 D make $4.07 million average per guy. But next year Edmundson and TVR will be UFA's. 

I've been making this point a while now, but one nice side effect of Fleury being a low minute, often scratched, sometimes AHL guy, is that his next deal, his RFA deal can be a very team-friendly deal. Especially if we are willing to go medium term on him. But we need to be sure he's a guy we want to sign for say 5 years. But imagine if we can lock him down for say 5 years at $2.5 million per. Then he grows into a very good mid pairing guy. That gives us lots of cap to play with.

• Like 3

With Haula and now Martinook back. And if Staal is starting to come back? Lots of cylinders starting to fire. Now if Nino could find another level, things could get pretty amazing pretty quick.  

• Like 1

When we actually get entry and start moving the puck our PP looks sooo much better this year. The PP goals by Svech and Aho were beauts. You almost don't miss Faulk at all with Dougie playing on the PP like he is. I guess even more broadly our main skill guys Svech, Aho, Turbo, Dougie are playing well together now, not just individually. They built us a lead but bad miscues in the D zone gave us the same old Canes mediocre third period. 

We've seen what Boston can do with triple skill guys on one line, and in these last two games that's been working for us too. Interested to see if we'll keep Svech, Aho, TT together going forward because it's definitely working these last two games. 

• Like 2

Just curious: am I the only one on here that isn't anti-Skinner (when he isn't playing against us, of course)?  I was a fan of his when he was here.  Then, as now, I thought his positives outweighed his negatives.  Not for $9m, and I'm happy how the Canes ended up post-Jeff, mind you.  But he's getting a lot of flak about last nights game and from my couch it seems like Skinner, more than any other Slug, was the main reason Buffalo got that point. He did against us what he often did for us, which was score a critical last minute goal to tie or win a game.  And it wasn't at all unexpected from where I was sitting.

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, thickburglar said:
6 hours ago, thickburglar said:

You almost don't miss Faulk at all with Dougie playing on the PP like he is. 

You jest, right? I haven't missed Faulk for at least 2 years on the PP, ever since he forgot how to back peddle and score there. At most, his blast wound up hitting the glass, turning into short handed chances going in the opposite room?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

So, apparently, Reinhart and Risto each got 10 min misconducts last night?  How’d I miss that?

I think that was for abuse of officials after getting called for penalties they didn't agree with.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tightlinez said:

Yes, Necas is growing right before our very eyes.  Haven't I heard that somewhere?

After Tripp said Necas was growing right before our eyes several times, the next time he got the puck, JF said “Necas ... still growing. Classic. Off topic, but did anyone else notice that in addition to JF did for NBC Shaya covered, Tripp mentioned that Forslund did one of the games in Sweden for NBC, and did a Vegas game night before last. Seems he is working a lot of regular season games for NBC. Hope this will not draw him away from the Canes eventually.