The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
remkin

Canes at Bruins, December 3rd, 7PM, Huge Chance for Big Win!

3 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

His and Jordo’s might 

Lol, yeah trading the Captain isnt likely to happen. If you find a sniper for Gardiner and player x let me know and I'll show you the next GM to be fired.

6 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

When you’re expected to provide some offense and leadership, but provide neither, it might be time to consider a change of scenery 

Jordo isn’t going anywhere.  Gardiner isn’t either.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, slapshot02 said:

Aho 0 shots?

That's why I find it ironic that picture of him on the bench at the end, standing and screaming? What gives with him?

40 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

We’ve got two firsts this next draft...dangle it and Gardiner for a sniper

That would be an easy way :)  I guess the committee saw some value and Rod likely hasn't give up on him.

As others said, not going to happen anytime soon.

Thinking more about this, yeah it’s easy to make Jake the fall guy for this game. We love to really nail someone who tips the balance in the other team’s favor when. It’s human nature.  Halak isn’t Patrick Roy, and if we can get pucks in nets maybe the situation isn’t so fragile to where we have to be beyond perfect to have a shot at winning.  The point is, accountability is team-wide, not just on one guy.  This tidbit is for sure: Optimus Reim has been showing up!! 👍🏽

• Like 2

8 hours ago, coastal_caniac said:

I'm really disappointed that the team took a position of strength (i.e. the defense) and appears to have found a way to make it porous again.  I miss DeHaan.  But let's give Hayden Fleury some games with TVR.  Anything but Gardiner.

The Canes need to score to have a chance, and we didn't.

The DeHaan move really didn't make sense if they were just going to sign another Dman (Gardiner). 

10 hours ago, RickD_99 said:

Yep that Shaya curse is definitely a thing....

It may be.  He bugs me a bit less this game.  Actually, he made a prescient call on the Gardiner gaff: "He's going to have to be careful!"  ... I started screaming having seen this before.   And then, booof.

Hey all, how about the play of Slavin this game?  Anyone notice.  Not just a play or two, but plays ALL NIGHT.  And what about the faceoffs?  Seems like Walmark won them all.

I really hated to see Slavin's effort go to waste.

• Like 1

The loss was disappointing. It stung. I am probable in the minority but I enjoyed the game. We played well, we played really well. It is a shame one mistake cost us the game but Gardiner was trying to make a play. The situation called for a safer more responsible decision but he was trying to make a play. It happens.

Good teams like Boston find ways to win. We are close to being a really good team but still have another level to find. Seeing the emotion from Aho was encouraging. If it is possible to build on a loss maybe this game will be a turning point.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, OBXer said:

The loss was disappointing. It stung. I am probable in the minority but I enjoyed the game. We played well, we played really well. It is a shame one mistake cost us the game but Gardiner was trying to make a play. The situation called for a safer more responsible decision but he was trying to make a play. It happens. a lot when Gardiner has the puck.

Small amendment.  :)  Happy Wednesday.  Better days ahead if they do continue to play like this, and score more.

Edited by wxray1

Y’all can harp on me for wanting to trade Jordo if possible, but I’m sticking to it.  His game has slowed down SIGNIFICANTLY since just last season, and the game is only getting younger and faster.  If it wasn’t for his last name and the family legacy here, I doubt he’d even have a letter...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OBXer said:

The loss was disappointing. It stung. I am probable in the minority but I enjoyed the game. 

I enjoyed the game and it may of been Slavins best game ever. It was evident the game may come down to a team taking advantage of a mistake. Good effort for the boys on the road.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Y’all can harp on me for wanting to trade Jordo if possible, but I’m sticking to it.  His game has slowed down SIGNIFICANTLY since just last season, and the game is only getting younger and faster.  If it wasn’t for his last name and the family legacy here, I doubt he’d even have a letter...

Not against your idea of a trade,just against your thinking that Jordo and Gardiner could bring back a sniper.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

Stick to it but it aint happening.  

If anything Rod sees himself in Jordo and he'll will stay a long time. Unless Wallmark gets to around 40-50 points in a season, we dont have another 2 way center.  Aho will get there but he is still young.  

Tough loss. There were positives and negatives. Nino's shot goes post in, and quite possibly we're all on here congratulating everyone for a massive win. 

Boston may not have had it's A game, and didn't have it's best player, but they brought the "A" lock down game. They are #1 in the NHL at limiting goals. They give up very little. It pains me, but they are that good. Someone beat me to it, but you are not going to win many games 0-0. We almost had a shot at it, but it's a losing bet nearly every time. 

