The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

GDT: Sharkiez @ Canes, 5 Dec

Rod’s simple explanation on why the current Canes are more successful than past Canes teams in the shootout, he said something like ‘the shootout requires talent and we’ve got more talented players now...” 😄

• Like 3

Went to game and loved the shootout win. Couldn't believe Joe Thornton's brutal punch on Mrazek, as well as the ignorant leniency by refs for not kicking his hairy #&$ out of the game? Wonder if that act is something which will be reviewed, as certainly Petr was defenseless? 

I mean yeah, the pokes by Thorton were unnecessary, and the punch was a cheap shot, but Mrazek should have gotten 2 minutes for embellishment there lol.  What we really need to complain about was the fact that nobody took Thornton to task for it at the time it happened, or later in the game.  This team is way soft.

We picked up 2 points on the Flyers, so that's good.

Edited by coastal_caniac

If this was a 3rd or 4th liner punching Lundqvist or Holtby, the media would be SCREAMING for supplemental discipline.  But it was a grizzled respected vet against a goalie no one cares about.  That sends the WRONG message to the teams around the league.  Thornton should be fined.  If they find Pete took a dive, fine him too.  Otherwise, this could lead to open season on lesser-named goalies.

• Like 2

I agree coastal, and Forslund made comments on Aftermath on way home to that effect, related to needing someone other than Edmundson to "police" things? Seems the sentiment around here is to note that the game is getting away from that, which I agree with related to these more or less staged appearing fights, or that our perceived "speed"will get us away from these type things? Then you've got the situation like the Mrazek thing, then a call rings out for enforcement.Some how, this team desparetly needs to find a happy medium to prevent other teams from thinking that punk mode is the way to throw the Canes off their game. Yes, total team toughness can stop some of it, but who then calls out Joe Thornton on his action. And, he was after Petr all night. 

26 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

the punch was a cheap shot, but Mrazek should have gotten 2 minutes for embellishment there lol.

Yep. Just enough delay between contact and fall out. Uncalled for punch nonetheless. Problem is the league won't exercise any authority on cheap shot punches, and they happen every night usually by the more notorious cheap artists than Thornton. If they really wanted to end it, it would be an automatic match for punching anyone with their hands down. At least JT received the roughing with Peel and Southerland on the ice, which surprised me. I have to agree with AWACS that it sends the wrong message and they are mega protective of their "name" tenders. I did think the immediate response by a few guys (even Gardiner arrived rather quickly), , was enough to not be considered soft on our part. The '5 minutes later' fight is trending out of the game, and I even think may be getting discouraged by coaches at times with so much PP power distributed around the league, the risk of going down a man for starting 5 minute majors simply to prove a tough guy point, may be too much risk in so many tight and 1 goal games.

• Like 1

The rest of the league is watching. If people think they can push the Candy Canes around, they will do it. We need to respond swiftly when that 💩 starts, and furthermore, be the aggressor.  We can be physical and nasty 😡

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, surfzone365 said:

The rest of the league is watching. If people think they can push the Candy Canes around, they will do it. We need to respond swiftly when that 💩 starts, and furthermore, be the aggressor.  We can be physical and nasty 😡

Or we could just trade Calgary for Lucic, who got his first goal of the season last night 

(I keed, I keed)

I love that this team keeps getting 2 points in games that past teams would have celebrated one, or gotten none. It's funny what increased expectations and a brutal division can do for you. This team is currently on a 99 point pace. I doubt we've been on that pace at this time of year in, maybe ever? This was a quality win. San Jose is back to the level that the pundits predicted of them. 

I love the point that playing these better teams is honing our game. It really seems to be true. I guess the trick will be learning to bring that same game to the mediocre teams. 

I get the call for grit and enforcement, but enforcers are gone, so you have to find tough guys who can produce, and there really are not that many anymore. Yes, grit and hardscrabble is more needed for sure. We don't hit much or block many shots on the whole, and we could use more of that. But, we seem to be deliberately playing positionally and using our sticks to disrupt plays as a strategy, and in many areas of the ice this actually limits the physicality. But we do break up a ton of plays this way. We are tied for #2 in shots against and #8 in goals against. It seems to be working. I'll lament the lack of physical but smile at the speed, skill, hundreds of plays disrupted with sticks, oh and wins.

