The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
sleekfeeder

GDT: Carolina Hurricanes @ Chicago Blackhawks - Tuesday, November 19, 2019 @ 8:30 PM ET

4 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

which means any chance of Haula getting a long term extension is gone.  if his knee is stable enough to play again, he will go year to year.  

He is too skilled.  He gets saddled with a career threatening injury like that.  Pitkanen-esque.  

I'm just not sure on that gocanes, because from what I understand this injury involves his patella, To me, and granted I'm no Orthopod, a displaced patella is not part of the basic knee mechanism of ligamentous support? Anyone please correct me if this is incorrect. IMHO, the patella is more protective than supportive? And reapproximated, I'd imagine that it does not share similar physiological torsion that MCL, ACL and other ligaments do in knee support? 

39 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

I'm just not sure on that gocanes, because from what I understand this injury involves his patella, To me, and granted I'm no Orthopod, a displaced patella is not part of the basic knee mechanism of ligamentous support? Anyone please correct me if this is incorrect. IMHO, the patella is more protective than supportive? And reapproximated, I'd imagine that it does not share similar physiological torsion that MCL, ACL and other ligaments do in knee support? 

Patellar dislocation goes up significantly after the first (which I assume happened after the last major knee injury). You have a up to 40% of it happening again.

3-6 weeks is the normal recovery timeline. But there is a good chance that players have bone fragments floating around in the knee following a dislocation. Those have to be removed.  If surgery is required to stabilize the knee, its 10-12 weeks and that decreases the chance of reoccurrence by >10%. All recovery times are increased with each reoccurrence.

also the patellar dislocation can cause ligament stretching.  Ligament stretching is worse than a tear. Stretching destabilizes the knee because the knee isn’t held a tightly together as it should be. 

Source: UCONN sports medicine

Edited by gocanes0506

Here is the projected lineup for the Hurricanes.

Forwards

Dzingel-Staal-Foegele
Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
Niederreiter-Wallmark-Necas
McGinn-Luostarinen-Martinook

Defense

Slavin-Hamilton
Edmundson-Pesce
Gardiner-van Riemsdyk

Goalies

Mrazek
Reimer

Scratches: Fleury (healthy), Haula (knee)

5 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Yes, apparently "displaced patella and chipped bone" aka-Chip. Can read on Country Canes if like?

I had/have this.  When the kneecap slips out of place the violence of it slipping under the tendon can chip the bone. (did for me)

Yes, once it happens once it is far more likely to happen.  For me it was 4 times over a period of 10 years.  Any sideways/pivoting stress can trigger it to recur.

Ultimately for me it was stopping competitive sports and strengthening the surrounding muscles to help hold it in place.  Lots of long distance cycling (keeps the knee in a nice straight plane).

Hasn't happened for me in about 17 years now but of course I'm not skating.   Skating seems like an activity likely to make it happen when cutting sharply.    

This is a true pi$$er.

18 minutes ago, Canes06cup17 said:

Go Canes! Crappy news on Haula. 😐 I love Snoopys hot dogs and Shortys in Wake Forest. Mustard and chili are a must and slaw if it’s good. 

The good (or bad) news is there is plenty of tasty artery-clogging goodness from both locations to please the tastebuds. Let’s hope the heartburn doesn’t come in the form of an “L” tonight 😬

• Like 1

Should be a great matchup tonight, and who DOESN'T like a good ol' hockey game?

And for the record, I am a Carolina boy, born and raised in the Piedmont(China Grove if you want to look it up), and I've never liked slaw or chili on my dog. I actually prefer a good ol' corn dog with just plain mustard. 

• Like 2

Chicago is going to be a tough out, and as such would be a big win. 

Chicago is 6-1-1 in their last 8. They have outscored their opponents 28-15 in their last 6 games (+13), going 6-0-1 and 4 straight wins. They are 6-3-2 at home for the year, and they have a 4-0 loss to us from earlier to avenge. Patrick Kane is on a 9 game point streak with 8G and 9A, essentially 2 ppg. 

Chicago's goaltending has been off the hook. We get Lehner tonight and his .936 save percentage. 

Imagine how good they'd be if they still had TT. Ha!

We tend to raise our game vs. better teams. Hopefully our guys got the memo that the Blackhawks are currently one of those.

• Like 1

Lived in the Chicago area for 18 years, NEVER found a liking for that dog 🤮 (although the base Vienna beef dog is pretty good).  Originally from the philly area which also is very in to dogs, I would put up a philly bacon/cheese wiz dog against either of those two things!

8 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

This game has me REALLY worried...and I can’t figure out why 

Me too, they are playing well.

1 minute ago, RickD_99 said:

I lived in North Chicago for 6 years and never once saw that “Chicago dog”...now brats and Chicago style deep dish pizza...different story!😉

That’s my territory (Waukegan/N. Chicago). Grew up on all that stuff before I got hooked on Bojangles, eastern NC BBQ, and gallons of sweet tea 😂😂