To me the positives are bigger than the negative. 

1. This team locked down the Bruins and played the best team in the NHL at their own game in their own barn. It stinks that we ended up losing the way we did, and not getting at least a point, but this team has been loose at times, trading chances and letting teams back into games. This lock down was still impressive. Slavin. Yes, as below Reimer was huge, but Slavin was a beast.

2. Reimer. I still maintain that this season will come down to goaltending. Even with this bagel, we are #13 in the NHL in goals for, and we'll be better at this when we get Haula and Necas, (and Nino and Staal) back. But the goaltending is suspect. Reimer has now put in 3 stellar games after a solid one. He now has 4 starts with a combined .944 save percentage, and the last 3 games .956. In the long run this is more important than even Gardiner's follies. 

The negatives? Gardiner should probably sit, but will Brindy do it? I think part of the 7D is to get ice time for TVR and Fleury. Most of the game Gardiner actually looked good, but the gaffs are just so noticeable. High risk, but so far low reward. His trade value is low.

Aho was not on his A game. He has games where he just can't quite get to that level. I don't want to pick on McGinn, but it's clear that he is a good NHL 4th liner but not more. He just can't finish. OK, but he's not always on the 4th line. 

I don't think we trade Jordan, but I'm really thinking he has two gears, and all we've seen this year is low gear.  And it is amazing how different he is when he's in his low gear. He is basically a grinder. But when he finds another gear he's a very solid two way center with more D than O,  but still 40 points, near 29 goals and still very valuable. But in his low gear, he's really a 4th liner. I know that's rough, but he's a full on checking center with almost no offensive upside in that gear. 

Nino. I guess as long as he gets snakebites he has to be a negative, but i think Nino could be close to a turnaround.

So, the negatives are there, but overall this was a really good lock down game, and Reimer has been great and that is a potentially big deal if he can keep at it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OBXer said:

The loss was disappointing. It stung. I am probable in the minority but I enjoyed the game. We played well, we played really well. It is a shame one mistake cost us the game but Gardiner was trying to make a play. The situation called for a safer more responsible decision but he was trying to make a play. It happens.

Agree. To me, it was one of our top three overall performances this season. Yea, we got shut-out but for 57 minutes you could not tell which of teams was the best in the league, was barely holding on to a wild card, played in front of their home crowd or held one of the best team stats. Hell, even Jack*** Edwards was so impressed and chose his words carefully that he didn't go all out homer on the viewers until the second goal. 

Gardiner needs a reality check, either start producing to make up for his brain cramps or actually play some freakin' D, instead of looking like a guy who thinks he has nothing left to prove. At this rate, he'll be lucky if another Canes' fan asks him to take a picture of them with Stormy. 

Staal … yea, something is obviously up with him that we are not aware of. Just a year ago a lot of folks thought Hamilton was total bust and were more than willing to trade him for a broken stick. Comparing Jordo's playoffs to this season it's like night and day with him but I doubt it has anything to do with his family legacy or being Captain. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, slapshot02 said:

Not against your idea of a trade,just against your thinking that Jordo and Gardiner could bring back a sniper.

Throw the extra first in 

2 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Not gonna happen.

Well, there’s still 2.5 months til trade deadline...and I doubt we sit on our hands this year 

nice to see the positives being highlighted here today after a gut wrenching situation, where bad timing was the real morbid sin that bit Gardiner, and made it so very easy to pile on the guy. Fact was, he, and every other D man played a solid, solid game against quite frankly the most opportunistic full team of hockey players I've seen in 20 years. TB 2018 included. Gardiner has had his weak moments of course, but as said by others, he had done a nice job of puck retrieval all night, and in that moment was himself, trying to make the opportunistic great play. A single mistake can be pointed to in any 0-0 game when two teams playing really well lock up, basically mirror each other in speed, goaltending and physicality for 56 minutes, and I thought an underdog team showing full well they can stack up with what is right now, the best team, whose goalie also stopped quite a few Grade A's. All of that I think moves the team forward, after the initial punch in the stomach of it going down that way wore off, and could even become the game we ice more consistently against lesser opponents, of which in my estimation, every other team in the league is. Could've been different, it wasn't. I think we'll look back in a couple months, and somewhat be able to say it was the game, that brought our level of play more in line with the team's, Roddy's, and our expectations for the long haul. Win, lose or draw, I thought it the most consistent 56 minutes of play all year in a game against a team that matched us and could.

• Like 2