I still don't think Aho is on his A plus game, but maybe I'm being too tough on him. I have high expectations there.

Svech though....Rod says he still has another level. It is going to be fun watching him get there, because he is currently the #19 player in the NHL in ppg......at 19 years old. Much thanks to the ping pong balls. Franchise changing.

Gardiner giveth and Gardiner taketh away. On balance this could be a turnaround game for him. I think he needs to be firing on the offense and it might help settle the D. He has so much skill, it's all confidence, comfort with the system, and decision making. I still maintain there is historical statistical evidence he can improve the D, and the O. 

Can't wait to see this team with Necas and Haula back in there. Since I'm going tomorrow hoping for one or both back. 

Despite everything, the real story is that we've gotten solid goaltending lately. IMO that game by Mrazek is the story. At this moment we have two goalies going, and that keeps everything in reach. 

2 points. Just keep getting points.

• Like 1

If anyone was paying attention, the Christmas 🎄’s won a WILD game in Tampa last night and are sitting in WC2 in the West.  Get ready for a good game tomorrow!

29 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Just sayin...

J-Willy wouldn’t have let have that *edit* slide 

I'm thinking cooler heads prevailed and got the team to focus on the win. We can take care of Thornton and Peel later. We need the points, not a suspended player.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Or we could just trade Calgary for Lucic, who got his first goal of the season last night 

(I keed, I keed)

I’m all for another enforcer and someone who can crash the net, drop the gloves, get in opponent’s faces... even if it means a little time in the sin bin.  I’m thinking an Andrew Shaw like player who specializes in dirty work.

Edited by surfzone365

I thought the punch and the cowardly trip from behind by Karlson were evidence that what we were doing defensively had their people more off their game than they had us. Never seen either of those two do anything like that, and frustrating good teams goes a long way towards stopping their production. 

18 minutes ago, remkin said:

But we do break up a ton of plays this way. We are tied for #2 in shots against and #8 in goals against. It seems to be working

When we play that tight gap game through the middle of the ice with the forwards back checking effectively, we CAN be a real shutdown type team. They kept them outside the dots almost all night, and a better shot blocking effort on the point shot at the end of the 2nd would've stopped that one.

• Like 2

OK I'll go there. Yes, the Thornton punch was vicious. You could see in his face that he meant to harm. I should be dealt with. But Mrazek was coming at him with his goalie stick swinging like a scythe. Thornton had tried to poke the puck lose from under Mrazek's glove which started it. It was wrong, but Mrazek then came at him wildly swinging his stick. I get that the plan is to not allow those late pokes at a glove frozen puck, but it was a bit of an overreaction. 

As to the dive. If it was, it was a masterpiece, though risking hitting your head on the ice is probably not a great idea. But outside of that it looked like he might have been killed. Acting! Genius! Thank you!

I don't know that there was bias that it was Thornton vs. a non elite goalie, because of Petr's roll in escalating it with the scythe attack. 

I guess we'll see what the league thinks. 

5 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

Yeah, I'm sure they are all over this one.

We'll probably see that they don't think of it much at all.

1 hour ago, AWACSooner said:

If anyone was paying attention, the Christmas 🎄’s won a WILD game in Tampa last night and are sitting in WC2 in the West.  Get ready for a good game tomorrow!

I hate the former North Stars so on that alone, we will win 😎👍🏽

Maybe I'm too old school but I wouldn't even call Thornton's punch a cheap-shot. I mean, Raz had every reason to be ticked off at the late poke-check but after his attempted round house slash and then getting into Thornton's face, what did he think would/could happen? I think Joe reacted just like Raz may have hoped he would and we got a PP out of it. The only thing that really matters is that he managed not to hurt himself with his fainting goat- drop to the ice and that he was a major contributor in getting the win.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AWACSooner said:

Just sayin...

J-Willy wouldn’t have let have that *edit* slide 

Neither did your favorite player. Just sayin'

:D

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 06 11.42.jpg

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

fainting goat- drop

Love it.

When Tripp said he didn't embellish at all, "he's not that kind of guy," I laughed and laughed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Whaler1 said:

Neither did your favorite player. Just sayin'

:D

ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 06 11.42.jpg

I did laugh during Rod’s post-game when he was asked about what Hextall would’ve done and he just said “green light”

Ron would’ve ****ed Thornton up!

Edited by AWACSooner
  • Like 3