The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

Canes at Bruins, December 3rd, 7PM, Huge Chance for Big Win!

OK. I'll take on this thankless job....

Image result for carolina hurricanes funny images           VS         Related image

16-10-1                                                                                19-3-5

Carolina Hurricanes at Boston Bruins

7PM, TD Garden, Boston.

OK, this is the closest thing to a brutal final exam we have faced yet this year. We should be motivated to beat the team that ended our playoffs, but it will not be easy. The Bruins are 7 to 1 now to win the Stanley Cup. They are the only team in the NHL that has not lost in regulation at home with a home record of 10-0-4. But what a huge win it would be. 

More to set the challenge. The Bruins have the league's best goal differential at +34. (But Carolina is #5 at +12). Bruins are on a seven game winning streak and are 8-0-3 in their last 11. At least we're not getting them while they're hot. (sarcasm). Let's see, the Bruins rank in the NHL based on record....#1. GF per game played...#2. Well at least goals against is.....#1, OH COME ON!!! PP #2. PK #7. 

You get the picture. 

OK. If it gets too rough, we could always send out this guy to knock some heads. Or in this case maybe poke someone's eyes?

image.jpeg

Again I ask: "what, too soon?"

In some ways this is a nice thing. It's a road game that no one expects us to win. If we don't, move on. But the upside potential if we do is massive. So let's do it!!!

I expect we see Mrazek, but Reimer was really good last game and Boston lit Mrazek up in the playoffs, so maybe go back to Reimer. 

I hope Necas is back. 

Lineups and more please add below. 

• Like 4

Not sure "final exam" is the best phrase to characterize this game.  "Reality check" might sum it up better.  Since Day 1 of the Whalers versus Bruins in 1979, it has been one rough battle to the next.  It dos not seem as if the Canes match up well in a playoff series against this type of physical opponent, but as I have said about this league of parity, on any given night any team beats any team.

For the long term, it may be valuable to see how the Bruins expose some of the Canes weaknesses (or not), and go from there.

1 hour ago, beboplar said:

been one rough battle to the next.

While that may be beboplar, and certainly for the last at least 8-10 years they've regularly had our number, I vividly recall a time, maybe in the 05-06 year, that I was driving somewhere and listening to a game with them, and thinking we beat them every time we face them? Seems for a span there, the shoe was on the other foot. Of course that was likely before that little worm, Marchand, started his antics. Maybe this game could start a new trend?

7 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

While that may be beboplar, and certainly for the last at least 8-10 years they've regularly had our number, I vividly recall a time, maybe in the 05-06 year, that I was driving somewhere and listening to a game with them, and thinking we beat them every time we face them? Seems for a span there, the shoe was on the other foot. Of course that was likely before that little worm, Marchand, started his antics. Maybe this game could start a new trend?

The tides changed when the Canes were scored against shorthanded 3 times in one power play in 2010.

Tides change.  Streaks break.  Tonight would be a good night for both.

To quote the late, great Han Solo:

“I’ve got a bad feeling about this.”

Going to the box just about guarantees they’ll score...

• Like 1

Win, even a point would be grand. But I don't consider the B's, Caps, or even the Isles(they do what they do to everyone) to be any inhibitor whatsoever to our season. It's everyone else in the East we gotta play .700 hockey against. Looks like wins against the powers though would at some point start to build the swagger needed to dust off the "also rans" like bad medicine.

This is going to be VERY difficult. I don't want to say they have to play a mistake free game, buuuuuuuuuuuuut, they kind of need to play a mistake free game. Good luck Canes. YOU CAN DOOOOO IIIIIIT!!

On a positive note, we did sweep the Bruins in 2012 for the first time ever, all while getting out-shot, out-hit, out-FO'd and out-penalized but not out-scored (15-5 Canes). Bruins at the time were 17 games over .500 while the Canes were 6 games under. To me it felt like winning Game 7 in a playoff series. Anyway, I know it doesn't mean jack for tonight but...everything is possible. 

• Like 1

We have no chance.  We should forfeit the game,pick up a rack of Beeerahh and get wicked smashed in the back of a Cah.  It'd be a Pissah. 

sa

• Like 3

12 hours ago, beboplar said:

Not sure "final exam" is the best phrase to characterize this game.  "Reality check" might sum it up better.  Since Day 1 of the Whalers versus Bruins in 1979, it has been one rough battle to the next.  It dos not seem as if the Canes match up well in a playoff series against this type of physical opponent, but as I have said about this league of parity, on any given night any team beats any team.

For the long term, it may be valuable to see how the Bruins expose some of the Canes weaknesses (or not), and go from there.

Final exam is just one class. There are more classes in the semester, and more semesters in the year. 

But the point is that this is the hardest test we've faced this year. The Bruins have clearly established themselves as the best team in the NHL this year, and especially at home. I'll add that while we could be highly motivated, we could also be a bit beaten down by the way they owned us in the playoffs last year. 

Still, if we somehow took them in regulation in their barn, we'd be the only team in the NHL to have done so. 

And just to stretch the final exam analogy, we have another final in an almost as difficult class on Thursday. The Bruins own the best "last 10 games" record in the NHL at 8-0-2. The next best? San Jose at 8-2. 

I'm sure it's just random, but it sure seems like we get hot teams a lot.

One more thing. This team's inability to finish off lesser teams is frustrating. But this teams inability to ever feel overmatched and to beat the best teams is a strength. The degree of difficulty also creates a great opportunity. For a while we were one of a few teams to have taken down the Caps, and might have been the only one to have taken down both the Caps and the Islanders. We can win this. No doubt. But it is a big test. 

14 hours ago, remkin said:

I hope Necas is back. 

Me too but not tonight

23 hours ago

Martin Necas didn't practice with the today [Monday], but he was around Raleigh Center Ice. He won't travel with the team to Boston, but head coach Rod Brind'Amour is hopeful his lower-body injury isn't long-term.

42 minutes ago, OBXer said:

Me too but not tonight

So, does this mean an 11-7 lineup? If so, that appears to have increased the difficulty of a win? BTW, does anyone know if we've won a game this year with the 11-7 roster? I think not?

1 minute ago, KJUNKANE said:

So, does this mean an 11-7 lineup? If so, that appears to have increased the difficulty of a win? BTW, does anyone know if we've won a game this year with the 11-7 roster? I think not?

I haven't seen a call up so I suspect  that will be the case.

With several "that's hockey baby's" from John Forslund tonight, and a few "remember that save" and "Svech is growing right before our very eyes" from Tripp, the Canes will come out of TD Garden tonight with a 4-2 victory and end the streak of home wins for the B's.  Man, I just wished we had Rosie there to chase and pi$$ off Chara all night.  That was so much fun to watch.  

Edited by Tightlinez
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, remkin said:

One more thing. This team's inability to finish off lesser teams is frustrating. But this teams inability to ever feel overmatched and to beat the best teams is a strength. The degree of difficulty also creates a great opportunity. For a while we were one of a few teams to have taken down the Caps, and might have been the only one to have taken down both the Caps and the Islanders. We can win this. No doubt. But it is a big test. 

To quote myself, "NHL = Parity".  The difference between the haves and have nots is WAY different than other major sports leagues.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

3 nights ago.

• Like 1